Curiosity question for all you olds (40 something +)

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I just realized that I'm now older than basically everyone who is still playing sports. Has this actively played into your care level dropping? When I was younger it seemed like there were still tons of olds coming to games and tailgates. Nowadays, it seems like they are bailing left and right. Obviously I think NIL and TV (basically the weather) has contributed to more leaving, but is anyone having this issue? I am feeling it big time. Not that am anti-younger generation, I'm actually the opposite. And I realize that as soon as I left college, all college players became younger than me. But out-living the pro players is a little sobering.

Mid-life crisis? I guess the coaches are still old, and definitely the suits that are making dumb TV decisions.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
infomercial movement GIF

SCIATICA!!!

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I just realized that I'm now older than basically everyone who is still playing sports. Has this actively played into your care level dropping? When I was younger it seemed like there were still tons of olds coming to games and tailgates. Nowadays, it seems like they are bailing left and right. Obviously I think NIL and TV (basically the weather) has contributed to more leaving, but is anyone having this issue? I am feeling it big time. Not that am anti-younger generation, I'm actually the opposite. And I realize that as soon as I left college, all college players became younger than me. But out-living the pro players is a little sobering.

Mid-life crisis? I guess the coaches are still old, and definitely the suits that are making dumb TV decisions.
Is it possible the people you see don’t look as old as they did when you were young?

I don’t go, but it has nothing to do with players and more to do with the convenience and the $1200 hotel rooms. I still care a great deal though.

I’ve never been one that went to pro games.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023

My care level dropped as my work load, and family responsibilities grew. Realized, how much it really mattered in the grand scheme of things. I still love MSU and want to win, it's just much lower on the priority list now.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I was in the same Freshman class as Clark and Palmeiro When Will Clark retired, I realized my dream of being a major leaguer was truly over.

I still love college sports as much as ever, but at this age I realize time is precious, and I can't spend all of it attending ball games. I am a little envious of my friends who do

My image of college athletes has changed a little. They used to be my heroes. Now I just admire their skill and (hopefully) the way they conduct themselves. I want them to be good heroes for the younger folks.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023

I pay attention to it more with Major League Baseball since there are a lot more that play into their late 30s and 40s. It seems that in the NFL these days, most players, unless they are a superstar, are out of the league by the time their first contract is up.

I'm 49 and it still makes me feel weird when you think of a guy in MLB as being "old" like a Charlie Morton, Verlander, Wainwright, etc. and they are only 38-42.

As for college football I think the "care" is pretty damn high in my age group. We all grew up as young kids in the 80s when football at MSU and OM were not given any respect, and then the 90s shifted greatly with the expansion of the SEC and more $$. We've all lived our adult fan lives on the internet and message boards and have access to all the info we want.

It's the cost and the other things that keep me away much more than when I was a new graduate with season tix. There's so much more to do. Every game is on TV or on demand when you want to watch it. I still have high schoolers that play their own sports. I still care and I have passion for it still. Just not as much as i did in my 20s. Back in the 90s we had a little hope. Now, with the Bama and Georgia machines we don't have a shot.

kired

Aug 22, 2008

No, I realized this 8-9 years ago at an MLB game - AJ Burnett was the only player on either team older than me (and I was only mid-30s at the time). But now I don't pay any attention. Maybe knowing a few people my age whose kids are playing / have played college ball has gotten me more used to it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I remember 40...vaguely.

Just wait until all the rock stars you listened to over the years start dropping dead and you realize they are approximately your age. :oops:
That's even worse. The music today (in my opinion) is horrific. Yeah, yeah, I heard the same things from my parents, so I'm not trying to argue when age was better. I'm simply saying, music is even more pronounced than sports.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I was in the same Freshman class as Clark and Palmeiro When Will Clark retired, I realized my dream of being a major leaguer was truly over.
I share a birthday with a fairly prominent former major leaguer-- we were born on the same day and year-- so naturally he had to be on my fantasy baseball teams. He was productive for several seasons.

I don't think I've played fantasy baseball since he retired.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The crowd looks younger because you are getting older. It's most likely the same crowd age wise. My interest has never diminished until just recently, and then only a little so far. This NIL and free transfer business is giving me reason not to watch college sports though. College sports always at least had the illusion that it was different than pro ball. That illusion is about gone. I can see myself getting to the point where I will say something like, "If I want to watch pro ball I'll watch the real thing."

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
As for college football I think the "care" is pretty damn high in my age group. We all grew up as young kids in the 80s when football at MSU and OM were not given any respect, and then the 90s shifted greatly with the expansion of the SEC and more $$. We've all lived our adult fan lives on the internet and message boards and have access to all the info we want.
You've probably seen me mention on here many times that the 90s and 00s were the golden era of college football, and to drive that down further, really the late 90s and 00s. We had the two-pronged monster of the BCS which gave us a champ and bowls that mattered - but the big kicker - the internet. That's when following recruiting exploded. Before that, I was reading Dawg's Bite with my grandfather (who never grew out of it, he loved it until his death).

