Coach Leach needs 1 more top 25 win to tie Mullen

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah I'm not sure of the folks wanting to fire him. He's made a lot of adjustments this year. He even recruited a guy with wheels. Our problem at times this year has been Jimmie's and joes, mental mistakes (both coaching and players), and executing.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
and he's only been here 2 1/2 years. It amazes me that we have fans that complain about him!
A&M is not a top 25 team. That metric is flawed and it's the reason we shouldn't have rankings prior to mid october. A&M was never a top 25 team. Kentucky is a fraud. Arkansas is a fraud. Overrated. I'm yet to be convinced that Ole Miss is any good either.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
and he's only been here 2 1/2 years. It amazes me that we have fans that complain about him!
It’s interesting going back through the Mullen years. With the one exception of 2014, every season is pretty much a carbon copy of the others. He beat the teams he should’ve beaten, and he lost to all the ranked ones.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
A&M is not a top 25 team. That metric is flawed and it's the reason we shouldn't have rankings prior to mid october. A&M was never a top 25 team. Kentucky is a fraud. Arkansas is a fraud. Overrated. I'm yet to be convinced that Ole Miss is any good either.
That goes both ways. In 2014 the only team that finished ranked was Auburn (at 23).

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
That goes both ways. In 2014 the only team that finished ranked was Auburn (at 23).
I agree with you. My statement wasn't a shot at Leach, it was a comment about the general stupidity of counting top 25 wins. I think the best way to do it is to look back and see how many wins you have against teams that finished in the top 25, not which teams were in the top 25 at the time. Early season rankings are popularity contests, and not true measures of how good teams are.

At one point, KY, A&M, Arkansas, and Ole Miss have been at or near the top ten, and we're better than all of them in my opinion. By the end of the year, at least three if not all four of them will be out of the ratings. I think Ole Miss may be in there just because of how easy their schedule is.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
When he beats tsun, I'll stop bitching about him.
Yep, that's a big part of it. Mullen had the luxury where OM was pretty bad a football during his tenure outside of a couple of years under Freeze. Just feels like most of Leach's tenure has been weird due to the COVID stuff.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Same could be said about ranked teams Mullen beat too. Teams are ranked when you beat them. I agree rankings a dumb before late October. But they do them to create matchups and hype

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I get your point, but the idea that Kentucky, Arkansas and Ole Miss (and us) are frauds is patently false. We beat up on each other and it cheapens our records to stupid people. But there's no question that those 4 teams are among the top 30 teams in the country. Drop us in other conferences and that will bear itself out.

A&M is also there in terms of potential, but they have fumbled around with the likes of App State so yeah I don't know why they are ranked.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Fans aren't the smartest. Some of the TSUN obsessors have already spoken up and proven it.

I really do wish our fanbase could unify and be a little smarter and more understanding of innovation, it would create an advantage for us to close the money/talent gap. But I guess it just can't be.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I get your point, but the idea that Kentucky, Arkansas and Ole Miss (and us) are frauds is patently false. We beat up on each other and it cheapens our records to stupid people. But there's no question that those 4 teams are among the top 30 teams in the country. Drop us in other conferences and that will bear itself out.

A&M is also there in terms of potential, but they have fumbled around with the likes of App State so yeah I don't know why they are ranked.
There's this thing called the eye test. Poll voters fall in love with names and narratives but don't use the eye test. Ole Miss is probably the only school in there (along with us) that I can justify being ranked, and I don't know that the justification is fair, given how one dimensional they are offensively and the fact that they have played nobody. Kentucky has looked terrible against inferior competition and Arkansas has also looked really bad at times. LSU is not very good either. Arkansas has one of the worst defensive secondaries in the country and Kentucky is severely deficient at the line of scrimmage and has one of the worst rushing offenses in the country despite running an offense predicated on establishing the run. If these are 8-4/7-5 teams that end up in mid tier bowls, they're probably going to get worked by teams like Kansas, Kansas State, TCU, Wake Forest, or Florida State.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Yes, the Ranking system this time of year is flawed. I remember in 2014, Dan beat Top Ten LSU, Auburn, and Texas A&M teams to achieve the Number 1 ranking for five weeks before choking at Bama and getting destroyed by OM and the Rambling Wreck that is Georgia Tech.
We finished the season at #11, Auburn was #22. TAMU and LSU weren't ranked.
So that's two top 25 wins Dan got that shouldn't be counted, right?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What's the number of wins against teams that FINISHED in the top 25? I don't know and since you had this number thought you may know?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
So, nobody in the SEC is good except Bama and UGA? And are they even good after we saw known crappy teams Mizzou and Texas push each to the limit?

Even good teams have bad games. Sometimes more than one in a row. I’ll give you that A&M isn’t great, but I’d expect OM and UK to both be ranked at season’s end. And possibly Arkansas as well….they have the potential to finish 5-1 or 6-0 after this weekend. Every game they have left on the schedule after Saturday is pretty winnable.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
So, nobody in the SEC is good except Bama and UGA? And are they even good after we saw known crappy teams Mizzou and Texas push each to the limit?

