Cormac McCarthy passes...

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
"He was known for his graphic depictions of violence and his unique writing style, recognizable by a sparse use of punctuation and attribution. Mr. McCarthy’s fiction took a dark view of the human condition and was often macabre. He decorated his novels with scalpings, beheadings, arson, rape, incest, necrophilia and cannibalism."

Reactions: dogmatic001

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Sad news, but he was closing in on 90. I feel like anyone who gets to spend that long on earth should be celebrated. And, he should be celebrated.

I liked The Road and No Country more than All The Pretty Horses. Never read Passengers or Blood Meridian.

was21

May 29, 2007
I'm literally 79% of the way through Blood Meridian at the moment. Glanton just got split open by the Yumas.
Just for info, Tommy Lee Jones has the film rights to Blood Meridian....bought it fairly cheap. Now waiting for these literary experts on this forum to ask who he is.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
If I were going to pick one book to decide if I like his style, what is it?
His style changed a lot. There was the southern stuff (The Orchard Keeper, Outer Dark, Child of God, Suttree, probably put Stonemason here too), then he moved on and wrote Blood Meridian as his first Western. It’s probably his greatest. All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, Cities of the Plain followed and are good and more readable than Blood Meridian. No Country for Old Men is very different and more of a thriller for most of it. The Road is its own thing. Sunset Limited is its own thing. Passenger and Stella Maris as well.

Depends on what you’re into, but The Road, All the Pretty Horses, and Child of God are all worth reading, even if you hate 2 out of 3. If you like Child of God and All the Pretty Horses, Blood Meridian would be a good one.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
His style changed a lot. There was the southern stuff (The Orchard Keeper, Outer Dark, Child of God, Suttree, probably put Stonemason here too), then he moved on and wrote Blood Meridian as his first Western. It’s probably his greatest. All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, Cities of the Plain followed and are good and more readable than Blood Meridian. No Country for Old Men is very different and more of a thriller for most of it. The Road is its own thing. Sunset Limited is its own thing. Passenger and Stella Maris as well.

Depends on what you’re into, but The Road, All the Pretty Horses, and Child of God are all worth reading, even if you hate 2 out of 3. If you like Child of God and All the Pretty Horses, Blood Meridian would be a good one.
Thanks. I've heard of some of those titles, albeit as movies.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login