Columbia South Carolina is terrible

TrueGCFan

Joined Aug 31, 2010
Jan 29, 2022
Hate Columbia all you want. It's growing year over year. The city and surrounding area are close to 1 million people and getting bigger. So a lot of people like it.

The stadium last night was electric and elite.

The university has invested a substantial amount in upgrading the in-game experience and surrounding area. On top of that our video team, lead by Justin King, turns it into as much party that celebrates all things Gamecocks as it is a football games.

Players love it. Fans love it. Recruits love it.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I missed the opportunity to get the aftermarket chairbacks put on my seats. I found someone to ask about that at the first game and was told I was too late.
The ones they installed this year are horrible, tiny and don't even go back to the end of the bleacher. The ones they used a few years ago were great. I think this went from the university handling to a contractor.

Lilburncock

Joined Nov 24, 2003
Jan 17, 2022
I think many, in fact, most outside objective people would disagree with you there. Here's a few:

“Mississippi State has become the loudest stadium in America. They get those cowbells ringing about three hours before kickoff out in the parking lots. You go through a game there, you come out of there and you can’t hear for about a day and a half. It is unbelievable.”
- Pat Forde, Yahoo Sports on Dan Patrick Show (8.22.17)

"Alabama at Mississippi State last year was the loudest stadium I've ever been in."
- Greg McElroy, ESPN (summer 2018)

“As road environments go, Mississippi State gets really loud – lot of CLANGA going on. The CLANGA in real life is a lot different than the CLANGA off the speaker.”
- Andy Staples, Sports Illustrated (9.14.17)

“The facilities just get better and better every time I come.”
-Todd Blackledge, ESPN (9.16.17)

“When there is a big game at Davis Wade, I’d put that atmosphere up against anything in college football. You gotta see it to believe it.”
-John Hayes, Producer of The Paul Finebaum Show, (9.19.17)

“The atmosphere inside Davis Wade Stadium is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. It’s the best gameday experience and atmosphere I’ve seen in more than 10 years of attending and covering SEC football. Yes, the cowbells exist and they are quite, quite loud. But it’s so much more than that. More than anything, the experience is modern. So many SEC schools are stuck in the past, unwilling to change the old guard, relying on the outdated marching band to belt the same tired fight songs and between-downs music. Any music they do pump in is normally out of touch or not what players and fans are currently listening to. Two ginormous high-definition video boards were airing the Georgia-Auburn game prior to kickoff, drawing you into the stadium early when you might otherwise stay outside. During the game, the boards transformed into the best television sets one could want, airing replays, music videos and hype trailers. The crowd remained engaged from an hour before the game until Nick Fitzgerald’s Hail Mary sailed out of the end zone. … But what was displayed on Saturday night bested anything you’ll find anywhere else in this conference.”
-Chandler Rome, Anniston Star (11.13.17)

“Furthermore, Scott Field had become a virtual noise factory, louder than ever and that is really loud. You could not hear the guy next to you even when he was yelling.”
- Rick Cleveland, Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame writer (11.11.17)

"As road environments go, Mississippi State gets really loud - lot of CLANGA going on. The CLANGA in real life is a lot different than the CLANGA off the speaker."
-Andy Staples, Sports Illustrated (9.14.17)

"I've been here many times. They are simply the best and most genuine fans in college football. I have one request, more cowbell!"
- Paul Finebaum, SEC Network (9.10.16)

"Honestly, it's the trip I look forward to the most ... They lay out the red carpet. The people are great. #HailState man."
- Marcus Spears, SEC Network (9.10.16)

"To all those Bulldog fans shining those cell phone flashlights and signing along to Don't Stop Believin', they make Davis Wade Stadium the most fun place to watch a football game in the SEC."
- Kevin Scarbinsky, AL.com (11.14.15)

"Those polite Mississippians ditch the Southern hospitality in favor of sadism, transforming their stadium into a torture chamber. They ceaselessly pound upon your eardrums. The high-volume video board functions as a waterboard. Then the fans add one more layer of sound by howling hysterically for four hours. On football Saturdays in 2014, with a dream of a team to cheer for, it is an ear-splitting slice of hell for the visiting team. Of all the intimidating venues in America, I cannot imagine a single more oppressive place than previously sleepy Davis Wade Stadium."
- Pat Forde, Yahoo.com (10.11.14)

