Curiosity question for all you olds (40 something +)

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I just realized that I'm now older than basically everyone who is still playing sports. Has this actively played into your care level dropping? When I was younger it seemed like there were still tons of olds coming to games and tailgates. Nowadays, it seems like they are bailing left and right. Obviously I think NIL and TV (basically the weather) has contributed to more leaving, but is anyone having this issue? I am feeling it big time. Not that am anti-younger generation, I'm actually the opposite. And I realize that as soon as I left college, all college players became younger than me. But out-living the pro players is a little sobering.

Mid-life crisis? I guess the coaches are still old, and definitely the suits that are making dumb TV decisions.

There are a number of factors that contribute to my decline in interest. NIL and, more importantly the prevalence of the transfer portal, definitely play a big part. It's hard to invest interest in players that can move from school to school with zero repercussions. At least prior to the portal a player had to get a waiver to avoid the 1 year penalty. Now we have LSU buying Alabama's ace pitcher and that is business as usual.

Combine that with the absolute pussification of the NCAA when it comes to penalizing proven cheaters (See Bruce Pearl getting caught cheating yet again and getting off with an even lighter punishment) and it's just hard to care.

Then you factor in now I've got a house, wife, career and kid and I'm left severely lacking in 17s to dole out about who's rented mule did what.

Reactions: dorndawg and HRMSU

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I was in the same Freshman class as Clark and Palmeiro When Will Clark retired, I realized my dream of being a major leaguer was truly over.

I still love college sports as much as ever, but at this age I realize time is precious, and I can't spend all of it attending ball games. I am a little envious of my friends who do

My image of college athletes has changed a little. They used to be my heroes. Now I just admire their skill and (hopefully) the way they conduct themselves. I want them to be good heroes for the younger folks.
I heard Walley say something about how he didn’t want to slip up this year because he didn’t want the younger guys to follow him down the wrong path. That made me like him even more.

I’m not a fanatic anymore because I realize I’m the hero in my household and I have to set a great example for my kids. My main hero died when my Dad did. Football seems small now, but I still really enjoy it.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
I just realized that I'm now older than basically everyone who is still playing sports. Has this actively played into your care level dropping? When I was younger it seemed like there were still tons of olds coming to games and tailgates. Nowadays, it seems like they are bailing left and right. Obviously I think NIL and TV (basically the weather) has contributed to more leaving, but is anyone having this issue? I am feeling it big time. Not that am anti-younger generation, I'm actually the opposite. And I realize that as soon as I left college, all college players became younger than me. But out-living the pro players is a little sobering.

Mid-life crisis? I guess the coaches are still old, and definitely the suits that are making dumb TV decisions.
Just turned 57 and go to every home football game and probably 90% of home baseball games. I do only live 10 minutes from campus though. My sports-watching habits on tv haven't really changed in 20 years. NFL, college football, college baseball, MSU basketball. I quit watching the NBA when Bird and Magic retired and dropped MLB after their last strike.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
You've probably seen me mention on here many times that the 90s and 00s were the golden era of college football, and to drive that down further, really the late 90s and 00s. We had the two-pronged monster of the BCS which gave us a champ and bowls that mattered - but the big kicker - the internet. That's when following recruiting exploded. Before that, I was reading Dawg's Bite with my grandfather (who never grew out of it, he loved it until his death).

Had it continued like that, I'd have probably been into forever. But the conference realignment in 2011, de-emphasizing of rivalries, the playoff era, then ultimately NIL and the immediately eligibility portal really just did a number on it. Now we have this new realignment that makes no sense at all, when it comes to the good of the game. There's just no idealism there anymore, no feel-good stories that can be made into 30 for 30s one day. It just all.....sucks.

Two things can be true at the same time. The college game is better for some players and worse for some fans. I generally support the former but am a member of the latter. Maybe that's the only way the new version of the model works.

I mean horse racing used to have a huge national following and baseball was the National pastime but those days have changed so I'm trying to learn about this sport called non-American football or soccer. I hear it's all the rage with the Youth.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Two things can be true at the same time. The college game is better for some players and worse for some fans. I generally support the former but am a member of the latter. Maybe that's the only way the new version of the model works.