Even good teams have bad games. Sometimes more than one in a row. I’ll give you that A&M isn’t great, but I’d expect OM and UK to both be ranked at season’s end.
I agree on bad games. None of my observations in that earlier post were made in a vacuum. Those are trends across multiple opponents. Those stats are YTD. I don't know how anyone who watched the Arkansas-aTm can view it as anything more than a cripple fight, especially with the benefit of hindsight. Kentucky's troubles didn't start with Ole Miss. They struggled with Miami (OH) and Northern Illinois. A&M lost to Appalachian State. Arkansas lost to A&M and struggled with Missouri State. Ole Miss struggled with Tulsa and should have lost to Kentucky. These are flawed and grossly overrated football teams.

Edited to add: I do expect Ole Miss to be ranked at season's end. Kentucky, I'm less sure. But there are asterisks. In Ole Miss's case, their light schedule means they'll continue racking up ugly wins. In KY's case, they had an artificially high ranking early, fueled by a win over a really bad Florida team that they still allowed over 600 yards against.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Meh, I think this is just one of those years where the distance between say the 15th team and 35th team aren't going to be that great. I don't think that's abnormal, but I think the flaws are just more apparent, earlier this year.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
He actually needs 3 more wins. He also needs to win more than 7 and beat Ole Miss before I give a ****.

***This "appropriate language filter" 17ing sucks a big one

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
You could ay the same about a lot of Mullen's top 25 wins. Or any coach for that matter. Either way you slice not they are still looked at as top 25 wins

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I agree with you. My statement wasn't a shot at Leach, it was a comment about the general stupidity of counting top 25 wins. I think the best way to do it is to look back and see how many wins you have against teams that finished in the top 25, not which teams were in the top 25 at the time. Early season rankings are popularity contests, and not true measures of how good teams are.

At one point, KY, A&M, Arkansas, and Ole Miss have been at or near the top ten, and we're better than all of them in my opinion. By the end of the year, at least three if not all four of them will be out of the ratings. I think Ole Miss may be in there just because of how easy their schedule is.

A QB goes down and is out for the season in late October against Bama. What was a top10 program sitting at 7-1 after that game loses 3 of the next 4 and ends with 4 losses and out of the t25. Were they never a t25 program just because they end out of the t25?

Rankings are simply a snapshot of who is doing well at that time. As such, if a team plays another team at that time, they are playing a ranked team at that time. What that ranked team does later in the season is of no consequence to who they were and how they were ranked at that time.

To be clear, yes I recognize early t25 rankings thru the first 4 games are largely worthless after the top 5 teams since everyone else is a bit of an unknown and could impress or underwhelm once actually on the field. But that doesnt mean a team that ends unranked wasnt t25 worthy halfway thru a season.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The first game I remember was at age 6 listening to Jack when we beat tsun while Archie was sidelined with a broken arm so I'm privy to some lean times. Rankings make for fun discussion and media clicks but when you look at the overall competition in the SEC we face, when we win a SEC game, that's all that matters to me because it means somebody is doing something right running our program. Whether they are ranked, suck, or having a bad year is not as important as whether or not we beat them. When you compare our overall history and athletic budgets in the SEC, going 4-4 means those in charge are doing work and 3-5 should not warm any seats. We are lucky to be in an area of the country where there's a nice group of under the radar players that we can build a decent program with and have some occassional top 10 teams. My only complaints are the bi-polar roller coaster Leach is prone to ride and not being able to win more egg bowls lately. IMO, our # 1 priority for now should be to start dominating tsun but since I've been expecting that for so long, I've grown weary of holding my breath waiting on that to happen. I guess my emotions get the best of me because I just don't understand why anyone would want to be part of that culture and attitude.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You could ay the same about a lot of Mullen's top 25 wins. Or any coach for that matter. Either way you slice not they are still looked at as top 25 wins
I agree with you. My comments weren't a defense of Mullen or anyone else.
A QB goes down and is out for the season in late October against Bama. What was a top10 program sitting at 7-1 after that game loses 3 of the next 4 and ends with 4 losses and out of the t25. Were they never a t25 program just because they end out of the t25?

Correct, because they were a flawed team not deep enough to overcome an injury. Everyone deals with injuries. We were down how many LBs Saturday? How many OL? Our best DL hasn't played all year. Stuff happens.

My comments are really directed toward preseason and early season rankings anyway. They're popularity contests. Everyone who saw Notre Dame early knew they weren't a top 25 team, but they were still up there. Nobody who knows anything about the sport buys that Kentucky or Arkansas were ever top 10 teams. We should get six weeks into the season at least before we start ranking teams.

Reactions: hatfieldms

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
frustrated kyle broflovski GIF by South Park

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Leach is a winner without doubt. I am confident in Leach’s ability to build and maintain a quality staff more than any other MSU coach in the last 20 years. You can watch the development of every position group and see the improvement and work that is being done each year. I’d like to think that the Rogers era will be the opening act of what CML can achieve at Mississippi State given the time and resources.

Last edited:

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Leach is a winner without doubt. I am more confident in Leach’s ability to build and maintain a quality staff more than any other MSU coach in the last 20 years. You can watch the development of every position group and see the improvement and work that is being done each year. I’d like to think that the Rogers era will be the opening act of what CML can achieve at Mississippi State given the time and resources.
The game against A&M was the most complete "program" win since Leach arrived. Offense, Defense and Special Teams were all playing well. I am seeing consistent improvement and hope to see it continue. Beating Arky will go a long way toward showing the system is working.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login