"Want to know what a revolution sounds like? Between the third and fourth quarter, Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" blares through the stadium speakers. The throng rings cowbells to the beat, creating a deafening roar as they try to hold on to the feeling."
- Pete Thamel, Sports Illustrated (10.10.14)

"It was the most awe-inspiring effort by an SEC fan base in memory. They didn't just watch some amazing things happen Saturday in their own Dawg Pound. They helped make them happen. They didn't just ring responsibly. They celebrated responsibly, too. They didn't just help make a difference. They helped make a statement. A Mississippi State-ment. The Bulldogs are setting the pace on and off the field these days. Let's hope that what happened in Stark Vegas doesn't stay in Stark Vegas. College football would be better for it if other fan bases followed their lead."

- Kevin Scarbinsky, AL.com (10.14.14)

"The combination of the big-game atmosphere with the clanging of the cowbells created a raucous environment that rivals that of any stadium in any sport."
- Barrett Sallee, Bleacher Report (10.13.14)

"Mississippi State was truly incredible. If I was to rank the SEC Nation shows and experiences this year, Mississippi State is number one."
- Joe Tessitore, SEC Network (10.23.14)

"We could spend the rest of our lives trying to top that show."
- Paul Finebaum, SEC Network, on the Oct. 4 SEC Nation Show in Starkville (10.23.14)

"Las Vegas is great but there isn't any place like StarkVegas right now. My man Dan has StarkVegas shoes."
- Jim Rome, Jim Rome Show (10.15.14)

"The loudest game I have ever attended - start to finish - even postgame. You haven't lived until you've heard 'Don't Stop Believing' with accompaniment from 50,000 cowbells."
- Stewart Mandel, Fox Sports (10.11.14) following MSU's 38-23 home win vs. No. 2 Auburn

"The environment Saturday at Davis Wade Stadium was as electric as any college sporting event you're ever going to find. It was the loudest stadium I've ever been in and it wasn't just the cowbells. It was an awesome environment all the way around and great people."
- Chris Low, ESPN.com (10.11.14)

"Poor you. You spent Saturday somewhere other than Mississippi. I'm sorry. You didn't get goose bumps from a late-morning Starkville din so loud it seemed set to jar loose the Mississippi-Alabama borderline and hurl it nearer Tuscaloosa."
- Chuck Culpepper, Washington Post (10.5.14)

"I was driving back to Birmingham and my ears were still ringing. What they've done enclosing that one end zone and putting all the students there has really created a difficult environment."
- Tom Luginbill, ESPN (10.6.14)

"The weekend in Starkville was one of the most electric and extraordinary I've ever experienced covering the Southeastern Conference. I have never seen anything quite like this in my 35 years of covering college football."
- Paul Finebaum, SEC Network (10.4.14)

"This is what college football is all about. This is what gets players blood boiling. Imagine how the players will feel walking through the Dawg Walk going into Davis Wade Stadium."
- Marcus Spears, SEC Network (10.4.14)

"If you think you're tailgating today, stop it. You cannot find a square inch of open grass (in the Junction). The loudest fans we have heard so far in college football this year. It's a truly incredible crowd."
- Joe Tessitore, SEC Network (10.4.14)

"Such great noise in Starkville that it might shake and relocate the Mississippi-Alabama border."
- Chuck Culpepper, Washington Post (10.4.14)

"I expected nothing less than this scene that we have here (in Starkville). This is easily the best scene that we have had on a Friday. No disrespect to anywhere else we have been, but I think you guys are going to raise the stakes for what it means to bring SEC Nation to a campus on Saturdays."
- Kaylee Hartung, SEC Network (10.3.14)
Got anything from this decade?

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015
Got anything post 2018? DWS has become a shell of itself
We have become quite lazy as fans. From my viewpoint, mostly only the students are standing during pregame. Even during any chants, people just sitting on their arses. If you stand up to ring or cheer in section 19, you feel stupid for being the only one standing up. And, about 40% participate in the maroon/white cheer (which I hate but still participate) and the “give. me. a. S T A… blah blah” cheer, which leads to nowhere. Anyway, I notice on tv that fans at other stadiums stand up a lot and cheer. We don’t.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Got anything from this decade?
You're right, 5 years ago is ancient history.

