Columbia South Carolina is terrible

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
Me and a few friends have been slowly checking off every SEC stadium and Columbia is by far the worst place we have visited. People **** on Starkville but I would rather visit Starkville 100x before I ever return back to Columbia. Everything is so spread out and so far away from everything else involving game day. Ubers are unreliable here. Mobs of people walk nearly 3 miles back to campus from the stadium uphill through grassy medians and along the sides of the roads. First time I’ve been worried about getting chiggers walking back to a pickup location from a college game.

Besides the terrible city experience the in game atmosphere was incredible. Everything else was not enjoyable.

Pleased to see a ton of other Bulldog fans there though.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Me and a few friends have been slowly checking off every SEC stadium and Columbia is by far the worst place we have visited. People **** on Starkville but I would rather visit Starkville 100x before I ever return back to Columbia. Everything is so spread out and so far away from everything else involving game day. Ubers are unreliable here. Mobs of people walk nearly 3 miles back to campus from the stadium uphill through grassy medians and along the sides of the roads. First time I’ve been worried about getting chiggers walking back to a pickup location from a college game.

Besides the terrible city experience the in game atmosphere was incredible. Everything else was not enjoyable.

Yep. Been there done that. They have a great home field atmosphere. Beyond that……….meh

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Do they still have the stupid airplane bottles they have to make your drinks with? South Carolina had some dumb *** rules - and even more of them on Sundays. Back in the early 2000s at least.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Really enjoyed Columbia. Also the pregame and in stadium experience is the best in the SEC. credit to their fans bc they are into it from the minute the band hits the field. Really made me realize how lazy our crowd is (and most others). I hope our admin was paying attention.

Having said all that I cant imagine ever going to another game there solely due to the nightmare it is trying to get home from the stadium.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

I’ve told people for years Columbia MO is more SEC than Columbia SC. I lived there and it amazes me how many people didn’t know who State was. We were permanent opponents for 11 years. 26/20 is a clusterfuck. They eat mustard based BBQ. The best sports bar in the whole town closed for no apparent reason 15 years ago. And that **** Dawn Staley lives there. Good zoo though

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
They eat mustard based BBQ ---- that stuff is horrible!

Dawn Staley lives there. --- but she is one hell of a basketball coach. I'd take her in a heartbeat.
Jim Carrey Vomit GIF

My response to both.

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
I’ve told people for years Columbia MO is more SEC than Columbia SC. I lived there and it amazes me how many people didn’t know who State was. We were permanent opponents for 11 years. 26/20 is a clusterfuck. They eat mustard based BBQ. The best sports bar in the whole town closed for no apparent reason 15 years ago. And that **** Dawn Staley lives there. Good zoo though
Your last sentence perfectly describes that place.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I'll second the zoo, it's good.

I've been to a bunch of their basketball games. They play that insufferable tech beat and try like hell to trigger all the epileptic people with the strobes....the chicken crowing has to go though. That **** is horrible on the loud speaker. Their basketball stadium though is nice because of the variety of food options, it's like a food court.

I will still contend that "cocks" was a frat prank just so they could get all the girls to cheer for cock.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012

I'm a member of the Upstate SC Alumni Club. We had about 225 or so Bulldogs at the tailgate at Seawells, which I thought was a good turnout. I agree that the atmosphere is incredible (but a little too loud), and well ahead of Davis Wade. Having said that, Columbia is about my least favorite city in South Carolina. Traffic is a nightmare, at least getting in, but getting out was a breeze, and our group stayed until the end. Tailgating there doesn't hold a candle to The Junction or other SEC stadiums I've visited. Industrial area around Williams-Brice is depressing.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Yeah ok. Our atmosphere is MAC level compared to theirs. Too bad we waste our fan support on a losing club sport
I think many, in fact, most outside objective people would disagree with you there. Here's a few:

