College Costs......

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Start up a clinic then and magically fix health care for all
Start a free womens healthcare clinic in Mississippi?

OK
I'll Provide Free Birth Control. Because access to long acting reversible birth control to teens and young women is good for a wide range of things. And it is proven to reduce the States' tax burden and increase tax revenues.

And I'll doi free health checkups. Because as L4 said, outcomes in the US are really good if we detect it in time.

Maybe I'll call it the Jackson Women's Health Organization...

The State shut that down.

Apparently providing full service healthcare for women is Mississippi (and Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Oklahoma) is frowned upon...

Reactions: Perd Hapley

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Honestly high school counselors should be keeping a close watch on career fields with labor deficits and directing kids into areas that fulfill those needs, or at least handing them a list of biggest job needs the year they graduate.
What I told my kids, and anyone going to college is this:

If you like a subject, go talk to the professor. Tell them you like it and what you like. Ask for advice on how to make that a career. Professors have industry contacts. They know what are possibilities. Most of the time the feedback I've gotten is "Wow, I didn't know I could get paid to do that".

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Start a free womens healthcare clinic in Mississippi?

OK
I'll Provide Free Birth Control. Because access to long acting reversible birth control to teens and young women is good for a wide range of things. And it is proven to reduce the States' tax burden and increase tax revenues.

And I'll doi free health checkups. Because as L4 said, outcomes in the US are really good if we detect it in time.

Maybe I'll call it the Jackson Women's Health Organization...

The State shut that down.

Apparently providing full service healthcare for women is Mississippi (and Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Oklahoma) is frowned upon...

I feel confident in saying I would despise spending time with your self righteous, know everything ***.

Let me guess. You are under 35.

Reminds me of my chem E roommate years ago. I do not miss him.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What I told my kids, and anyone going to college is this:

If you like a subject, go talk to the professor. Tell them you like it and what you like. Ask for advice on how to make that a career. Professors have industry contacts. They know what are possibilities. Most of the time the feedback I've gotten is "Wow, I didn't know I could get paid to do that".
Or better yet, iron out 80% of that decision in high school. Then, you get to college (whichever one is shaped by that 80% decision), your main job is to pass, refine the other 20%, and make relationships.

Just like I said about college not being a social phase of life.....neither is high school.

Reactions: HRMSU and ChE1997

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I would never be so presumptuous to use a term like “deserved” pilgrim. Your libel is disgusting and what’s wrong with this social media world!
Not interested in a big argument with you over this but go back and slowly read exactly what YOU wrote. Peace to all.

Reactions: Dawgg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
They really aren't, they are just spending it differently. Instead of giving it directly to the schools to support them, they are providing tuition assistance and research grants.
Nah, not at the state level for state universities. They've literally cut funding. The federal government has no problem taxing for education. But the people don't appear to want that. This state and country do not prioritize education or healthcare.

Reactions: ChE1997

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Or better yet, iron out 80% of that decision in high school. Then, you get to college (whichever one is shaped by that 80% decision), your main job is to pass, refine the other 20%, and make relationships.

Just like I said about college not being a social phase of life.....neither is high school.
College and High School are extremely social phases of life. They are crucial to social development. If you aren't social in these phases you'll never be social.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Nah, not at the state level for state universities. They've literally cut funding. The federal government has no problem taxing for education. But the people don't appear to want that. This state and country do not prioritize education or healthcare.

We definitely prioritize the money in pockets (digits in accounts) that come from education and healthcare. We just don't prioritize really good education and healthcare.

Healthcare should focus on those with, statistically, a lot of potential life left. Not those who have finished the race we all run.

Education should focus on teaching. The way a vast amount of money is spent these days has little to do with putting knowledge into heads.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
College and High School are extremely social phases of life. They are crucial to social development. If you aren't social in these phases you'll never be social.
^this. Everyone is different. I know I am a better person for the experiences that distracted me from my studies in college. Adversity builds character, etc.

Also, I know some not-the-college-types that did as he proposes, came straight out of high into developing trade skills.....and the money in the pocket of idiot 18yos led to drugs and bad women and ruined their lives. For many, there's value in the college path of staging out the emergence into adulthood.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
^this. Everyone is different. I know I am a better person for the experiences that distracted me from my studies in college. Adversity builds character, etc.

