Climate Folks Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I am continually amazed that the people who have been consistently wrong about a warming Earth can continue to be so self confident and assholeish about it.

I would believe it more if those that were not pushing it so hard were not such huge hypocrites.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I would believe it more if those that were not pushing it so hard were not such huge hypocrites.

I need to jet set around the world to explain to you peons that you are all killing this planet, not me. Until we figure out a world wide means of open communication, I must yell at you in person about your carbon footprint.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Krakatoa was 1883 and cooled the planet by about a degree for a year or so. The eruption destroyed the island, but it reappeared 40 years later and is still active.

It also captured most of the original X-Men in Giant Size X-Men #1, which required Professor X and Cyclops to form a new X-Men team consisting of Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Sunfire, Banshee, and Thunderbird.

Wait... That was Krakoa. Nevermind, carry on.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I only have one problem with the climate change police. Every time we make a cut in emissions it probably goes up by two or three fold on the other side of the planet in China and India. If they want to make a real change they'll figure out a way to get all the nations in this world involved. I think green energy is a great option for the future for solar and wind but that should be the only way you can charge electric cars. It seems kind of ridiculous to tell everyone they should buy electric cars only to charge them off the same coal and natural gas grid we've had for years.

Hear me out - what if we got most of the countries in the world together and put together some kind of agreement?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parties_to_the_Paris_Agreement

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Whether you believe in global climate change is irrelevant. I like clean air; I like clean water and I want the soil to be free of contaminants so the crops we grown and the livestock we raise upon it are safe for me to eat. 3 damn good reasons to be good stewards of our planet's resources. I also realize we're not going to be able switch to renewable energy within the next 2 or 3 decades and even then, there will be a need for some fossil fuels. Everything that rolls on wheels needs lubricant. We need to stop politicizing matters of life and death and start using common sense. It may not affect us here and now but in a generation or two there will start to be repercussions. It would be a good idea to start now instead of waiting until it's too late.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I am continually amazed that the people who have been consistently wrong about a warming Earth can continue to be so self confident and assholeish about it.

Some people like the cucumbers pickled.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Whether you believe in global climate change is irrelevant. I like clean air; I like clean water and I want the soil to be free of contaminants so the crops we grown and the livestock we raise upon it are safe for me to eat. 3 damn good reasons to be good stewards of our planet's resources. I also realize we're not going to be able switch to renewable energy within the next 2 or 3 decades and even then, there will be a need for some fossil fuels. Everything that rolls on wheels needs lubricant. We need to stop politicizing matters of life and death and start using common sense. It may not affect us here and now but in a generation or two there will start to be repercussions. It would be a good idea to start now instead of waiting until it's too late.

Good luck with that. The world is split between people that don't believe we can predict the climate or believe any positive feedback mechanism is small and warming won't be that big of a deal, and so aren't willing to sacrifice their lifestyle now and people that are certain the science says we are on a path to doomsday, and aren't willing to sacrifice their lifestyle now. Not going to be easy to get a political coalition together to do anything now other than provide a sliver of funding for R&D to go along with the massive amount of funding for boondoggles.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Hear, hear!

+1000

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Good luck with that. The world is split between people that don't believe we can predict the climate or believe any positive feedback mechanism is small and warming won't be that big of a deal, and so aren't willing to sacrifice their lifestyle now and people that are certain the science says we are on a path to doomsday, and aren't willing to sacrifice their lifestyle now. Not going to be easy to get a political coalition together to do anything now other than provide a sliver of funding for R&D to go along with the massive amount of funding for boondoggles.

It never hurts to try. We may, as a society, at some point and time, start to actually act with some amount of reason and intelligence. Or we may very well extinct ourselves, and most everything else, from the planet. Those are our choices.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Apropos of all of this, Al Gore turned me off big time when he ran for President back in '88 & hypocrisy played a big role.

Hypocrisy, of course, is nonpartisan. Folks of all political stripes possess it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It never hurts to try. We may, as a society, at some point and time, start to actually act with some amount of reason and intelligence. Or we may very well extinct ourselves, and most everything else, from the planet. Those are our choices.

You're being dramatic. I have a dozen AR-15's, 50,000 rounds, and MRE's, rice, and canned goods stashed away, and I'm prepared to engage in cannibalism when those run out. I'm pretty confident I and people like me can keep the human race going, even if it gets a little hot and humid.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The Earth is 4.3 Billion years old. Polarity shifts are a natural occurrence over those 4.3 Billion years, and are a huge reason for changing climate and weather patterns over the history of the Earth. Human existence is a gnat's fart, in relation to the overall climate patterns of the Earth. Polarity shifts are not a favorite topic of the left. It isn't conducive to extracting tax dollars out of the masses for "climate change".

