Current available coaches with a “niche” or “system” for our next head coach?

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Since we’re near the bottom I’m our conference with regards to NIL money being spent on recruits and transfers, I agree with the notion that the route we need to commit to here is a system either in one or both sides of the ball that the opposition doesn’t see every week. Similar to a Leach or naval academy approach to things. My question is, what available coaches are out there that fit this criteria?

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
Jamey chadwell is that guy. Look at his offense and defense rankings. He’s won at everywhere he’s been. He’s beat ranked teams and had costal Carolina finish 14.
What is his “niche” or “system” offensively or defensively that makes it different and difficult for others to combat week to to week? Could he be benefiting in C-USA in his first year because of Hugh Freeze’s recruits? The talent he inherited seem to be better than those he’s played so far.

Last edited:

BIGDAWG44

Aug 22, 2012
What is his “niche” or “system” offensively or defensively that makes it different and difficult for others to combat week to to week? Could he benefiting in C-USA in his first year because of Hugh Freeze’s recruits? The talent he inherited seem to be better than those he’s played so far.
I think it’s made his first year easier. Looking at his history he has a building first year then does very well the years after. His “niche” seems to be taking underrated players and having them play at a high level. In costal Carolina’s 4th year being in D1 football he beat 2 ranked teams (BYU #12 hosted game day on espnu) (@ ULL #21) and had a shot at a 3rd for a conference title but the game was cancelled because of covid. Lost to #12 liberty in the bowl game 34-37 in OT against freeze and Malik Willis. People say he created his unique offense at costal Carolina and refer to it as the chadwell spread. Lots of motion and mismatch making sprinkled with a dual threat QB.

Last edited:

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Chadwell is making 4 mill a year thru 2030. I could get behind that hire. He has won everywhere he has been except Delta State. But that was only 1 year and you are right about the second year. That's when his plan starts coming together

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Since we’re near the bottom I’m our conference with regards to NIL money being spent on recruits and transfers, I agree with the notion that the route we need to commit to here is a system either in one or both sides of the ball that the opposition doesn’t see every week. Similar to a Leach or naval academy approach to things. My question is, what available coaches are out there that fit this criteria?
This poor ol Mississippi state tske is so out dated.
Much to the dismay of others on here I got news for you our NIL isn’t last and is doing a hell of a lot better than most would like to believe. We need need more like every other team does so give if and when you can but let’s stop acting like it’s 1988.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Much to the dismay of others on here I got news for you our NIL isn’t last and is doing a hell of a lot better than most would like to believe. We need need more like every other team does so give if and when you can but let’s stop acting like it’s 1988.
It's actually not poor ol state mentality. It's taking what reality exists, and realizing that we CAN compete. I can see where it could seem that way (po lil moo u), but it's true that their are some advantages others have that we don't have. I hope you agree with that.

Last edited:

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Why? Because they are upper 50s? They are successful coaches who run schemes that would be successful with Mississippi athletes.
Do you even keep up with them or are you remembering them from a couple of good teams they had in the mid 2000s?

Neither of them develop quarterbacks. Their teams have been figured out by all the P5 teams/coaches. Their schtick is tired and outdated. Zero excitability. But let’s go ahead and hire retreads that failed at schools with more money and are more prestigious.

What excites or unites our fan base about these records?

Attachments

• IMG_6461.png
    IMG_6461.png
    493.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6462.png
    IMG_6462.png
    501.8 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: vandaldawg

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I understand Chadwell is an Uber-religious guy - not in the creepy, insincere Freeze way but a real zealot.
Expects his players to be good guys.
Not sure how that's gonna go over with players and recruits who wanna enjoy a "GOOD" time.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Gus Malzahn, Rich Rodriguez, Willie Fritz.
I can’t get behind Malzahn. UCF is in a Power 5 conference now and are 0-3 with two blowout losses and a loss to Baylor where they blew a 28-point lead. Rich Rod is more appealing. He is doing very well at Jax State after cooling his heels following his scandal and firing at Arizona.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Even if Zach doesnt win another game this season, he'll get another year. Even the scum of the earth coaches get at least 2 years. And he's nowhere near that. Talk of a new coach this year is a waste of oxygen.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It's actually not poor ol state mentality. It's taking what reality exists, and realizing that we CAN compete. I can see where it could seem that way (po lil moo u), but it's true that their are some advantages others have that we don't have. I hope you agree with that.

