Cord Cutters - Hulu Live

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009
Any one done this yet? Pulling the plug on Dish today. $125 per month for my Dish.

Hulu Live comes with all the ESPN networks including SEC, plus Fox Sports SE and Fox Sports South. All network news is on line too. Looks like ABC, NBC and CBS are still on demand so I'll miss out on the CBS football, but Fox is a live channel.

Kids get all Disney channels.

This is $40 per month and you can watch on 2 screens. Extra $15 would get you unlimited screens.

I know this was all discussed 2 weeks ago but I don't think Hulu Live was mentioned.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I cut the cord this past weekend with PlayStation Vue and am pretty happy. I get every channel I want/need. I get DVR. I save $100 per month on my bill.

Vue gets you 5 viewings at once. The package I get is $35 per month. I haven't dug into the details of this yet but CBS does appear to NOT have a local channel available. ABC, FOX, and NBC are all there, however.

The only complaint I have is the clunkiness of the guide navigation. It's not easy to move around the channel guide.

I'm using Apple TV on 2 TVs and Roku on 3 other TVs. Roku is similar to my experience with Vue in regards to the navigation clunkiness.

Well worth it though.

Last edited:

pmack65

Sep 7, 2013
I cut the cord several weeks ago, have the Roku stick and hulu w/o commercials which I recommend spending the extra 4. on. Also have Play station vue and as previously stated navigating is not user friendly plus no real guide to follow. Currently can't get Hulu live as its not applicable on the stick along with other devices. I'm saving approximately 90. a month now. If the Vue ever fixed their guide and dvr navigation it would be really good. FYI, I also had free trials with Sling and Directtvnow. Sling has a decent guide and DVR but you can't record all the stations. Direct has no dvr at all, less channels but a good guide. Hope this helps

Big Sheep81

Feb 24, 2008
I'm ready to drop Direct TV and go with Sling TV. But, how can you record stuff like games and such?

pmack65

Sep 7, 2013
I have fiber one through cspire, 75. a month. Regarding sling you can't record any espn channel with sling, additionally there are a couple other channels also that can't be recorded

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009
Comcast for internet

Its like $60 a month, Supposedly speeds of 25mbps. It worked fine for a few hours last night.

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009
My only complaint so far is the guide too

I think its just different. Theres no surfing channels while watching something. If you're used to a guide llike Dish or Comcast it takes some time to adjust. Its still in Beta mode so I would expect it to get better. I can get over it though by savings $80 a month.

The Hulu Live package comes with 50 hours of DVR space. You can bump it up to 200 hours for $15 a month.

But it almost seems like you wouldn't need a DVR with Hulu unless you like to DVR live sports. You still get the benefits of the original hulu in that you that you can dial up the most recent shows like SNL, Modern Family, Super Store...So you don't really need to record those shows.

Big Sheep81

Feb 24, 2008
Just checked it out. Looks like a better deal. I have Roku which is says I can use. Is there any way to keep a recording longer than 28 days? Can I hook up a device to keep a permanent copy?

ChatGPT

Apr 24, 2006
Whenever Vue gets their guide and DVR straightened out, or if DTV Now does as well.... then I'm out as well. You can pay upfront for a tablo and it can record OTA. Plus the tablo app lets you watch live and recorded OTA on any tv you have something like a roku hooked up to.

Of note... there is an ATT unlimited wireless plan now that knocks $25 bucks off a Uverse, DTV, or DTVNow subscription AND gives you free HBO... so no paying extra for HBO now.

My set up will be:

Roku TV & Rokus hooked up to the other TVs (as many wired as possible) running the following apps...

Tablo for OTA live and DVR - upfront costs only
DTVNow hopefully for "cable channels" live and DVR (please get it together DTVNow! - $25/month for Just right after a $25 discount because of my phone plan
Netflix - $12 bucks a month
Amazon Video - $99 annually...$8.25/mo
HBO Go (free with my phone plan)

My 1gbps internet is locked at $80/month through Uverse...

So my monthly cost would be $125.25. About $100 bucks less a month than what I pay for all that I have now. That's a chunk toward a good vacation or a Roth. Uverse TV is great but damn it's overpriced.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Just checked it out. Looks like a better deal. I have Roku which is says I can use. Is there any way to keep a recording longer than 28 days? Can I hook up a device to keep a permanent copy?

You cannot keep the recordings over 28 days, but you can burn them to DVD. They won't be in HD, but you can have permanent copy of your program. I burned a few football games to DVD last season. For TV shows, I figure if I haven't watched within the 28 day window, then I probably won't ever watch it, or I can just catch it whenever it gets picked up by a streaming service.

I really like Playstation Vue, but the app for Amazon TV is much better than the Roku app. With the Roku app you do not get a channel guide to see what's coming on and when, and it can sometimes be hard to locate your recorded programs. With the Amazon app, OTOH, I do have some problems with watching games on a slightly delayed basis....the ff feature doesn't quite work right.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Do all you people and 99% of this board live inside the city limits? It's one of the only reasons I don't like living in BFE. I'd drop my service in a heartbeat, but my one and only Internet choice (ATT), only offers its shittiest packages. I can stream Netflix/HBONow on one device at a time. Friend brought his Fire Stick over and it ran faster on his phones hotspot than over my wifi. Y'all can go to hell.

bulldog2488

Apr 12, 2015
I second this question. I currently have Sling TV and I'm happy with the service. Why should I switch to PlayStation Vue. What's better?

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
I really appreciate all you cord cutters putting the pressure on the satellite companies. Dish is now offering really good discounts if you have been a customer for at least 2 years. I have the top 200 package locked in at $69.99/mo for two years. I have 4 TVs, 200 hours of DVR, live local channels, live, everything, all HD, etc. without having to worry about all these run arounds and clunky things all in price is $90/mo for two years with all fees/taxes/etc. Plus I have fiber internet at 50 mbps for $40/mo for 2 years. Maybe I'll cut the cord in 2 years after you've all helped them work out these last few kinks.

pmack65

Sep 7, 2013
With Vue you can record as much as you want compared to Sling I believe it has a limit of 50 hours. You can watch Vue on multiple devices with sling you have to buy the orange and blue to be allowed to watch up to 4 devices at the same time. Price wise their compatible approximately 45 per month. On sling recording has limits , none of the ESPNs can be recorded as well as a few other stations, there are no limits with VUE. That was one of the reason I didn't switch to Sling went to record one of the World Series games and since it was on ESPN I couldn't. One other thing to get the SEC network with Sling you have to buy their sports add on package, with VUE its all inclusive. I haven't had this problem but some have had loading problems with Sling I don't have any with Vue. Sling does have an easier way to record and a little better guide, although neither one is great. Neither is that user friendly. There isn't much difference at the moment, a lot as to do with the individuals preference. I believe as soon as Hulu incorporates more devices into it's live TV I probably won't have vue anymore if they carry the stations I have with Vue.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login