Also, I know some not-the-college-types that did as he proposes, came straight out of high into developing trade skills.....and the money in the pocket of idiot 18yos led to drugs and bad women and ruined their lives. For many, there's value in the college path of staging out the emergence into adulthood.
College is not a rite of passage. That's the point. The social part isn't a requirement and certainly is not the focus for MOST students. Of course, if you're a rich kid and just coming to make connections, sure, go right ahead.

@Boom Boom I don't know what you mean by "did as he proposes", I didn't give details in the manner you're talking about. You're talking about some other poster. I am not sitting here looking at this in black and white terms, as in someone must go to college or shouldn't go to college. You are, though, by saying college is a required social element of life.

This conversation is actually much deeper. I hear people talk about social norms? WTF are those anyway, what you learn in school? It's a load of crap. I don't want to be a conformed idiot. I say that, but remember, I'm not talking about being anti-social or dysfunctional.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He’s actually correct and the anger without any reasonable response proves that point.

And, it’s not an insult either. In this country, we need blue collar workers that make great wages moreso than 10 million social workers living with their parents.
How in the hell do either of you draw that conclusion?

I graduated in the top 8% of my class from what is now a 6A public high school in MS, although it only went up to 5A then. I ended up qualifying for enough scholarships and aid to cover maybe 5-10% of total cost of attendance at MSU. It damn sure wasn’t free, or anything close to it.

And oh yeah, got an engineering degree and graduated with a 3.5 GPA from State. Guess I didn’t really belong there, though.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
It's the median age of death for breast cancer and prostate cancer....
The median age of breast cancer diagnosis is 62. You're really just a host of grievances with poor reading comprehension skills. I suspect you'll be right about some things but you've given me no reason to believe you. Maybe less histrionics and melodrama. I know. I just want 30-year old women to die of breast cancer and ectopic pregnancies in Aberdeen. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/types/breast-cancer/about/how-common-is-breast-cancer.html

Last edited:

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Or maybe don't provide student loans for any major where the average annual income of that occupation isn't at least 50%/year of the total amount borrowed. If you are majoring in X, and graduates who start their career in the field of X typically make $20k/yr to start, the don't loan them more than $40k total to have to pay back? Those might not be the exact numbers, but basically you need some safeguards that ensure that the only way a person can afford to major in Underwater BB Stacking is if their family is rich enough to just foot the bill for them to go to college to be more well rounded.

I know we could pontificate the benefits of college education in general, beyond just the monetary value of the degree (and agree that is true), however, it is so expensive these days that sucking young kids into huge debt loads at an age where they likely don't understand the impact of that debt, and may very well not understand that what they are majoring in doesn't really earn you a living seems bad.
Spread the word about this. Tell women to maybe ditch the humanities and social sciences. Maybe become plumbers and electricians too. Get those guidance counselors on it. I really don't believe that low starting salary. Even K-12 education, a feminized employment field, pays more than that.
  • 66% of all student loan debt belongs to women.
  • The average student debt for women in the U.S. is $31,726.
  • Women can expect an average annual salary of $35,338 following college graduation, which is 81% of what men can expect to earn following graduation.
  • : https://educationdata.org/student-loan-debt-by-gender

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The biggest puzzle to me is that the people I see railing most against the kinds of sacrifices it would take to help others are often very vocal "Christians". I can't reconcile the claim of Christianity with the reality of being opposed every measure that might help those less fortunate for there will always be poor among you...

That’s because they are Christians as a 5th or 6th priority item, if that.

Most folks seem to prioritize their family self-identity, money-making self-identity (career, military, etc), and their political self identity as the top 3 priorities. Order certainly varies, but nothing else really seems to come close to these.

Then comes their extracurricular self-identity. Their hobbies, favorite college sports teams, what they do on the weekends, whatever updates they want to do on their house, and so forth.

Then it’s religion / spirituality way below all that other stuff. People will always say publicly “God then family then country”, “Christian first and foremost”, etc. even though they know it’s BS. It’s always great when the religion / spirituality lines up with all that other stuff. Especially the Top 3. But in the event that there’s a conflict, everyone knows that it’s going to be self-interest above all.

