COVID Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Started feeling bad on Sunday 1/23 around lunch but I was also hungover.
Sunday night Monday morning around 3a woke up with a terrible sore throat and congested
Took a decongestant and gargled with salt water

Monday
Sore throat
Congestion
Headache
Achey body
Tired
At home positive test around 530p

Tuesday
Same symptoms

Wednesday
Less of a headache
Less congestion
Less sore throat
More coughing
Felt better overall but still tired

Today so far
Up at 630
Less congestion
Less ache
Feel a lot better but still not 100%

Gonna take it easy today and do some work from home.

Mucinex is a game changer for clearing you up.

I’m still a proponent of older people and people with health issues to get vaccinated.

I’m still a proponent of choice also.

I actually found out yesterday I may have to travel overseas for work and was looking into scheduling a vaccine but I have to wait so many days now before I can get it.
Looks like I might can travel with proof i had COVID within 90 days.

Stay safe out there!

Last edited:

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Same in our house now. Wife came down with it Monday. Her worst day was Tuesday. Little bit better yesterday. She’s up and rolling today. However, I got the fever yesterday and probably won’t get out of this bed today. Son has developed cough and congestion too, but is acting fine.

Her doc said the pattern in omicron is pretty cut and dry. Day 2 is the worst and you’re feeling close to normal by day 4.

Wife works in healthcare and somehow we’ve been able to skirt by with no Covid until this week. I’d say the omicron is like a bad common cold or a light flu. Body aches are the worst part for me.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I did some night sweating but my temp is always normal when I check it.

Good luck.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
When I had omicron, the whole time I thought I had allergies that were worse. I barely knew I has it.

Sep 15, 2009
Geez sounds like I was lucky. Positive test the 18th. Had severe headache, chills, low grade fever the 18th and 19th. Stayed on Ibuprofen 800. Woke up Thursday morning no head ache and been better since. Head ache was my only symptom.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Same in our house now. Wife came down with it Monday. Her worst day was Tuesday. Little bit better yesterday. She’s up and rolling today. However, I got the fever yesterday and probably won’t get out of this bed today. Son has developed cough and congestion too, but is acting fine.

Her doc said the pattern in omicron is pretty cut and dry. Day 2 is the worst and you’re feeling close to normal by day 4.

Wife works in healthcare and somehow we’ve been able to skirt by with no Covid until this week. I’d say the omicron is like a bad common cold or a light flu. Body aches are the worst part for me.

That's what we're seeing. About half want to come back to work after 2 days and half want to come back after 4. Virtually nobody is happy about being required to sit out 5 days. If the CDC hadn't reduced the isolation time to 5 days, I think employees would just refuse to get tested and treat it like a cold and come back as soon as they felt good enough to work. Have seen two that have stayed out longer than a week, one that must have felt pretty bad to stay out that long, one that misses a lot of work for anything.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I had Covid last year and was 100% asymptomatic. I've been extremely congested, soar throat, burning eyes, and headache since Monday. I'm sure I have it but I'm also sure that 50% of the people I interact with on a daily basis have it. At one point does it just become the norm and we don't have to stay inside for a week for feeling like you have an allergy problem?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Geez sounds like I was lucky. Positive test the 18th. Had severe headache, chills, low grade fever the 18th and 19th. Stayed on Ibuprofen 800. Woke up Thursday morning no head ache and been better since. Head ache was my only symptom.
Were you vaxxed? Seems like that cuts your time by about half. I got it a few weeks ago and an unvaxxed friend got it too, generally the same time. His was spread out more than mine, like the OP, by about 2x. I had the sore throat one night (but overall felt fine), then chills/headache/fever next day (it broke that night), then was nearly good to go on the next day.

Feb 20, 2011
Invest in a neti pot.
I've never used the Neti pot, but I use the squeeze bottle for the same purpose.

I had never used it prior to having deviated septum surgery years ago. My Dr told me to use it to keep my nasal passages clean after the surgery. I've used it ever since (only less frequently).

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
My entire household tested positive. I got sick first. 103 temp. Lasted about two days but I was sick for five days. I still have chest congestion. Both my teenager got sick and they were in bed two day with 102-103 temp. My wife got sick but did not have temp. We all went and saw doctor and all tested positive. I have had both shots and the booster. My wife has had both shots. My kids have not had any shots.

