College Costs......

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I think this has been discussed here before but this is a good article. I tend to agree with most of it. When the government gets involved in paying for something its almost investable that costs will explode. Healthcare is the most blatant example but there are a ton of them. That statement has some small relevance in all the housing discussions on here too. Have at it!

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Well, government pulling funds from educational institutions IS helping run up tuition. It's going to come out of everyone's pockets whether on the front end or back end. Meaning, you get taxed to help pay for education or you get taxed to payoff education expense.

Reactions: Southern Law Dawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I think this has been discussed here before but this is a good article. I tend to agree with most of it. When the government gets involved in paying for something its almost investable that costs will explode. Healthcare is the most blatant example but there are a ton of them. That statement has some small relevance in all the housing discussions on here too. Have at it!

It's a completely out of control system. I hate it, but it's going to be interesting to watch how this plays out over the next 20 or so years.

Technology seems to be making education much more cheaply attainable. I don't think university administration is going to be the place to be going forward.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012

It's not the government, it's the damn parents who have been increasingly insisting for the last 30 years that little Johnny isn't going to live in a cinderblock square and eat at a cafeteria for his 5 years of undergrad. So there's been an arms race to build the nicest dorms, intramural fields, unions, etc. Look at that article you posted. It is insane.

At the same time around 2007 all those states that passed balanced budget amendments back in the 90s found themselves in a huge hole, and filled it by cutting higher edu aid like there was no tomorrow. State schools are funded by the states, get it? The feds followed suit because freshman congress people figured they could make their bones by bitching about research grants and the like. We used to see colleges as a public good and an investment in an informed citizenry, but that's pretty much gone now. Cost is a pass-through to students and parents, just like a private college.

Meanwhile the idea of shared governance by the faculty is pretty much gone now (faculty actually used to help run the school as part of their job, so no additional cost!), and been replaced with 5 layers of middle management who pull down hefty salaries and spend their time figuring out how to add bodies to their departments. Once that happened, those genius administrators figured they didn't need senior faculty at all, they could adjunct classes for 3K a pop no benefits, as most students were more worried about the dorm dimensions that who was teaching the classes, so we're down to about 30% of classes actually taught by full-time faculty. Tenure is now reserved for research faculty who can score the grants, which means you never take a class with them because they can buy themselves out of teaching.

The best part is we're hitting a demographic cliff because people stopped having babies during the great recession (they're hitting their senior year) and never started again, which means all these schools are competing for a smaller and smaller pool of traditional students - now that they've spent billions building resort U.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

Cool story, bro

If Government funding medical care INCREASED COSTS, the why are costs HIGHER in the USA with our less goverment controlled healthcare system, than in all other Developed nations that have socialized, government run healthcare.
In 2021, the U.S. spent 17.8 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) on health care, nearly twice as much as the average OECD country. Health spending per person in the U.S. was nearly two times higher than in the closest country, Germany, and four times higher than in South Korea.

. Too bad the Data says that the REDUCTION in State Government funding of higher education is the reason Tuition costs have exploded the the last few decades. Higher ed has to make up for the funding cuts, and it was done via increased tuition. Which lead to more Student loans, which hide the true cost of college.

Cites:

PS CRAZY that you think housing going up 2-5x over the past decade is because of Dryers and College costs too much because of goverment spending...

Reactions: Southern Law Dawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
State contributions are down, tuition and fees are up, colleges are awash in student loan money, tax breaks, tax exempt land and are loaded with administrators. Decent size universities have more diversity staff than history profs. And those amenities for students. Lots of reasons for outrageous prices of higher ed, something the youngins are right to complain about: Colleges Spend Like There’s No Tomorrow. ‘These Places Are Just Devouring Money.’ - WSJ

Last edited:

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
Cool story, bro

If Government funding medical care INCREASED COSTS, the why are costs HIGHER in the USA with our less goverment controlled healthcare system, than in all other Developed nations that have socialized, government run healthcare.

. Too bad the Data says that the REDUCTION in State Government funding of higher education is the reason Tuition costs have exploded the the last few decades. Higher ed has to make up for the funding cuts, and it was done via increased tuition. Which lead to more Student loans, which hide the true cost of college.

