Cristil Society - Additional Bulldog Club Giving

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
This popped up on my social media today. Haven't seen it discussed here yet. You can learn more here:

1) Glad to see our Athletic Director being in front of the curve on giving.
2) Obviously targeted towards "high-level" donors.
3) Curious if this has anything to do with the new "requirement" to share TV revenues with athletes (can't call them student-athletes any more).

Thoughts?

Reactions: dorndawg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
My initial thought is that a forward looking AD, and I’m not talking about Selmon, would’ve instituted things like this 2-3 years ago.

But to answer your last question, this is 100% a result of all the payer-playing legislation. As much as some wish that schools would achieve this by paying coaches and admin less or possibly even spending less on new facilities, that was never gonna happen. Schools are still going to build and renovate in order to remain attractive, they’re still going to pay big salaries to admin while feasibly even growing the athletic org structure, and now they’ve got to carve out a big chunk of change for players too. Therefore, they need more money, and here we are

To be perfectly honest, I thought that we’d have reached a tipping point by now when it comes to all that is being asked of fans, but I can admit when I’m wrong. This train doesn’t appear to be slowing down at all, just morphing in some ways

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
My initial thought is that a forward looking AD, and I’m not talking about Selmon, would’ve instituted things like this 2-3 years ago.

But to answer your last question, this is 100% a result of all the payer-playing legislation. As much as some wish that schools would achieve this by paying coaches and admin less or possibly even spending less on new facilities, that was never gonna happen. Schools are still going to build and renovate in order to remain attractive, they’re still going to pay big salaries to admin while feasibly even growing the athletic org structure, and now they’ve got to carve out a big chunk of change for players too. Therefore, they need more money, and here we are

To be perfectly honest, I thought that we’d have reached a tipping point by now when it comes to all that is being asked of fans, but I can admit when I’m wrong. This train doesn’t appear to be slowing down at all, just morphing in some ways

I disagree the train is about to slow down rapidly. Being we are on this forum shows that we are fans that are invested whether financially or emotionally. I have a lot of friends that are disgusted with NIL. I'm friends with a former state player that refuses to buy tickets now. I know several people that have given up their season tickets (actually saw a fb post yesterday from a former alumni classmate that isn't renewing tickets and they have been a MSU faculty member for years). You combine that in a economy where people are struggling to make ends meat and sports (outside their own kids sports) just don't matter much.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Regardless of everything, all big donor giving will depend on how much success* Lebby produces this year.

*Success will be measured in terms of wins and excitement. It will scale similar to 2009 - even though Mullen only won 5 games, you could discern he was a good coach and the overall perception was he had our program trending in the right direction. Lebby will need to replicate a similar season. 3 days.

patdog

May 28, 2007
A good athletic director would be looking for ways to increase NIL funding instead of cannibalizing it with more push for Bulldog Club funding.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
For those of you fed up with NIL and would rather support a group of athletes who truly play for the love of the game for zero money at all, Mad Dawg Rugby needs a shot in the arm to help pay for new uniforms. (My son is a sophomore and on the team.)

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
A good athletic director would be looking for ways to increase NIL funding instead of cannibalizing it with more push for Bulldog Club funding.
Well genius, AD and school cannot control the NIL just yet that’s coming and we are set up when this takes place. Then there is Rev sharing coming next summer. But I wouldn’t expect you to know all this

May 7, 2006

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Is NIL as important now that we're sharing $22MM of TV revenue with the players?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well genius, AD and school cannot control the NIL just yet that’s coming and we are set up when this takes place. Then there is Rev sharing coming next summer. But I wouldn’t expect you to know all this
That’s a pretty naive take. If any AD isn’t heavily involved in NIL, he’s not doing his job.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
That’s a pretty naive take. If any AD isn’t heavily involved in NIL, he’s not doing his job.
I don’t claim to know Selmon’s day-to-day activities, but I do know our NIL efforts our light years ahead of where we were a year and half ago. It’s one of the primary reasons he was hired. Basically the anti-Cohen approach.

I think it’s difficult to judge right now since last year we were competing with a lame duck coach. A washed year. Lebby may suck *** or be awesome, but at least we’ll know what direction we are headed with this regime after this season.

Edited to add: I think some of the angst or apathy with Selmon is he was handed a program that was rudderless under Arnett (a coach that no AD hired). We’re about to finally see his vision for football (it could be good or bad).

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
When I clicked on this thread I was wondering who was going to be the first to bring this up because its kind of the $25,000 elephant in the room

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t claim to know Selmon’s day-to-day activities, but I do know our NIL efforts our light years ahead of where we were a year and half ago. It’s one of the primary reasons he was hired. Basically the anti-Cohen approach.

I think it’s difficult to judge right now since last year we were competing with a lame duck coach. A washed year. Lebby may suck *** or be awesome, but at least we’ll know what direction we are headed with this regime after this season.