I want to add that I am in really good shape. I am 6'2", 230 pounds with 36 inch waist. I eat healthy. I lift weights six days a week. I still got sick as hell. I probably would have been in hospital if I wasn't all that with all three shots. My reminded me of my age.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I thought I had it. When to the doc, tested negative, said I have a sinus infection, got a decadron shot, now I feel like a million dollars.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
It’ll have to be the norm. The vax doesn’t stop it. Nothing stops it. It’s here to stay. If they can eradicate it, those same people need to get to work on the cold and the flu vax.

Or we can wait 55 years to find out why the current vax isn’t working.***

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I had Covid last year and was 100% asymptomatic. I've been extremely congested, soar throat, burning eyes, and headache since Monday. I'm sure I have it but I'm also sure that 50% of the people I interact with on a daily basis have it. At one point does it just become the norm and we don't have to stay inside for a week for feeling like you have an allergy problem?

I'm curious as to whether all the people that had positive tests and were completely asymptomatic really had an infection. Whether it's possible for PCR tests to be sensitive enough to pick up virus in a swab that is not sufficient to trigger an infection and antibodies.

I assume some people had crossover immunity that just does not protect against newer variants, but the only people I know that have had a second positive covid test (granted, that's literally a few people) were asymptomatic the first time and the only one that followed up with tests for antibodies never showed any antibodies.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Ironically, my sons daycare will require him to be out longer than my wife or I have to be. His daycare doesn’t utilize the new CDC guidelines so he’s got to sit out 10-14 days regardless, even though my wife can return to work next Monday.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Were you vaxxed? Seems like that cuts your time by about half. I got it a few weeks ago and an unvaxxed friend got it too, generally the same time. His was spread out more than mine, like the OP, by about 2x. I had the sore throat one night (but overall felt fine), then chills/headache/fever next day (it broke that night), then was nearly good to go on the next day.

I’m vaxxed and my wife isn’t. Our cases have been nearly identical to this point. Mine just hasn’t been as intense as hers but not much different.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I wish the focus in US would switch to therapeutics instead of Vaccine. If things continue they won’t be able to stay ahead of the variants with vaccines. We need therapeutics in place and ready if a very deadly variant comes along.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've had decadron twice and it didn't do anything for me, at all. When Mrs. Peeper takes it always makes her feel like a million and want to hump my bones almost non stop. I call that a bonus and NOT a side effect

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Never been “vaccinated” and so far never had Covid. Also never been tested. Never worked from home. Never stopped going to the gym, even switched when one shut shut down to one that never shut down. Never do grocery pick up, I go inside Ect. Also my kids have never been tested or had to miss school because of it, and by chance so far have never got caught up in having to miss because of close contact or class quarantines. Over the past two years the wife had been a little sick once or twice, but nothing to think much about or run to the doctor over. She’s only been tested once when they made her before having an medical operation. Evidently they make everyone do that.

From personal observation, the last two months especially, I’d guess 90% of the people I know or hear about getting Covid, Covid again, or just getting sick, were all vaccinated and a bunch with the booster. Why that is, I don’t know. A few people I’ve known lately who got it lately that had not had any Covid shots seem to have had the same or even milder symptoms than the ones vaccinated and boosted.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m baffled and somewhat envious of the lifestyle you must live.

Hard to avoid COVID for 2 years!

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yes
Get healthy

Exercise
Eat healthy
Take regular vitamins and don’t over do it
Get outside regularly

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I've never used the Neti pot, but I use the squeeze bottle for the same purpose.

I had never used it prior to having deviated septum surgery years ago. My Dr told me to use it to keep my nasal passages clean after the surgery. I've used it ever since (only less frequently).

Had some kids who kept testing positive after having covid. They wanted to get back on field for practice. A couple uses of the neti pot and they were negative later that day. With omicron being in the nasal passages it helps.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I wish the focus in US would switch to therapeutics instead of Vaccine. If things continue they won’t be able to stay ahead of the variants with vaccines. We need therapeutics in place and ready if a very deadly variant comes along.
That's not how it works. Variants get less deadly but more transmissible because the virus is simply trying to stay alive. To get more deadly (per capita) it'll have to be a totally new disease, not a variant of COVID-19. It eventually becomes endemic when enough people have antibodies (through vaccine or natural, those who didn't die). This is basic stuff, man.

