Defense recruiting news…

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
This goes directly to the Head Coach's feet. No matter how good of an offensive guru he is, if he cannot get quality defenders to commit and stay committed, he is setting himself and the program up for long-term failure. A recruit can't find a better place to get immediate playing time on defense than at Mississippi State! 11 new guys could start for our defense next year. To be de-committing now, speaks volumes!

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Lebby is thinking ahead and banking on the NCAA to pass the rule being debated for next year. The “Make It Take It” rule is expected to pass after the season at the next rules committee meeting. Essentially if the offense scores a touchdown or a field goal, their same team gets to receive a kickoff and retain possession of the ball again.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Did anyone not expect some decommits? Especially on defense. Would you want to play for Hutzler? My biggest complaint about Lebby so far is he just doesn’t seem to give a sh*t about defense. Starting with his DC hire.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Remain Calm All Is Well GIF

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Did anyone not expect some decommits? Especially on defense. Would you want to play for Hutzler? My biggest complaint about Lebby so far is he just doesn’t seem to give a sh*t about defense. Starting with his DC hire.
This may not even be on the coaches. if we just can’t muster the cash to match other schools and we are sitting around waiting for revenue sharing to get in the game what can the hustler do ?

patdog

May 28, 2007
This may not even be on the coaches. if we just can’t muster the cash to match other schools and we are sitting around waiting for revenue sharing to get in the game what can the hustler do ?
True. We're not going to win many recruiting battles with those schools.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Joe Lee Dunn’s defense allowed a lot of dummy’s to play in the SEC at the highest level, because it didn’t require them to think. That was one thing his niche defense brought for us. Other words we need to find a defense that allows for us to get the athletic dummys no one else wants to pay big money for. Again, when you run a vanilla common scheme, then expect to constantly be outbid by the bigger money schools.

Jul 11, 2024
This goes directly to the Head Coach's feet. No matter how good of an offensive guru he is, if he cannot get quality defenders to commit and stay committed, he is setting himself and the program up for long-term failure. A recruit can't find a better place to get immediate playing time on defense than at Mississippi State! 11 new guys could start for our defense next year. To be de-committing now, speaks volumes!
Yes Lebby evaluated well enough that he got commitments from 2 guys early who flipped to 17ing Alabama and USC.

17 off.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Joe Lee Dunn’s defense allowed a lot of dummy’s to play in the SEC at the highest level, because it didn’t require them to think. That was one thing his niche defense brought for us. Other words we need to find a defense that allows for us to get the athletic dummys no one else wants to pay big money for. Again, when you run a vanilla common scheme, then expect to constantly be outbid by the bigger money schools.
Pig Prather would be a good example. Quit Bengals training camp. Couldn’t learn the concepts and plays of an NFL defense. Came back to play for the Tupelo Fire Ants for a little while. Joe Lee knew his limitations and didn’t ask him to think. Found a scheme and a way to get many athletic tough players on the field that wouldn’t have cognitively made it in a more complex scheme most other places. Other words in todays era, the Georgias and the Ohio States wouldn’t have come trying to buy half the players we had on defense back then even though we were good. Our scheme was too different and allowed us to employ some athletes others couldn’t or wouldn’t. Same idea with your Sleepy Robinsons and Chris Relfs ect. If you run different schemes that might just require two things, less NIL spent and this spread out, and less worry about big money schools swooping in.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
MSU really needs to stop promoting players that just committed and just mention ones that signed so we don't have announcements like this in the future..
This is my thought too, I don't want to even hear a name of a player until the week that they start. Then they will become a superstar and taken by another team at the end of the season or will suck and leave because they don't get playing time and the cycle starts all over again..........such is NCAA football today.
Yes Lebby evaluated well enough that he got commitments from 2 guys early who flipped to 17ing Alabama and USC.

17 off.
Well you can go shopping for a Bentley and get a salesman to talk to you but if your credit sucks it won't do you any good

Reactions: patdog and 85Bears

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
This is way more important than your original post in this thread.

Its actually a testament to Lebby and Hutzler they evaluated well enough to get those guys early.
You get a trophy now for losing commits to other schools ? Super

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I wonder how much help USC got from Woody in getting that GA kid to flip? Both from GA.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I feel the same when we get commitments. Nothing matters until signing day. And even then, signing a player is only good for one year.
Given that we have unrestricted free agency, I can't get too wrapped around the axle about these kinds of things. Honestly, headlines about personnel changes couldn't be less important now. All that matters is can your coach manage the landscape. That will show up in the W/L column. I can't imagine how sites and publications built on keeping up with recruiting news will survive, but perhaps I'm in the minority of seeing this as a reason for me to care even less about recruiting cycles.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login