The only two coaches we HAVE competed pretty well with recently with did NOT run niche systems. What we actually need is someone who can run a system (and that involves a LOT more than Xs and Os) that fits well with the type of recruits we generally have access to.

Reactions: patdog

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The only two coaches we HAVE competed pretty well with recently with did NOT run niche systems. What we actually need is someone who can run a system (and that involves a LOT more than Xs and Os) that fits well with the type of recruits we generally have access to.
You forget that 9 win season or is that not “pretty well” enough?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I can’t get behind Malzahn. UCF is in a Power 5 conference now and are 0-3 with two blowout losses and a loss to Baylor where they blew a 28-point lead. Rich Rod is more appealing. He is doing very well at Jax State after cooling his heels following his scandal and firing at Arizona.
I've wanted Rich Rod for a long time. That offense smoked at West Virginia, Michigan and Ole Miss. He was good at Zona too until he started going out on his ugly wife. And like you said, looks like he still has it at Jax State.

If we hadn't beaten him in 2010, that team was going to contend for the title in 2011.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No shlt. That's what we are talking about. While Jackie and Danny were not technically 'system' coaches, they both had a plan of attack and did things a little differently. With Jackie it was the beefed up OL (and even he ran a little option) and with Danny it was the QB-centric run game in the power spread. Both things were different than what others were doing. They also both got in trouble when we deviated from it.

Not even sure what you're arguing. And last time I checked, Mike Leach had success here too and would have had much more had he lived.

Emory Bellard had success running the wishbone. Again, your point is? Obviously any coach has to have a plan for recruiting, that's a part of the scheme.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I don't understand why anytime someone mentions a disadvantage we have that is always "Oh here we go, poor old Mississippi State". To borrow an MLB term, the fact is that we are a "small market team". We objectively have less resources available than our competition. And in some cases, far less resources.

You can't get where you want to go without first understanding where you are.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Please just say no to Malzahn. GD NO!
duck dynasty GIF by A&E

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
You are looking at this wrong. We are talking about the offense here. Both Dan and Jackie won with defense. Jackie more so, but during Dan's tenure we averaged the 52nd scoring offense and the 39th scoring defense. I know that's not a huge gap, but it is also a bit skewed by having a QB talent that we may never see again.

Overall, Dan had an average offense at State. Now of course an average offense was a breath of fresh air compared to what we were used to, but the point remains. You can have your concerns about a niche offense but those two coaches as an argument against it doesn't hold water.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I hope we hire Gus so for the rest of your life you have to live with knowing what a stupid 17ing decision that was and how annoyingly often you advocated for it.
Eh, go 17 yourself. I apparently know a lot more than you about his tenure at Auburn.

And God forbid his UCF team struggle a bit while transitioning to a P5 conference before they've seen the benefits of recruiting as a P5 program.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
No shlt. That's what we are talking about. While Jackie and Danny were not technically 'system' coaches, they both had a plan of attack and did things a little differently. With Jackie it was the beefed up OL (and even he ran a little option) and with Danny it was the QB-centric run game in the power spread. Both things were different than what others were doing. They also both got in trouble when we deviated from it.

Not even sure what you're arguing. And last time I checked, Mike Leach had success here too and would have had much more had he lived.

Emory Bellard had success running the wishbone. Again, your point is? Obviously any coach has to have a plan for recruiting, that's a part of the scheme.
You are still talking Xs and Os. That's NOT the primary thing I'm talking about. Dan got it, JWS got it till near the end. MSU can attract blue collar kids that need some development. Leach might have got it, but the sample size of good seasons is too small to say.

Reactions: vandaldawg

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Jamey chadwell is that guy. Look at his offense and defense rankings. He’s won at everywhere he’s been. He’s beat ranked teams and had costal Carolina finish 14.
I was a Lance Leipold guy but Jamey Chadwell would equally be a hr hire imo

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You are still talking Xs and Os. That's NOT the primary thing I'm talking about. Dan got it, JWS got it till near the end. MSU can attract blue collar kids that need some development. Leach might have got it, but the sample size of good seasons is too small to say.
So what are you talking about, that "involves a LOT more than Xs and Os"?

Evaluating players under-the-radar guys? JUCO crootin? Portal? Spending money? I think we all understand we need a specific strategy for all that, and it's heavily dependent on what scheme we run. Not to mention it's a different era than what the Kang and Shorts coached under.