Therapeutics are already in place. The monoclonal antibodies, hydrochoriquine ****, even ivermection (human doses by doc orders), along with NyQuil and every other OTC medicine, is all there.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
No but I got 3 downvotes so I think some people have their fingers crossed.

Last edited:

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Yeah I’m dealing with it as well and my symptoms seem to be in line with yours. Symptoms started on Monday night. Tested positive Tuesday morning. The congestion has gotten better but last night was cough was as bad as it had been

archdog

Aug 22, 2012

It will become the norm once everyone decides it will be the new normal. Deaths have to be reduced down to a level, but each variant has the potential to change the death rates.
I wish we would just set a deadline for these protective measures. Say May 28th or something similar. Get the vaccine or else. The biggest danger at that point are the people that cannot get the vaccine due to other complications. And I feel for those people.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Wife is tested weekly since she is a nurse and came up positive last Thursday and sent home with no symptoms Checked Monday as negative The funny thing is that she had been miserable with Covid like symptoms for about 2 weeks and she tested negative both weeks, gets better and tested positive.

Evidently the jab has worked for me and the son at home. Wife and I acted normally which means a lot of physical contact. No, we didn't shag all the time but we've become more amorous in recent years after almost calling it quits about 3 years ago. Never been happier

Last edited:

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
This is a great question.

Anecdotally, every single person that I know who has gotten Omicron in the last month or so (probably north of 30 folks at this point), including myself, has had a pretty easy experience. I'd say common symptoms range between bad cold and flu - but only last a couple of days. As a society, we typically don't lock ourselves up for 5 - 10 days when we have symptoms like that, so there's got to be a big change in approach sooner than later. Quarantine for 5-10 days is simply too much to ask most people. It's also a unique situation bc the numbers are so damn high right now that we still see a tremendous amount of hospitalizations despite my group of contacts breezing through it. Death doesn't seem to be quite as high though, but still worrisome.

All that said, I guess the answer to the question is "we stop staying inside for a week as soon as unvaccinated folks figure out how to keep themselves out of the hospital or we stop caring about unvaccinated people and the healthcare workers that have to take care of them - whichever comes first". My guess is it will be the latter after this variant cycles through. Then, who knows as time goes by? Hopefully we are closer to the point that this thing just evolves into something our collective bodies can handle after several exposures and vaccinations than we are to the phase where novel virus is killing off so many people. Cross your fingers that Omicron is indicative of that and that we don't get a false sense of security and nailed by something as virulent as Delta and contagious as Omicron.

Also, yes I understand the odds are in your favor as an individual even if not vaccinated. I also understand that vaccination isn't an end-all perfect situation either. You could still get very sick. But if you just take a look at the charts showing who is getting very sick, it's pretty obvious whose hands were holding and waiting on right now in this pandemic. I'm sure most every one of these folks didn't think they'd get very sick when they made their choice. It's simply not a good decision to be that guy. (All these are generic comments in response to the question you posed, not directed at your opinions/behavior directly).

View attachment 23710

I would like to see this chart updated through January. I suspect it will tell the same story though.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
I got sick last Tuesday, coughing and tired.
Took at home Boimax test - negative
Worked half a day Wednesday Tested negative again
Wednesday night chiils, fever and sweats
Thursday sore throat and cough
Went to office on Friday then Doctor - took PCR tested Positive
Saturday and Sunday, sore throat, cough fatigue
Monday started feeling a little better, better today but still have cough.

I am fully vaxed too.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Consulted the household lab director

I'm curious as to whether all the people that had positive tests and were completely asymptomatic really had an infection. Whether it's possible for PCR tests to be sensitive enough to pick up virus in a swab that is not sufficient to trigger an infection and antibodies.

I assume some people had crossover immunity that just does not protect against newer variants, but the only people I know that have had a second positive covid test (granted, that's literally a few people) were asymptomatic the first time and the only one that followed up with tests for antibodies never showed any antibodies.

