College football was best from about 1990 to 2010.....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think that era will eventually go down as the best ever. The reason the bowls lasted so long is because they were a good thing, they gave every team that had a winning record a chance at a real reward, and they were viewed that way. The BCS didn't change that, all it did was give us an undisputed national champion. Even 2004 was fine, and even though Auburn kinda got screwed, you couldn't argue against USC being the champion. There was innovation, and it still seemed like the game was amateur. All the conferences were generally equal with 10-12 teams. Conference championship games meant something.

I still say Bama ruined it all. Their dominance just cemented them in everyone's mind, and when they got that 2011 rematch based on name alone, I knew the 'system' was done. Then we got the playoff, and it's been downhill ever since.

Here's to hoping the 12-team playoff can revive this sport in some other fashion. But I just don't know that it'll ever be what it was. The TV product has ruined the 'football Saturday', now all the games are on different days rather than altogether in one magnificent day. I'd much rather watch LSU vs. Florida State on Saturday night, rather than Sunday night. And TV has certainly killed attendance.

Just a shame, really. The other sports aren't affected too much by these things, in my opinion. More TV is good for them, because more games overall, and smaller in-person crowds.

Just like anything else, TV helped, but also destroyed, along with a machine in Tuscaloosa that would stop at nothing to get what it wanted, until everybody else just got sick of it.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I think that era will eventually go down as the best ever. The reason the bowls lasted so long is because they were a good thing, they gave every team that had a winning record a chance at a real reward, and they were viewed that way. The BCS didn't change that, all it did was give us an undisputed national champion. Even 2004 was fine, and even though Auburn kinda got screwed, you couldn't argue against USC being the champion. There was innovation, and it still seemed like the game was amateur. All the conferences were generally equal with 10-12 teams. Conference championship games meant something.

I still say Bama ruined it all. Their dominance just cemented them in everyone's mind, and when they got that 2011 rematch based on name alone, I knew the 'system' was done. Then we got the playoff, and it's been downhill ever since.

Here's to hoping the 12-team playoff can revive this sport in some other fashion. But I just don't know that it'll ever be what it was. The TV product has ruined the 'football Saturday', now all the games are on different days rather than altogether in one magnificent day. I'd much rather watch LSU vs. Florida State on Saturday night, rather than Sunday night. And TV has certainly killed attendance.

Just a shame, really. The other sports aren't affected too much by these things, in my opinion. More TV is good for them, because more games overall, and smaller in-person crowds.

Just like anything else, TV helped, but also destroyed, along with a machine in Tuscaloosa that would stop at nothing to get what it wanted, until everybody else just got sick of it.
I disagree with the bold. Unless, you can tell me what bowl a 7-4 MSU went to in 1997. I cannot seem to remember. Surely the fair bowl system wouldn't have passed over an SEC team 2 games over 0.500....

Or the Bowl we went to in 1986? 1974? 1975? 1976? 1978?

The Bowl system has never been as "good for all teams" as it is now. and pre

Bowls are great for the extra 2 week of practice for the underclassmen, and the swag the team gets.

A playoff is so much better, it it costs us the bottom 4 bowl games, so what. Or more likely, they let the high APR 5-7 teams play in them...

and not having all the games on TV sucked....

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
I disagree with the bold. Unless, you can tell me what bowl a 7-4 MSU went to in 1997. I cannot seem to remember. Surely the fair bowl system wouldn't have passed over an SEC team 2 games over 0.500....

Bowls are great for the extra 2 week of practice for the underclassmen, and the swag the team gets.

A playoff is so much better, it it costs us the bottom 4 bowl games, so what. Or more likely, they let the high APR 5-7 teams play in them...

I often wonder where we would be if Tyler had been here for a long duration like he should’ve been.