Cites:

PS CRAZY that you think housing going up 2-5x over the past decade is because of Dryers and College costs too much because of goverment spending...
US healthcare cost are high for a multitude of reasons. With an economic matrix that large you can't pin it on one thing.
I think college cost and college spending is probably the same story, but my theory on the biggest driver in the increase over the past twenty years is historically low interest rates / cheap money that primed the pump for student loans and government backed bond issuances.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Cool story, bro

Cites:

We have socialized healthcare. It's called Medicare. Europe typically has government and private side by side. European government-run systems typically don't cover things medicare covers in the final stages of life. The elderly vote and get taken care of and caring for them is expensive. American women in particular are treated well: 75% of healthcare dollars are spent on women. Hospitals and insurance companies drive up prices and make up for what they don't make from patients on medicare. Western Europe also has more docs per capita than we do. (BTW, western Europe also has more cops per capita than we do as well.) What this means is, you need to get to work, get married and have kids because in the not-so-distant future I'll be on Medicare. We need you, your wife and those kids to tax and keep funding our welfare state.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
We have socialized healthcare. It's called Medicare. Europe typically has government and private side by side. European government-run systems typically don't cover things medicare covers in the final stages of life. The elderly vote and get taken care of and caring for them is expensive. American women in particular are treated well: 75% of healthcare dollars are spent on women. Hospitals and insurance companies drive up prices and make up for what they don't make from patients on medicare. Western Europe also has more docs per capita than we do. (BTW, western Europe also has more cops per capita than we do as well.) What this means is, you need to get to work, get married and have kids because in the not-so-distant future I'll be on Medicare. We need you, your wife and those kids to tax and keep funding our welfare state.
And we pay 2x for it to not cover everyone, plus MOST of the country pays and additional $15,000 a year for private coverage...

The us is middle of the pack in Doctors and Nurses in OECD https://www.oecd.org/coronavirus/en/data-insights/number-of-medical-doctors-and-nurses

LOL that american women are treated even DECENT in the US healthcare system.
Of the 14 OECD countries, we are the worst.
Worst in maternal deaths,
worst in prenatal care,
worst in access to care,
highest death rate from avoidable causes.
Lower life expectancy
More Stress about healthcare

Now add in they cannot make their own health decisions...

Of the ENTIRE WORLD we rank 23rd in women's healthcare. (that's right 6 non OECD countries are better than us)

Insurance Companies made $10,000 per US family last year. I'm sure all those people work for free***

So yeah, blame the women, Andrew Tate.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
And we pay 2x for it to not cover everyone, plus MOST of the country pays and additional $15,000 a year for private coverage...

The us is middle of the pack in Doctors and Nurses in OECD https://www.oecd.org/coronavirus/en/data-insights/number-of-medical-doctors-and-nurses

LOL that american women are treated even DECENT in the US healthcare system.
Of the 14 OECD countries, we are the worst.
Worst in maternal deaths,
worst in prenatal care,
worst in access to care,
highest death rate from avoidable causes.
Lower life expectancy
More Stress about healthcare

Now add in they cannot make their own health decisions...

Of the ENTIRE WORLD we rank 23rd in women's healthcare. (that's right 6 non OECD countries are better than us)

Insurance Companies made $10,000 per US family last year. I'm sure all those people work for free***

So yeah, blame the women, Andrew Tate.
At least you're a reasonable guy, well read with acute critical thinking skills who doesn't overreact and leap to juvenile conclusions such as ones that claim women can't make their own healthcare decisions and uses all caps thinking that makes an opinion more believable. Lemme guess, you don't actually know any women and likely have trouble unhooking a bra. So you point to a study that confirms what I wrote about the number of docs in western Europe and act like I said something bizarre and then you hyperventilate over something I didn't even write. Serious question: How old are you? And what possessed you to think I'm unaware of disparities between the US and western European healthcare systems when I mentioned one in the post you overreacted to. Me pointing out more money is spent on women. You: How dare you say women have it decent. They have no control over their healthcare and they're dying, yada yada yada. I guess I shouldn't say that women live about 7 years longer than men in the US and black women live longer than white men. HOW DARE YOU SAY BLACK WOMEN HAVE IT EASY IN AMERICA. YOU'RE JUST LIKE HITLER AND THAT TATE GUY. You're gonna make me start disliking middle schoolers.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

There’s been a huge drop off in males going to college.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
There’s been a huge drop off in males going to college.