Had it continued like that, I'd have probably been into forever. But the conference realignment in 2011, de-emphasizing of rivalries, the playoff era, then ultimately NIL and the immediately eligibility portal really just did a number on it. Now we have this new realignment that makes no sense at all, when it comes to the good of the game. There's just no idealism there anymore, no feel-good stories that can be made into 30 for 30s one day. It just all.....sucks.

Reactions: 60sdog

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
This is my opinion and mine alone and I comparing present times to the past 30+ years. The university hounds the **** out of you with phone calls and e-mail trying to get you to buy tickets while the game day staff and athletic department does everything they can to discourage you from attending sporting events. They want me to write that check but don’t dare inconvenience them by attending a game.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

I don't notice as many people older than me at tailgates anymore. But a lot of them are dead or getting too old to watch in person comfortably.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The crowd looks younger because you are getting older. It's most likely the same crowd age wise. My interest has never diminished until just recently, and then only a little so far. This NIL and free transfer business is giving me reason not to watch college sports though. College sports always at least had the illusion that it was different than pro ball. That illusion is about gone. I can see myself getting to the point where I will say something like, "If I want to watch pro ball I'll watch the real thing."
Correct. I remember when I was in school, all my groups' parents would come by the tailgate, and we would say stuff like "When are the oldsters going to leave so we can party?" and "Why are all these 45 year olds still hanging out after the game and drinking all our beer?" etc.

Now I laugh at myself for thinking 45 was old, and I laugh at my kids as I chug beers at their tailgate.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
You've probably seen me mention on here many times that the 90s and 00s were the golden era of college football, and to drive that down further, really the late 90s and 00s. We had the two-pronged monster of the BCS which gave us a champ and bowls that mattered - but the big kicker - the internet. That's when following recruiting exploded. Before that, I was reading Dawg's Bite with my grandfather (who never grew out of it, he loved it until his death).

Had it continued like that, I'd have probably been into forever. But the conference realignment in 2011, de-emphasizing of rivalries, the playoff era, then ultimately NIL and the immediately eligibility portal really just did a number on it. Now we have this new realignment that makes no sense at all, when it comes to the good of the game. There's just no idealism there anymore, no feel-good stories that can be made into 30 for 30s one day. It just all.....sucks.
I think late 90’s was the golden era of college football for you. I’m assuming that is when you went to State. If you ask me the most excited I have ever been at a game it’s 94 Tennessee because that was my first game as a Freshman at State and it was an incredible day. Is that game in the top 5 of significant games in MS State history? No. But subjectively it was one of my favorites. I’ll agree the bowl season isn’t as exciting now but the regular season is just as good to me. Hell it’s better. In the late 90’s if I wasn’t a student at our game I might be able to watch 4 SEC games and as much as I loved Jack, I wouldn’t be able to watch our games some weekends. Now I can watch any college football game that I want.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I am not sure it is just the age difference that has me not as intense about sport as it is the things that come with age. Being married with kids I place them at a higher priority. If my mom needs me to do something for her that is a higher priority. Plus, with age just comes a realization on what is truly important in life. I still love watching MSU football and I try to make it a point to watch all of those games, but the other sports are not must see tv for me any more.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think late 90’s was the golden era of college football for you. I’m assuming that is when you went to State. If you ask me the most excited I have ever been at a game it’s 94 Tennessee because that was my first game as a Freshman at State and it was an incredible day. Is that game in the top 5 of significant games in MS State history? No. But subjectively it was one of my favorites. I’ll agree the bowl season isn’t as exciting now but the regular season is just as good to me. Hell it’s better. In the late 90’s if I wasn’t a student at our game I might be able to watch 4 SEC games and as much as I loved Jack, I wouldn’t be able to watch our games some weekends. Now I can watch any college football game that I want.
I can certainly see that it looks that way, but trust me, I've been obsessed with college sports since the late 80s. I'm at least trying to objective.

I don't think TV is the biggest problem here. Whether we watch at home or not doesn't matter, because there will always be 'enough' people at the games. So TV didn't ruin it. We could still have the awesome product now even on TV.

I don't even think it was conference realignment, that can be worked around.

I think it was the 4-team playoff, and the apathy for the bowls it created, which led to players sitting out. They should have just went directly to 12 or 16.

NIL is the same thing. Going to it so long after the fact, coupled with the portal. Should have been implemented in 1982.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I think I just value my weekend time more than I did before. I can watch the game on TV and spend 3 hours and $0 or I can go in person, get there unreasonably early to find a place to park, hang out all day long, spend a bucket full of money and then fight traffic to get out and back home just to be bone tired going into Sunday, with Monday just sitting there mocking me from my future.

