Crystal Grille In Greenwood Closing

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
I also wonder if at least some (if not a lot) of the appeal isn't the history and funky characteristics of "the original". Lusco's, Chrechale's, Mayflower, Beechwood, Doe's, etc. Do those pies just not taste quite as good if you're sitting in Madison in a strip mall versus downtown Greenwood.

I was going to use Doe's as an example of trying to expand and failing but I see there are a number of them scattered about. I haven't made it yet but when I go, I'm going to Greenville as much for the experience as the food. Anyone eaten at the original and one of the franchises for a comparison?
The Doe's franchises are hit or miss as far as the steaks go. The menu items are not consistent. Don't even think about trying the tamales outside of the Greenville original.

As far as the pies from the Crystal - they are just good pies. They would taste good wherever you eat them. The Butter Pecan Ice Cream pie probably my favorite desert - from anywhere - home or in a restaurant. That recipe was actually carryover from Yianni''s. That is something I will probably never have / find anywhere else again. The coconut cream pie can't be replicated.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I was going to use Doe's as an example of trying to expand and failing but I see there are a number of them scattered about. I haven't made it yet but when I go, I'm going to Greenville as much for the experience as the food. Anyone eaten at the original and one of the franchises for a comparison?
I've eaten at the Greenville location a couple of times. They are known for steaks, steaks are by far the easiest "high end" entree to cook at home. I don't see the appeal. Calling the Greenville location a dump would be an understatement.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It's really easy to rationalize. The biggest grocery chain in America is Walmart - by far. They make it very difficult for competing chains to operate and practically impossible for smaller market chains and and locally owned grocers. They can set prices wherever they damn well please. They can use the prices to put the pinch or competitors and still turn a very handsome profit.

Like shooting fish in a barrel.

They won't bring the prices back down as long as we keep buying.

Grow your own garden and stop buying groceries you don't really need. Support your local grocer whenever possible. Of course, most Mississippians really don't shop for food outside of Walmart and Dollar General.

I've never understood the Wal-Mart hate so many seem to have, unless they happened to hasten the demise of a business you were close to.

They do what they do extremely well. And it's good for a lot of consumers.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I also wonder if at least some (if not a lot) of the appeal isn't the history and funky characteristics of "the original". Lusco's, Chrechale's, Mayflower, Beechwood, Doe's, etc. Do those pies just not taste quite as good if you're sitting in Madison in a strip mall versus downtown Greenwood.

That's definitely some of the appeal, but I think a bigger part of it is the reason they can provide so much value is they've been in a paid off location for a long time.

Haven't been to Lusco's or Crystal or Mayflower in a while, but when I have eaten there, nothing was world class. But everything was at least good and mostly very good and cheap for the quality you are getting.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I've never understood the Wal-Mart hate so many seem to have, unless they happened to hasten the demise of a business you were close to.

They do what they do extremely well. And it's good for a lot of consumers.
It's fantastic for consumers. It's just bad for the economy, particularly local economies.

Most consumers don't realize how money spent with their locally-owned businesses circulate several times within the local economy. Money spent at Walmart goes right into the pockets of the Walton Family and their shareholders.

Not saying that Walmart stores aren't charitable or supportive of the local community. Some choose to be, but all can damn well afford to be.

Reactions: She Mate Me

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Money spent at Walmart goes right into the pockets of the Walton Family and their shareholders.
You realize Walmarks has hundreds of local employees who are likely better paid and have better benefits than employees of mom and pop grocery stores? The money they make is circulated back to the local community as is the sales tax they rake in. I'm not even a WM shopper and hate that i have to bring in common sense.

Think about it this way, before WM a woman with no education or real skills may have worked at a local store for 40 years never earning much more than minimum wage with no benefits. Today, that same woman can go to work for WM and work her way in a near 6 figure job with benefits/retirement.

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It's fantastic for consumers. It's just bad for the economy, particularly local economies.

Most consumers don't realize how money spent with their locally-owned businesses circulate several times within the local economy. Money spent at Walmart goes right into the pockets of the Walton Family and their shareholders.

Not saying that Walmart stores aren't charitable or supportive of the local community. Some choose to be, but all can damn well afford to be.

I get what you're saying, but is the Wal-Mart model worse on a local economy than the trend of Amazon delivering toiletries to your door?

I'll admit I haven't dug into the economics of it, but I kinda thought the Wal-Mart model of getting items to consumers was near the efficiency maximum.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I get what you're saying, but is the Wal-Mart model worse on a local economy than the trend of Amazon delivering toiletries to your door?

I'll admit I haven't dug into the economics of it, but I kinda thought the Wal-Mart model of getting items to consumers was near the efficiency maximum.
The Devil down the street and the Devil who delivers.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login