I mean horse racing used to have a huge national following and baseball was the National pastime but those days have changed so I'm trying to learn about this sport called non-American football or soccer. I hear it's all the rage with the Youth.
It’s a dumb game. If they eliminate the offside rule, there would be so much more scoring , especially by the teams with the fastest forwards! 😳

Reactions: HRMSU

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
I enjoy the actual game more and the experience less as I get older. I enjoyed college football weekends, including bars, tailgates, young ladies, etc., in my 20s and 30s. I enjoyed taking my 3 boys in my 30s and 40s. Now I just enjoy watching the game in my 50s. Live once a year is a sweet spot for me, otherwise I prefer my own living room.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Interest has always and continues to be high with me. However, attendance dropped after kids were born and continued to be low to allow me to be involved in their activities until they enrolled at State. Since then we attend all home football games and most weekend baseball series. That may take a step down after they all graduate, but I'll have to be at death's door to miss an Egg Bowl in person. This year will be my 47th consecutive and my son's 16th. I must enjoy the toxicity.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I remember 40...vaguely.

Just wait until all the rock stars you listened to over the years start dropping dead and you realize they are approximately your age. :oops:
What gave me that "kicked in the gut - dang I must be old" feeling is hearing the music that would make up the soundtrack of my life at State on the classic rock station.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I tried too, on the soccer. But you know what I found out? They still don't watch it. They play it (mainly because it's accessible to the middle class if you're willing to pay) but they are still watching football (more NFL than college).

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

We were Club Level fans for 14 years. We took our RV to games and tailgated in the RV parking lot. It was a lot of fun but the prices kept increasing. My wife's eyesight started deteriorating to the point she preferred the games on TV. When you think the trade off is a nice vacation or season tickets it gets real. We enjoyed the years at the games but tailgating on our deck and watching the games on a 4k 70" TV has been a lot of fun.
With that said, there is nothing like being in Davis Wade stadium on a crisp autumn day listening to the cowbells ring in unison. I'm happy for all of you that will be attending the games.
We have since started attending other sports at State. Softball has become one of our favorites after baseball and basketball.
BTW, we don't watch any pro sports. Don't have the time and aren't interested. Never really followed recruiting that much either. I have an, "It is what it is" attitude. Bummer gonna get the cream the rest we all fight over.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I tried too, on the soccer. But you know what I found out? They still don't watch it. They play it (mainly because it's accessible to the middle class if you're willing to pay) but they are still watching football (more NFL than college).

Yep, my college age son loves NFL and if he's not watching his team he watches the Red Zone channel. The Youths seem to be more into players than teams. I guess that's what growing up during the explosion of Fantasy Football, Sunday Ticket/Red Zone and now Draft Kings has given us.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It's not an age thing for me, or the age of the players. It's an attitude thing from the players that has pushed me away. I don't like the drama that starts w/ recruiting high school players (or now even before that, see "Hartfield"), then you've got the hat switch, the transfer portal, the NIL, the "after thoughtful consideration", "blessed, "respect my decision", conferences being dissolved in the name of television, blah blah blah make me puke. Then in pro sports you had the Kaepernick drama, patches on helmets and jerseys, players beating wives/partners, wrecking expensive cars and killing people, its just a **** show and I don't need it.

I still go to campus and set up tailgate for friends family and neighbors, cook, drink beer, listen to Matt and Neil, drink beer, occasionally look at our game on satellite, drink beer, visit w/ other tailgaters from all over the place, drink beer, you get the picture. I still buy four season football tickets and give to whoever wants them but I haven't been in stadium since pre-Covid. I still go to all home baseball games. So I haven't lost my MSU love and pride, I just think the game has changed too much for me to enjoy anymore

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranchdawg

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006

1 Finite funds
2 Costs of living increase
3 Three kids 14 and under with their activities/sports bring more joy
4 TV and access anywhere
5 Athletes are mercenaries now
6 from AD/University/Alum/Fans - being mediocre-to-bad and liked is good enough
7. The tired excuse of we’re MState so we can’t attitude

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
I remember 40...vaguely.

Just wait until all the rock stars you listened to over the years start dropping dead and you realize they are approximately your age. :oops:
Approximately my age. You young whippersnappers evidently have not yet found many of them to be considerably younger than you. Getting old is tough and no place for sissies.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login