Coach Prime has kicked another ant hill

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Strongly suspect this is not a big deal at all but just cannon fodder for nut jobs on both sides to make statements.
My opinion: deion should be allowed to reference his faith in passing whether that be to Christianity, Islam, or other. If it reaches a point where he is preaching the inner works of Christianity to the kids then he has stepped over a line. Imagine what DeSantis would do if there was a coach at FSU preaching Islamic teachings to the athletes. Mandatory prayers are also not okay. No one should ever feel forced to be religious, ever.

that being said it sounds like a big nothing burger and just a way to get clicks. I suspect Deion never really did anything wrong. One side protested. School had a talk with Deion where I suspect they both agreed there was nothing really there. Statement released. Other side protests. It’s the way the world works now.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Look, I started playing in peewee league and went through high school. I can't even imagine a football game without prayer. I still have trouble saying the lord's prayer with normal people because I was first taught it in a fast aggressive style. And by the end of it I still want to go run through a brick wall and eat raw meat.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
It’s really simple. All you gotta say is we are gonna have a voluntary prayer led by me. As a libertarian who lived in Boulder for 3 years, there are some PSYCHOS that live there. I can’t tell you how many times I was harassed.
PSYCHOS is a good way to put it!

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Look, I started playing in peewee league and went through high school. I can't even imagine a football game without prayer. I still have trouble saying the lord's prayer with normal people because I was first taught it in a fast aggressive style. And by the end of it I still want to go run through a brick wall and eat raw meat.
That...probably shouldn't have happened to you?

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
The separation of church and state has been extremely convoluted. In fact, that phrase is not even in the Constitution. All it says is the govt can't force you to be a certain religion (Church of England) and can't prevent you from practicing whatever religion you desire. It was never meant to say religious displays could not be on public property or to keep coaches from praying before or after a game. Now if the police came to your door and said convert to Baptist or we will throw you in prison and take your kids...then you have a violation.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The separation of church and state has been extremely convoluted. In fact, that phrase is not even in the Constitution. All it says is the govt can't force you to be a certain religion (Church of England) and can't prevent you from practicing whatever religion you desire. It was never meant to say religious displays could not be on public property or to keep coaches from praying before or after a game. Now if the police came to your door and said convert to Baptist or we will throw you in prison and take your kids...then you have a violation.
It really is this simple. Back in our early years when public schools were strapped for resources for books, children read from The Bible to enhance their reading skills. The Constitution's clear meaning is individual religious liberty, NOT government interference and restrictions.

reb writer

Oct 13, 2021
It really is this simple. Back in our early years when public schools were strapped for resources for books, children read from The Bible to enhance their reading skills. The Constitution's clear meaning is individual religious liberty, NOT government interference and restrictions.
Rebel here. LOVE you guys attitude +++++++

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
So you would be fine if we hired a Muslim coach and he led the team in a prayer to Allah before every game? It has to go both ways. Now if you are speaking of him praying privately, even if it is sight of others, I apologize. Never understood people getting pissed off about that.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Prime says I AM THE LIGHT OF THE DOPE SMOKING STATE.

The Big Lebowski Whatever GIF

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
That isn't what it meant. In the usage of the day an established church was one supported by tax dollars.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
So you would be fine if we hired a Muslim coach and he led the team in a prayer to Allah before every game? It has to go both ways. Now if you are speaking of him praying privately, even if it is sight of others, I apologize. Never understood people getting pissed off about that.
So long as it was voluntary I don't care. I don't want him forcing anyone whether it be Muslim, Christian, Hindu, or otherwise. And you should be able to do it in full view of the public. I think everybody should be able to pray to whoever or whatever they want to before a game. Or not. I may draw the line at Jobu wanting a live chicken sacrifice.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
So long as it was voluntary I don't care. I don't want him forcing anyone whether it be Muslim, Christian, Hindu, or otherwise. And you should be able to do it in full view of the public. I think everybody should be able to pray to whoever or whatever they want to before a game. Or not. I may draw the line at Jobu wanting a live chicken sacrifice.
Then you and I are in complete agreement.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I thought we already had a Scientologist 2009 - 2017?**

• Haha
Reactions: HailStout

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
No. I think there is a good argument for not having teachers or coaches praying with elementary school students and I guess Jr. High students. But I think once you get to high school as long as the teacher/coach isn't pressuring people, it's not hurting anybody. It's not hard to sit quietly through a prayer.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Does "religious freedom" mean something different than religious freedom?
As long as it is volunteer, then no. If Deion uses this interactions as any indication on who plays or who doesn... then yes.
Better if he let someone outside the coaching staff run this thing, to tell you the truth. Any team building interaction, even a prayer training situation, could lead to differential treatment between the guy that believes in magic and other guys on the team that just want to play football.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Deion's not forcing anyone to participate as it's all voluntary meaning nobody has a right to biatch. Deion has the right to preach about Jesus as much as his likes as it's a God Given Right on American Soil.
The issue is not explicit forced participation. The issue is when players feel obligated to participate in order to please the coach or in order to not be ostracized/left out by teammates. That feeling is very real, even if you claim it isnt.
When there is an imbalanced power dynamic, the group with less power can feel an obligation to do things and those with power must be aware so they do not make people feel obligated to do things they otherwise wouldnt do.

