OT: anyone have friends or family in western North Carolina that we can be praying for?

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
The situation is starting to remind me a lot of Katrina. The only thing missing is somebody goes on TV and says that the President doesn't like hillbillies.
IMO, this is a lot worse than Katrina as a whole, and I think the final cost will exceed.
It’s really strange though. You could drive every interstate in NC in the affected area, and really most state highways and think that not much was wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
I seent it on the internet and that billionaire who’s been promotin his politics weren’t never lied to me

Reactions: ChE1997

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
You liked the first comment that came in launching a political grenade and blaming the administration for blocking aid from unfounded internet rumors

Don’t come back clutching your pearls about making it political reverend.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
You liked the first comment that came in launching a political grenade and blaming the administration for blocking aid from unfounded internet rumors

Don’t come back clutching your pearls about making it political reverend.
I strongly agree with one side, but in a thread about praying for people, it shouldn't be here. Do you know what number it was so I take back my like?

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Who cares what you agree with if it’s a thread about prayer?

Why do you feel the need to express that in a thread about prayer?

Prayer and politics shouldn’t mix but you’re doing a terrible job of not mixing them.

Reactions: 17itdawg

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Who cares what you agree with if it’s a thread about prayer?

Why do you feel the need to express that in a thread about prayer?

Prayer and politics shouldn’t mix but you’re doing a terrible job of not mixing them.
Again, just let me know the numbered post, and I will undo my like.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Drove through S and N Carolinas this weekend. I didn't approach the flooded areas, but man there's a lot of damage. Some places looked untouched, then a mile later it looked like what we got here in Augusta. Passed a lot of power trucks. Those guys are busting their asses across 3-4 states. Was hoping we'd have power by the time we got back last night. Alas, not yet.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I'm not getting into the politics of this thread or how politics relate to recovery efforts. I'll just say southern Appalachia is going to need help for a long time. My family finally got power back Saturday morning. I spent most of the weekend helping one of my best friend's work in their neighborhood in a small community south of Asheville. The destruction there is unthinkable. Please keep praying for the region and it's people. The death toll especially in the rural mountain communities will continue to rise. We need all the help we can get.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
The truth is always somewhere in the middle.

From first-hand accounts plus some clarification :
1. FEMA doesn’t have active workers clearing anything that I can find (if they ever did in their history). Their reps on the ground have said they’re present to help people get the monetary assistance they need. Definitely some poor planning to have an app/website as the main way of doing that.
FEMA’s mission statement says they should be coordinating relief efforts, but I’ve seen no sign they are, or that they’re capable of doing it (and not sure you would want them to.). All the “boots on the ground” stats they’ve released definitely include other government groups like National Guard/military, and I think they’re including a lot of volunteer efforts (not sure if it’s all). If there’s an organized overall HQ in the impacted area, no one in the national media or independent journalists has found it that I’ve seen. Contrast to the coverage when a general landed in New Orleans post-Katrina.
Given the interview with the Hickory Rock local government officials, someone in the North Carolina DOT (whether local or at the state level) had a plan quickly, and has been executing it.
2. There was definitely some sort of stoppage/restriction on flights impacting volunteer flights. I think there were actually two events, being Biden’s overflight, and another being someone (can’t tell if it was FEMA) attempting to get guidelines in place for the area. Both appeared to slow relief efforts, but I think temporarily.
3. The only first-hand accounts I can find of FEMA “seizing” anything was involving StarLink, and it sounded more like blocking/delaying and potentially claiming credit for than seizing.
4. There are first-hand accounts of supplies being turned down by “logistics directors”, in one case saying the group onsite (FEMA was not named) told the delivery convoy to come back in 24 hours when they’d be ready to take and distribute supplies. The response has generally been volunteer groups telling each other to deliver to churches as a first choice.
More than one locale has said they're at storage capacity now, but will need a steady stream of supplies in the days to come.
5. The number of helicopter flights cited by FEMA this weekend sounded abysmally low given military assets in North Carolina. Either there was a ton of activity not being recorded, or there needs to be some very difficult discussions afterwards. You shouldn't need mule trains in modern America...we have Chinooks.
6. The media coverage of Katrina vs this seems night and day. I know Asheville isn’t New Orleans, but I would have expected every news channel to be camped out in Asheville over the past week.
The best case scenario would be that none of them can afford to do so anymore. Also, remember the criticism W faced for waiting until day 3 to fly over the area impacted by Katrina?
They may also have simply decided not to visit places like Hickory Rock until the DOT reopens each city.

Reactions: ChE1997

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I’m not your mommy. Do a little leg work on your own. I already gave you two people to start with. And, femongering? Good grief
Ah another teacup flaoting in space.

Arguments presented without facts can be dismissed without facts.

What do you think FEMA does? What do you think they have standing by?

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
The truth is always somewhere in the middle.

From first-hand accounts plus some clarification :
1. FEMA doesn’t have active workers clearing anything that I can find (if they ever did in their history). Their reps on the ground have said they’re present to help people get the monetary assistance they need. Definitely some poor planning to have an app/website as the main way of doing that.
FEMA’s mission statement says they should be coordinating relief efforts, but I’ve seen no sign they are, or that they’re capable of doing it (and not sure you would want them to.). All the “boots on the ground” stats they’ve released definitely include other government groups like National Guard/military, and I think they’re including a lot of volunteer efforts (not sure if it’s all). If there’s an organized overall HQ in the impacted area, no one in the national media or independent journalists has found it that I’ve seen. Contrast to the coverage when a general landed in New Orleans post-Katrina.
Given the interview with the Hickory Rock local government officials, someone in the North Carolina DOT (whether local or at the state level) had a plan quickly, and has been executing it.
2. There was definitely some sort of stoppage/restriction on flights impacting volunteer flights. I think there were actually two events, being Biden’s overflight, and another being someone (can’t tell if it was FEMA) attempting to get guidelines in place for the area. Both appeared to slow relief efforts, but I think temporarily.
3. The only first-hand accounts I can find of FEMA “seizing” anything was involving StarLink, and it sounded more like blocking/delaying and potentially claiming credit for than seizing.
4. There are first-hand accounts of supplies being turned down by “logistics directors”, in one case saying the group onsite (FEMA was not named) told the delivery convoy to come back in 24 hours when they’d be ready to take and distribute supplies. The response has generally been volunteer groups telling each other to deliver to churches as a first choice.
More than one locale has said they're at storage capacity now, but will need a steady stream of supplies in the days to come.
5. The number of helicopter flights cited by FEMA this weekend sounded abysmally low given military assets in North Carolina. Either there was a ton of activity not being recorded, or there needs to be some very difficult discussions afterwards. You shouldn't need mule trains in modern America...we have Chinooks.
6. The media coverage of Katrina vs this seems night and day. I know Asheville isn’t New Orleans, but I would have expected every news channel to be camped out in Asheville over the past week.
The best case scenario would be that none of them can afford to do so anymore. Also, remember the criticism W faced for waiting until day 3 to fly over the area impacted by Katrina?
They may also have simply decided not to visit places like Hickory Rock until the DOT reopens each city.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login