“Mississippi State has become the loudest stadium in America. They get those cowbells ringing about three hours before kickoff out in the parking lots. You go through a game there, you come out of there and you can’t hear for about a day and a half. It is unbelievable.”
- Pat Forde, Yahoo Sports on Dan Patrick Show (8.22.17)

"Alabama at Mississippi State last year was the loudest stadium I've ever been in."
- Greg McElroy, ESPN (summer 2018)

“As road environments go, Mississippi State gets really loud – lot of CLANGA going on. The CLANGA in real life is a lot different than the CLANGA off the speaker.”
- Andy Staples, Sports Illustrated (9.14.17)

“The facilities just get better and better every time I come.”
-Todd Blackledge, ESPN (9.16.17)

“When there is a big game at Davis Wade, I’d put that atmosphere up against anything in college football. You gotta see it to believe it.”
-John Hayes, Producer of The Paul Finebaum Show, (9.19.17)

“The atmosphere inside Davis Wade Stadium is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. It’s the best gameday experience and atmosphere I’ve seen in more than 10 years of attending and covering SEC football. Yes, the cowbells exist and they are quite, quite loud. But it’s so much more than that. More than anything, the experience is modern. So many SEC schools are stuck in the past, unwilling to change the old guard, relying on the outdated marching band to belt the same tired fight songs and between-downs music. Any music they do pump in is normally out of touch or not what players and fans are currently listening to. Two ginormous high-definition video boards were airing the Georgia-Auburn game prior to kickoff, drawing you into the stadium early when you might otherwise stay outside. During the game, the boards transformed into the best television sets one could want, airing replays, music videos and hype trailers. The crowd remained engaged from an hour before the game until Nick Fitzgerald’s Hail Mary sailed out of the end zone. … But what was displayed on Saturday night bested anything you’ll find anywhere else in this conference.”
-Chandler Rome, Anniston Star (11.13.17)

“Furthermore, Scott Field had become a virtual noise factory, louder than ever and that is really loud. You could not hear the guy next to you even when he was yelling.”
- Rick Cleveland, Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame writer (11.11.17)

"As road environments go, Mississippi State gets really loud - lot of CLANGA going on. The CLANGA in real life is a lot different than the CLANGA off the speaker."
-Andy Staples, Sports Illustrated (9.14.17)

"I've been here many times. They are simply the best and most genuine fans in college football. I have one request, more cowbell!"
- Paul Finebaum, SEC Network (9.10.16)

"Honestly, it's the trip I look forward to the most ... They lay out the red carpet. The people are great. #HailState man."
- Marcus Spears, SEC Network (9.10.16)

"To all those Bulldog fans shining those cell phone flashlights and signing along to Don't Stop Believin', they make Davis Wade Stadium the most fun place to watch a football game in the SEC."
- Kevin Scarbinsky, AL.com (11.14.15)

"Those polite Mississippians ditch the Southern hospitality in favor of sadism, transforming their stadium into a torture chamber. They ceaselessly pound upon your eardrums. The high-volume video board functions as a waterboard. Then the fans add one more layer of sound by howling hysterically for four hours. On football Saturdays in 2014, with a dream of a team to cheer for, it is an ear-splitting slice of hell for the visiting team. Of all the intimidating venues in America, I cannot imagine a single more oppressive place than previously sleepy Davis Wade Stadium."
- Pat Forde, Yahoo.com (10.11.14)

"Want to know what a revolution sounds like? Between the third and fourth quarter, Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" blares through the stadium speakers. The throng rings cowbells to the beat, creating a deafening roar as they try to hold on to the feeling."
- Pete Thamel, Sports Illustrated (10.10.14)

"It was the most awe-inspiring effort by an SEC fan base in memory. They didn't just watch some amazing things happen Saturday in their own Dawg Pound. They helped make them happen. They didn't just ring responsibly. They celebrated responsibly, too. They didn't just help make a difference. They helped make a statement. A Mississippi State-ment. The Bulldogs are setting the pace on and off the field these days. Let's hope that what happened in Stark Vegas doesn't stay in Stark Vegas. College football would be better for it if other fan bases followed their lead."

