Couple negatives

Sep 12, 2013
The DL is average again, and without crumedy, they downright struggle and will struggle to get any pressure on the opposing QB.

I posted this on GP and the snobs didn’t like it, but I’m tired of pretending DJ isn’t a better back than woody. It makes no sense to me that DJ doesn’t start and get the majority of the reps.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I just refuse to read anything into what our defense did in garbage time. Memphis had one first down in the first half. I’ll take that for sure.

Dillon and Woody both have their strengths. I think I agree with you that Dillon is the better pure runner. But Marks is good too and the more explosive of the two. I really view it as a 1A and 1B thing and don’t mind their usage. We generally ride the hot hand anyway. For the record, I liked what I saw from Price as well.

Sep 12, 2013
I just refuse to read anything into what our defense did in garbage time. Memphis had one first down in the first half. I’ll take that for sure.

Dillon and Woody both have their strengths. I think I agree with you that Dillon is the better pure runner. But Marks is good too and the more explosive of the two. I really view it as a 1A and 1B thing and don’t mind their usage. We generally ride the hot hand anyway. For the record, I liked what I saw from Price as well.

I don’t see marks as more explosive at all. DJ is MUCH better had planting his foot and exploding up field.

CoastDawg18

Mar 3, 2008
I also thought we struggled a bit on the DL. Overall defensive performance was pretty good, but I thought we would be playing in their backfield more.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
The pass rush failed to generate a sack. The 2nd half effort was rough to watch. Definitely took our foot off their necks in the 2nd half when I wish we'd stomped.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Good Lord let’s get to Monday before talking about bad ****. We’ve got a team that can do some damage this year, enjoy it while you can.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Overall its a B+ effort.

Positives: 1) Rogers looked more comfortable running the first half. 2) I think we were effective with a few more runs. 3) I see a lot of upside potential with the WR corps. 4) Open-field tackling seems improved

Imporvement areas: 1) We still have serious mental lapses as a team in stretches of the game (3rd quarter). 2) Vunerable to giving up the "big" play 3) Composure (e.g. can't throw punches)

Overall: The lengthy weather delay makes me throw some of the outliers both plus and minus out. I'm pleased with the outcome and have a more encouraged outlook for the season.

Last edited:

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
We still can’t kick touchbacks. Get ready to give up 15-20 extra yards on kick coverage against teams with speed

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The DL is average again, and without crumedy, they downright struggle and will struggle to get any pressure on the opposing QB.

I posted this on GP and the snobs didn’t like it, but I’m tired of pretending DJ isn’t a better back than woody. It makes no sense to me that DJ doesn’t start and get the majority of the reps.

I will hold off on criticizing anything defensively. I'm not happy that we gave up some of the plays we did, and there were some pretty egregious coverage busts. But when this was a ball game, they had one first down and something like 37 total yards at halftime. It was an asskicking fiesta. It feels like we just went super-base and took our foot off the gas in the second half.

Sep 12, 2013
I will hold off on criticizing anything defensively. I'm not happy that we gave up some of the plays we did, and there were some pretty egregious coverage busts. But when this was a ball game, they had one first down and something like 37 total yards at halftime. It was an asskicking fiesta. It feels like we just went super-base and took our foot off the gas in the second half.

That’s all true. I’m not declaring our defense is gonna suck. I think overall, it could be a little bit better than last year.

But it’s disappoint guys like Pickering and charlton and those guys can’t even muster one sack against Memphis. Looked like same story.

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
I can’t believe nobody has discussed how bad Memphis held last night to explain the troubles with the DL. Some of it was vanilla play calling. But that had a huge hand. They had 0 holding penalties called on their line last night I believe. For that bad of a team to have none means a lot of stuff was ignored.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
That’s all true. I’m not declaring our defense is gonna suck. I think overall, it could be a little bit better than last year.

But it’s disappoint guys like Pickering and charlton and those guys can’t even muster one sack against Memphis. Looked like same story.

Well, we didn't run a blitz all night. And they kept their TE and backs in as extra blockers quite a bit. I don't expect guys like Pickering or Charlton getting sacks when they've got six or seven guys blocking our defensive front.

I get what you're saying.....I'll just hold off until we play someone worthy of a bigger defensive effort.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
We still can’t kick touchbacks. Get ready to give up 15-20 extra yards on kick coverage against teams with speed

this was the one thing that got me…can we not find anyone that can kick the ball through the end zone?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
this was the one thing that got me…can we not find anyone that can kick the ball through the end zone?

It kinda looks to me that this is what the coaches want....kicks with lots of hang time that we wanted them to return.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Hard to say we didn't run a blitz all night when there are several times we had a line backer in the back field on a pass play.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

I like DJ better too, but Marks may be as good or better. I’m not 100 percent sure. All I know is I’m glad we have them both.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The qb had happy feet all night and just threw it because of the rush. I don't think he likes getting hit so not many sacks when a qb just gets rid of it to the flats or middle when he is rushed.

I'm sure he heard Jett in his sleep last night.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Well, we didn't run a blitz all night. And they kept their TE and backs in as extra blockers quite a bit. I don't expect guys like Pickering or Charlton getting sacks when they've got six or seven guys blocking our defensive front.

I get what you're saying.....I'll just hold off until we play someone worthy of a bigger defensive effort.

We did run at least one blitz, and it was another Arnett special…..send a guy way too damn late up the middle, blitz doesn’t get there, and it led to a wide open TD in the corner of the end zone. Called that dumb **** when they were inside our 10 yard line too, which made it even worse.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Correct we called blitzes they just didn't get all the way there. Too late trying to disguise it or got bunched up and trapped. Couple times Jett was breathing on qb and he got rid of it.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I thought the crowd sucked. Particularly the home side. #ihateus

Feb 4, 2015
I’m waaay more concerned with us once again taking our foot off the gas. We seem to be notorious for that and honestly what can the coaches do about that? When we play better competition we CANNOT do that!

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Correct we called blitzes they just didn't get all the way there. Too late trying to disguise it or got bunched up and trapped. Couple times Jett was breathing on qb and he got rid of it.

We’ve been leading the nation in blitzes that don’t get all the way there for going on 3 years now.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
The qb had happy feet all night and just threw it because of the rush. I don't think he likes getting hit so not many sacks when a qb just gets rid of it to the flats or middle when he is rushed.

I'm sure he heard Jett in his sleep last night this morning.

fixed… he didn’t get any sleep last night.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login