College football was best from about 1990 to 2010.....

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
College football was best before the arrival of Saban at Alabama.
Steve Bannon Bingo GIF

Nov 25, 2019
I agree but I'm also glad we had him when we did. If OM had hired Tyler (like Vaught wanted) and we made another bad hire (as we had been so prone to do) I'm not sure we would still be in the SEC. Bob Tyler was one of the two or three most important people in the history of State football (for a number or reasons) and the NCAA put a bullseye on his back and eventually got him.
Bob Tyler was a helluva coach. He knew how the game was played with tsun and where the skeletons were buried and got it all turned around for us.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Alright man, in 15-20 years when they're pushing for the SEC to jettison the 'loser' schools to join up with the top 3-4 from every other conference so they can get more ratings I won't say I told you so.

Mostly because I'll probably be dead of old age by then, but still.
The AD's in the SEC are smart enough to know that someone has to lose every game.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Bob Tyler was a helluva coach. He knew how the game was played with tsun and where the skeletons were buried and got it all turned around for us.
That's why he was turned in to the NCAA. Probably Xenareb's mom (allegedly)

Same happened to Jackie.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
The AD's in the SEC are smart enough to know that someone has to lose every game.
Boosters aren't though. They're the ones paying $1,000,000+ for marginal talent. If they decide to break away to form a super conference we're boned.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Boosters aren't though. They're the ones paying $1,000,000+ for marginal talent. If they decide to break away to form a super conference we're boned.
Boosters don't get a vote.

And the AD's are smart enough to know that the Booster wants a 10-2 or better season at Bama, and that Auburn and LSU will fire you fast for not winning....
Again, someone has to lose games....

If the West was Bama, LSU, Texas, Auburn, OU, and TAMU, 3-4 of those teams are getting new coaches every year. and new AD's after 3 coaches " don't win.

Ask Mike Dubose, and MIke Shula how many games you can lose at Bama. Harsin and Malzahn at Auburn. O at LSU, Strong and Herman at Texas. You think those boosters paying millions will react well to more losses?

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Boosters don't get a vote.

And the AD's are smart enough to know that the Booster wants a 10-2 or better season at Bama, and that Auburn and LSU will fire you fast for not winning....
Again, someone has to lose games....

If the West was Bama, LSU, Texas, Auburn, OU, and TAMU, 3-4 of those teams are getting new coaches every year. and new AD's after 3 coaches " don't win.

Ask Mike Dubose, and MIke Shula how many games you can lose at Bama. Harsin and Malzahn at Auburn. O at LSU, Strong and Herman at Texas. You think those boosters paying millions will react well to more losses?
I don't know if you have seen how Athletic Departments work at major universities, but boosters ABSOLUTELY get a vote.

And no, they won't react well but it won't stop them from cannibalizing older conferences to take a perceived step up into a new super-conference. Ego outweighs wisdom a lot of the time.

You don't think that if it comes down to booting us to make room for a Florida State that boosters at other institutions won't pressure the AD to vote that way? Especially if the TV payouts double in one go?

It's all about money and TV now, and to my original point ESPN has driven the feeding frenzy that we are currently seeing. Mississippi is not a large market, and there are a lot of people who view us and Ole Miss (wrongly) as being bottom feeder schools. Replacing us with a large market team makes financial sense, so I hope you're right but I fear that this is the obvious next step in the realignment process.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't know if you have seen how Athletic Departments work at major universities, but boosters ABSOLUTELY get a vote.

And no, they won't react well but it won't stop them from cannibalizing older conferences to take a perceived step up into a new super-conference. Ego outweighs wisdom a lot of the time.

You don't think that if it comes down to booting us to make room for a Florida State that boosters at other institutions won't pressure the AD to vote that way? Especially if the TV payouts double in one go?

It's all about money and TV now, and to my original point ESPN has driven the feeding frenzy that we are currently seeing. Mississippi is not a large market, and there are a lot of people who view us and Ole Miss (wrongly) as being bottom feeder schools. Replacing us with a large market team makes financial sense, so I hope you're right but I fear that this is the obvious next step in the realignment process.
Irrational fear. Even if the events of the last decade continue, it'll be 40-50 years before it matters. And no telling what happens in that time, I would imagine a lot of people who want to own land will buy up some areas in MS and the population will grow.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

Most people that get enough money to donate millions are not stupid. There are reasons why when the SEC let schools make their own schedules, that the programs with booster control, didn't play each other much, and didn't come to Starkville. They knew the name of the game is WINS. Period.

You are basing your fear on an outdated TV model.

And I don't know if you have seen any of the Bama message boards, they love playing us and having us around.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login