F the ncaa

BTW. That ‘74 bowl was Sun

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

The money just got too high. I don’t fault anyone. Like you, I just like it the way it used to be.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
College football is better now than ever will be even better with the 12 team playoff.
The last decade was the worst it’s ever been. It was just in ‘too big to fail’ territory, so it didn’t. If we had kept going down this track, no doubt that it would have started to go backwards.

more parity before the playoff too

Reactions: patdog

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

QWIT LIVIN IN THE PAST

Reactions: was21

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
The last decade was the worst it’s ever been. It was just in ‘too big to fail’ territory, so it didn’t. If we had kept going down this track, no doubt that it would have started to go backwards.
Along those lines, give the “haves” what they want. Kick out the “little guys”. Form a “have” super conference. Somebody still has to lose. That’s what I was hoping it’d come to. The ole be careful what you wish for.

IMO, the basketball tournament is as big as it is because the American bloodline requires favoring an underdog.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
How does ESPN get a pass from this thread. They are very responsible for their coverage of some blue-chip programs to the exclusion of the rest. If you are a better player (stars), you get that quiet message that you won’t get the notoriety at State that you would get at Bama from the media giant.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
College football is not ruined, it’s as popular as it’s ever been. There are way more people who prefer it now vs what you’re describing. NIL certainly needs to be fixed.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I’m only 30 but the 2000’s through about 2015 was objectively the best era of CFB of my lifetime on a national level. SEC was starting to become the dominant force but you still had a strong sport nationally with teams like USC, Ohio State, Miami, Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon being legit championship contenders for at least a period of a few years each. Unfortunately a big chunk of that period was a disaster for MSU.

I’ll say it was about 2016 when the sport started really dropping off in my eyes. The first year of the Playoff was intriguing, the second year had the rise of Clemson as an upstart contender. But ever since then it’s just the same group of teams every year and not much interesting. I will always watch our games but on a national level the NFL is far more gripping to me at the moment than CFB.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
How does ESPN get a pass from this thread. They are very responsible for their coverage of some blue-chip programs to the exclusion of the rest. If you are a better player (stars), you get that quiet message that you won’t get the notoriety at State that you would get at Bama from the media giant.
They don’t. See above post about same book different cover. Been that way for 5 decades.

Reactions: ChE1997

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
College football is not ruined, it’s as popular as it’s ever been. There are way more people who prefer it now vs what you’re describing. NIL certainly needs to be fixed.
I disagree. I’ve always used the nascar analogy with college football.
You’re catering to the lowest common denominator.

It’s like I said above. Be careful what you wish for. NASCAR wanted nothing but winners. Front runners. To hell with back story and fan involvement. Give me a winner.
Well. They got their wish. And nobody watches.

The people that provide REAL money, like a certain someone that just gave our school 100 million, don’t give a **** about being the tallest redneck. They care about the school.

Which is how it should be.

So all these sidewalk mfers can kiss my delta land owning *** with almost unlimited ground water and fertile soil and go hungry.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

The best era of college football was between 1994-2001 and 2010-????

Reactions: BigDawg0074

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I often wonder where we would be if Tyler had been here for a long duration like he should’ve been.

F the ncaa

BTW. That ‘74 bowl was Sun
I agree but I'm also glad we had him when we did. If OM had hired Tyler (like Vaught wanted) and we made another bad hire (as we had been so prone to do) I'm not sure we would still be in the SEC. Bob Tyler was one of the two or three most important people in the history of State football (for a number or reasons) and the NCAA put a bullseye on his back and eventually got him.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The tipping point was 2013, when the ACC killed the Big East.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The tipping point was 2013, when the ACC killed the Big East.
That whole era from about 2009-2013, when everybody started getting mad. We didn't know how good we had it. The Big 12 contributed it with the Nebraska Texas nonsense. Unbridled greed. Saban getting the GDP of a small country in his annual salary.

Of course, the ACC has already fired the shot in about 2003 when they expanded the first time. I had forgotten about 2013, I guess I thought all that went down much earlier.