Women are doing well academically. They get most college degrees and are going to graduate and professional schools in greater numbers. I think they may already outnumber male applicants to med schools and law schools. Much of the woke climate on college campuses is because of the presence of women. They're more likely to support safety culture, limitations on free speech the social justice ideology than men. Men and women are also diverging in political affiliation. More young women are Dems and more young men are Reps. ($10 bucks says I just invited a response from hyper little dumba$$ attacking something I didn't even write.)

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
College is still free to those of us who actually belonged there. Most of you would have been better off at a trade school.
Glad you weren't around when I was working in a good-paying but tedious job in my late 20s, and I decided to go to night school at the local JC. I had to go for four years, a couple of classes at a time, until I could leave my job and go full time, including summer sessions, until I graduated in December 1996 from MSU. The first one on either side of my family to get a Bachelor's degree. Now several of the younger family members have graduated.

Just for the record in 1980 I was going to college on a full ride and I quit 1981 because I felt like I not accomplishing anything and wasting money. They didn't offer scholarships or grants to older students when I went back to college.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Just for the record in 1980 I was going to college on a full ride and I quit 1981 because I felt like I not accomplishing anything and wasting money. They didn't offer scholarships or grants to older students when I went back to college.

I made this mistake as a dumbass 17 year old. Had a full ride to state but I wanted to piss my mom off so I joined the national guard then went to community college living on my own. After a year I realized my mistake and went to state. That free ride vanished. Not that I would have kept it. Even at 19 I was still a dumbass and had some impressively low gpa semesters.

I had a 4.0 my last 2 years of college and still only had a 2.7 overall, I was a serious dumbass until about 21, then just a normal dumbass until kids.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Women are doing well academically. They get most college degrees and are going to graduate and professional schools in greater numbers. I think they may already outnumber male applicants to med schools and law schools. Much of the woke climate on college campuses is because of the presence of women. They're more likely to support safety culture, limitations on free speech the social justice ideology than men. Men and women are also diverging in political affiliation. More young women are Dems and more young men are Reps. ($10 bucks says I just invited a response from hyper little dumba$$ attacking something I didn't even write.)
I’ve read some speculation that men’s online lives have made them less ambitious irl, and that all of this is a contributor to some of the mental health issues that seem more prevalent than times past. Also speculation that it will further fuel depression as women are unlikely to “marry down” if they are ambitious with a college degree. I hope all that’s wrong and these dudes are hitting up trade school and doing well.

Reactions: PK Dawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I made this mistake as a dumbass 17 year old. Had a full ride to state but I wanted to piss my mom off so I joined the national guard then went to community college living on my own. After a year I realized my mistake and went to state. That free ride vanished. Not that I would have kept it. Even at 19 I was still a dumbass and had some impressively low gpa semesters.

I had a 4.0 my last 2 years of college and still only had a 2.7 overall, I was a serious dumbass until about 21, then just a normal dumbass until kids.
Many of us were very adept at being dumbasses at that age. You didn't suffer alone.

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
Glad you weren't around when I was working in a good-paying but tedious job in my late 20s, and I decided to go to night school at the local JC. I had to go for four years, a couple of classes at a time, until I could leave my job and go full time, including summer sessions, until I graduated in December 1996 from MSU. The first one on either side of my family to get a Bachelor's degree. Now several of the younger family members have graduated.

So you quit In 1981. Sounds like you didn’t really belong then and would have been better suited elsewhere, like a trade school?

• Haha
Reactions: NukeDogg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
So you quit In 1981. Sounds like you didn’t really belong then and would have been better suited elsewhere, like a trade school?
Eh. I don’t know if I agree with that.

While it does sound like he felt out of place, it may have been more so because his family didn’t have a history of attending four-year colleges and universities.

