Columbus MS?

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
Taking myself and my son to our first Egg Bowl. Normally stay at the Holiday Inn by Cookout when we are in Starkville but rooms were hard to come by. Settled for Fairfield Inn and Suites in Columbus. I’ve never even driven through that area. How is it?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
He's back. Been a while. How was Disney? Did you stay for a month?

ETA. Nevermind. I see you had Nostradamus meets Lee Harvey moment. Anywho. Have fun at the game.

Last edited:

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
He's back. Been a while. How was Disney? Did you stay for a month?

ETA. Nevermind. I see you had Nostradamus meets Lee Harvey moment. Anywho. Have fun at the game.

Happens. Sorry bout it I guess? How’s Columbus? And how are you?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
All good. I actually stayed in the Courtyard next to your hotel when I took my then 5 yo to his first game in 2019. Nothing to worry about other than the normal clean your vehicle out before parking overnight in hotel... But that applies everywhere.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's been a few years, but that was my hotel of choice when I used to work in Columbus. It's a pretty nice town with good restaurant options.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I wouldn't go exploring, but as long as you stay near the hotel and the restaurants on Hwy 45 and downtown, sure.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Fairfield is a Mariott brand. Therefore it is held to the Mariott standard. So it will be just fine. That's why I almost exclusively stay in Mariotts. Because early in my career I stayed in many dumpy motels, and that **** gets old.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
For those who aren't frequent visitors to the GT region since their graduation, Columbus has always been the bigger and more industry oriented of the GTR area. Starkville will end up as the winner because so much money flows to college towns now, but Columbus is still a major town in MS terms.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Starkville is already larger population wise and seeing retail transition that way

ETA: back to OP, That hotel is perfectly safe and nice for you to stay.

Grove Sh*tter

Aug 25, 2014
Hidden gem eateries in C-town:

Proffit's Porch (like Oby's, but better food on a gravel road close to the lock and dam with a lake view and bald eagle nest)
PeKing Chinese Restaurant (greasy spoon type Chinese joint)
Mexican Kitchen

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
The Fairfield is fine. Good area with those 3 hotels there. Very well lit and safe. I prefer the courtyard rooms of those two there but each are fine. It mostly has to do with pillows….

Go eat at Hucks place. Good food in a kid friendly environment that is also a good adult environment. And as the other guy said, grab lunch at proffitts porch

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Ahh the Mexican Kitchen. Was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Probably haven’t eaten there in 20yrs, but I seem to remember it wasn’t as good as I thought it was when I was a kid. Definitely an institution.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2012

Proffit's Porch (like Oby's, but better food on a gravel road close to the lock and dam with a lake view and bald eagle nest)
Mexican Kitchen

All good. I work in Columbus so let me add 2 as well:

United Deli - Its literally the best sandwich around. Kind of in the wrong part of town though, If you go there, go during daylight hours.

Zachary's- Awesome food and atmosphere. In the OK part of downtown.

Profit's porch really is great, but it's certainly out in the middle of nowhere

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Safe for a 5 year old?

Why does this sentence remind me of the Dave Chappell bit about baby on the corner in DC.

I realize you didn't mean to turn your kid totally loose on the town but what does a safe for a 5 year old town look like? Is everything small with cartoon decor, cabinet latches, outlet covers, are the streets padded with grinded up tires.....I joke. Only joking. Enjoy your stay.

Seriously,
Columbus isn't the Mayberry that it was in 1940-90. However, it is no different than most medium sized Mississippi towns and cities and towns throughout the southeast for that matter. ONce nice city neighborhoods have aged and have seen an increase in crime(all of the US). There has been white flight to the suburbs of New Hope and Caledonia (all of the US). However, everyone comes into town to shop, eat and work etc etc. It is no different than any other Southeast town.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, Id recommend Huck's Place, or Zachary's and Profit's Porch. Harvey's is an option. CJ PIzza is still there.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Stayed there a few weeks ago when I took my friend and our 13 year old boys to the NCState game. Hotel is fine and there are several restaurants nearby. We ate breakfast at the cracker barrel.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Yeah, Id recommend Huck's Place, or Zachary's and Profit's Porch. Harvey's is an option. CJ PIzza is still there.
Huck's place and get the tuna! They bacon wrap and grill it. Everyone raves over their steaks but I haven't eaten one there. I usually get fish when I eat out. Steak is for my grill where it always comes out the way we like it. I will say that The Golden Horn was one of the best places to get a steak. It is out near the airport. Last time we ate there the service was a little slow.

klong-dog

Aug 22, 2012
Taking myself and my son to our first Egg Bowl. Normally stay at the Holiday Inn by Cookout when we are in Starkville but rooms were hard to come by. Settled for Fairfield Inn and Suites in Columbus. I’ve never even driven through that area. How is it?

Born and raised here. Been here for 37 of 41 years of existence. We're not called the mini Memphis for nothing. The town itself the last two decades has failed to keep up with Tupelo and other nicer MS town's, due to it's poor leadership. The mall is terrible, shopping here is well, terrible. Food is ok, I guess. Have plenty of nice Hotels for the limited things Columbus has to offer. Starkville has better food options, imo. While in Columbus , if you're in the mood for good BBQ, specifically rib tips... I recommend Brothers keepers. Get the large rib tip order (only 8 bucks) and plenty enough for 2 people. In a rough area but the people that run it are good older peeps. Great smoked flavor. Glenn's BBQ is also a good option in east Columbus. If you want some good catfish or a decent steak at a reasonable price, look up Lil Porky's in New Hope 10-12 mins away. Of course you have 2 locations of Little Dooeys.

Last edited:

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021

United Deli - Its literally the best sandwich around. Kind of in the wrong part of town though, If you go there, go during daylight hours.

I agree about United Deli. The sammiches are awesome and the owner is a great guy!

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
I was asking because there are cities in our state I wouldn’t even stop at a gas station with my son. Moss Point, Gulfport, Jackson just to name a few.

Dawgology

Sep 15, 2011

United Deli may be one of the best sandwiches in the state honestly

Dog316

Aug 21, 2012

Mexican Kitchen

It has obviously been years since you’ve been to Columbus. The road to Proffitt’s porch is paved; the original Mexican Kitchen closed years ago, and the PeKing has never been a greasy spoon Chinese joint. It has excellent food and is owned and operated by wonderful friends of mine.

Grove Sh*tter

Aug 25, 2014
The road turns to gravel right before you get to the Proffit's.

Taco (the old one armed lady's son) runs the Mexican Kitchen.

I LOVE Peking. no disrespect about the place, it's just dimly lit and has an old diner feel. The egg drop soup is like none other on the planet. It's egg drop soup the way God intended it.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Another vote for United Deli if you want a sandwich or hoagie. Excellent bread and ample meat.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Been a while since I spent time in Columbus, but it had really gone downhill towards the end.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login