To be fair, polarity shifts are not a favorite topic of the left or the right.
- Ask a dozen randos at a Trump rally about polarity shifts and they will sound like the goobs on a Klepper youtube video.
- Ask a dozen randos at a Save the Turtles rally about polarity shifts and they will sound just as dumb.

Hell, actual science disagrees with your comments above so that doesnt help your argument.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I need to jet set around the world to explain to you peons that you are all killing this planet, not me. Until we figure out a world wide means of open communication, I must yell at you in person about your carbon footprint.

There are some frustrations when it comes to people who preach for climate change and use fossil fuels in large scale to accomplish their goal.
Perhaps you can think of them as animals in a zoo- it can be argued its inhumane to keep them there, but keeping them there educates so many about animals and habitats that the ends justify the means. Apply that to those who fly and preach reducing carbon use- if they educate enough thru their efforts then it is a net positive in the end.

Me personally? I think its absurd that anyone would fly around the world and preach about climate change. It just isnt necessary at this point.

But even if a few people do what you dislike, that seems like a dumb reason to not believe in climate change or to not want to reduce carbon emissions. Really cutting off your nose to spite your face there.
I want clean waterways, fewer chemicals in my food, less plastic in my kid's bloodstream, and fewer days with poor air quality. It is difficult for me to think anyone would want the opposite of me when it comes to those things.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Apropos of all of this, Al Gore turned me off big time when he ran for President back in '88 & hypocrisy played a big role.

Hypocrisy, of course, is nonpartisan. Folks of all political stripes possess it.

Hypocrisy is the tribute vice pays to virtue. I don't mind hypocrisy in general. If Bill Clinton or Trump or Hugh Freeze want to talk about the importance of fidelity and sexual morality, I am fine with that. It's still good advice for the individual receiving it and it seems better than them preaching the opposite. And other in the most infinitesimal margins, other people being moral and faithful doesn't increase their ability to be immoral and unfaithful.

But somebody emitting more in one private flight than the average person in the world emits in a year arguing that the peons need to be poorer and emit less carbon to save the planet is something beyond mere hypocrisy. It's status signaling. Basically flaunting that they aren't part of the lower class expected to reduce their lifestyle in order for the select to be able to emit CO2 like there is no tomorrow.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Hypocrisy is the tribute vice pays to virtue. I don't mind hypocrisy in general. If Bill Clinton or Trump or Hugh Freeze want to talk about the importance of fidelity and sexual morality, I am fine with that. It's still good advice for the individual receiving it and it seems better than them preaching the opposite. And other in the most infinitesimal margins, other people being moral and faithful doesn't increase their ability to be immoral and unfaithful.

But somebody emitting more in one private flight than the average person in the world emits in a year arguing that the peons need to be poorer and emit less carbon to save the planet is something beyond mere hypocrisy. It's status signaling. Basically flaunting that they aren't part of the lower class expected to reduce their lifestyle in order for the select to be able to emit CO2 like there is no tomorrow.

Except that those people purchase carbon offsets. But that doesn't fit the hypocrisy narrative, so it gets ignored (oh the irony).

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
To be fair, polarity shifts are not a favorite topic of the left or the right.
- Ask a dozen randos at a Trump rally about polarity shifts and they will sound like the goobs on a Klepper youtube video.
- Ask a dozen randos at a Save the Turtles rally about polarity shifts and they will sound just as dumb.

Hell, actual science disagrees with your comments above so that doesnt help your argument.

Scientist don't care about it. 1. it doesn't bring in the trillions of dollars for research. They have made entire careers off climate change. 2. Not a lot they can do about it any ways so lets keep taking money from industries and governments. Daddy got to eat.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
BoomBoom said:
Except that those people purchase carbon offsets. But that doesn't fit the hypocrisy narrative, so it gets ignored (oh the irony).
Do you really believe this makes it all okay? If those people are true believers, they wouldn’t do anything negative but everything positive. If carbon offsets were effective, all the rich people could solve the supposed man-made problem easily.
It’s like saying it’s okay to murder someone because you’ll go impregnate several “men” or women.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Scientist don't care about it. 1. it doesn't bring in the trillions of dollars for research. They have made entire careers off climate change. 2. Not a lot they can do about it any ways so lets keep taking money from industries and governments. Daddy got to eat.

Genuinely asking- what did you study in order to graduate? Can't be anything science based...your generalization in the post above clearly shows you have a disdain for science.

There is no disproving a conspiracy since one can always just respond with 'that's what they want you to think'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login