The world would be a far better place if all those people weren’t so full of śhit, regardless of whether they truly practiced what they preached or just became totally agnostic in order to resolve that conflict.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
That’s because they are Christians as a 5th or 6th priority item, if that.

Most folks seem to prioritize their family self-identity, money-making self-identity (career, military, etc), and their political self identity as the top 3 priorities. Order certainly varies, but nothing else really seems to come close to these.

Then comes their extracurricular self-identity. Their hobbies, favorite college sports teams, what they do on the weekends, whatever updates they want to do on their house, and so forth.

Then it’s religion / spirituality way below all that other stuff. People will always say publicly “God then family then country”, “Christian first and foremost”, etc. even though they know it’s BS. It’s always great when the religion / spirituality lines up with all that other stuff. Especially the Top 3. But in the event that there’s a conflict, everyone knows that it’s going to be self-interest above all.

The world would be a far better place if all those people weren’t so full of śhit, regardless of whether they truly practiced what they preached or just became totally agnostic in order to resolve that conflict.
Maybe we can ask Brett Favre to create some non-profit to help those in need.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
But they still give out Pell Grants and low interest loans. That makes up for a TON of cuts in direct support, and then some. The country spends a HUGE amount of money on healthcare. Medicare, Medicaid... come on man.

• Haha

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Spread the word about this. Tell women to maybe ditch the humanities and social sciences. Maybe become plumbers and electricians too. Get those guidance counselors on it. I really don't believe that low starting salary. Even K-12 education, a feminized employment field, pays more than that.
  • 66% of all student loan debt belongs to women.
  • The average student debt for women in the U.S. is $31,726.
  • Women can expect an average annual salary of $35,338 following college graduation, which is 81% of what men can expect to earn following graduation.
  • : https://educationdata.org/student-loan-debt-by-gender
Can we talk about the reason why? Anybody ever wonder why the majority of marketing is aimed at women?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Can we talk about the reason why? Anybody ever wonder why the majority of marketing is aimed at women?
Haha, funny that you edited this.
Your deleted comment is what I was going to respond to.
And to be clear, it didn't seem like a bad comment to make.

I didn't realize the majority of college marketing is directed at females. That's honestly not something I have ever even thought about- the % of marketing directed at males and females.
If the majority of marketing is directed at females, it would be interesting to understand why.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I just paid Hinds CCa bunch of money for my son. I told him I would pay for his first two years. I just glad he went to Hinds.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Marketing is directed at women because more women go to college than men. It's no longer the 1950s. Women earn most college degrees. But, women earn 80% of the degrees in grievance studies fields (Gender Studies, Sociology, African American studies, ***** and Cultural studies fields). They'd likely make more as UPS drivers and would be better educated about reality after a couple of years if they ditched those fields). Did women in academia cause wokeness? - by Noah Carl (noahsnewsletter.com)

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Marketing is directed at women because more women go to college than men. It's no longer the 1950s. Women earn most college degrees. But, women earn 80% of the degrees in grievance studies fields (Gender Studies, Sociology, African American studies, ***** and Cultural studies fields). They'd likely make more as UPS drivers and would be better educated about reality after a couple of years if they ditched those fields). Did women in academia cause wokeness? - by Noah Carl (noahsnewsletter.com)
Incorrect. But you're getting closer.

You said earlier that they still don't make as much as men. Why isn't the marketing aimed at men? If men have more money, doesn't it make sense to go after that bigger pot?

Another nugget of evidence is that women are earning these degrees that do not pay off, like you said. Why? Why are they deciding to do this?

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I just read this recently. Plus, student loan repayments are supposed to start back in October:

The number of people who made a hardship withdrawal during the second quarter surged from the first three months of the year to 15,950, an increase of 36% from the second quarter of 2022, according to Bank of America’s analysis of clients’ employee benefits programs, which are comprised of more than 4 million plan participants.

It’s a “pretty troubling” development if more people are resorting to making hardship withdrawals, Matt Schulz, chief credit analyst at LendingTree, told CNN.

“You understand why people do that in the heat of the moment, but the opportunity costs on that are really, really high over time,” he said.

Click me

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Incorrect. But you're getting closer.

