Crystal Grille In Greenwood Closing

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Sad to hear it. Time marches on...

I know it's been through many trials, but it's impressive that Weidmann's in Meridian has continually found new blood to keep it going.

And it looks like the Mayflower in Jackson is reopening with new owners.

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
I think everyone knew this was coming at some point, with nobody in the family willing and able to take it on. It's still a sad thing to see, though. I have probably eaten at the Crystal Grill more than any other one restaurant on the planet. You don't see to many restaurants that serve veal anymore. Their veal cutlets are probably in my top 5 favorite menu items anywhere.

Last edited:

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I've eaten in very nice places in NYC, Nawlins, San Fran , Lima Peru...etc.. I would put The Crystal up against any and I'm a nutrition nerd. Their Grilled fish and turnip greens were awesome. I remember as a kid my Dad having to slide his membership card to get us in. (For those who remember some of the not so pleasant aspects of those times.).

Arent there still some damn good ones still in Greenwood though that keep the town special? I remember Luscos (sp?) too. It still there?

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I miss Lusco’s

Yep.

I'm not posting this to disparage Lusco's. We all know our history in this state. Just figure a few folks here may not know this story...

From Wikipedia...

"In 1965, Booker Wright appeared in Mississippi: A Self Portrait, a short NBC television documentary about racism in the American South. During his interview with producer Frank De Felitta, he spoke openly about racism, and his treatment as a waiter in an all-white restaurant. The broadcast of his remarks had catastrophic consequences for Wright."

Reactions: dorndawg

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Yep.

I'm not posting this to disparage Lusco's. We all know our history in this state. Just figure a few folks here may not know this story...

From Wikipedia...

"In 1965, Booker Wright appeared in Mississippi: A Self Portrait, a short NBC television documentary about racism in the American South. During his interview with producer Frank De Felitta, he spoke openly about racism, and his treatment as a waiter in an all-white restaurant. The broadcast of his remarks had catastrophic consequences for Wright."

Nice, that you would bring in a video, made 58 years ago.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Yep.

From Wikipedia...

Wow. I recognize that language, attitude, and treatment booker describes. Wow.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Lusco's is also closed now. They had some great dishes, but they were hit and miss for the last ten years or so. CG was always consistent and always really good.

Still some fine places to eat in Greenwood and in nearby Delta towns, but there will never be another Crystal Grill.

Don't know the story, I'm assuming the ownership was older and any offspring had already left the area or just didn't want the hassle of running such an operation.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
What is the state of Greenwood economically right now? I know Viking sold a while ago. Are they still a presence there?

Reactions: Anon1704414204

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The economy is crushing restaurants. If the current conditions continue you’ll see more of this going forward esp in niche markets (like the delta) and esp high-end fine dining.

Maybe it's just my curmudgeoness, but I rarely eat a meal out anymore where I feel like I got good value for the money. Basically never at the higher price points.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
What is the state of Greenwood economically right now? I know Viking sold a while ago. Are they still a presence there?
Would be interested to know as well. I talk to my farmer fairly often. There's still a good bit of wealthy people there. I wonder if Jim Gallagher still lives on The Boulevard.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Maybe it's just my curmudgeoness, but I rarely eat a meal out anymore where I feel like I got good value for the money. Basically never at the higher price points.
I agree overall that eating out is often not fun these days, and certainly isn't a very good value proposition. However I've found that *some* higher-end places are still doing a great job. Or maybe it's me, and I'd rather have 1 very good meal out and a sammich at home, versus dining out twice or whatever at a mediocre place.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
That’s the biggest challenge in the industry rn. Covid created a labor crunch. Every CFA in the county is understaffed and some markets start at $19hr full-time. Think about it, CFA is hiring pimple faced teenagers with no experience at $15hr and can’t find enough help… Then add the insane price of food increase and there is your problem. I know the gov’t releases detailed CPI data but the food part has always been BS. Food is 20% more expensive minimum & that includes regular Joe grocery shopping. Let’s say you’re a restaurant that did $4M a year pre-covid with a $1M payroll & $1M grocery/supply bill. Now both of those cost are $1.25 & sales are down 15% so you’re doing $3.4M. That math don’t math and it ain’t mathing for many.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
I agree overall that eating out is often not fun these days, and certainly isn't a very good value proposition. However I've found that *some* higher-end places are still doing a great job. Or maybe it's me, and I'd rather have 1 very good meal out and a sammich at home, versus dining out twice or whatever at a mediocre place.

