College Football Super League

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I know we’ve all seen this stuff talked about before but there’s some money being thrown around with this.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I know we’ve all seen this stuff talked about before but there’s some money being thrown around with this.

According to the proposal, school-by-school distributions would skyrocket, cash that presumably would be used to help sustain Olympic sports — something that administrators contend is threatened by the advent of revenue sharing. However, the revenues will be allotted unequally. Project Rudy separates the 70 programs into three tiers.

- Tier 1: the top 16 schools earn per-school revenue projections from $130 million in Year 4, escalating to $250 million in Year 12 (double the SEC and Big Ten’s current distribution rate).

- Tier 2: the next 22 schools earn revenue of $60-$110 million (similar to the SEC and Big Ten current rates).

- Tier 3: the last 32 schools earn projections of $30-$60 million (similar to the Big 12 and ACC rates).

The model offers a variety of ways to determine how to tier schools: the previous season’s results, perhaps, or an aggregate of results over a stretch of seasons. The model also features a relegation and promotion system to pave a way for schools to move up and down the tiers. However, one proposed model suggests having eight “permanent” members of Tier 1, a move presumably to placate the biggest brands in the sport.

I'm listening.

We gotta have our **** together ASAP if we are going to get into, compete, and stay in that middle pack.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
But ex-Disney is interesting because of ABC/ESPN. Presumably the league would then negotiate all TV deals like the NCAA did years ago, which would likely increase pricing to viewer

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
I'm listening.

We gotta have our **** together ASAP if we are going to get into, compete, and stay in that middle pack.
The top 16 schools can't continue to compete without the next 22 and tier 2's would never agree to taking that much less than tier 1 as a matter of course. Also, the idea of up to 1/2 of the members of tier 1 being given permanent status would be a non starter. I appreciate their attempt to find a solution to what some consider to be a problem, but this isn't it.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
One thing I don't understand about all this Super League talk is why the SEC and Big Ten would agree to it other than charity.

SEC and Big Ten thought bubble: Do we want to share revenue among 34* schools or 70 schools?
*-or whatever the number is after the conference realignment dust settles

If you are simply looking at who has leverage and their incentives, it makes more sense for the SEC and Big Ten to do their own NFL model: They could agree to an inter-conference schedule, have their own playoffs, and have the winners meet in a national championship game.

Imagine this year's playoffs...
SEC Round 1:
  1. Texas vs. LSU
  2. Alabama vs. Missouri
  3. Ole Miss vs. Texas A&M
  4. Tennessee vs. Georgia
Big Ten Round 1:
  1. Ohio State vs. USC
  2. Oregon vs. Iowa
  3. Indiana vs. Rutgers
  4. Penn State vs. Illinois

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So what would stop Tier 1 from separating themselves? This is a dumb idea. No league survives with (ETA - out) equal sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: POTUS

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
So what would stop Tier 1 from separating themselves? This is a dumb idea. No league survives with equal sharing.
Marlon Brando Movie GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
This will not work. Too many schools would balk at being not being in the top 16. Schools like Wazzu would take this because they're desperate, but how many schools in the top 20-30 believe they belong in the top tier?

Texas, Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, USC, Oklahoma, Clemson, Florida, North Carolina, Penn State, Washington, Oregon, & Missouri. There's 16 teams from 16 states and all those schools have rivals who aren't going to be interested in being placed in a lower tier. Auburn? A&M? Florida State? Miami? UCLA? Michigan State? South Carolina? NC State? Arkansas? Ole Miss? You think these schools are going to sign on to be considered not top tier?

patdog

May 28, 2007
The P4 conferences can do everything in the plan themselves without the private equity money if they want to. And as psuedonym says, the SEC and Big 10 could just do it and cut out the ACC, Big 12 and the private equity guys. I can promise one thing, private equity isn't trying to invest money in this for the schools to be the ones making money off of it. If the schools are dumb enough to do this they deserve what they get.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
The top 16 schools can't continue to compete without the next 22 and tier 2's would never agree to taking that much less than tier 1 as a matter of course. Also, the idea of up to 1/2 of the members of tier 1 being given permanent status would be a non starter. I appreciate their attempt to find a solution to what some consider to be a problem, but this isn't it.
Permanent tier 1 status should be tossed ideologically. But you also need those top 8 or so to buy in and bail on status quo. They'll try to throw their weight around. But as you said, the top needs mids and lowers to provide bulk to the system or none of this works. They will (or should) throw their collective weight around.