You said earlier that they still don't make as much as men. Why isn't the marketing aimed at men? If men have more money, doesn't it make sense to go after that bigger pot?

Another nugget of evidence is that women are earning these degrees that do not pay off, like you said. Why? Why are they deciding to do this?
Women have money and ambition to earn college degrees and college officials still think its the 1950s and women are discriminated against in college admissions instead of the reality that women are just out-competing men academically but choosing more self-actualizing majors. Women spent more consumer dollars than men in America. It's hard for regionals to have some STEM programs likely to attract more men because those fields are expensive. The humanities and social sciences are inexpensive and have a great ROI compared to the sciences. More college administrators are women, women dominate recruiting and student life programs on college campuses.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Some of those degrees actually pay off. We have a ton of non-profits, mainly funded by wealthy progressives, that employ grievance studies majors. The tax code is generous to wealthy people who want to promote certain political causes.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Women have money and ambition to earn college degrees and college officials still think its the 1950s and women are discriminated against in college admissions instead of the reality that women are just out-competing men academically but choosing more self-actualizing majors. Women spent more consumer dollars than men in America. It's hard for regionals to have some STEM programs likely to attract more men because those fields are expensive. The humanities and social sciences are inexpensive and have a great ROI compared to the sciences. More college administrators are women, women dominate recruiting and student life programs on college campuses.
You got the correct answer in there. Women spend more (much more) than men. But why?

But, the rest of your post makes no sense. You say women are most of the college administrators, then you say women are being discriminated against. By……other women? Who is pushing them to easy degrees? Other……women?

Your blanket answer is sexism but you just proved that you don’t even believe that.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
You got the correct answer in there. Women spend more (much more) than men. But why?

But, the rest of your post makes no sense. You say women are most of the college administrators, then you say women are being discriminated against. By……other women? Who is pushing them to easy degrees? Other……women?

Your blanket answer is sexism but you just proved that you don’t even believe that.
I meant that women and others believe they are being discriminated against which leads to favoritism at universities (there are something like 10-1 schollies specifically for women rather than men). Most students like getting an easy degree. Women like self-actualizing degrees and working with people. And while I didn't actually write that, I do think that women influence other women to behave in certain ways. BTW, I didn't say "most" administrators. I said more meaning more than previously. Women are influential (see the Bud Light fiasco and how so few decided on that marketing campaign). Male admins are pretty weak willed and can be easily outmaneuvered by women. An argumentative woman, or one who cries because women's tears win, are hard for such men to deal with and tell no to.
Why do women spend more money than men? Because they can, I suppose. Our administrative state favors those with college degree, a credential.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
My son just got back from Best Buy. He said he needed a Laptop. I took his word for it. DAMN! I should have given him the credit card and not the debit card. He got a MacBook. Those are not cheap.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I meant that women and others believe they are being discriminated against which leads to favoritism at universities (there are something like 10-1 schollies specifically for women rather than men). Most students like getting an easy degree. Women like self-actualizing degrees and working with people. And while I didn't actually write that, I do think that women influence other women to behave in certain ways. BTW, I didn't say "most" administrators. I said more meaning more than previously. Women are influential (see the Bud Light fiasco and how so few decided on that marketing campaign). Male admins are pretty weak willed and can be easily outmaneuvered by women. An argumentative woman, or one who cries because women's tears win, are hard for such men to deal with and tell no to.
Why do women spend more money than men? Because they can, I suppose. Our administrative state favors those with college degree, a credential.
I gotcha. Guess I misunderstood that a little bit.

And your post pretty much summed up the ‘why’. To go much further will bring out the SPS Squad.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
That likely means that you, or they, have a job that offers health insurance. They inability of our health insurance market to provide affordable policies for all citizens is one of the greatest unintended consequences ever. War time employers offering the perks of insurance (positive) to attract people to work for them (positive), thus enshrining employment dependent healthcare (turns out it was a net negative for many) is really what makes our country substantially different than most other countries where it is largely provided as a "right" by the country. It is taxed accordingly to support it.

In the US, we most assuredly can improve our health outcomes if we have money. That leaves a lot of our population without access to affordable insurance and hence we have a healthcare system that is a broken government/private hybrid. I'd love to see a solution that addressed that, but it is hard to imagine how we get from here to there. It certainly won't ever happen without some being willing to sacrifice for the good of others.