Reactions: Villagedawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The issue is not explicit forced participation. The issue is when players feel obligated to participate in order to please the coach or in order to not be ostracized/left out by teammates. That feeling is very real, even if you claim it isnt.
When there is an imbalanced power dynamic, the group with less power can feel an obligation to do things and those with power must be aware so they do not make people feel obligated to do things they otherwise wouldnt do.
A person's discomfort doesn't trump anothers freedom of religion.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
A person's discomfort doesn't trump anothers freedom of religion.
How is this still a thing?

A public state employee at a public institution cant initiate prayer or religious activity. If individuals acting privately choose to pray, that is acceptable.
This is based on Santa Fe ISD v Doe back when I was in college 20+ years ago.

A coach can pray. Nobody is stopping a coach from praying, therefore your concern that someone's religious freedom is being trumped is not applicable.
This article specifically cites what I posted about earlier- the concern for players being pressured to pray.
Now with that said, it is ironic that you dont recognize that if someone feels compelled to participate in prayer they dont personally agree with, that they should just apparently suck it up and do so. After all, where is their freedom of religion? All this goes back to the power dynamic- a coach has an influence on playing time and if someone perceives participation is expected, they no longer have that freedom you so dearly claim to hold in high regard.

Now with this said, the current circus that is SCOTUS ruled in Kennedy v Bremerton that a coach can pray when students and observers are nearby. One side took that ruling and immediately misconstrued it in order to get some talking points for their narrative going in the social discourse, but ultimately what was decided was very limited in scope.
Abington SD's ruling still stands- public school employees cant lead students in prayer. In Kennedy, players werent asked to join.
Again, a coach can absolutely pray on their own.

Nuance and complex navigation thru confusing and detailed issues isnt typically a strong point of SPS, so if you dont understand and instead just rant away with ignorant outrage, I will understand.

Reactions: Villagedawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
How is this still a thing?

A public state employee at a public institution cant initiate prayer or religious activity. If individuals acting privately choose to pray, that is acceptable.
This is based on Santa Fe ISD v Doe back when I was in college 20+ years ago.

A coach can pray. Nobody is stopping a coach from praying, therefore your concern that someone's religious freedom is being trumped is not applicable.
This article specifically cites what I posted about earlier- the concern for players being pressured to pray.
Now with that said, it is ironic that you dont recognize that if someone feels compelled to participate in prayer they dont personally agree with, that they should just apparently suck it up and do so. After all, where is their freedom of religion? All this goes back to the power dynamic- a coach has an influence on playing time and if someone perceives participation is expected, they no longer have that freedom you so dearly claim to hold in high regard.

Now with this said, the current circus that is SCOTUS ruled in Kennedy v Bremerton that a coach can pray when students and observers are nearby. One side took that ruling and immediately misconstrued it in order to get some talking points for their narrative going in the social discourse, but ultimately what was decided was very limited in scope.
Abington SD's ruling still stands- public school employees cant lead students in prayer. In Kennedy, players werent asked to join.
Again, a coach can absolutely pray on their own.

Nuance and complex navigation thru confusing and detailed issues isnt typically a strong point of SPS, so if you dont understand and instead just rant away with ignorant outrage, I will understand.
You are ignoring the constitution. And I don't care about recent court rulings.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
As long as it is volunteer, then no. If Deion uses this interactions as any indication on who plays or who doesn... then yes.
Better if he let someone outside the coaching staff run this thing, to tell you the truth. Any team building interaction, even a prayer training situation, could lead to differential treatment between the guy that believes in magic and other guys on the team that just want to play football.
That could happen with any difference we may have and lead to preferential treatment. Can’t we be realistic about it?

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I had a teacher/coach pray at an assembly thanking God for blessing our country with nuclear weapons and to give our President the courage to use it --on China or Russia, but it may have been Iran.
Good times.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You are ignoring the constitution. And I don't care about recent court rulings.

^ Yep, this is about the least surprising thing Ive read in weeks.
The last comment in my previous post was scarily on point.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
^ Yep, this is about the least surprising thing Ive read in weeks.
The last comment in my previous post was scarily on point.

The constitution defends the right to practice religious freedom, not the right to protect your hurt feelings. Deions not establishing a state church with required attendance.

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Yep, saying I can't pray on public property is just as bad as saying I have to pray on public property. Majority of that locker room is made of blacks. The black community is very religious. Just watch every Mississippi State home game. Majority of both teams always head to the endzone to pray. I seriously doubt anyone in the locker room feels uncomfortable. In fact, I would think majority of them appreciates it.

Reactions: aTotal360

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The constitution defends the right to practice religious freedom, not the right to protect your hurt feelings.
Protect my hurt feelings? That isnt even what this is about.
The fact that you dont care about court rulings, which are the official interpretation of the document you continue to cite, is flooded in irony.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login