- Kevin Scarbinsky, AL.com (10.14.14)

"The combination of the big-game atmosphere with the clanging of the cowbells created a raucous environment that rivals that of any stadium in any sport."
- Barrett Sallee, Bleacher Report (10.13.14)

"Mississippi State was truly incredible. If I was to rank the SEC Nation shows and experiences this year, Mississippi State is number one."
- Joe Tessitore, SEC Network (10.23.14)

"We could spend the rest of our lives trying to top that show."
- Paul Finebaum, SEC Network, on the Oct. 4 SEC Nation Show in Starkville (10.23.14)

"Las Vegas is great but there isn't any place like StarkVegas right now. My man Dan has StarkVegas shoes."
- Jim Rome, Jim Rome Show (10.15.14)

"The loudest game I have ever attended - start to finish - even postgame. You haven't lived until you've heard 'Don't Stop Believing' with accompaniment from 50,000 cowbells."
- Stewart Mandel, Fox Sports (10.11.14) following MSU's 38-23 home win vs. No. 2 Auburn

"The environment Saturday at Davis Wade Stadium was as electric as any college sporting event you're ever going to find. It was the loudest stadium I've ever been in and it wasn't just the cowbells. It was an awesome environment all the way around and great people."
- Chris Low, ESPN.com (10.11.14)

"Poor you. You spent Saturday somewhere other than Mississippi. I'm sorry. You didn't get goose bumps from a late-morning Starkville din so loud it seemed set to jar loose the Mississippi-Alabama borderline and hurl it nearer Tuscaloosa."
- Chuck Culpepper, Washington Post (10.5.14)

"I was driving back to Birmingham and my ears were still ringing. What they've done enclosing that one end zone and putting all the students there has really created a difficult environment."
- Tom Luginbill, ESPN (10.6.14)

"The weekend in Starkville was one of the most electric and extraordinary I've ever experienced covering the Southeastern Conference. I have never seen anything quite like this in my 35 years of covering college football."
- Paul Finebaum, SEC Network (10.4.14)

"This is what college football is all about. This is what gets players blood boiling. Imagine how the players will feel walking through the Dawg Walk going into Davis Wade Stadium."
- Marcus Spears, SEC Network (10.4.14)

"If you think you're tailgating today, stop it. You cannot find a square inch of open grass (in the Junction). The loudest fans we have heard so far in college football this year. It's a truly incredible crowd."
- Joe Tessitore, SEC Network (10.4.14)

"Such great noise in Starkville that it might shake and relocate the Mississippi-Alabama border."
- Chuck Culpepper, Washington Post (10.4.14)

"I expected nothing less than this scene that we have here (in Starkville). This is easily the best scene that we have had on a Friday. No disrespect to anywhere else we have been, but I think you guys are going to raise the stakes for what it means to bring SEC Nation to a campus on Saturdays."
- Kaylee Hartung, SEC Network (10.3.14)

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I think many, in fact, most outside objective people would disagree with you there. Here's a few:

“Mississippi State has become the loudest stadium in America. They get those cowbells ringing about three hours before kickoff out in the parking lots. You go through a game there, you come out of there and you can’t hear for about a day and a half. It is unbelievable.”

"Alabama at Mississippi State last year was the loudest stadium I've ever been in."

“As road environments go, Mississippi State gets really loud – lot of CLANGA going on. The CLANGA in real life is a lot different than the CLANGA off the speaker.”

“When there is a big game at Davis Wade, I’d put that atmosphere up against anything in college football. You gotta see it to believe it.”