The biggest puzzle to me is that the people I see railing most against the kinds of sacrifices it would take to help others are often very vocal "Christians". I can't reconcile the claim of Christianity with the reality of being opposed every measure that might help those less fortunate for there will always be poor among you...

You sound like a very good person with a good heart we really just need more people like you.

Healthcare is complicated with many stakeholders with competing interests and responsibilities. This includes the person we see in the mirror everyday.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
My son just got back from Best Buy. He said he needed a Laptop. I took his word for it. DAMN! I should have given him the credit card and not the debit card. He got a MacBook. Those are not cheap.
It's expensive but if he bought one of the new M chips it should last through college without a problem.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
He’s actually correct and the anger without any reasonable response proves that point.

And, it’s not an insult either. In this country, we need blue collar workers that make great wages moreso than 10 million social workers living with their parents.
That’s a nice sound bite but blue collar workers are more likely to live with their parents than are social workers (see below photos).

Blue collar workers need more education and training. They can’t just be average in Mississippi.

IMG_6016.jpeg
IMG_6018.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6017.jpeg
    IMG_6017.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 2

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We prioritize the **** out of healthcare. We’re just dumb about it. We subsidize health insurance, pour a bunch of government money into it, have some of the highest rates of third party payment in the world.

even the really stupid **** we do like severely restrict supply is because enough voters think it’s about protecting quality of care.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Women don’t spend more than men on the whole. Not even close. But they are the ones that dominate discretionary spending in most single family middle-class households, which is the bread and butter focus group for every damn product there is. With remote work and other social shifts that have been happening, that balance is starting to tip back a little bit towards men more than before, but it’s still women-dominated.

It’s really just the typical household roles that have always been there. To all you hetero married dudes on here, ask yourself who does most of the grocery shopping? Who is the one who normally buys the kids clothes and toiletries when they are needed? School supplies? Thats daily discretionary spending and that’s the type of spending where marketing costs actually generate the biggest rate of return.

Men, meanwhile, tend to still be the big decision makers for home purchases, vehicles, insurance policies for both, new expensive toys like boats and riding lawnmowers and big screen TV’s, etc. So they are spending more on the whole. But not on the day to day commodities which are heavily targeted by marketing investment strategies.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Men, meanwhile, tend to still be the big decision makers for home purchases, vehicles, insurance policies for both, new expensive toys like boats and riding lawnmowers and big screen TV’s, etc. So they are spending more on the whole. But not on the day to day commodities which are heavily targeted by marketing investment strategies.
Maybe women should be the big decision makers when it comes to these purchases too when considering the Ford Lightning thread…

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Women don’t spend more than men on the whole. Not even close. But they are the ones that dominate discretionary spending in most single family middle-class households, which is the bread and butter focus group for every damn product there is. With remote work and other social shifts that have been happening, that balance is starting to tip back a little bit towards men more than before, but it’s still women-dominated.

It’s really just the typical household roles that have always been there. To all you hetero married dudes on here, ask yourself who does most of the grocery shopping? Who is the one who normally buys the kids clothes and toiletries when they are needed? School supplies? Thats daily discretionary spending and that’s the type of spending where marketing costs actually generate the biggest rate of return.

Me, me and me. I married a woman who makes more and works longer hours. I was the head butt wiper too. Meanwhile, we built a house, a nice one, that she wanted and in a neighborhood she preferred with maybe the highest price per square foot where we live (I enjoy living here, though). She bought her own car, it wasn't cheap, and decided what cars the girls should get. I bought my own which cost less than the cars driven by any female in my household. She also insisted that the girls attend private school (I'm public school trash). She was right to do so. She's not my boss and she's not bossy to me. It's an arrangement that works best. The girls shop for themselves now often with my credit card. "Not even close" is a stretch. There are studies showing that men spend more and women spend more than men. The numbers aren't far off. What's "not even close" is that women spend more time shopping and make most consumer purchases, sometimes it's not for them. But, this isn't the 1950s. Women are independent and they make their own decisions. They aren't victims of the patriarchy or some other abstraction.

All of this clearly indicates to any reasonable person that I'm a mysoginist who loves Andrew Tate.***

Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login