Edited to add: I think some of the angst or apathy with Selmon is he was handed a program that was rudderless under Arnett (a coach that no AD hired). We’re about to finally see his vision for football (it could be good or bad).
I was very optimistic when we hired Selmon. And he’s definitely a better fundraiser than his predecessor. But we’re still lagging far behind the rest of the SEC in NIL, and doing very little about it. Contributions to Bulldog Club are essentially meaningless. But he’s pushing that a lot harder than NIL.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
When I clicked on this thread I was wondering who was going to be the first to bring this up because its kind of the $25,000 elephant in the room
I'd be curious to know how much money that once went to the BDC now goes to NIL. BDC has to be hurting compared to five years ago. Add in the people who are just fed up with the whole thing and quit writing the checks completely and I'd imagine the BDC's budget has shrunk tremendously.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I disagree the train is about to slow down rapidly. Being we are on this forum shows that we are fans that are invested whether financially or emotionally. I have a lot of friends that are disgusted with NIL. I'm friends with a former state player that refuses to buy tickets now. I know several people that have given up their season tickets (actually saw a fb post yesterday from a former alumni classmate that isn't renewing tickets and they have been a MSU faculty member for years). You combine that in a economy where people are struggling to make ends meat and sports (outside their own kids sports) just don't matter much.
I hear you, and if I'm wrong again(or maybe prove that I was right the first time), I'll admit that too. However, I've seen no tangible evidence to indicate that anything surrounding college football is slowing down. TV viewership and their respective contracts are soaring, coaches' salaries continue to climb, donations are pouring in, and even the f/n Liberty bowl is in the process of a $220M renovation.

Are some fans going to be turned away entirely or at the least... decide to start watching at home instead of buying season tickets? 100%, I'm one of those and I do expect stadiums to start hosting less and less people in the coming years. However, it's no longer about the sheer qty anymore. It's about the amount of money that the people who are still engaged are willing to give, and that number is still going up

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I was very optimistic when we hired Selmon. And he’s definitely a better fundraiser than his predecessor. But we’re still lagging far behind the rest of the SEC in NIL, and doing very little about it. Contributions to Bulldog Club are essentially meaningless. But he’s pushing that a lot harder than NIL.
We might be, I’m not sure. I just think most of it is tied to Lebby’s success and we haven’t seen him coach a game yet. If he wins this year, the donations will start flowing. We’ve always had a wait & see approach with our fanbase (that’s not a good thing imo).

Reactions: Corby.sixpack

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Yes. Because everyone is gonna share 22 mill. So NIL is where you will win the portal/recruits.
The whole situation is pure comedy..

The AD’s are now in competition with NIL collectives over the same dollars.

AD’s need to make their budget. NIL’s need to buy players.

Tv money going to players doesn’t even the playing field like a few idiots argued last year. It just lifted all the boats by the height of that tide.

What if Jerry Jones was out here saying… The Cowboys are offering Dak $60MM but we need donations from you fans to keep him from skipping town!

Boy… history is going to look back on college football fans and laugh at how dumb we were during this era.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

It’s a rich man’s game going forward. They’ll give more, and demand premium seating, etc., and the middle class will choose not to go or give, resulting in less butts in seats and more of a TV audience.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It’s a rich man’s game going forward. They’ll give more, and demand premium seating, etc., and the middle class will choose not to go or give, resulting in less butts in seats and more of a TV audience.
100%. I liken the current state of college football to someone like me vacationing in... well, pretty much anywhere these days. I may be able to spend a weekend every now and then living that life, but I can't afford it long term

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
100%. I liken the current state of college football to someone like me vacationing in... well, pretty much anywhere these days. I may be able to spend a weekend every now and then living that life, but I can't afford it long term
Yeah, and a lot of that will depend on winning. But for most programs, it's going to be your rich folks in premium seats, and your students. The rest will fluctuate based on how good the team is.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Yes. Because everyone is gonna share 22 mill. So NIL is where you will win the portal/recruits.
Does anyone know how the 22 million works? Is it all athletes in the university receiving some amount of money or only allocated to certain sports and equal or unequal amounts to different sports or players within the sports? I don't see how any of this works out.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'd be curious to know how much money that once went to the BDC now goes to NIL. BDC has to be hurting compared to five years ago. Add in the people who are just fed up with the whole thing and quit writing the checks completely and I'd imagine the BDC's budget has shrunk tremendously.
I got an email about a week or two ago w/ I believe it was 4 new employees. That could mean the dough is rolling in, OR, it could mean the phones aren't ringing and they are going to be beating the bushes hard for $$$

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
I got an email about a week or two ago w/ I believe it was 4 new employees. That could mean the dough is rolling in, OR, it could mean the phones aren't ringing and they are going to be beating the bushes hard for $$$
Vaguely remember a post of one of the new people's Instagram in here, she has bony elbows****

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
We have the smallest living alumni group in the conference and we're in MS. It's numbers game we can't win. Percentage wise, our giving is on par. Money-wise, it's simply not possible to do what the big boys are doing. Just have to do the best we can.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We have the smallest living alumni group in the conference and we're in MS. It's numbers game we can't win. Percentage wise, our giving is on par. Money-wise, it's simply not possible to do what the big boys are doing. Just have to do the best we can.
Just have to do what has been successful in the past. Identify the overlooked kids. They give you a hometown discount on NIL when they develop.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
This popped up on my social media today. Haven't seen it discussed here yet. You can learn more here:

1) Glad to see our Athletic Director being in front of the curve on giving.
2) Obviously targeted towards "high-level" donors.
3) Curious if this has anything to do with the new "requirement" to share TV revenues with athletes (can't call them student-athletes any more).

Thoughts?
The email I got was addressed to me as “Dear ,”.

I didn’t read the rest.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Same. How do you mess that up.

Hint: it’s because you don’t care about the details
I do give him credit for having some fundraising initiative. But his priorities are in the wrong place. He’s still doing very little to encourage NIL donations.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login