“The atmosphere inside Davis Wade Stadium is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. It’s the best gameday experience and atmosphere I’ve seen in more than 10 years of attending and covering SEC football. Yes, the cowbells exist and they are quite, quite loud. But it’s so much more than that. More than anything, the experience is modern. So many SEC schools are stuck in the past, unwilling to change the old guard, relying on the outdated marching band to belt the same tired fight songs and between-downs music. Any music they do pump in is normally out of touch or not what players and fans are currently listening to. Two ginormous high-definition video boards were airing the Georgia-Auburn game prior to kickoff, drawing you into the stadium early when you might otherwise stay outside. During the game, the boards transformed into the best television sets one could want, airing replays, music videos and hype trailers. The crowd remained engaged from an hour before the game until Nick Fitzgerald’s Hail Mary sailed out of the end zone. … But what was displayed on Saturday night bested anything you’ll find anywhere else in this conference.”

“Furthermore, Scott Field had become a virtual noise factory, louder than ever and that is really loud. You could not hear the guy next to you even when he was yelling.”

"As road environments go, Mississippi State gets really loud - lot of CLANGA going on. The CLANGA in real life is a lot different than the CLANGA off the speaker."

"I've been here many times. They are simply the best and most genuine fans in college football. I have one request, more cowbell!"

"Honestly, it's the trip I look forward to the most ... They lay out the red carpet. The people are great. #HailState man."

"To all those Bulldog fans shining those cell phone flashlights and signing along to Don't Stop Believin', they make Davis Wade Stadium the most fun place to watch a football game in the SEC."

"Those polite Mississippians ditch the Southern hospitality in favor of sadism, transforming their stadium into a torture chamber. They ceaselessly pound upon your eardrums. The high-volume video board functions as a waterboard. Then the fans add one more layer of sound by howling hysterically for four hours. On football Saturdays in 2014, with a dream of a team to cheer for, it is an ear-splitting slice of hell for the visiting team. Of all the intimidating venues in America, I cannot imagine a single more oppressive place than previously sleepy Davis Wade Stadium."

"Want to know what a revolution sounds like? Between the third and fourth quarter, Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" blares through the stadium speakers. The throng rings cowbells to the beat, creating a deafening roar as they try to hold on to the feeling."

"It was the most awe-inspiring effort by an SEC fan base in memory. They didn't just watch some amazing things happen Saturday in their own Dawg Pound. They helped make them happen. They didn't just ring responsibly. They celebrated responsibly, too. They didn't just help make a difference. They helped make a statement. A Mississippi State-ment. The Bulldogs are setting the pace on and off the field these days. Let's hope that what happened in Stark Vegas doesn't stay in Stark Vegas. College football would be better for it if other fan bases followed their lead."

"The combination of the big-game atmosphere with the clanging of the cowbells created a raucous environment that rivals that of any stadium in any sport."

"Mississippi State was truly incredible. If I was to rank the SEC Nation shows and experiences this year, Mississippi State is number one."

- Paul Finebaum, SEC Network, on the Oct. 4 SEC Nation Show in Starkville (10.23.14)

"Las Vegas is great but there isn't any place like StarkVegas right now. My man Dan has StarkVegas shoes."

"The loudest game I have ever attended - start to finish - even postgame. You haven't lived until you've heard 'Don't Stop Believing' with accompaniment from 50,000 cowbells."
- Stewart Mandel, Fox Sports (10.11.14) following MSU's 38-23 home win vs. No. 2 Auburn

"The environment Saturday at Davis Wade Stadium was as electric as any college sporting event you're ever going to find. It was the loudest stadium I've ever been in and it wasn't just the cowbells. It was an awesome environment all the way around and great people."

"Poor you. You spent Saturday somewhere other than Mississippi. I'm sorry. You didn't get goose bumps from a late-morning Starkville din so loud it seemed set to jar loose the Mississippi-Alabama borderline and hurl it nearer Tuscaloosa."

"I was driving back to Birmingham and my ears were still ringing. What they've done enclosing that one end zone and putting all the students there has really created a difficult environment."

