Copa America 2024 thread

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
My son-in-law, who is Peruvian, is going to the Peru-Chile contest in Dallas with his sister. Peru and Chile are big time rivals. His sister works for Telemundo and secured tickets to the match.

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021

Wait, what? The Team has to take it to the Bolivians? Did Tgar hear that right? Amazing, mindset change. Let’s see if they can get past their safe space, everyone gets a trophy and wears the coolest uniform with travel bag style of play.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Wait, what? The Team has to take it to the Bolivians? Did Tgar hear that right? Amazing, mindset change. Let’s see if they can get past their safe space, everyone gets a trophy and wears the coolest uniform with travel bag style of play.
Yes the US can dictate the game a bit more against the 85th ranked team in the world versus the 12th ranked or 4th ranked team in the world. I guess that is earth shattering? The style of play may vary depending on who you are playing.....what??????? Mind is blown. These pundits with such "hot takes".

Last edited:

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
My take on the top two from each group. It will be an all South American final I imagine....Argentina, Uruguay, and Brazil will battle for the hardware.

Group A
Argentina
Chile

Group B
Ecuador
Mexico (not too confident there as El Tri has El Sucked the last 2-3 years)

Group C
Uruguay
USA

Group D
Brazil
Colombia

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
My take on the top two from each group. It will be an all South American final I imagine....Argentina, Uruguay, and Brazil will battle for the hardware.

Group A
Argentina
Chile

Group B
Ecuador
Mexico (not too confident there as El Tri has El Sucked the last 2-3 years)

Group C
Uruguay
USA

Group D
Brazil
Colombia
Reasonable. The July 1 Match against Uruguay will give us a lot of information regarding the US team.

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Oh Canada, can they keep up the pace in the second half?

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021

If they call us the “ golden generation”. Tgar wants to vomit. How about switching out “ golden” with “ pampered”?

Both teams in Atlanta last night were running like horses. Thats how you win any tournament at the international level. ( see France 2022 or Croatia 2018 ) Take advantage of a little luck and run like hell from start to finish. Let’s see if we have horses or continue to try to force the “ finesse” game. There are only a couple of teams that have the kind of talent needed To play the finesse game.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
If they call us the “ golden generation”. Tgar wants to vomit. How about switching out “ golden” with “ pampered”?

Both teams in Atlanta last night were running like horses. Thats how you win any tournament at the international level. ( see France 2022 or Croatia 2018 ) Take advantage of a little luck and run like hell from start to finish. Let’s see if we have horses or continue to try to force the “ finesse” game. There are only a couple of teams that have the kind of talent needed To play the finesse game.
Yeah....here is the thing. Argentina, France, and Croatia do not belong in any comparison to US Soccer in any way at all. Not only does Argentina have way better skill all over that roster and on their bench, they also are way more physical. France's 2nd team not selected for the Euros on paper could beat any CONCACAF team including the US from a talent standpoint. People can say this is the most talented US team and it probably is, but their best CB is 38. Our best midfielders are still young nut none are Kante or Luca Modric.....not even in the same universe....it's like comparing apples to shoes.

The US isn't winning this COPA. That Argentine side slept walk for a half and while Canada played well they were outclassed in the end. The US is much closer to Cananda then they are Argentina. If the US can get out of their group and maybe pick off a game after that it will be a success. You can put Pep, Jurgen, or anyone you want on that sideline and the US isn't lifting that CUP. We have Pulisic...Brazil has Vini junior.....anyone notice a slight difference there? Hell Argentina put on Lautaro Martinez off the bench who doubled Pulisics goal tally this year at Pulisic's rival club Inter.

You can run like horses all day, but when you're tiny horse running against big ones....you're still going to lose in the end. The US has made some progress in recent years, but this Golden Age or idea that we are some International power squad are just US pundits building up this team. I'm not sure I get the frustration...well I do as I want them to win, but I also know the US media hype is a bunch of BS. We are still a few steps behind the big boys.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaytonRickster

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Yeah....here is the thing. Argentina, France, and Croatia do not belong in any comparison to US Soccer in any way at all. Not only does Argentina have way better skill all over that roster and on their bench, they also are way more physical. France's 2nd team not selected for the Euros on paper could beat any CONCACAF team including the US from a talent standpoint. People can say this is the most talented US team and it probably is, but their best CB is 38. Our best midfielders are still young nut none are Kante or Luca Modric.....not even in the same universe....it's like comparing apples to shoes.

The US isn't winning this COPA. That Argentine side slept walk for a half and while Canada played well they were outclassed in the end. The US is much closer to Cananda then they are Argentina. If the US can get out of their group and maybe pick off a game after that it will be a success. You can put Pep, Jurgen, or anyone you want on that sideline and the US isn't lifting that CUP. We have Pulisic...Brazil has Vini junior.....anyone notice a slight difference there? Hell Argentina put on Lautaro Martinez off the bench who doubled Pulisics goal tally this year at Pulisic's rival club Inter.

You can run like horses all day, but when you're tiny horse running against big ones....you're still going to lose in the end. The US has made some progress in recent years, but this Golden Age or idea that we are some International power squad are just US pundits building up this team. I'm not sure I get the frustration...well I do as I want them to win, but I also know the US media hype is a bunch of BS. We are still a few steps behind the big boys.
That was my point.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021

As long as Michigan and OSU don’t win I am ok!!

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
The correct call. Weah was offsides. Balogun wasn't offsides when Weah centered the ball to him (and Balogun scored).

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
USA missed several excellent opportunities. The below one was probably the most egregious.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Interested to see if we run back the same Starting 11 on Thursday. Richards was poor I thought with way too many giveaways, but I’d send him out again. Could see Haji up top (don’t see Pepi getting the start after today’s performance), but I’d run it back with Balogun.

Highlight of the game for me was the Lalas costume…guy even had the 94 denim blue jersey. Simply fantastic.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Interested to see if we run back the same Starting 11 on Thursday. Richards was poor I thought with way too many giveaways, but I’d send him out again. Could see Haji up top (don’t see Pepi getting the start after today’s performance), but I’d run it back with Balogun.

Highlight of the game for me was the Lalas costume…guy even had the 94 denim blue jersey. Simply fantastic.
Agree. Richards will be fine, but you could toss out Vickers there as well. Reyna was defending well and distributing really well yesterday. Great to see that level of effort there. Robinson is a stud at LB as he does it in the EPL as well. I feel for Pepi, but you have Wright and Sargent nipping at your heels you need to put at least one of those away. Both Wright and Sargent are coming off of career years.

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
PepI will be fine and should see no fewer minutes. The goals will come, this is not a new situation. He brings a fresh speed that gives opponents fits as the game goes on.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

Latest posts