Aug 23, 2012
I agree but I'm also glad we had him when we did. If OM had hired Tyler (like Vaught wanted) and we made another bad hire (as we had been so prone to do) I'm not sure we would still be in the SEC. Bob Tyler was one of the two or three most important people in the history of State football (for a number or reasons) and the NCAA put a bullseye on his back and eventually got him.
Bob Tyler was a snake oil salesman in the same league as Freeze

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022

The explosion of offensive football and rules to benefit the offense and take away the defense’s ability to hit anyone is what caused the “haves” to separate. People have always had a lot more money than us, but we used to play the best teams in the league really close on a regular basis if we had a decent team. Now it’s different. 28-7 used to be a blowout. Now 44-7 is a blowout. The new rules of football make it feel like you have zero chance against the elite teams because they can score so much.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I think CFB is better than it has ever been but also more gross to look at sometimes. I get tired of all the corporate sponsorship plastered everywhere but I know we need it to succeed. The uptick in ads at the stadium has coincided with a better brand of football for MSU. I was there for practically all of the Croom home games and I never want to see our Dawgs go back there.

was21

May 29, 2007

State played in the inaugural Liberty Bowl in Philadelphia in 1963.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

patdog

May 28, 2007
Actually, the 5th Liberty Bowl and last played in Philadelphia. They played in Atlantic City the next year indoors in a site that didn’t even have room for a full football field (end zones were only 8 yards long), then moved to Memphis the next year.

Reactions: was21

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The explosion of offensive football and rules to benefit the offense and take away the defense’s ability to hit anyone is what caused the “haves” to separate. People have always had a lot more money than us, but we used to play the best teams in the league really close on a regular basis if we had a decent team. Now it’s different. 28-7 used to be a blowout. Now 44-7 is a blowout. The new rules of football make it feel like you have zero chance against the elite teams because they can score so much.
I don’t know man. The offensive explosion era ran concurrently with the best era of football in MSU history. Bowl streak and all.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Maybe. The results will still be the same. He who has the most money makes the rules and has the most hardware.

Same story. Different book cover.
Don’t disagree, but I think it’s reasonable to hope that the new CFP format will at least introduce a little chaos into college football. After all, we sit here and watch teams like the Lakers, Yankees, and UK basketball get knocked out of the playoffs year after year, so who knows… maybe the added playoff grind will create something special. Probably not, but here’s to hoping

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I didn't include the years we went to Bowls with a bowl eligible record and did go to a bowl. We won 9 games and were a top 20 team in 1976, and no bowl game. Won 7 games in 1997, no bowl game.

Everyone nostalgic for "the time before the playoff" are not remembering how it was.

As For Saban ruining football, Bama had a coach from 1958 to 1982 that would have been in a 4 team playoff AT LEAST 12 times, and a 12 team playoff 20+ times...

Football is more even now than it was before the NCAA allowed more people to see teams not named Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, or USC. Before 1984, ONE GAME was allowed to be on TV a week. Only Bowl games were exempt. which is really why everyone has nostalgia and loves the bowls. Before 1984, it was the only time you saw games on TV.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023

I agree. In the late 90s, having to listen to us vs Auburn or Arkansas or even Georgia on the radio because it wasn't televised. Dumb dumb dumb!! I don't miss the JP/Raycom era at all.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I didn't include the years we went to Bowls with a bowl eligible record and did go to a bowl. We won 9 games and were a top 20 team in 1976, and no bowl game. Won 7 games in 1997, no bowl game.

Everyone nostalgic for "the time before the playoff" are not remembering how it was.

As For Saban ruining football, Bama had a coach from 1958 to 1982 that would have been in a 4 team playoff AT LEAST 12 times, and a 12 team playoff 20+ times...

Football is more even now than it was before the NCAA allowed more people to see teams not named Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, or USC. Before 1984, ONE GAME was allowed to be on TV a week. Only Bowl games were exempt. which is really why everyone has nostalgia and loves the bowls. Before 1984, it was the only time you saw games on TV.
What's all that got to do with 1990-2010? So we got screwed in 1997, there were less bowls then, it happens. And that was also before the BCS.

The heart of the BCS era was the best. Nothing that has happened during the playoff era has come close, except maybe the first year when it was brand new.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
ESPN ruined college football. They've been the driving force behind every terrible change in the format, days, and amount of money that have infested the sport since they took over in the BCS era.