I'm sure all those nationally syndicated writers haven't had time to publish many lately, what with all the recent national articles about Williams Brice Stadium being the 'loudest environment in sports' and 'the best college football atmosphere in the country'. Where did I put those articles? I mean I'm sure they were around here somewhere...

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The STATE spell out is a pregame tradition and leads into another tradition, the "Go State" cheer. Which really you don't hear much anymore because of all the electronic music and videos. It's the "maroon, white..." that leads to nowhere and needs to be cut.

Fans would stand up plenty if we played worth a damn. Getting destroyed tends to kill enthusiasm..... but I was on my feet screaming with all the empty seats around me vs AZ.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
We have become quite lazy as fans. From my viewpoint, mostly only the students are standing during pregame. Even during any chants, people just sitting on their arses. If you stand up to ring or cheer in section 19, you feel stupid for being the only one standing up. And, about 40% participate in the maroon/white cheer (which I hate but still participate) and the “give. me. a. S T A… blah blah” cheer, which leads to nowhere. Anyway, I notice on tv that fans at other stadiums stand up a lot and cheer. We don’t.
I wouldn't say they are totally lazy, just bored. Administration hasn't given them much excitement in the fan experience department. As far as the maroon/white chant I think it is a stupid "tradition" for pre-game. It works so much better when the opposing pitcher is in a jam or during a timeout at the Hump when were on a run and have rattled the opponent.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Got anything post 2018? DWS has become a shell of itself

Well that would cover 2 years of Sloe Joe and 3 years of 3 yds and a cloud of dust dink and dunk. We were winning some w/ Leach but falling asleep while doing it. What would you have expected? How many stadiums across the country can say they have increased attendance during that time? FEW, very few.

Football Attendance

Your preoccupation w/ bashing baseball never ceases to amaze me either, especially from a guy that has a thumbmail baseball (i.e. "club sport") picture on his profile. You ***** about sports not getting attended at MSU then you turn right around and ***** often about a sport that does get great attendance win or lose. Help us understand why good attendance in any sport at MSU is "wasted"? It increases ticket sales (i.e. revenue), it increases concessions (revenue), it generates tv viewship and exposure, and yet you have a burr under your butt about people going to baseball games for some reason.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Speaking of… UMs pregame for the egg bowl last year was light years better than anything we’ve ever done. I’m looking forward to doing the maroon / white cheer, s-t-a-another t-e spell out, and seeing the snl cowbell skit for the 1000th time.

But their in game atmosphere was not as good as ours.

You left out that "rousing rendition of the original MSU Fight Song, Madeliiiiiiiiine........

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
After having been to Autzen, I always questioned this. I liked some of the pregame stuff they did outside the stadium, and it was all nice and pleasant, but it wasn't super loud. I haven't been to a game at A&M, but there's no way Autzen is louder than DWS (on our good days), Deaf Valley, Neyland, Jordan-Hare, The Swamp, or Williams-Brice.

I agree, Autzen was a big disappointment. I heard over and over how loud it was and it was a joke. We saw maybe half a dozen groups tailgating. Most everybody went to the big center that Phil Knight built on a bunch of artificial turf and sat around eating sandwiches and watching tvs.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Well that would cover 2 years of Sloe Joe and 3 years of 3 yds and a cloud of dust dink and dunk. We were winning some w/ Leach but falling asleep while doing it. What would you have expected? How many stadiums across the country can say they have increased attendance during that time? FEW, very few.

