Copa America 2024 thread

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I believe they've scored 1 goal, but they advance

Yep they had the one man advantage for 60+ minutes and couldn't score, but advance. US is going home though so CONCACAF is looking like the weak group of teams that it is.

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

Last edited:

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Yep they had the one man advantage for 60+ minutes and couldn't score, but advance. US is going home though so CONCACAF is looking like the weak group of teams that it is.

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem
Marsh would look good leading the American side. Gallardo even better. There were choices and yet, the brain trust decided to have dry white toast with their scrambled eggs.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Marsh would look good leading the American side. Gallardo even better. There were choices and yet, the brain trust decided to have dry white toast with their scrambled eggs.
Marsh too would have had calls for his head in a few years because a portion US fans are clueless for the most part. They think the "best" generation of US soccer is some world force out there that simply just lack a good HC. I mean Lalas and the other idiots play this team up for months leading up to the tournament and then meltdown when things go south.

It's a team of role players in a weak region. If GB somehow does pull off the upset tomorrow, those same pundits calling for his head will let that 2mph breeze change their direction again. Bottom line is a player had a melt down at a bad time and cost the team. I saw people asking why they went defensive in a group match where a draw puts you in a decent spot to advance....like somehow that is some odd move in that position. I honestly wonder how may played or really follow the sport when they make comments like Gio needed to stay on a man down. I have seen countless great coaches pull an attacker a man down when a draw is the result they desire, some US fans think it's time to attack. It's just odd. You can do that, but if you go on the attack or make no defensive changes and lose....you would get grilled even worse. It was a group stage match where you were already sitting on 3 points, not a knockout match.

Either way I see them losing tomorrow, GB will be fired, and the next HC isn't doing much more than GB. Win the Gold Cup, qualify for the WC, and maybe get out of the group stage.

On a brighter note, heading back to the sphere next weekend for D&C.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tgar

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Al Bundy: “I only watch sports where something happens!”
I realize that soccer is probably the most popular sport worldwide and that I’m an old curmudgeon but this reminds me of the lunch conversations I had a few years back with one of my partners. He was raving about the show he watched the night before which showed the 10 greatest goals in World Cup history. I couldn’t resist and asked him it was the only 10 goals in World Cup history.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I realize that soccer is probably the most popular sport worldwide and that I’m an old curmudgeon but this reminds me of the lunch conversations I had a few years back with one of my partners. He was raving about the show he watched the night before which showed the 10 greatest goals in World Cup history. I couldn’t resist and asked him it was the only 10 goals in World Cup history.
The fact you said "probably" is the funniest thing in this thread.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
The best afternoon naps are during soccer and NASCAR!

Reactions: Manofsteel200

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
The best afternoon naps are during soccer and NASCAR!
Baseball and golf, at least the 2 sports you mention are in constant motion. Nothing better than a masters nap....and it's always odd how people not a fan of a sport jump into these threads just to be Richards. I mean there are Phillies/Eagles threads or other topics and I never once thought...hey let's go crap on those folks since I don't like them. It's an odd behavior, but you do golf with test board folks...so there is that.

Last edited:

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I DVR all sorts of historical stuff because I know, no matter interested I may be in a particular subject, it’s a guaranteed nap.
Some really good stuff on Youtube for sure to fall asleep to for sure. Some podcasts as well I'll just put on and drift off, but golf and baseball are for sure good afternoon napping sports. They talk low and whisper to you like Bob Ross as it's just that exciting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Connorpozlee

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Marsh too would have had calls for his head in a few years because a portion US fans are clueless for the most part. They think the "best" generation of US soccer is some world force out there that simply just lack a good HC. I mean Lalas and the other idiots play this team up for months leading up to the tournament and then meltdown when things go south.