So...it'll be a giant cluster. The dollars suggested here will make it a very serious attempt though. That's too much money for the system top down not to give it a look.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Permanent tier 1 status should be tossed ideologically. But you also need those top 8 or so to buy in and bail on status quo. They'll try to throw their weight around. But as you said, the top needs mids and lowers to provide bulk to the system or none of this works. They will (or should) throw their collective weight around.

So...it'll be a giant cluster. The dollars suggested here will make it a very serious attempt though. That's too much money for the system top down not to give it a look.
I can’t imagine anyone being ok with a permanent top 8. Teams 9-16ish would riot. Also the gap between tier 1 and tier 2 is way too big for what will be a somewhat subjective decision (using data). But unequal rev sharing is inevitable.

Reactions: ckDOG

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
This will not work. Too many schools would balk at being not being in the top 16. Schools like Wazzu would take this because they're desperate, but how many schools in the top 20-30 believe they belong in the top tier?

Texas, Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, USC, Oklahoma, Clemson, Florida, North Carolina, Penn State, Washington, Oregon, & Missouri. There's 16 teams from 16 states and all those schools have rivals who aren't going to be interested in being placed in a lower tier. Auburn? A&M? Florida State? Miami? UCLA? Michigan State? South Carolina? NC State? Arkansas? Ole Miss? You think these schools are going to sign on to be considered not top tier?
From an ego perspective this is spot on. The kicker though is if you are mid tier SEC they are giving you a roadmap to increasing your share from $50 million to north of $100 million. That'll mute a lot of ego. Doubling your budget is an AD wet dream.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
The P4 conferences can do everything in the plan themselves without the private equity money if they want to. And as psuedonym says, the SEC and Big 10 could just do it and cut out the ACC, Big 12 and the private equity guys. I can promise one thing, private equity isn't trying to invest money in this for the schools to be the ones making money off of it. If the schools are dumb enough to do this they deserve what they get.
Yup. My spidey senses go off the charts when i hear Private Equity, especially since we are the one of the least profitable Red Lobster locations.

patdog

May 28, 2007
From an ego perspective this is spot on. The kicker though is if you are mid tier SEC they are giving you a roadmap to increasing your share from $50 million to north of $100 million. That'll mute a lot of ego. Doubling your budget is an AD wet dream.
That's great. Until the private equity guys take $80M of your $100M share. And they will.

Reactions: mcdawg22

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I can’t imagine anyone being ok with a permanent top 8. Teams 9-16ish would riot. Also the gap between tier 1 and tier 2 is way too big for what will be a somewhat subjective decision (using data). But unequal rev sharing is inevitable.
That was my thought. We may not like it but assume the 8 is Bama, OSU, Michigan, Texas, USC, UGA, Oklahoma, and ND.
What are LSU, Tenn, Clemson, PSU, FSU, Etc going to say? ND hasn’t won a NC in 36 years and they get in. It will blow up so fast. Say what you want about the SEC but there is a general concern about the well being of all of the institutions especially against other Leagues. This will just pit everyone against each other.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Ok, so 70 schools...

SEC - 16 teams
Big Ten - 18 teams
Big 12 - 16 teams
ACC - 17 teams
Plus ND

That's 68.

Who are the 2 moving up? Apologies if this is addressed somewhere in the article. I haven't completed it yet, but that stuck out to me.

Reactions: Sponge

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Ok, so 70 schools...

SEC - 16 teams
Big Ten - 18 teams
Big 12 - 16 teams
ACC - 17 teams
Plus ND

That's 68.