Football Attendance

Your preoccupation w/ bashing baseball never ceases to amaze me either, especially from a guy that has a thumbmail baseball (i.e. "club sport") picture on his profile. You ***** about sports not getting attended at MSU then you turn right around and ***** often about a sport that does get great attendance win or lose. Help us understand why good attendance in any sport at MSU is "wasted"? It increases ticket sales (i.e. revenue), it increases concessions (revenue), it generates tv viewship and exposure, and yet you have a burr under your butt about people going to baseball games for some reason.
Let’s base this off 2023 only. I have been to all 4 games this season (3 home and 1 away). South Carolina’s atmosphere and fan engagement was night and day compared to ours. How they showed out for their 1-2 team vs a 2-1 team in us (and let’s be honest we don’t move the needle for 12 other SEC schools) was genuinely impressive and should be eye opening for anyone associated with Mississippi State who was at the game. We have that in baseball and if we tried we could have that in football and basketball

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Let’s base this off 2023 only. I have been to all 4 games this season (3 home and 1 away). South Carolina’s atmosphere and fan engagement was night and day compared to ours. How they showed out for their 1-2 team vs a 2-1 team in us (and let’s be honest we don’t move the needle for 12 other SEC schools) was genuinely impressive and should be eye opening for anyone associated with Mississippi State who was at the game. We have that in baseball and if we tried we could have that in football and basketball
If you're basing this solely off 2023, then I'd say it's because the team looks bad, and had shown no glimmer of life prior to a handful of plays Saturday night. South Carolina people and some others want to compare the two gameday experiences THIS YEAR, so go ahead - but compare their prior game against #1 UGA to ours against a "pretty good" LSU team THIS YEAR.

They are definitely on the up, and we looked mostly dead. Which team would you want to show up for the next week?

I thought - even though we didn't look great at times against SELA - the Arizona crowd was pretty good. There were some empty seats on the east side, but it was a non-con game. The white out looked impressive in the home and student sections. The crowd was loud and into it before the game. Then the team laid a bit of a turd, and I felt a collective "uh oh" from the fanbase... Then LSU.

Our fans will show up better than most, when the product is worth it. When you have a total state population of <3M, divided somewhat between 2-3 or more schools, that just is what it is. Some SC guy said yesterday the MSA around Columbia is approaching 1M people. ****, no wonder they have 80,000 people in the stands. That's 8% of their local population - that's like us bragging that 16,000 people came to one of State's games, and I'm being generous. Did you see the Arizona people amazed at the fact that so many people came from 2+ hours away? 60,000+ is actually a hell of an achievement where we are.

We've gotten nationally recognized in the fairly recent past for our gameday atmosphere, but the team is not in a good place right now. So I just don't think you can only blame fans. I think we're doing okay. Fix the defense and the running game, and make a few game experience tweaks, and the atmosphere will be back.

Reactions: eckie1

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
If you're basing this solely off 2023, then I'd say it's because the team looks bad, and had shown no glimmer of life prior to a handful of plays Saturday night. South Carolina people and some others want to compare the two gameday experiences THIS YEAR, so go ahead - but compare their prior game against #1 UGA to ours against a "pretty good" LSU team THIS YEAR.

They are definitely on the up, and we looked mostly dead. Which team would you want to show up for the next week?

I thought - even though we didn't look great at times against SELA - the Arizona crowd was pretty good. There were some empty seats on the east side, but it was a non-con game. The white out looked impressive in the home and student sections. The crowd was loud and into it before the game. Then the team laid a bit of a turd, and I felt a collective "uh oh" from the fanbase... Then LSU.

Our fans will show up better than most, when the product is worth it. When you have a total state population of <3M, divided somewhat between 2-3 or more schools, that just is what it is. Some SC guy said yesterday the MSA around Columbia is approaching 1M people. ****, no wonder they have 80,000 people in the stands. That's 8% of their local population - that's like us bragging that 16,000 people came to one of State's games, and I'm being generous. Did you see the Arizona people amazed at the fact that so many people came from 2+ hours away? 60,000+ is actually a hell of an achievement where we are.

We've gotten nationally recognized in the fairly recent past for our gameday atmosphere, but the team is not in a good place right now. So I just don't think you can only blame fans. I think we're doing okay. Fix the defense and the running game, and make a few game experience tweaks, and the atmosphere will be back.
The Arizona atmosphere was fine. Believe me if we had the type of atmosphere I just saw in Columbia we would talk about that for years to come

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I only have one experience there, and it was a whirlwind trip while I was in school. 1998, when KP returned the opening kick and we won 38-0. So, obviously they weren’t rocking that day, but they were a horrendous team and had a good sized crowd.

