Crazy a 50/50 ball to Robinson won the game

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
50/50? Again, go back to Genes. That was a duck we got lucky on.

Stop posting, what is wrong with y’all, I hate our fans

Reactions: CoastDawg18

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
We just found someone that sucked more. Hopefully we can find a couple more of those.

Cdbo

Oct 4, 2023
How can you not watch this team and realize we are a disaster of a football team. The only game we have left that we will win is USM. We must have an entire new coaching staff a few weeks after the egg bowl

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
That is a common call in that situation. If it gets picked off it's the same as a punt. It's SAFER than a punt from there. It went our way for once. You need to stop posting.
If it's incomplete (the most likely outcome in that situation), you're still punting from the back of the endzone. It was a terrible call, it's always a terrible call even if Nick Saban is calling it.

Sheer luck that we came down with that.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If it's incomplete (the most likely outcome in that situation), you're still punting from the back of the endzone. It was a terrible call, it's always a terrible call even if Nick Saban is calling it.

Sheer luck that we came down with that.
So what's your call?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So what's your call?
For the record, I don't know or care if it was a bad call. The punt may have been worse, but probably not. But one thing I know for certain, it was NOT a 50/50 ball, which is what this thread was about. We got extremely lucky, which seemed to be the theme of the day for us.

We will probably be reminded of this Saturday, when a terrible Auburn team beats us 38-14.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Well we are facing another team with major suckage Saturday. There is a chance they may suck a little more than us or that luck will be on our side again. And all you AR haters should love this game. Neither team will be passing so make sure you take a couple No Doze before kickoff. Should be a boring pukefest of a game. Hopefully we can go ahead and get that W tho so we can safe the bowl streak.

Reactions: blitz2Win

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Let me chime in on that 50/50 ball. How many times have you seen Jrob put that much effort in catching a pass ? Maybe I'm crazy but I would say never.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Maskhater

Aug 30, 2023
Great play call, if we catch it we’re out from behind our own goal posts, if it’s intercepted they’re at the 30 where they woulda been anyway.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Anything that gave me a few yards to punt the ball away. Throwing the ball up for grabs at my own 30 would definitely have not been my call.
And your confidence that we would have got any yards based on how we were doing at the time?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
And your confidence that we would have got any yards based on how we were doing at the time?
They were in a soft deep zone because it was third and long. That's why there were four guys around Rob on that hail mary of a pass. Any draw play, screen play, or QB keeper would've gotten five to eight yards.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
They were in a soft deep zone because it was third and long. That's why there were four guys around Rob on that hail mary of a pass. Any draw play, screen play, or QB keeper would've gotten five to eight yards.
Instead we got 30. You win.

• Haha
Reactions: stateu1

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Ah, so you're back to ignoring the whole point of the thread.

Are you like this in real life too? Or is this a SPS gimmick?
In real life do you discount good fortune like you do here? There was nothing wrong with the call. It's not an uncommon one there. We got lucky, but it wasn't all luck. The receiver made an amazing effort to get that ball. The line did a good job blocking to enable us to get the pass off. If we "get a few yards" we are still punting from the shadow of our own goal post. They would have got great field position and probably scored. That would probably have been the game. We took a risk, it worked, and it probably saved the game. I honestly don't get all the bitching about this one.

Reactions: stateu1

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
In real life do you discount good fortune like you do here? There was nothing wrong with the call. It's not an uncommon one there. We got lucky, but it wasn't all luck. The receiver made an amazing effort to get that ball. The line did a good job blocking to enable us to get the pass off. If we "get a few yards" we are still punting from the shadow of our own goal post. They would have got great field position and probably scored. That would probably have been the game. We took a risk, it worked, and it probably saved the game. I honestly don't get all the bitching about this one.
There is nothing 'common' about throwing a ball up for grabs from out of your own end zone on third and long. It is nothing like a punt as you suggest. That is more commonly done around midfield, not out of your own end zone.

We got lucky and I'm glad we did. But that's exactly what it was. A really stupid decision that was bailed out by a tremendous individual effort.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
There is nothing 'common' about throwing a ball up for grabs from out of your own end zone on third and long. It is nothing like a punt as you suggest. That is more commonly done around midfield, not out of your own end zone.

We got lucky and I'm glad we did. But that's exactly what it was. A really stupid decision that was bailed out by a tremendous individual effort.
Whay are you so upset about it? It worked. I was very happy about it. Again, had we done what you wanted we would still have been punting from inside the 5 or 10. They would have got the ball on our side of the 50, at a minimum. In all likely hood we would have lost the game. Is that what you wanted?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Whay are you so upset about it? It worked. I was very happy about it. Again, had we done what you wanted we would still have been punting from inside the 5 or 10. They would have got the ball on our side of the 50, at a minimum. In all likely hood we would have lost the game. Is that what you wanted?
I'm not upset. I'm astounded that you are doubling and tripling down on such an astonishingly stupid position.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nobody is upset that we caught the ball and went on to win the game. It was a big play, we all agree there.

That's neither my original point of this thread about it being a 50/50 ball, nor the sub-convo going on here about what play to call in that position.

Serious question - what planet are you on?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Nobody is upset that we caught the ball and went on to win the game. It was a big play, we all agree there.

That's neither my original point of this thread about it being a 50/50 ball, nor the sub-convo going on here about what play to call in that position.

Serious question - what planet are you on?
What's wrong with a 50-50 ball in that situation? I agree that's what it was. It was probably less than that actually. I also get that it's not ideal that the game turned on that play. But it still was perhaps the biggest play in a SEC road game that we were a solid underdog in. To me that is worth being very happy about. You also forget that I always saw this as a 6-6 team. In this particular case I'm on planet earth. It was a big win for this team, and a much needed one.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What's wrong with a 50-50 ball in that situation? I agree that's what it was.
OK, so we agree. It was much less than a 50/50 ball. It was at best a 10/90 ball on 3rd and long. As said before, JRob had 3-4 defenders around him, and it was a duck that wasn't thrown well. It might be a 50/50 ball on 2nd and 2 with man to man coverage on the outside, but I'd still set it at 40/60 even in that case.

That was my original point, and you misinterpreted it. At no point was anybody pissed that he caught the ball. But we do kinda wonder about questionable play-calling.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
OK, so we agree. It was much less than a 50/50 ball. It was at best a 10/90 ball on 3rd and long. As said before, JRob had 3-4 defenders around him, and it was a duck that wasn't thrown well. It might be a 50/50 ball on 2nd and 2 with man to man coverage on the outside, but I'd still set it at 40/60 even in that case.

That was my original point, and you misinterpreted it. At no point was anybody pissed that he caught the ball. But we do kinda wonder about questionable play-calling.
Actually, I didn't misinterpret it. I just didn't pay much attention to it. ;)

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Let me chime in on that 50/50 ball. How many times have you seen Jrob put that much effort in catching a pass ? Maybe I'm crazy but I would say never.
Similar to what I was thinking... everyone keeps saying it was 'lucky'. Maybe whoever called the play was lucky it worked, but the catch wasn't lucky - that was a hell of a play for him to go up and get it. Robinson could really help us if he keeps making that effort.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Similar to what I was thinking... everyone keeps saying it was 'lucky'. Maybe whoever called the play was lucky it worked, but the catch wasn't lucky - that was a hell of a play for him to go up and get it. Robinson could really help us if he keeps making that effort.
For the record, I agree with you....it was lucky, but that was directed at the decision. I was not questioning Rob's effort or ability on that play. He's the one that made chicken salad out of chicken chit on that play.

Reactions: Darryl Steight
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login