College Basketball Bidding War for recruits

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Wonder how that is calculated. The #22 player signed a puma deal last year and has a large social media following so I get why he is valued so high, but others?...why is one worth $334k while another is worth $331k?

Bronny James being listed highest is obvious.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I've spent exactly 0 seconds researching this but my best guess is the NIL values are based on values set for normal "influencer" rates.
I.E.- if you have 100k followers you should be worth X amount because your posts will garner Y amount of attention.

Maybe they are doing some add-ons for known NIL contracts but it looks like it's mostly calculated by number of followers on social media.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I guess I lied about the 0 research but according to stats online, a 1mil view social media video is worth about $5000 so obviously people with astronomical followers will be assumed to have higher NIL rates.

Last edited:

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
A smart person might be able to figure out a way to game the system such that all our players get more followers. Then we watch their content so they get paid more.

Recruits would see our guys get more views than other schools and thus make extra money.

it sounds too good to be true but views = money = recruits. Welcome to whatever, ...it is what it is

BTW, go Braves, 17 the Mets

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login