The stadium itself (at the time) was a larger version of War Memorial in Little Rock with fewer toothless meth addicts, but far more t-top Trans-Ams. Seemed like much more metal than concrete. It’s on a fairgrounds, and not in a nice area. I didn’t notice much in the way of tailgating, but if there was any it was in a parking lot.

We didn’t get to experience any of Columbia, b/c we were staying pretty far outside of the area and we’re doing good just to make it to the game and back.

I think the fans pride themselves on attendance, which is great. But, as far as overall game day experience (tailgating and location) I wasn’t blown away.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The Arizona atmosphere was fine. Believe me if we had the type of atmosphere I just saw in Columbia we would talk about that for years to come
Okay, keep telling me how great that game experience was, I am proud for them. They beat two huge nationally ranked rivals at the end of last year. They recruited well off that. Their coach didn't die in the offseason. This was their SEC home opener, on ESPN, at night, against a team they knew they could beat. They are having fun right now. To compare it to our current atmosphere and situation is nonsense. That's my point.

Let's see what it's like after they run off a few L's in a row and look completely lifeless doing it... Or better yet, the real test is Beamer runs off at the end of this year, so they hire Joe Moorhead for a couple years and then let's see what a great atmosphere Williams Brice is. That's essentially what you're doing to us.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
All I know is we are four weeks into the season, and I am just now getting my new Bulldog Club window sticker. I usually get those two weeks before the season starts. It's the little things that can either piss you off or make you happy sometimes.

• Haha
Reactions: eckie1

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Okay, keep telling me how great that game experience was, I am proud for them. They beat two huge nationally ranked rivals at the end of last year. They recruited well off that. Their coach didn't die in the offseason. This was their SEC home opener, on ESPN, at night, against a team they knew they could beat. They are having fun right now. To compare it to our current atmosphere and situation is nonsense. That's my point.

Let's see what it's like after they run off a few L's in a row and look completely lifeless doing it... Or better yet, the real test is Beamer runs off at the end of this year, so they hire Joe Moorhead for a couple years and then let's see what a great atmosphere Williams Brice is. That's essentially what you're doing to us.
Less than a decade ago their best coach ever quit on them in the middle of the season and is now an ambassador for a division rival. They hired Will Muschamp and all in that same time their biggest rival won 2 national championships and had 6 straight playoffs appearances (and they didn’t beat them from 2014-2021). They started 1-2 including a neutral game loss to a regional rival yet they showed out

Reactions: will110

CDawg08

Oct 5, 2022
I was there and it was the best in game show I’ve seen. It was like watching a football game and a rock concert at the same time very very well done. We need to get into 21st century or we’re about to be left behind. Anyone that was there and wasn’t impressed by the in game atmosphere you just need to stay at home

Reactions: boot101

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I was there and it was the best in game show I’ve seen. It was like watching a football game and a rock concert at the same time very very well done. We need to get into 21st century or we’re about to be left behind. Anyone that was there and wasn’t impressed by the in game atmosphere you just need to stay at home
A football game and a rock concert mixed together sounds like hell on earth to me. I’m not there to listen to top 40 music and see a light show.

It seems to me that scar is going for more of a pro football vibe, and much less of a college experience. To each his own, and it’s great that you enjoyed it. But don’t act like that’s everybody’s cup of tea. I go to a lot of NFL games, and it’s nowhere near as special as a college game to me. The crowd noise is all pumped in, etc…

I agree we need to upgrade some of our in-game experience. But if we ever turn our college atmosphere into a rock concert, you’re gonna see even smaller crowds.

Reactions: The Peeper

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
Hate Columbia all you want. It's growing year over year. The city and surrounding area are close to 1 million people and getting bigger. So a lot of people like it.

The university has invested a substantial amount in upgrading the in-game experience and surrounding area. On top of that our video team, lead by Justin King, turns it into as much party that celebrates all things Gamecocks as it is a football games.