PCR tests are very reliable and sensitive. An asymptomatic infection with positive test result would not get the attention of anyone running these tests based on their design. They are based on viral RNA rather than the rapid tests which focus on proteins. Rapid test are fairly reliable as well - at least if you are getting a positive result. Their limitation during early infection. They don't do as good of a job as PCR in early stages of an infection so you might get a false negative. This lines up with my experience as well. I tested at home when I first had symptoms at home. Negative. Symptoms got worse. Tested again and positive. Positive again 2 days later (I was curious).

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Same here. I hate using it, but for sinus / nasal issues, they really works well.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Also, yes I understand the odds are in your favor as an individual even if not vaccinated. I also understand that vaccination isn't an end-all perfect situation either. You could still get very sick. But if you just take a look at the charts showing who is getting very sick, it's pretty obvious whose hands were holding and waiting on right now in this pandemic. I'm sure most every one of these folks didn't think they'd get very sick when they made their choice. It's simply not a good decision to be that guy. (All these are generic comments in response to the question you posed, not directed at your opinions/behavior directly).
I was hoping that the anti-vax crowd would fizzle out during Delta, but they dug in. In summer 2020 I could understand, not that many were sick. Even into the spring I could get it, because the vax was still 'new'. But by fall of 2021, if you hadn't been convinced by then that you'd eventually get it, and that the vax would protect you, you weren't convince-able. So, by proxy, we've essentially voted to go for the long-term plan, which is a mix of vaccinated and natural antibodies. I mean these people are giving up their jobs for this.

I'm no coronabro. I hate masks. I didn't tell anybody what they should do. But the vaccines were just common sense. I don't understand dying on the hill. It's so minor, and as your graph shows, it keeps you out of the hospital.

But unfortunately, all these clowns 'know a person' who was vaccinated and got sick, so they ignore the general truth.

Sep 15, 2009
un vaxxed

GTDawg

Sep 8, 2021
I had it two weeks ago... Found out I was exposed on Tuesday and started feeling bad that evening... Tested positive on Wednesday with mainly coughing, fatigue, and possibly a low-grade fever... Felt much better the next day and was nearly back to normal on Friday.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
Wife and I are completely vaccinated (3shots plus flu shot) thought I had Covid when it .first hit went and got tested showed a false negative, whatever that means ended up being bronchitis. Haven’t had a sniffle since and I’m 74, lift weights 4 days a week and wife has MS so we’ve been very lucky .

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I’m baffled and somewhat envious of the lifestyle you must live.

Hard to avoid COVID for 2 years!

To add, I’m middle aged, a little over the hill, lighter weight but probably normal average. Always have routinely exercised and eaten healthy within balance, I do enjoy myself. In the last year or so only thing I’ve changed is I’ve added a few different vitamins a week and more conscious about washing my hands before eating anything or touching my face. Also, never have worn masks except for that time in the hospital when my wife had surgery. Again I don’t have all the answers.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
PCR tests are very reliable and sensitive. An asymptomatic infection with positive test result would not get the attention of anyone running these tests based on their design. They are based on viral RNA rather than the rapid tests which focus on proteins.
I guess I phrased that poorly, but I know a positive PCR tests mean that the virus was present in the person being tested (at least absent contamination), but my understanding is the viral load a person is initially exposed to has to reach a critical mass to result in an infection. If you're exposed to literally one virion, that's unlikely to result in multiplication in sufficient numbers to cause an infection before your body clears it. So is there a number of virion that is high enough to replicate enough to show up on a pcr test as a positive, but low enough that your body is able to clear it without needing a robust enough immune response to generate any virus specific antibodies or memory t cells that produce long lasting immunity.

Rapid test are fairly reliable as well - at least if you are getting a positive result. Their limitation during early infection. They don't do as good of a job as PCR in early stages of an infection so you might get a false negative. This lines up with my experience as well. I tested at home when I first had symptoms at home. Negative. Symptoms got worse. Tested again and positive. Positive again 2 days later (I was curious).

The way it was explained to me is that antigen tests are probably more of a test of infectiousness. If you are showing positive on rapid tests, you are probably shedding virus and are contagious. If you are getting a negative rapid test, you can still have an infection but you probably aren't contagious yet, or are no longer contagious. This was not an explanation from an infectious disease expert but the person was an MD. Not sure if that's consensus opinion or his opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login