Count me as OFF the Leach beach

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
He doesn't derserve to be fired until he has a losing season, but he's clearly showing he's not a good play caller or a good game manager. He doesn't even work the refs like an SEC head coach should be doing.

24 straight pass plays? I knew it was a ton in a row, but didn't know it was that many.

He's not fit to be a HC in the SEC if he's not going to adapt. You can't run the ball in his offense when you need yards and the defense is expecting you to run, which you have to do in this league to compete at the top.

Pathetic play calling and game management from last Q2 and onwards Saturday night.

Our team doesn't give up and they are tough, so he hasn't lost the team, but changes must be made.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
He doesn't derserve to be fired until he has a losing season, but he's clearly showing he's not a good play caller or a good game manager. He doesn't even work the refs like an SEC head coach should be doing.

24 straight pass plays? I knew it was a ton in a row, but didn't know it was that many.

He's not fit to be a HC in the SEC if he's not going to adapt. You can't run the ball in his offense when you need yards and the defense is expecting you to run, which you have to do in this league to compete at the top.

Pathetic play calling and game management from last Q2 and onwards Saturday night.

Our team doesn't give up and they are tough, so he hasn't lost the team, but changes must be made.
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
About 1/2 way through the 2nd quarter until 1/2 through the 4th quarter, I don't think it mattered what play he called. The offense was not executing the plays. I think the Defense played the best they have all year. They were put on the field a bunch and many times in a bad position.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Is the coaches job to put players in position. SEC defensive ends teeing off 24x in a row is going to lead to problems. That is piss poor coaching. It's like a kid grabbed the controls of NCAA football on Playstation and kept running same play over and over.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Mullen could have coached at State until the day he died. The point was obviously that Leach is doing better than Mullen at this point and most people had little problem with Mullen sticking around.
The real constant here is that people who didn't like the Leach hire are going to continue to not like it. If he won a natty next year those guys would probably sulk a little and just wait until the first struggle of the next season to call for his head.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
And he's no longer coaching in the sec.
Hahaha nice straw man argument. I’m sure you are one of the posters who have been crowing for Mullen to return. He only had a winning SEC record one time in nine years. 33-39 SEC record. And he’s probably our best coach ever. Leach is not doing a bad job despite what some of y’all keep yelling. No worse than Mullen to this point. The only difference is Mullen had the good fortune to play some horrendous Houston Nutt coached Ole Miss teams his first few years so he racked up some good will with Egg Bowl wins early in his tenure. Leach has not been that fortunate.

Last edited:

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
Mullen could have coached at State until the day he died. The point was obviously that Leach is doing better than Mullen at this point and most people had little problem with Mullen sticking around.
Some of our fans just do not like Leach’s offense. They wanted someone who ran a run first spread like Mullen, instead they got Leach and the air raid. Now they call for Leach’s firing every time his offense stalls.
They have limited memory and do not want to talk about the times Mullen’s offense sputtered.
Leach throws the ball, doesn’t troll Ole Miss, or turn red faced yelling at the refs so they decided no matter what they aren’t going to like him.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Hahaha nice straw man argument. I’m sure you are one of the posters who have been crowing for Mullen to return. He only had a winning SEC record one time in nine years. 33-39 SEC record. And he’s probably our best coach ever. Leach is not doing a bad job despite what some of y’all keep yelling. No worse than Mullen to this point. The only difference is Mullen has the good fortune to play some horrendous Houston Nutt coached Ole Miss teams his first few years so he racked up some good will with Egg Bowl wins early in his tenure. Leach has not been that fortunate.
Bingo

mullen record against Ole Miss when they have 8 wins is 0-2, when they have five 3-4

but that was great

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
About 1/2 way through the 2nd quarter until 1/2 through the 4th quarter, I don't think it mattered what play he called. The offense was not executing the plays. I think the Defense played the best they have all year. They were put on the field a bunch and many times in a bad position.
This. The plays were there. Receivers were open. Will couldn't figure out how to get them the ball effectively. Because in most cases, he was frozen.

If we would have lost that game it would not have been on leach or the defense. It was offense --- really offensive offensive execution.

While I think Leach might be obsessed with their fat little girlfriends, he is absolutely right: They got up by what looked to be big, they had the game under control, and so they decided to check out. And that is on the the field general, Will Rogers. Not Leach.