I don’t care about the growth. It’s crazy how inconvenient it is for people to get to and from the stadium. Thousands were walking back to town on rail road tracks and knee high grass like that was normal. No Uber could get close to that area due to road closures and traffic from the game. If you don’t drive your own car to the stadium then you’re basically 17’d and have to walk 2.5 miles to a location that an Uber can actually reach you. It’s all industrial park chainlink fences all around the stadium and one brewery called River Rat with below average beer. Just not a good place for traveling fans. As a person from Columbia or as you said recruits where all that is handled for them then it’s fine. Just explaining my experience. Also like I said the in game experience and stadium itself was awesome. I’ve been to half of the SEC stadiums now and I’d rank the game experience number 2 behind Tennessee. Bama is like 4th or 5th on my list. Still Havnt been to LSU or A&M yet. Can’t wait for my first visit to the Swamp

Reactions: boot101

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014

The fan involvement throughout the game and engagement with music was incredible. Videos incredible. The towels looked very cool with sandman blaring. They did a remix version of sandman with a drop in the song with the entire stadium screaming “Hey” over and over slinging the towels in the air… it was great. Had me pumped the whole game.

TrueGCFan

Joined Aug 31, 2010
Jan 29, 2022
I don’t care about the growth. It’s crazy how inconvenient it is for people to get to and from the stadium. Thousands were walking back to town on rail road tracks and knee high grass like that was normal. No Uber could get close to that area due to road closures and traffic from the game. If you don’t drive your own car to the stadium then you’re basically 17’d and have to walk 2.5 miles to a location that an Uber can actually reach you. It’s all industrial park chainlink fences all around the stadium and one brewery called River Rat with below average beer. Just not a good place for traveling fans. As a person from Columbia or as you said recruits where all that is handled for them then it’s fine. Just explaining my experience. Also like I said the in game experience and stadium itself was awesome. I’ve been to half of the SEC stadiums now and I’d rank the game experience number 2 behind Tennessee. Bama is like 4th or 5th on my list. Still Havnt been to LSU or A&M yet. Can’t wait for my first visit to the Swamp
There's nothing you said here that Gamecock fans don't complain about every game.

The city and University are in process to $100 million+ renovations around WB. One that includes restaurants, bars and condos. So come back in 5 years and it will be very different.

As for traffic. It sucks. Always has and always will.

Otis53

Joined May 2, 2005
Jan 19, 2022
I only have one experience there, and it was a whirlwind trip while I was in school. 1998, when KP returned the opening kick and we won 38-0. So, obviously they weren’t rocking that day, but they were a horrendous team and had a good sized crowd.

The stadium itself (at the time) was a larger version of War Memorial in Little Rock with fewer toothless meth addicts, but far more t-top Trans-Ams. Seemed like much more metal than concrete. It’s on a fairgrounds, and not in a nice area. I didn’t notice much in the way of tailgating, but if there was any it was in a parking lot.

We didn’t get to experience any of Columbia, b/c we were staying pretty far outside of the area and we’re doing good just to make it to the game and back.

I think the fans pride themselves on attendance, which is great. But, as far as overall game day experience (tailgating and location) I wasn’t blown away.
That was 1998. It's nothing like 1998

Otis53

Joined May 2, 2005
Jan 19, 2022
Yea it's harder to get there when you have 80,000 seats compared to how many at State? 61,000

Add 20,000 seats and you will have the same issue lol

Last edited:

SirSpur

Joined Jan 10, 2014
Jan 31, 2022
Me and a few friends have been slowly checking off every SEC stadium and Columbia is by far the worst place we have visited. People **** on Starkville but I would rather visit Starkville 100x before I ever return back to Columbia. Everything is so spread out and so far away from everything else involving game day. Ubers are unreliable here. Mobs of people walk nearly 3 miles back to campus from the stadium uphill through grassy medians and along the sides of the roads. First time I’ve been worried about getting chiggers walking back to a pickup location from a college game.

Besides the terrible city experience the in game atmosphere was incredible. Everything else was not enjoyable.

Pleased to see a ton of other Bulldog fans there though.
Not wrong. My last game I had to pay $50 to park next to a dumpster and walk a mile to the game. Really nothing around the stadium but industrial buildings and big money lots etc. Not set up for visitors or non-millionaires. I think this will change but for now I understand the comments.

