Court says CFPB is unconstitutionally funded

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

This is a huge deal on the banking side and potentially for the housing market down the road. Especially with Republicans likely taking back control after next month.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Without getting political, can someone explain what the impact of this might be?

Mark Ruffalo

Sep 29, 2022
Me trying to decide who I side with in a dispute between another government bureaucracy and the payday lending industry.

Angry Ron Swanson GIF

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Without getting political, can someone explain what the impact of this might be?
Democrats wanted a federal agency to regulate consumer financial issues outside of the influence of politics. They knew some of the things they were doing would be pulled back as soon as republicans took back control of funding, so they tried to bind future congresses by guaranteeing some minimum level of funding that couldn't be reduced by Congress. This is sort of a continuation of the fight over whether the President could appoint the head of the CFPB. Republicans argued you can't set up an agency that's not accountable to the president at all, more or less that you can be part of the executive or part of congress but Congress can't set up an executive agency that is outside of the executive branch. SO democrats said we're going to set up this agency and it's going to be guaranteed funding so Congress can't influence it as much, and it's also going to be insulated from the influence of the president because he can't remove the head. SOrt of shows their belief that things would be better (rather than tyrannical) if they put technocratic bureaucrats in charge rather than leave things up to democratic processes. Courts so far have said, no, Constitution doesn't allow you to just remove things from normal checks and balances.

This particular part of it is also sort of analogous to the lawsuits over Mississippi's Adequate Education Funding. Lawyers for school districts argued that the legislature in 1997 dictated how schools would be funded going forward and future legislatures were bound by that. The courts of course found more or less that one legislature can't bind future legislatures on appropriations like that and subsequent legislatures were free to determine how to appropriate money, even if that meant funding it at a lower amount than the 1997 legislature thought schools should be funded.

ETA: All that to say, the CFPB will operate more like other government agencies. Somewhat shielded at least from voter blowback, but still able to be reigned in by Congress by controlling the purse strings and also subject to Presidential influence through the appointment of the head.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

This is a huge deal on the banking side and potentially for the housing market down the road. Especially with Republicans likely taking back control after next month.
As many agencies are already funded that way, this crank ruling won't survive long.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
As many agencies are already funded that way, this crank ruling won't survive long.
What federal agencies have a funding source that Congress can't touch? SEC and others can I guess self fund to an extent with fines? But is there another agency that is funded with a tax or appropriation that future congresses can't reduce?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Not gonna lie... I clicked ithis thread thinking it had something to do with the College Football Playoff, but alas no, it’s just some boring *** political stuff.
Dave Chapelle GIF - Dave Chapelle Dave Chappelle GIFs

This is super interesting legal stuff M17'er. If you can't enjoy a good separation of powers argument I just feel sorry for you and your family and friends.**
Public Enemy Flavor Flav GIF - Public Enemy Flavor Flav Chuck D GIFs

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
What federal agencies have a funding source that Congress can't touch? SEC and others can I guess self fund to an extent with fines? But is there another agency that is funded with a tax or appropriation that future congresses can't reduce?
As you pointed out earlier, no legislature can restrict future acts by that same legislature. So no agencies have funding that Congress can't touch. Just pass a bill.

The issue here is the funding didn't come "from the Treasury". Meaning it doesn't rely on appropriations bills. Plenty of agencies have funding that is not reliant on annual appropriations bills.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
As you pointed out earlier, no legislature can restrict future acts by that same legislature. So no agencies have funding that Congress can't touch. Just pass a bill.

The issue here is the funding didn't come "from the Treasury". Meaning it doesn't rely on appropriations bills. Plenty of agencies have funding that is not reliant on annual appropriations bills.
I mean, I guess, but why not just direct all agencies be funded from the Fed, then we wouldn't need taxes.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
They're the most powerful entity in Washington. They can do just about whatever they want, to who they want.
Which reminds me, we still won't score a TD on Alabama.

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I mean, I guess, but why not just direct all agencies be funded from the Fed, then we wouldn't need taxes.
Shhhh, don't let our stupid Congress get any ideas. Cause really, they could. I guess this judge doesn't realize that just because Congress could do something stupid, doesn't mean it would be unconstitutional.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
They're the most powerful entity in Washington. They can do just about whatever they want, to who they want.
Which reminds me, we still won't score on Alabama.
Wait. Are we talking about Gary Gensler, Jerome Powell, or Greg Sankey? No threads, so got to use that reply button in the message.

Also, I think we either get a defensive TD on an interception or we recover a fumble deep enough in their territory to get a field goal.