Counseling services were really limited back then.

Folks here have posted about not being fans of administrative offices having much higher numbers than in the past.

But counselors are one of the sectors that’s needed.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
College is still free to those of us who actually belonged there. Most of you would have been better off at a trade school.

Awful...
Since you didn't use sarcasteriks, I'm assuming you are one of those people that made a 30 on his ACT, ended up becoming an english or history major, and now makes a lot less than I do.
But go ahead and feel good about your high school achievements 30 years ago.

• Love
Reactions: PK Dawg

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
17 you. I have seen some bad post on SPS over the years but you win the prize.

He’s actually correct and the anger without any reasonable response proves that point.

And, it’s not an insult either. In this country, we need blue collar workers that make great wages moreso than 10 million social workers living with their parents.

Reactions: Boom Boom

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004

Over the past 40 years, the annual rate of inflation has been around 2.5%. The annual increase in costs of college have been 7.8%.

There was a time when you could work part time during the school year, overtime during the summer, and pay for your education. Now, you have to have financial aid to fill in even if you do work like this.

Reactions: ChE1997

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
At least you're a reasonable guy, well read with acute critical thinking skills who doesn't overreact and leap to juvenile conclusions such as ones that claim women can't make their own healthcare decisions and uses all caps thinking that makes an opinion more believable. Lemme guess, you don't actually know any women and likely have trouble unhooking a bra. So you point to a study that confirms what I wrote about the number of docs in western Europe and act like I said something bizarre and then you hyperventilate over something I didn't even write. Serious question: How old are you? And what possessed you to think I'm unaware of disparities between the US and western European healthcare systems when I mentioned one in the post you overreacted to. Me pointing out more money is spent on women. You: How dare you say women have it decent. They have no control over their healthcare and they're dying, yada yada yada. I guess I shouldn't say that women live about 7 years longer than men in the US and black women live longer than white men. HOW DARE YOU SAY BLACK WOMEN HAVE IT EASY IN AMERICA. YOU'RE JUST LIKE HITLER AND THAT TATE GUY. You're gonna make me start disliking middle schoolers.
You said "American women in particular are treated well" by the US healthcare system.
Based on real outcomes and policies, that's an absurd statement.

Newsflash: Women live longer than Men everywhere.... But AMERICAN women don't live as long as other OECD MEN, despite our higher Public and private spending on healthcare.

But call me childish, Mr Misogynist...

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
He’s actually correct and the anger without any reasonable response proves that point.

And, it’s not an insult either. In this country, we need blue collar workers that make great wages moreso than 10 million social workers living with their parents.
Bull. He is passing arrogant judgement regarding himself vs everyone else that post and reads here. He doesn’t know us or anything about our skills and abilities. That’s nothing against blue collar workers. I know plenty that are very sharp successful people. However, for him to say that he deserved to go to college for free and most of the rest of us here didn’t deserve to go at all is nothing but total snotty arrogance. I might have been valedictorian of mY high school for all he knows or made 30 on the ACT Test. I wasn’t and didn’t but he doesn’t know that about me or probably anyone else on this board. With that attitude he needs to go be a Rebel.

Reactions: ChE1997

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I would agree that most people are better off at trade school, but the first part is insanely untrue. Not everyone is "misfortunate enough" to meet the qualifications of the pell grant or MESG and the likes, but if it was only academic elitists like you at college nobody would want to be there in the first place

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Hate to interrupt your subtle anti-government rant, but student loans are just that, LOANS. They must be paid back.

So it's the people that are overspending here, not the government. Government is actually making money on it (they aren't going to forgive these loans).

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Utter BS. How did your head fit through the doors at Allen Hall?

ETA: My apologies because that was harsh. Are there some people who go to college for the wrong reasons and aren't really cut out to be successful? Yes. Is it a matter of being "smart"? Not usually. It's a matter of how you learn and what you enjoy.

The way I read your post, you were setting yourself up as way smarter than all the people who were "too dumb to make it". I probably misinterpreted your intent/meaning.