Reactions: Grover777

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Hahaha nice straw man argument. I’m sure you are one of the posters who have been crowing for Mullen to return. He only had a winning SEC record one time in nine years. 33-39 SEC record. And he’s probably our best coach ever. Leach is not doing a bad job despite what some of y’all keep yelling. No worse than Mullen to this point. The only difference is Mullen has the good fortune to play some horrendous Houston Nutt coached Ole Miss teams his first few years so he racked up some good will with Egg Bowl wins early in his tenure. Leach has not been that fortunate.
and he "never" lost to that team again***

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
This. The plays were there. Receivers were open. Will couldn't figure out how to get them the ball effectively. Because in most cases, he was frozen.

If we would have lost that game it would not have been on leach or the defense. It was offense --- really offensive offensive execution.

While I think Leach might be obsessed with their fat little girlfriends, he is absolutely right: They got up by what looked to be big, they had the game under control, and so they decided to check out. And that is on the the field general, Will Rogers. Not Leach.
Will freezes up,a lot, bad combo when you are immobile and don’t have a strong arm

leach needs to hit the portal and get a grad transfer like grander Minshew

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
I agree. A reasonable person might ask if Leach should be held to the same standards that Mullen was held to. Is it easier to win at MSU now than it was then? Harder to win? The same? Mullen got credit for taking a program that was historically bad to mediocre and making it consistently mediocre to occasionally good. I think that credit was deserved. But while Leach may not have had to turn around a program to the extent that Mullen did, I would say that it's still a hard place to win. We will consistently compete with teams in our conference that are more talented and that have more money to throw around on coaching and NIL deals. To go 4-4 in this conference is no small feat.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022

Will freezes up a lot. Bad combo with no mobility and a weak arm. Leach needs to hit the portal and get a grad transfer like Gardner minshew

patdog

May 28, 2007
I agree. A reasonable person might ask if Leach should be held to the same standards that Mullen was held to. Is it easier to win at MSU now than it was then? Harder to win? The same? Mullen got credit for taking a program that was historically bad to mediocre and making it consistently mediocre to occasionally good. I think that credit was deserved. But while Leach may not have had to turn around a program to the extent that Mullen did, I would say that it's still a hard place to win. We will consistently compete with teams in our conference that are more talented and that have more money to throw around on coaching and NIL deals. To go 4-4 in this conference is no small feat.
It's a lot easier to win at MSU now. Partly because Mullen elevated the program, but mostly because the SEC West isn't nearly as good as it was for most of Mullen's years.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
#2 SOS in the country isn’t a lot easier to win . I’d like to see what years historically our schedule was harder than this.

we still have #1 Georgia and #11 Ole Miss on the road

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
It's a lot easier to win at MSU now. Partly because Mullen elevated the program, but mostly because the SEC West isn't nearly as good as it was for most of Mullen's years.
The SEC West isn’t nearly as good now? That’s absolute nonsense. In this week’s AP poll, there are three SEC West teams ranked in the top 11 in the nation. We play all three of them on the road.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Some of our fans just do not like Leach’s offense. They wanted someone who ran a run first spread like Mullen, instead they got Leach and the air raid. Now they call for Leach’s firing every time his offense stalls.
They have limited memory and do not want to talk about the times Mullen’s offense sputtered.
Leach throws the ball, doesn’t troll Ole Miss, or turn red faced yelling at the refs so they decided no matter what they aren’t going to like him.
Holloway up the middle.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The real constant here is that people who didn't like the Leach hire are going to continue to not like it. If he won a natty next year those guys would probably sulk a little and just wait until the first struggle of the next season to call for his head.
We had fans wanting a new baseball coach less than a season from our schools only natty.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The SEC West isn’t nearly as good now? That’s absolute nonsense. In this week’s AP poll, there are three SEC West teams ranked in the top 11 in the nation. We play all three of them on the road.
Get back to me on those rankings at the end of the season. And go compare the number of top 10 and top 5 teams Mullen faced vs. the number Leach has faced.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
yes, really exciting stuff. I don’t understand how or why people rewrite history. It wasn’t that long ago.
And I loved me some Holloway! Mullen misused that dude so much I was hoping just once, maybe after the 10th time in a game that play didn't work at all, that Holloway would walk off the field, rip off Dan's headset and throw his playbook down!

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Hahaha nice straw man argument. I’m sure you are one of the posters who have been crowing for Mullen to return. He only had a winning SEC record one time in nine years. 33-39 SEC record. And he’s probably our best coach ever. Leach is not doing a bad job despite what some of y’all keep yelling. No worse than Mullen to this point. The only difference is Mullen had the good fortune to play some horrendous Houston Nutt coached Ole Miss teams his first few years so he racked up some good will with Egg Bowl wins early in his tenure. Leach has not been that fortunate.
The problem with leach has been winning more of the OC games you should win. He's done better at this year. Only game I'm mad we dropped this year was Kentucky. That's gonna be the thing that keeps him from having those better 8-9 win seasons. You have that veteran team you got to take care of business in those games. If you don't your plateau will be 6-7 wins instead of the 8-10. It's still there but you gonna have either beat uga or a good um team on the road. I said good not great. Losing to Kentucky in the way we did when you should have gone in and at least competed is what is keeping this team from being a good to great team rather than be good to mediocre. You expect your veteran qb years to be the higher 8-9 win years. Instead of your 6-7 win years like last year.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
This is Leachs second full year, does he get the same chance to build Dan did ? Why not he’s actually doing better than Dan , and has a proven track record

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

I’d say that Leach can stay at State as long as he likes UNLESS the bowl streak ends under him.