Jul 8, 2007
I don't think that is the issue. Appropriation is the authority to spend the money, no matter the source. CFPB was granted the authority in perpetuity to spend money. The court simply ruled one Congress can't bind spending on a future Congress. There is no other federal agency that has authority to spend money in perpetuity. Some are given budgetary authority every year to spend money they collect through fines and other means, but that authority is renewed every year.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I don't think that is the issue. Appropriation is the authority to spend the money, no matter the source. CFPB was granted the authority in perpetuity to spend money. The court simply ruled one Congress can't bind spending on a future Congress. There is no other federal agency that has authority to spend money in perpetuity. Some are given budgetary authority every year to spend money they collect through fines and other means, but that authority is renewed every year.
"From the Treasury" is wording in the constitution that was the basis of the lawsuit.

A future Congress can simply pass a bill that says that authority is cancelled, right?

How is this different from a past Congress granting the Executive war powers in perpetuity? AUMF anyone?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Wait. Are we talking about Gary Gensler, Jerome Powell, or Greg Sankey? No threads, so got to use that reply button in the message.

Also, I think we either get a defensive TD on an interception or we recover a fumble deep enough in their territory to get a field goal.
Sorry meant TD. And Saban.

Reactions: Dawgg
Jul 8, 2007
"From the Treasury" is wording in the constitution that was the basis of the lawsuit.
Not sure why you are arguing this point. All public funds held by the US government are by definition "US Treasury". The source of the funds do not matter.

A future Congress can simply pass a bill that says that authority is cancelled, right?
Yes they can, but there is no need to pass another bill because the original Act is unconstitutional. The remedy for an unconstitutional Act of one Congress should not be dependent on an Act of a future Congress.

How is this different from a past Congress granting the Executive war powers in perpetuity? AUMF anyone?
Because it involves spending of the US Treasury. The process for which is defined in the US Constitution.

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Not sure why you are arguing this point. All public funds held by the US government are by definition "US Treasury". The source of the funds do not matter.

Yes they can, but there is no need to pass another bill because the original Act is unconstitutional. The remedy for an unconstitutional Act of one Congress should not be dependent on an Act of a future Congress.

Because it involves spending of the US Treasury. The process for which is defined in the US Constitution.
I'm not arguing the 1st point, the judge is. I agree with you on that point, that's why I disagree with the judge.

2nd point is circular reasoning. The bill is unconstitutional, supposedly, because it restricts a future Congress. But that future congress is not restricted as they could just pass a bill altering or deleting the 1st as they like. But they can't, because the 1st is unconstitutional? And it's unconstitutional because they can't?

3rd point. The AUMF granted Congressional power to the executive in perpetuity. Restricting a future Congress. The process described in the constitution invokes "from the Treasury"....which you said isn't an issue here as all govt funds are US Treasury funds. So where's the beef? At this point, I'm not even arguing with you, you're arguing with yourself.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010

LMAO that libs here are claiming Democrat politicians would ever do anything that is not political & in their best interests.

The reality is it was just another in a long list of Democrat attempts to circumvent the Constitution, force their way on every citizen, and cover their power-grab, etc. The same way they choose liberal activist SCOTUS judges, knowing they will ignore the Constitution under the guise of claiming it is a "living & breathing document subject to interpretation" so they can force unconstitutional "false legislation" they know they can't pass legitimately in Congress.

They appointed their people, and added a clause that tried to say the head they appointed could never be fired or replaced except for "cause".

Last edited:

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012
LMAO that libs here are claiming Democrat politicians would ever do anything that is not political & in their best interests.

The reality is it was just another in a long list of Democrat attempts to circumvent the Constitution, force their way on every citizen, and cover their power-grab, etc. The same way they choose liberal activist SCOTUS judges, knowing they will ignore the Constitution under the guise of claiming it is a "living & breathing document subject to interpretation" so they can force unconstitutional "false legislation" they know they can't pass legitimately in Congress.

They appointed their people, and added a clause that tried to say the head they appointed could never be fired or replaced except for "cause".
I’m sure the Dems would make sure the agency was completely neutral and would probably even select a Republican to head it. Liz Cheney or Adam Kinzinger come to mind. What could go wrong?***

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Given that the whole point of the way they created that agency was to prevent future Congresses (which they knew that at some points in the future would be Republican) from having any kind of oversight of the agency, it's an obviously unconstitutional funding scheme. There's no other agency that has a similar funding arrangement.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Given that the whole point of the way they created that agency was to prevent future Congresses (which they knew that at some points in the future would be Republican) from having any kind of oversight of the agency, it's an obviously unconstitutional funding scheme. There's no other agency that has a similar funding arrangement.

No. It was written to make it DIFFICULT for future Congresses to hamstring it. Not impossible. All any future Congress has to do is pass a bill.

But whenever we get govt working for us commoners against the moneyed interests, all the cons come out with ******** to be against it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login