Cohen not allowing Diamond Girls back on the field?

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Fair enough. I agree.

And that will be the excuse I use when it happens. However, it is still a bad look.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
this is very real.....and apparently, a lot of folks in the baseball world give a 17 about it.....I could care less one way or the other, but to be honest, it is a bad look.....and with everyone else going forward with it, we will be the butt end of a joke regarding this....watch and see....

You “don’t care one way or the other”, yet you started the thread….anyway, moving on….

The donations thing, specifically, would be very fake news. Cohen involvement is also fake news. As stated previously by others, Lemonis is the ultimate CEO of everything that happens inside the stadium on gameday, and even many things that happen outside the stadium too. If he wants them, they’ll be out there. If he doesn’t want them, they won’t be out there. If he doesn’t care one way or the other, then neither should you or anyone else on this alleged sports message board.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
I hope we get rid of the bat girls all together and go the Texas A&M route.

The bat boys can dress in overalls since we are an Ag school. When they pick up the bats they can use them as a prop like a cane and do a 1920s Charleston Shuffle dance back to the dugout to fire up the crowd. Our fans will love it.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
This makes me wonder if this decision would be made if a guy threatened to sue if he wasn’t allowed to be a “Diamond Girl” and the school just said screw it all and canceled the program instead of making a sideshow of the baseball program.
In no way am I saying this happened but it did get me to thinking.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
If Lemonis doesn’t want it, I don’t want it. Could be that he has seen it be a distraction before. Hell, there could be several players ex girlfriends on the squad. He could just not want people outside the players touching the bats and balls. He doesn’t know where they have been and if they are currently sick. Could be anything. I have a hard time caring about this.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Good gosh….how deep are you going to dig this hole for yourself? The school has exclusive control over the entire existence of the Diamond Girls. They are the only ones making the call. You’re saying people are donating to somebody else to try and bring them back? Did you even attempt to apply any critical thinking before spewing this keyboard diarrhea?

They're donating to get the initiative pushed. It's not going to the school. Come on man. I just wonder why you're upset because people brought up something going on at the school, and with the beloved baseball program. Nobody cares if you agree with it. Hell, I have no skin in that game. I'm just telling you about it since it was brought up. And when a number of former players and alumni are on board, and Cohen had to make a statement, well, it's a relevant 17ing discussion.

Last edited:

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the only thing they do on the field is sit by the dugout, and when a player is finished batting, they walk over and pick up the bat and carry it back to the dugout? I have a hard time understanding why anyone really cares about this.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the only thing they do on the field is sit by the dugout, and when a player is finished batting, they walk over and pick up the bat and carry it back to the dugout? I have a hard time believing why anyone really cares about this.

My understanding (which is simply what I've heard) is that it's a big deal on campus for the girls. They say a few hundred try out every year and only a handful make the cut. It's like a "traditional" type thing. The girls have to actually know MSU baseball, supposedly, and be tested on it etc. etc. etc.
We've got a couple former players here. Maybe they can discuss if they know anything.

Last edited:

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
I hope we get rid of the bat girls all together and go the Texas A&M route.

The bat boys can dress in overalls since we are an Ag school. When they pick up the bats they can use them as a prop like a cane and do a 1920s Charleston Shuffle dance back to the dugout to fire up the crowd. Our fans will love it.

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. If we copy anything those weirdo’s do I’ll just keep away from MState athletics

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Man…..This is sounding more and more like a deal where the girls and (more importantly) the parents of the girls aren’t getting their way and are pitching a fit. No matter how much they want to believe it they are not really a part of the baseball team, they are not. I know they like telling their friends that “my daughter is a diamond girl”. Nobody really cares.

My kids would like to be on the field too. Should I start a petition?

To a third party observer, this looks like the “I’ll just go start my own travel ball team” group.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
But they do other things other than be bat girls, right? They aren’t disbanding the whole program. Just not letting them go on the field. This is from their Facebook page.

“The Diamond Girls are most visible on game days at Dudy Noble Field, serving as hosts and distributing programs to fans as they enter the stadium, operating the stadium’s souvenir and gift stand, and serving on the field during games as bat handlers.”

Maroonbulldog

Mar 3, 2008
They have been in danger of being shut down for a number of years. Not sure why, but this topic isn’t something new.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Man…..This is sounding more and more like a deal where the girls and (more importantly) the parents of the girls aren’t getting their way and are pitching a fit. No matter how much they want to believe it they are not really a part of the baseball team, they are not. I know they like telling their friends that “my daughter is a diamond girl”. Nobody really cares.

