College Football Super League

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I know we’ve all seen this stuff talked about before but there’s some money being thrown around with this.

So schools that already have bigger budgets than State under the current TV contract will double or triple in size. Because there is no salary cap structure and expanded rosters, lower tier schools will be at an even greater talent disadvantage - it will turn into a compressed version of D1 football, with the same teams as always at the top and teams like Mississippi State playing the role of Kent State.

The only way Mississippi State and other lower tier P4 schools should support this is if the scheduling is tiered as well. Mississippi State should play more games against similar schools like Arkansas/Baylor/Wake Forest while only playing a couple tier 1 schools.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
So schools that already have bigger budgets than State under the current TV contract will double or triple in size. Because there is no salary cap structure and expanded rosters, lower tier schools will be at an even greater talent disadvantage - it will turn into a compressed version of D1 football, with the same teams as always at the top and teams like Mississippi State playing the role of Kent State.

The only way Mississippi State and other lower tier P4 schools should support this is if the scheduling is tiered as well. Mississippi State should play more games against similar schools like Arkansas/Baylor/Wake Forest while only playing a couple tier 1 schools.
Haven't you heard? If State plays a watered down schedule no State fans will show up. Those fans prefer to watch State get our collective asses kicked by the big boys if they are going to drop coin on tickets!

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I like the general concept, but it should just be a super league of 60-80 teams without all the complicated tiers.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I like the general concept, but it should just be a super league of 60-80 teams without all the complicated tiers.
I get what you’re saying and in an ideal world that’s how it would work, but without the possibility of an increased Tier 1 payout, there’s no reason for the Big Ten and SEC to agree to this and I doubt there’s enough capital to pay all 70 teams Tier 1 money. The system as described will result in a better situation for everybody except the bottom half of the Big Ten and SEC.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
One thing I don't understand about all this Super League talk is why the SEC and Big Ten would agree to it other than charity.

SEC and Big Ten thought bubble: Do we want to share revenue among 34* schools or 70 schools?
*-or whatever the number is after the conference realignment dust settles
You're exactly right. These articles are easy to write, "low hanging fruit" that will get a lot of clicks from gullible folks. Nothing to see here, move along. The SEC and BIG 10 will continue on. How the BIG 12 and ACC will fit in is anyone's guess. We're still many years away from that even.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login