"The weekend in Starkville was one of the most electric and extraordinary I've ever experienced covering the Southeastern Conference. I have never seen anything quite like this in my 35 years of covering college football."

"This is what college football is all about. This is what gets players blood boiling. Imagine how the players will feel walking through the Dawg Walk going into Davis Wade Stadium."

"If you think you're tailgating today, stop it. You cannot find a square inch of open grass (in the Junction). The loudest fans we have heard so far in college football this year. It's a truly incredible crowd."

"Such great noise in Starkville that it might shake and relocate the Mississippi-Alabama border."

"I expected nothing less than this scene that we have here (in Starkville). This is easily the best scene that we have had on a Friday. No disrespect to anywhere else we have been, but I think you guys are going to raise the stakes for what it means to bring SEC Nation to a campus on Saturdays."
Got anything post 2018? DWS has become a shell of itself

kired

Aug 22, 2008
visit on Thanksgiving this year, probably the best bet... hopefully
Speaking of… UMs pregame for the egg bowl last year was light years better than anything we’ve ever done. I’m looking forward to doing the maroon / white cheer, s-t-a-another t-e spell out, and seeing the snl cowbell skit for the 1000th time.

But their in game atmosphere was not as good as ours.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006

Attachments

• IMG_4700.png
    IMG_4700.png
    845.8 KB · Views: 25

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
...the pregame and in stadium experience is the best in the SEC.

That statement gives me considerable pause. I was not there last night. I have been to a game there, but it's been a while.
Can you expand on that? What was the pregame and in-stadium experience?

I ask because my own pregame and in-stadium experience at Davis-Wade has been thoroughly unenjoyable last year and so far this year. I've never given this much thought because I'm only there for the football, and we have been bad at that of late. If there's something that can be done to make the in-stadium experience better though, I'm interested to hear it.

My seats are in the lower bowl on the west side, so I have every advantage of shade and a short walk already. I'd rather have a chairback like an NFL game than the bench I have.

Mainly, I figure I'm just a grumpy old man who'd rather watch the game from home, but I'm open to suggestions in case that can be delayed a few years.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
That statement gives me considerable pause. I was not there last night. I have been to a game there, but it's been a while.
Can you expand on that? What was the pregame and in-stadium experience?
This isn’t new. People have said similar about SC for a long time.
1. Speakers blaring
2. Use of lights and pyrotechnics. Much better than the giant sparklers we use.
3. Great intro video
4. 2001 team intro is fantastic
5. Crowd belting the alma mater and was into it from the minute the band hit the field
6. At the end of the third they cut every light off and do a video leading into sandstorm.
7. I’m sure there were commercials but I dont remember them bc everything else was so good. When I think of State video boards I just think of that guy yelling “NOW THATS FLAVOR!!”

The few people I ran into all agreed. I’ve been everywhere but Mizzou and TAMU. This was far and away the best I’ve seen

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
1. Speakers blaring
2. Use of lights and pyrotechnics. Much better than the giant sparklers we use.
3. Great intro video
4. 2001 team intro is fantastic
5. Crowd belting the alma mater and was into it from the minute the band hit the field
6. At the end of the third they cut every light off and do a video leading into sandstorm.
7. I’m sure there were commercials but I dont remember them bc everything else was so good. When I think of State video boards I just think of that guy yelling “NOW THATS FLAVOR!!”

The few people I ran into all agreed. I’ve been everywhere but Mizzou and TAMU. This was far and away the best I’ve seen
If you've been to LSU, Bama and Tenn and still think this then that really says all that needs to be said

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
To each his own. But to be clear I’m not talking about pure noise. I’m talking the entire production and experience. Lot of cool things in the conference but this was the first time I’ve said “this is impressive”
Visit Tenn when you can. They've upped their game.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022

Thank you. Even though it's never been a focus for me, I've always felt we left a lot to be desired in the way of pregame and in-stadium experience. I don't know of a better excited-crowd-buzz killer than the "Another T" and the "MAROON/WHITE/Maroon/White/maroon/white/mar??" peter-out cheers. Then the More Cowbell skit that was too old a long time ago. You'd think someone would notice the crowd is less into it after these things than before. Maybe that's too much to hope for.