Last edited:
Reactions: HRMSU and ChE1997

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I tried that for a semester, but that didn't work either. Don't worry, I don't take it personally. I ran to several people like you when I was in college, but even more, when I got to work in a job that was more satisfying and took me all over the country. I often wonder what my life would be like if I had stayed in that manufacturing job all these years.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Well, government pulling funds from educational institutions IS helping run up tuition. It's going to come out of everyone's pockets whether on the front end or back end. Meaning, you get taxed to help pay for education or you get taxed to payoff education expense.
They really aren't, they are just spending it differently. Instead of giving it directly to the schools to support them, they are providing tuition assistance and research grants.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Cool story, bro

Cites:

You do know the government either directly or indirectly sets pretty much all healthcare reimbursement rates don't you? They pay a LARGE percentage of the costs directly through Medicare. Look up how much healthcare spending occurs in the last year of life. The government pays nearly all of that.

So universities have done nothing except pass costs along then? The government has no say in it at all. I wasn't aware that Pell Grants government backed student loans and the like had been done away with.

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Hate to interrupt your subtle anti-government rant, but student loans are just that, LOANS. They must be paid back.

So it's the people that are overspending here, not the government. Government is actually making money on it (they aren't going to forgive these loans).
The government is enabling a lot of people to go to college that in days past would not have. That is upping demand for college places. When the demand goes up, what happens to price?

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023

He may be somewhat correct. But the fact that scholarship money is largely determined based off one test score makes it difficult for people.

I had over a 4.0 weighted GPA in high school. Grades came easy for me. But I couldn’t score higher than a 26 on the ACT no matter how much I tried. I wasn’t offered a dime by MSU or Ole Miss.

My mother was a teacher and harped on and on about grades my entire school life. I can’t and didn’t do the same to my kids because I know that it all ultimately comes down to that test score. In the grand scheme of things, your grades don’t mean **** UNLESS you have that ability to score 30+ on the ACT.

it just doesn’t happen easily for a lot of kids

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Yep.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The government is enabling a lot of people to go to college that in days past would not have. That is upping demand for college places. When the demand goes up, what happens to price?
Blame the parents. They are choosing status over what's practical/best. Costs are not high at JUCO and the smaller public colleges. But just like ole Rebecca on Full House proved, it's all about being able to brag to others about what college they are going to.

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Also, I worked with a few highly intellectual people over the years and most of them were so dysfunctional in the workplace that they were very poor in the performance of their duties. They didn’t communicate well and their general attitude toward others created a very poor working relationship. I have a relative that fits this mold and while she is very successful in the world of academia, she wouldn’t last 2 weeks in my world. This is not to say that this was true in every case but it happened often enough that we actually shied away from hiring those types and focused more on looking for people that graduated with a decent GPA and also displayed traits of good common sense and a strong work ethic.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
He may be somewhat correct. But the fact that scholarship money is largely determined based off one test score makes it difficult for people.

I had over a 4.0 weighted GPA in high school. Grades came easy for me. But I couldn’t score higher than a 26 on the ACT no matter how much I tried. I wasn’t offered a dime by MSU or Ole Miss.

My mother was a teacher and harped on and on about grades my entire school life. I can’t and didn’t do the same to my kids because I know that it all ultimately comes down to that test score. In the grand scheme of things, your grades don’t mean **** UNLESS you have that ability to score 30+ on the ACT.

it just doesn’t happen easily for a lot of kids
And yet they can be be very good college students that deserve to be there and go on to have very successful careers. I hate people being judgmental, especially when they know nothing about the ones that they are judging. They come off like the blue haired old ladies sitting in the back of the Church criticizing everyone. Enough of this. Y’all all have a great day.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I’ve read some speculation that men’s online lives have made them less ambitious irl, and that all of this is a contributor to some of the mental health issues that seem more prevalent than times past. Also speculation that it will further fuel depression as women are unlikely to “marry down” if they are ambitious with a college degree. I hope all that’s wrong and these dudes are hitting up trade school and doing well.
Woman can be choosier now. Men are going to have to improve themselves to find a mate. I recommend doing that. Single adult women tend to do better on a number of factors than single adult men. Marriage makes the lives of men better. Well, a good marriage does.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login