Like it or not, we need significant stability after the Morehead disaster. And yes, it’s ridiculous to compare Morehead’s record to Leach’s. Morehead’s first team should’ve sleptwalk to 9 wins with that defense. Hell, most high school coaches could have had a better offense by not throwing a single down than the **** he trotted out there.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Get back to me on those rankings at the end of the season. And go compare the number of top 10 and top 5 teams Mullen faced vs. the number Leach has faced.
I did what you asked. Mullen played 18 top 10 teams in his nine years at State, an average of two a year. After this week, Leach will have played six top 10 teams in three years, an average of two a year. Anything else you want me to look up for you?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Whew, good thing we don't have to worry about that happening. I'll settle for an egg bowl win though.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I did what you asked. Mullen played 18 top 10 teams in his nine years at State, an average of two a year. After this week, Leach will have played six top 10 teams in three years, an average of two a year. Anything else you want me to look up for you?
5 top 10 teams, not 6. And only 2 top 5 teams vs the 12 Mullen faced (you conveniently left that one out).

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Whew, good thing we don't have to worry about that happening. I'll settle for an egg bowl win though.
It's just interesting, Leach's MSU resume to this point is objectively better than Mullen's was but we loved Mullen and hate Leach. It's a puzzle. I don't love or hate Leach, but I can see that he's doing pretty well from an MSU historical perspective. Sure, I wish our history was better, but it isn't. Perhaps if we had won some Mahatma Rice poll pre-integration we could be as storied of a program as Ole Miss...

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
5 top 10 teams, not 6. And only 2 top 5 teams vs the 12 Mullen faced (you conveniently left that one out).
2020 we faced #6 LSU and #2 Alabama
2021 we faced #5 Alabama and #9 Ole Miss
2022 we faced #6 Alabama and will face #1 Georgia
That’s six. And it might be seven if OM upsets Alabama and they get in the top 10.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
And Leach is one shy of beating ranked teams compared to Mullen in only 2 1/2 years. Visiting this site is like "Husband's of Mississippi State"! I want it and I want it now or else!!!! I think Ole Miss success has blown the minds of some of our fans to the point that any coach would be looked down on unless they win the NC.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
I just wish Mullen turned red face yelling at the refs when ole miss intentionally broke Fitz’s ankle.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Hahaha nice straw man argument. I’m sure you are one of the posters who have been crowing for Mullen to return. He only had a winning SEC record one time in nine years.
No way I would want him back. He wanted out for years but just couldn't find anything 'better' until FL and TN came calling.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It's just interesting, Leach's MSU resume to this point is objectively better than Mullen's was but we loved Mullen and hate Leach. It's a puzzle. I don't love or hate Leach, but I can see that he's doing pretty well from an MSU historical perspective. Sure, I wish our history was better, but it isn't. Perhaps if we had won some Mahatma Rice poll pre-integration we could be as storied of a program as Ole Miss...
It's because under Mullen, we looked competent. And under Mullen, we were elevated from an annual loser to bowl eligible. Now that we've played 12 game schedules for a decade and SEC money has gone stratospheric, the expectations have changed. So, it's kinda silly to make comparisons to Mullen at this point. If Mullen was here today, giving us what Leach is giving us, there's be a lot of people unhappy with him too, because our expectations are different now. And let's be honest....there was a relatively large portion of the fanbase that was ready to see Mullen move on when he did anyway, so let's not play revisionist history.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It's because under Mullen, we looked competent. And under Mullen, we were elevated from an annual loser to bowl eligible. Now that we've played 12 game schedules for a decade and SEC money has gone stratospheric, the expectations have changed. So, it's kinda silly to make comparisons to Mullen at this point. If Mullen was here today, giving us what Leach is giving us, there's be a lot of people unhappy with him too, because our expectations are different now. And let's be honest....there was a relatively large portion of the fanbase that was ready to see Mullen move on when he did anyway, so let's not play revisionist history.
Point still stands. Leach is tracking better than our best coach in history. What realistic expectations are not being met right now in year 3?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login