College sports as we knew them are over

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
And we’re trying to put professional sports into the old college model and it simply isn’t going to work as it stands. I’m all for setting up another professional league not associated with colleges at all and going back to the old model for college which was scholarships but this time you have to actually be student athletes capable of doing the work in the classroom. We’re trying to put a square peg in a round hole and it’s not going to work.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Footballs top money teams will pull away soon. Maybe top 30 maybe top 40….enough to mock the NFLs season and playoff system
“The most popular event of sports”

These teams should separate and be umbrella’ed under the NFL. Each NFL team will have a farm system. It will have its own network.

NFL
D League
College Representative

And then basketball will join…same structure…
Same channel

ESPN will revert back to baseball/soccer/Hockey/slip into HS football market

the remaining college teams will also be ESPN…remain in NCAA

brainstorming here

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
College sports will soon become the D-League. I foresee that players will get Certificates of Participation instead of full degrees while playing for pay. Maybe universities can set up Vocational programs to give them practical skillsets like plumbing, electrician, bricklaying, roofing, etc. etc.

Reactions: boatsandhoes

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
College sports will soon become the D-League. I foresee that players will get Certificates of Participation instead of full degrees while playing for pay. Maybe universities can set up Vocational programs to give them practical skillsets like plumbing, electrician, bricklaying, roofing, etc. etc.
But what will happen when they realize those vocational skills will earn more money than the vast majority of football players? They might drop out of the football program to go make six figures.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Schools like State need to make a hard push at lowering the D1 roster to 70 players with no walkons. Maybe add a 20 person practice squad who can’t play in games. Only way this thing can survive is by limiting the transfer spots. So many of these kids’ careers are dying in the portal. You can’t tell me there aren’t too many roster spots on these teams. Limit the opportunities and players will be a lot more selective with their choices and lot less likely to jump.

Reactions: LimaoCabeca

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
The only constant in life is change.

College football is super chaotic right now because NIL and the Transfer Portal are relatively brand new.

Eventually, everyone will get used to the new features and learn how to use them. Hopefully, everything will settle down then. Might take a few years though.

Now (when everything is new) is the time to jump into the pool with both feet. That's what players are doing.

Mississippi State University had better start strategizing under our new system, so we can get ahead of everyone else. However, we don't even have an Athletic Director. I'm not hopeful.

Just my opinion.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
And we’re trying to put professional sports into the old college model and it simply isn’t going to work as it stands. I’m all for setting up another professional league not associated with colleges at all and going back to the old model for college which was scholarships but this time you have to actually be student athletes capable of doing the work in the classroom. We’re trying to put a square peg in a round hole and it’s not going to work.
Just get rid of the portal. This isn’t nearly as ridiculous without the portal. And it’s the one thing that can be done without worrying about the law as of now.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Footballs top money teams will pull away soon. Maybe top 30 maybe top 40….enough to mock the NFLs season and playoff system
“The most popular event of sports”

These teams should separate and be umbrella’ed under the NFL. Each NFL team will have a farm system. It will have its own network.

NFL
D League
College Representative

And then basketball will join…same structure…
Same channel

ESPN will revert back to baseball/soccer/Hockey/slip into HS football market

the remaining college teams will also be ESPN…remain in NCAA

brainstorming here

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Was Dan Mullen on the committee that came up with the Transfer Portal or was he on another one? My opinion they just need to shut down the portal. Just make them transfer and sit out a year. Also get rid of the red shirt year. You have four years and that is it unless you are hurt. No more Grad Transfers. Shut the free passes down.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
But what will happen when they realize those vocational skills will earn more money than the vast majority of football players? They might drop out of the football program to go make six figures.
They have to complete the vocation/apprentice program which would take at least 2-3 years to become really proficient at it. If they drop out before completing the vocation certificate, it will carry much less weight. To become certified in their profession, they HAVE to complete and receive the MSU Vocation Certificate.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The last 3 days on this board:

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I'm not sure if my nostalgia for a more pure college football past is accurate or that my memory is bad. Lots of things in America have changed besides college football. College sports have definitely evolved recently and maybe not for the better. I think, with the right scheduling, we can still win 7-9 and have the occaisional 9-win season. I also think it's possible that the new normal in college football might make me one day show less interest in college football. I often make decisions based on financial and other considerations and I do that for my kids as well. College athletes get to do that now. Will it ruin the sport? Maybe but they're just doing what most people do in America and that includes sometimes making bad decisions. I'm selfish. I want State to win, I want great athletes to go to State and stay at State and I want them to graduate. Some athletes think differently, they don't seem to consider my self-interested needs, and they don't share my views on this. That happens.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
This would be a small puzzle piece (IF it would work at all) but put NIL money in trusts that players can only collect when they have legitimately completed their school work. If they are drafted early make the NFL pay them the amount due from the NIL upon signing. I.E. to get your NIL money from the school you have to graduate and if the NFL thinks enough of you to take you early they have to pay what has been invested in your development up til now.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login