Sometimes I'm amazed the band doesn't still play "Shake a TailFeather," which is something they did for decades after that got nursing home old, too.

I was a student at State in the early 90s, had season tickets until the early 2000s, then moved away and bought a game or two each season until last year. Last year I got season tickets again and have them this year also. Not much has changed in all that time. Except the Templeton Troughs. Glad those are gone.

When I think of our video board, I think of the "one call, that's all" shyster injury lawyer who put on an MSU golf shirt to say "Help the refs make the right call," followed by someone painfully trying to figure out how to fast forward and rewind video, then giving up right before we could probably tell something. That's still better than "Oooh LAWRD, WON'T YOU BUY ME, A MER-SAY-DEEZ-BENZ?" But that's not a high bar to cross.

Even though I bought season tickets through the athletic department, I missed the opportunity to get the aftermarket chairbacks put on my seats. I found someone to ask about that at the first game and was told I was too late. My son sat in some vacant ones next to us that day, though, and they made him break out. I read on here where it's likely caused by the weathering of the seats exposing the fibers to puncture skin. That sounds about right.

Practically every one of our "Poor ole' State" problems is self inflicted.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
Speaking of… UMs pregame for the egg bowl last year was light years better than anything we’ve ever done. I’m looking forward to doing the maroon / white cheer, s-t-a-another t-e spell out, and seeing the snl cowbell skit for the 1000th time.

But their in game atmosphere was not as good as ours.
Ole Miss has such a quiet stadium. I was at the Liberty game in 2021 and it was like the crowd was muted. They’re not aggressive like other stadiums.

Reactions: bloody spur

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
The 2 loudest stadiums in college foorball over the years have been Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, LA and Autzen Stadium in Eugene, OR. I think extensive decibel studies concluded that. Also, to note were UF and UTK stadiums. I'm sure many others were pretty high up the list as well.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The 2 loudest stadiums in college foorball over the years have been Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, LA and Autzen Stadium in Eugene, OR. I think extensive decibel studies concluded that. Also, to note were UF and UTK stadiums. I'm sure many others were pretty high up the list as well.
After having been to Autzen, I always questioned this. I liked some of the pregame stuff they did outside the stadium, and it was all nice and pleasant, but it wasn't super loud. I haven't been to a game at A&M, but there's no way Autzen is louder than DWS (on our good days), Deaf Valley, Neyland, Jordan-Hare, The Swamp, or Williams-Brice.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I notice these are all Mullen Era. That's the problem. We've quit attending at a high level, and now that we have a big(ger) stadium than we did before, it looks bad.

You have to have good attendance if you want to be a big time program. We still have not learned that. We'd rather play travel baseball.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

But how does it compare to Jackson?

All this does is remind me of another mistake the State of Mississippi made, and that was not locating one of the major colleges in Jackson (or Meridian for that matter). There would probably be no need for USM had that happened.

We can make fun of Columbia all we want, but at least the city is viable, and the state of SC is growing.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Ole Miss has such a quiet stadium. I was at the Liberty game in 2021 and it was like the crowd was muted. They’re not aggressive like other stadiums.
One thing that killed their crowd in my opinion was their live DJ. Most places try to get the crowd singing along or whatever. But with the DJ thing, he'd mix up songs and I think it kind of backfired on them. The crowd can't get into it when the lyrics and beats are mixed up every 10 seconds so they just sit and listen.

FlexOnThaDevil

Joined Sep 23, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 26, 2022

Man you are pulling up crap from 5-9 years ago. Get real lmao.

Reactions: boot101
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login