Who are the 2 moving up? Apologies if this is addressed somewhere in the article. I haven't completed it yet, but that stuck out to me.
UAPB and EKU. It’s kind of like a Trading Places scenarios where the PE managers have a $1 bet to see if they squander the money.

• Haha
Reactions: wasabaka and Dawgg

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
That's great. Until the private equity guys take $80M of your $100M share. And they will.
Contracts are still a thing. If 70 schools voluntarily agree to participate in a system that allows the revenue share to disappear at the whims of PE, then they deserve it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Contracts are still a thing. If 70 schools voluntarily agree to participate in a system that allows the revenue share to disappear at the whims of PE, then they deserve it.
Reading the article. Even if all their rosy projections come true (they won't), and everything works exactly the way they say it will (it won't), only the 16 Tier One schools would see an increase in revenue. The 22 Tier Two schools would see about what SEC and Big are seeing today, the the remaining 32 would see about what the ACC/Big 12 see now. Why would the other 64 schools sign up for this?

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Reading the article. Even if all their rosy projections come true (they won't), and everything works exactly the way they say it will (it won't), only the 16 Tier One schools would see an increase in revenue. The 22 Tier Two schools would see about what SEC and Big are seeing today, the the remaining 32 would see about what the ACC/Big 12 see now. Why would the other 64 schools sign up for this?
We are at 50 now correct? It said tier 2 transitions from 60 up to 110. Does the ABC contract goes up similarly?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
My guess is they are trying to leverage the big boys against the rest of us. “If you don’t want to join that’s fine but you will be playing Southern Miss on the CW and making 3 million dollars a year for your TV contract. While the rest of us are making bank.”
I could seriously seeing DiCaprio from Wolf of Wall Street saying it.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Ok, so 70 schools...

SEC - 16 teams
Big Ten - 18 teams
Big 12 - 16 teams
ACC - 17 teams
Plus ND

That's 68.

Memphis****

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
My guess is they are trying to leverage the big boys against the rest of us. “If you don’t want to join that’s fine but you will be playing Southern Miss on the CW and making 3 million dollars a year for your TV contract. While the rest of us are making bank.”
I could seriously seeing DiCaprio from Wolf of Wall Street saying it.
It would be wise for another separate group to model out a league that includes everyone but the top 16. Might prove that the top needs the rest. Might prove that they can tell the rest of us to get 17ed. But at least it then gives somebody objective ammo to win the eventual battle of the wealthiest programs vs the rest.

Reactions: POTUS and patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The Big 12 and ACC teams would potentially see an increase in revenue if they bump themselves up into the 1st or 2nd Tier. The only ones that are really going to get squeezed are traditionally lower level Big Ten and SEC schools like us, Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, etc.

If I'm Miami, Clemson, or FSU, I may be staying in the ACC after all since I have an opportunity to run roughshod over the ACC and get myself into that 1st or 2nd Tier and get 4x-7x my current payout. Teams like Utah and Oklahoma State would feel like they've literally hit the lottery.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It would be wise for another separate group to model out a league that includes everyone but the top 16. Might prove that the top needs the rest. Might prove that they can tell the rest of us to get 17ed. But at least it then gives somebody objective ammo to win the eventual battle of the wealthiest programs vs the rest.
Yep. This past weekend is what makes CFB great. LSU vs Ohio State may seem cool at first but it will get old and won’t draw enough interest over time.

Reactions: mcdawg22

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Our leadership has sucked so bad they knew this was coming and they didn't give a rats ***, so now we're going to be in a bind if this thing shrinks down.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Found this... I get the no FCS bit, but NO G6 either? That's going to kill the G6. The payouts they get for away games against Power 4 conference teams is a big chunk of their revenue. For example, we paid Western Michigan $1 Million to play in Starkville last year. Their media contract with ESPN for the year paid them $2 Million. Alabama paid MTSU $1.6 Million last year to play them in Tuscaloosa. Their media contract with CBS paid them $750,000 for the year.

Arrange more games between power conference programs by eliminating all games against Group of Five and FCS opponents

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login