It's a team of role players in a weak region. If GB somehow does pull off the upset tomorrow, those same pundits calling for his head will let that 2mph breeze change their direction again. Bottom line is a player had a melt down at a bad time and cost the team. I saw people asking why they went defensive in a group match where a draw puts you in a decent spot to advance....like somehow that is some odd move in that position. I honestly wonder how may played or really follow the sport when they make comments like Gio needed to stay on a man down. I have seen countless great coaches pull an attacker a man down when a draw is the result they desire, some US fans think it's time to attack. It's just odd. You can do that, but if you go on the attack or make no defensive changes and lose....you would get grilled even worse. It was a group stage match where you were already sitting on 3 points, not a knockout match.

Either way I see them losing tomorrow, GB will be fired, and the next HC isn't doing much more than GB. Win the Gold Cup, qualify for the WC, and maybe get out of the group stage.

On a brighter note, heading back to the sphere next weekend for D&C.
My concern with GB is he doesn’t have the stones to challenge these guys who can put up more than they have. He is a finesse guy, the nerd doodling on a napkin then looking at you and saying “ do you see? “.

The team is a bunch of Prima Donna’s for the most part who look and play like brats from travel team When they are together. Canada while less talented, run like horses.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
Baseball and golf, at least the 2 sports you mention are in constant motion. Nothing better than a masters nap....and it's always odd how people not a fan of a sport jump into these threads just to be Richards. I mean there are Phillies/Eagles threads or other topics and I never once thought...hey let's go crap on those folks since I don't like them. It's an odd behavior, but you do golf with test board folks...so there is that.
I nap during baseball and golf too! An underrated nap is when professional bass-fishing or bowling is on the tube!

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Some really good stuff on Youtube for sure to fall asleep to for sure. Some podcasts as well I'll just put on and drift off, but golf and baseball are for sure good afternoon napping sports. They talk low and whisper to you like Bob Ross as it's just that exciting.
Bob Ross!!! Another great napping option! And unlike falling asleep to an English narrator detailing the brutality of Adolph Hitler’s reign, a guarantee to wake up happier than when you fell asleep!

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Gonna be an interesting night tomorrow...our implied odds of advancing are right around 45%. Tonight, Mexico's odds of advancing are implied at around 34%.

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
We better come out and play like our freaking hair is on fire tomorrow night. A great effort will be required and quite frankly after the Panama match anything less and Berhalter should go along with Weah.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
They had no problem putting Reyna aside for the WC. Why should Weah be any different?
Reyna wasn't training properly for a World Cup and was so bad that players/staff noticed so they decided to address it. Weah from all accounts is a great guy on and off the pitch, but blew his cool for 2 seconds. If you are loafing at the WC because you didn't get your way, you're not mature enough to be there and the staff and players were right to call him out IMO. Reyna's parents then made it into a **** show, that wasn't on GB although he could have handled it better for sure.

Some really great players all time have blown their heads and gotten reds around the world in international play. Zidane, Beckham, Chompers Suarez who we may see tonight. There is nothing you can do to Weah that will be worse to him than this team going home early as he will have to carry that for a long time. GB will be fired and people will point to that red as the biggest reason why they didn't get out of the group.

As @Erial_Lion lion stated Weah will be on that roster for the foreseeable future regardless of the HC. If the US loses tonight or doesn't get out of the group they will probably move on to a new HC. It won't change the ceiling for this current team (criminally overrated team) very much, but they'll make a move IMO.

Alphabets

Oct 12, 2021
Mexico doesn't make it out of the group and unlikely that the USA does either. Surprisingly, Canada into the next round.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Interestingly, USA is a favorite in this game tonight according to Vegas.
USA has more to play for, I guess. Plus they’ll be at full strength. Uruguay is +7, USA +1 on GD. I’m not sure if Uruguay winning would have an impact on who they play next. Any clarification here?

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
USA has more to play for, I guess. Plus they’ll be at full strength. Uruguay is +7, USA +1 on GD. I’m not sure if Uruguay winning would have an impact on who they play next. Any clarification here?
As long as Uruguay loses by 2 or fewer goals, then they'd almost certainly still win the group (so it would have no impact).

Reactions: LionJim

Latest posts