My kids would like to be on the field too. Should I start a petition?

To a third party observer, this looks like the “I’ll just go start my own travel ball team” group.

That's what I thought til I saw who was pushing to keep them.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the only thing they do on the field is sit by the dugout, and when a player is finished batting, they walk over and pick up the bat and carry it back to the dugout? I have a hard time understanding why anyone really cares about this.

Count me in the group that does not give a ****. I like the tradition of the diamond girls and I’m not sure why we would not have them anymore but I really don’t care if they go away.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
But they do other things other than be bat girls, right? They aren’t disbanding the whole program. Just not letting them go on the field. This is from their Facebook page.

“The Diamond Girls are most visible on game days at Dudy Noble Field, serving as hosts and distributing programs to fans as they enter the stadium, operating the stadium’s souvenir and gift stand, and serving on the field during games as bat handlers.”

This is correct. They just won't be on the field and appears will be fewer of them.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
This makes me wonder if this decision would be made if a guy threatened to sue if he wasn’t allowed to be a “Diamond Girl” and the school just said screw it all and canceled the program instead of making a sideshow of the baseball program.
In no way am I saying this happened but it did get me to thinking.

I don't know, but it's time to move our men's basketball players to the women's based on what I've seen from both. Let's go get a championship!**

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
My understanding (which is simply what I've heard) is that it's a big deal on campus for the girls. They say a few hundred try out every year and only a handful make the cut. It's like a "traditional" type thing. The girls have to actually know MSU baseball, supposedly, and be tested on it etc. etc. etc.
We've got a couple former players here. Maybe they can discuss if they know anything.

Diamond girls are not going away.

Steve published an article about it yesterday.

They will do all the same stuff as usual without being on the field. Hope to resume the on the field again in 2023.

Article said we are limiting the number of people who have close contact to team on the field like every other sport.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Diamond girls are not going away.

Steve published an article about it yesterday.

They will do all the same stuff as usual without being on the field. Hope to resume the on the field again in 2023.

Article said we are limiting the number of people who have close contact to team on the field like every other sport.

No **** Sherlock. This has all been noted already. And that article came out after school Admins got hammered over it all.

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
If it’s already established for you, then your your post makes no sense. You said it’s a big deal on campus from what you’ve heard and you explained the tradition like it’s news to you. Steve’s article covered all that. So either you didn’t know what was in Steve’s article, or you read it & can’t comprehend it.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Or he’s just trying to stir up **** and get people pissed at Cohen. My vote goes to that.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
If it’s already established for you, then your your post makes no sense. You said it’s a big deal on campus from what you’ve heard and you explained the tradition like it’s news to you. Steve’s article covered all that. So either you didn’t know what was in Steve’s article, or you read it & can’t comprehend it.

So another dumb cooterpoot thread that is essentially bitching about Cohen when he has absolutely no idea what’s going on. Sounds about right

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I think we need to correctly identify the ones doing the ‘canceling’ in this situation.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Straight from someone who would know, Cohen doesn’t like the Diamond Girls and is a big jerk. The tennis team wanted ball girls and he didn’t like that, so he said no team could have them. Other teams in the state and conference are letting them work. It’s ridiculous.

End of summation, posted without opinion or comment from me.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
No but they are hoping to pickup

Originally Posted by onewoof
Does the softball team have bat boys?

The Diamond Girls

Ha!......ISWYDT ^^^​

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012

I haven't read it. But I know it resolved nothing. People still pissed. Using Covid is an excuse. Like I said, I just report the news. Your opinion is yours. But if you go look at that petition, you'll see a **** load of who's who of MSU.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I haven't read it. But I know it resolved nothing. People still pissed. Using Covid is an excuse. Like I said, I just report the news. Your opinion is yours. But if you go look at that petition, you'll see a **** load of who's who of MSU.

Then they can take it up with our national championship winning head coach on the matter, and try to change his mind if they care that much. This whole thread is nonsense.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Sure- maybe covid is an excuse in this instance. I read an article a couple days ago about this and thought 'covid is why they cant be out there?...odd' and then promptly moved on with my life. You should try that- let it go.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
The Diamond Girls got scholarships and that was a huge help for some families, but seriously... they are not an integral part of the college baseball experience.

AND.... we won the Natty without them. Let's not 17 this up.

Let it go, people. Let it go.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login