Games taking 4 hours, with frequent 5 minute stoppages of play? ESPN.
11:00 kickoffs in 95 degree September heat? ESPN.
College football on Monday, Sunday, Friday, and Thursday? ESPN.
Coaches making $10 million a year, and conferences realigning every year? ESPN.
Rampant blatant pay-for-play disguised as NIL? ESPN pushed that **** for years.

They won't be happy until college sports are an 'amateur' NFL league, and they've pushed out all but the top 2-3 teams in each conference so they can form a super league for TV ratings. It's about eyeballs now, not passion. ESPN is what is wrong with college football.

In short, I agree with Bobby Boucher's momma - ESPN is the devil.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

Ole Miss would say it was best in the 50s before they had to let some folks play and they got to dodge Alabama every year.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
What's all that got to do with 1990-2010? So we got screwed in 1997, there were less bowls then, it happens. And that was also before the BCS.

The heart of the BCS era was the best. Nothing that has happened during the playoff era has come close, except maybe the first year when it was brand new.
First it is an example that the bowl system was not more fair then and did not reward every team with a winning record.

the second is that the reason 1990 was better than the past is with TV showing more than 80 games a season, there was more parity.

And the BCS choosing the top 2 teams at random was dumb. it was better than before when you could have 5-6 undefeated teams that wouldn't play in bowls. But less dumb is still dumb.

For example, several BCS years would have been even better with a 4 team playoff. (i.e., 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012)

And a few others would have been way better with the 12 team (i.e., 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013)

The more teams that have a chance to win a championship the better. and it is the way literally every other sport does it except D1A football... From T-ball to the World Cup
That should tell you something.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
First it is an example that the bowl system was not more fair then and did not reward every team with a winning record.

the second is that the reason 1990 was better than the past is with TV showing more than 80 games a season, there was more parity.

And the BCS choosing the top 2 teams at random was dumb. it was better than before when you could have 5-6 undefeated teams that wouldn't play in bowls. But less dumb is still dumb.

For example, several BCS years would have been even better with a 4 team playoff. (i.e., 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012)

And a few others would have been way better with the 12 team (i.e., 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013)

The more teams that have a chance to win a championship the better. and it is the way literally every other sport does it except D1A football... From T-ball to the World Cup
That should tell you something.
Nobody said the 12-teamer wouldn't ultimately be the best. But we don't know that yet.

But as of now, the 'modern'/BCS era was the best. The playoff was horrible, and the pre-BCS didn't even crown a champion. None of it was perfect, but it was alright.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
ESPN ruined college football. They've been the driving force behind every terrible change in the format, days, and amount of money that have infested the sport since they took over in the BCS era.

Games taking 4 hours, with frequent 5 minute stoppages of play? ESPN.
11:00 kickoffs in 95 degree September heat? ESPN.
College football on Monday, Sunday, Friday, and Thursday? ESPN.
Coaches making $10 million a year, and conferences realigning every year? ESPN.
Rampant blatant pay-for-play disguised as NIL? ESPN pushed that **** for years.

They won't be happy until college sports are an 'amateur' NFL league, and they've pushed out all but the top 2-3 teams in each conference so they can form a super league for TV ratings. It's about eyeballs now, not passion. ESPN is what is wrong with college football.

In short, I agree with Bobby Boucher's momma - ESPN is the devil.
Yes. It was much better when the only way to see MSU play was to be in Jackson with an athletic budget 1/3 what it is today****

TIL we never played day games in September before we had TV games.... That had to be tough since we didn't get lights until 1986....

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Yes. It was much better when the only way to see MSU play was to be in Jackson with an athletic budget 1/3 what it is today****

TIL we never played day games in September before we had TV games.... That had to be tough since we didn't get lights until 1986....
Alright man, in 15-20 years when they're pushing for the SEC to jettison the 'loser' schools to join up with the top 3-4 from every other conference so they can get more ratings I won't say I told you so.

Mostly because I'll probably be dead of old age by then, but still.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login