Fast food cheeseburger & fries at $9 is fine, at $12 it’s disappointing.
The deli that served sandwhich/salad/tea combo for $12 is great, at $18 it’s meh.
The local fish house that was $13 a catfish platter 4 years ago was fun, at $21 not so much.
The Mexican joint that a family of 5 could have margs, queso, & a meal for $60 tip included is now $73 pre tip.

Your point is valid. That said, I hope everyone understands it’s not the restaurants fault. It’s the governments fault. They have totally screwed us since 2020.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Fast food cheeseburger & fries at $9 is fine, at $12 it’s disappointing.
The deli that served sandwhich/salad/tea combo for $12 is great, at $18 it’s meh.
The local fish house that was $13 a catfish platter 4 years ago was fun, at $21 not so much.
The Mexican joint that a family of 5 could have margs, queso, & a meal for $60 tip included is now $73 pre tip.

Your point is valid. That said, I hope everyone understands it’s not the restaurants fault. It’s the governments fault. They have totally screwed us since 2020.
Call me old-fashioned but if I'm eating at the restaurant and it's shittty for whatever reason, that is the restaurant's fault.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
They are building a brand new building and opening in Taylor, MS in the Plein Air Development. About a pitching wedge from Taylor Grocery.
The one cool thing about Taylor is how undeveloped it is. Or I guess was, I haven't been in a long time. Bummer.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
That’s the biggest challenge in the industry rn. Covid created a labor crunch. Every CFA in the county is understaffed and some markets start at $19hr full-time. Think about it, CFA is hiring pimple faced teenagers with no experience at $15hr and can’t find enough help… Then add the insane price of food increase and there is your problem. I know the gov’t releases detailed CPI data but the food part has always been BS. Food is 20% more expensive minimum & that includes regular Joe grocery shopping. Let’s say you’re a restaurant that did $4M a year pre-covid with a $1M payroll & $1M grocery/supply bill. Now both of those cost are $1.25 & sales are down 15% so you’re doing $3.4M. That math don’t math and it ain’t mathing for many.
There was a discussion on here a while back about the impact of raising minimum wage. Some argued that it didn't have any real impact. I think this thread would say that it does. Raising entry level fast food pay to closer to what full time industrial positions pay drive the cost of food up more than the industrial pay increases and something has gotta give.

Printing money and killing the value of a dollar is also a major killer of the mom and pop operations.

The old movie Demolition Man may have been more prophetic that we realized. For those that don't remember, Taco Bell was the only restaurant in the future - all of the others went out of business.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
There was a discussion on here a while back about the impact of raising minimum wage. Some argued that it didn't have any real impact. I think this thread would say that it does. Raising entry level fast food pay to closer to what full time industrial positions pay drive the cost of food up more than the industrial pay increases and something has gotta give.

Printing money and killing the value of a dollar is also a major killer of the mom and pop operations.

The old movie Demolition Man may have been more prophetic that we realized. For those that don't remember, Taco Bell was the only restaurant in the future - all of the others went out of business.
Acknowledging groceries have also risen in price, I can't help but imagine this will lead to folks cooking at home more. It's honestly not that difficult, and as referenced in this thread it is increasingly a better experience, not to mention (usually) more nutritious and way more bang for your buck.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
The one cool thing about Taylor is how undeveloped it is. Or I guess was, I haven't been in a long time. Bummer.
If you haven’t been in the last 5 years you should take a ride. There are about 100 residential roof tops now and they have added a small grocery store with a deli that has great sandwiches. A coffee shop. Grit restaurant is good. It’s worth a drive if you’re around Oxford or live within an hour.

Reactions: dorndawg

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010

Covid basically artificially raised it. No one pays 7.25. No one. Talked to a friend who runs a local municipality parks & rec division who hires HS kids every summer. They pay $10 and it’s killing then because they can’t get anyone because the kids can make more anywhere else.

Double Dawg

Mar 3, 2008
Covid basically artificially raised it. No one pays 7.25. No one. Talked to a friend who runs a local municipality parks & rec division who hires HS kids every summer. They pay $10 and it’s killing then because they can’t get anyone because the kids can make more anywhere else.

My kid is getting paid over $13 per hour for a part time job at a movie theater.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login