ETA: You've clearly mellowed on a lot of things given that you don't get banned on SPS any longer either.***

Last edited:

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

G0 LIVE YOUR LIFE. THERES ENOUGH TIME LATER ON TO BE WATCHING & ATTENDING YAWNER &TATE GAMES, BEING GRAY & SLOW, SMELLING LIKE AN UNHOLY SCENT OF BORBON AND ICY HOT

LISTEN TO BPM ON XM DAILY
STAY AWAY FROM AARP
STOP WATCHING ESPN FOR ANALYSIS

THATS JUST THE BEGINNING

Reactions: dorndawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Convenience makes a difference for me. TV has made it easy not to go to games. Everything is televised or on the app. Seats are smaller but I'm also larger and it's not as fun sifting through crowds any more.

As far as care, I used to get a lot more pumped preseason but I think Moorhead and some of leach killed that just personalities of not being as much rah rah and anticipation. Nobody has really expected us to be very good either in conference in what 5 years? We have finished with 9 wins though. Had leach lived there might have been more anticipation this year. With arnett he says the right things but no background as a head coach and not very splashy to get fans excited. He may be after this year, just too much unknown about him and this new offense.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I can certainly see that it looks that way, but trust me, I've been obsessed with college sports since the late 80s. I'm at least trying to objective.

I don't think TV is the biggest problem here. Whether we watch at home or not doesn't matter, because there will always be 'enough' people at the games. So TV didn't ruin it. We could still have the awesome product now even on TV.

I don't even think it was conference realignment, that can be worked around.

I think it was the 4-team playoff, and the apathy for the bowls it created, which led to players sitting out. They should have just went directly to 12 or 16.

NIL is the same thing. Going to it so long after the fact, coupled with the portal. Should have been implemented in 1982.
I think it’s the dynasties and concentration of talent that hurt the overall product. From a State perspective it really sucks over the last decade. Not only do we go into the season knowing we aren’t going to win a NC, we aren’t winning our conference, hell we aren’t winning our division unless Bama slips up and loses two which it does 10% of the time.

NIl/transfer really hasn’t affected State yet. People act like we are going to have completely turned over rosters year after year and the only players that would be making an impact this year are DJ and Rara. If Robinson has 60 catches for 1200 yards this year I doubt people will be hand wringing about him being a transfer. Of course we are the exception l can imagine NC State fans probably became more apathetic after losing a Star QB for no other reason than he got a better offer.

Like I said, my week to week experience is better now. With more games to catch, offensive innovations and deeper talent pools every Saturday has excitement. Whether it’s App State beating A&M or Ole Miss and Arkansas having a 17 OT game that is decided by a football hitting a bird, or whatever insanity that series will bring next.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I think it varies person to person. I'm fresh out of college (graduated in May) and just got married. I'll still attend all of the games I can go to, but there are more things now that I would consider grave enough to keep me from going to games. In high school and early college, come hell or high water I wouldn't miss a football game and wouldn't miss many home baseball games. Nowadays not as much. I'm still just as interested but there are other things in life that are just more important to me. That being said, I plan on being at every single basketball game this year. Them boys are up to something.

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
I did the tailgate thing while my sister was in school in Starkville but now as we’ve gotten older the idea of going up there and getting in the middle of it makes me quiver. Now, give me my own tv, grill, my space and quicker access to the bathroom and I’m good!

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
All I know is every time I run into someone I knew when I was in school, they look old, and I say to myself "I hope I don't look that old".
I'm 69 and run into people I should know but haven't seen them in so long I don't even recognize them. Luckily I'm well preserved and they recognize me. ;) As far as my care level goes for today's game.....yes it has dropped a lot over the years. I still watch State on tv but never go to games anymore. Just too big of a hassle.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006

When my son quit playing college ball in 2012, my desire to go to games plummeted and I really don't know why. We went to a State game or two in the 2015-16 seasons but just got tired of the hassles with traffic, parking, crowds, etc. Plus, we began enjoying other things. Nowadays I may watch a complete game on a gameday weekend but that's about it.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
That's even worse. The music today (in my opinion) is horrific. Yeah, yeah, I heard the same things from my parents, so I'm not trying to argue when age was better. I'm simply saying, music is even more pronounced than sports.
Don't let the Tay Tay fanatics hear you say that.

Truth is, we are in a golden age of metal coming out of Europe right now.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Not at all. As a Six Packer, I wake up every morning fully aware that I know more about sports than the players and coaches. It's a good feeling.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Don't let the Tay Tay fanatics hear you say that.

Truth is, we are in a golden age of metal coming out of Europe right now.

???

Care to share this Euro Metal? When I hear that I think of GWAR, ManOWar, Lordi, The Darkness, etc. None of which, are new.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
???

Care to share this Euro Metal? When I hear that I think of GWAR, ManOWar, Lordi, The Darkness, etc. None of which, are new.
A lot of this may be new to me more than new. Heck I just discovered Sabaton 4-5 years ago. But Unleash the Archers I like. Ignea, Frozen Crown, Jinger. Those usually get me started on a youtube rabbithole.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login