Otis53

Joined May 2, 2005
Jan 19, 2022
Not wrong. My last game I had to pay $50 to park next to a dumpster and walk a mile to the game. Really nothing around the stadium but industrial buildings and big money lots etc. Not set up for visitors or non-millionaires. I think this will change but for now I understand the comments.
Nothing around the stadium but industrial buildings? I walked all around this past weekend and never once did I think, hey, look at all these Industrial Buildings. Lol

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
Me and a few friends have been slowly checking off every SEC stadium and Columbia is by far the worst place we have visited. People **** on Starkville but I would rather visit Starkville 100x before I ever return back to Columbia. Everything is so spread out and so far away from everything else involving game day. Ubers are unreliable here. Mobs of people walk nearly 3 miles back to campus from the stadium uphill through grassy medians and along the sides of the roads. First time I’ve been worried about getting chiggers walking back to a pickup location from a college game.

Besides the terrible city experience the in game atmosphere was incredible. Everything else was not enjoyable.

I enjoyed my trip, thought it was a good atmosphere. That stadium is pretty big. Great fan interaction experience. Uber charged me $45 to go about 5 miles game nite, then next morning I took a 15 mile ride down the interstate and it was only $16. Can you say price gouging? I’d go back. Only trip I ever took, I get in my truck at home and it was like a straight shot to Columbia. Seemed like I never took a turn, just a 7.5 hours long, straight shot drive but missed that ATL traffic going and a comin’ home! :)

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
Jim Carrey Vomit GIF

My response to both.
It is terrible! #YUCK

Falcon900

Joined Feb 21, 2019
Jan 22, 2022
My nephew attend MSU. He told me he buys food at a gas station, makes the 20 mile drive to a War-Mart if he needs something that they do not carry in a convenience store.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
They eat mustard based BBQ ---- that stuff is horrible!
I've got to admit. A pulled pork sandwich with slaw and mustard based bbq is good stuff. It's the only way I really like the mustard sauce.

If you're ever passing through SE Ark , stop at a place called Hoots BBQ in McGehee and get the pulled pork burger. Big burger with pulled pork, slaw, and the mustard sauce. Absolutely top notch.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
From watching a few crowd shots it did look amped up a few times, but then again, I saw many fans on their phones and several looking bored. Crazy that they had to struggle that much at home with little old Mississippi State I guess.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Fun thread to read through as a Gamecock fan. I'm glad Williams-Brice left such a good impression on so many of you MSU fans who attended!

I went to the Carolina-State game back in 2016 in Starkville. I remember being impressed with the stadium itself, especially with the huge video boards on both ends. Having a true on-campus stadium is cool as well. I thought, from at least that one game experience, that the cowbells actually reduced the crowd volume at the snap when it most matters to be loud since it seemed like fans were too busy ringing the cowbells to yell when they had to stop ringing them. But that was just one game, so hard to have a real opinion with such a limited sample size.

One thing I'm sure we all can agree on...losing Mike Leach really sucked. I started pulling for State when he got the job. His first game there against LSU was awesome. He's always been one of my favorite coaches.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
F, that the cowbells actually reduced the crowd volume at the snap when it most matters to be loud since it seemed like fans were too busy ringing the cowbells to yell when they had to stop ringing them.
Yep. Our fans have forgotten how to clap and yell. Said that after going to the Arizona game this year.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
the cowbells actually reduced the crowd volume at the snap when it most matters to be loud since it seemed like fans were too busy ringing the cowbells to yell
From the decades of banning artificial noisemakers in sec games (the cowbell rule), I've never understood the ban. The cowbells do not make things louder in the stadium during a game, unless you are sitting with someone who is ringing it constantly, but it's only the immediate area getting disrupted. On the field, it's a mild din, and if anything, a different experience to have everyone quiet except for the bells.

Dogsincebirth

Sep 29, 2020

Funny how opinions differ. We have made the trip to Columbia many times, and we love it. I would rank it the fifth best SEC away game.

Nov 11, 2007

I haven't been back to Columbia since I spent 4 months in Fort Jackson, SC some 50 years ago, but that was enough...

mike tice

Sep 30, 2022

Lol @ chiggers. I cant stand chiggers. Seriously they suck

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login