What is it that these coaches have to 'get'? And as far as Leach, I don't care if he got your little secret or not, the dude was winning games and his track record said he was going to win a lot more.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
JoeMo talked up that blue collar stuff from day 1. It's easier said than done. And to focus fully on that in today's game is a losing battle. I'm not saying player development isn't important, but we have two blue collar 3-star development guys playing for UGA and Washington right now.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
JoeMo talked up that blue collar stuff from day 1. It's easier said than done. And to focus fully on that in today's game is a losing battle. I'm not saying player development isn't important, but we have two blue collar 3-star development guys playing for UGA and Washington right now.
Exactly. That wasn't ever a possibility under Danny. I wonder how many of those guys would have bailed back in those days. I figure it's easier to keep a MS kid than not, but hey, DJ was as MSU as you can get.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Exactly. That wasn't ever a possibility under Danny. I wonder how many of those guys would have bailed back in those days. I figure it's easier to keep a MS kid than not, but hey, DJ was as MSU as you can get.
So you want no part of the only thing that has ever been proven to work at MSU, ok.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So you want no part of the only thing that has ever been proven to work at MSU, ok.
Dude, you are just being the same hard-headed a$$hole you were being during COVID now. I am asking a question, what is it you're talking about? If the answer is just to recruit MS kids and overlooked kids from surrounding states (which is what Jackie and Danny did), and develop them, then just say that.

But surely even you realize that the game has changed? Greg Favors, Preston Smith, Dak Prescott, Dillon Day, all these guys, would be under IMMENSE pressure to transfer to a blue blood (most likely their home state) nowadays. And not only that, as DJ and Tulu have proven, even our homegrown guys are looking to step out and away. So having to backfill in the portal alone, has completely changed the recruiting strategy.

JUCOs should obviously still be a huge part of our recruiting. There are still a ton of late developing kids in the MS JUCO system. That's assuming all these CoNsOlIdAtIoN folks don't get there way and close them all.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Dude, you are just being the same hard-headed a$$hole you were being during COVID now. I am asking a question, what is it you're talking about? If the answer is just to recruit MS kids and overlooked kids from surrounding states (which is what Jackie and Danny did), and develop them, then just say that.

But surely even you realize that the game has changed? Greg Favors, Preston Smith, Dak Prescott, Dillon Day, all these guys, would be under IMMENSE pressure to transfer to a blue blood (most likely their home state) nowadays. And not only that, as DJ and Tulu have proven, even our homegrown guys are looking to step out and away. So having to backfill in the portal alone, has completely changed the recruiting strategy.

JUCOs should obviously still be a huge part of our recruiting. There are still a ton of late developing kids in the MS JUCO system. That's assuming all these CoNsOlIdAtIoN folks don't get there way and close them all.
I DID say that. That was my whole point. The transfer portal hasn't changed that. We still aren't going to consistently recruit anything different. We have to work harder to keep them, but it's just fantasy land to think we will ever get anything else to begin with. THAT hasn't changed, if anything it's more so now. We aren't going to find some miracle "niche" gimmick to offset that. And if we DID, it wouldn't be niche long.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I DID say that. That was my whole point. The transfer portal hasn't changed that. We still aren't going to consistently recruit anything different. We have to work harder to keep them, but it's just fantasy land to think we will ever get anything else to begin with. THAT hasn't changed, if anything it's more so now. We aren't going to find some miracle "niche" gimmick to offset that. And if we DID, it wouldn't be niche long.
That's the whole reason to run a niche offense, it maximizes talent. Of course people will figure it out, they already have, there aren't any secrets. But we would execute it so well, that's our advantage. It takes time to implement those things. Everybody knows exactly what we were going to run with the Air Raid. Everybody knows what's coming with the service academies. Still successful, because it's different than what others do.

I can't make you understand this. You just don't like things that are different and go against the grain, we've figured that much out.

Reactions: StateCollege

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I've wanted Rich Rod for a long time. That offense smoked at West Virginia, Michigan and Ole Miss. He was good at Zona too until he started going out on his ugly wife. And like you said, looks like he still has it at Jax State.

If we hadn't beaten him in 2010, that team was going to contend for the title in 2011.

Rich Rod at Ole Miss was a failure. They went 4-8 and were worse statistically than Joe Moorhead’s offense here.

He had a losing conference record in the Big 10 and PAC 12 and wasn’t a good SEC OC. No SEC school in their right mind is ever going to hire that guy as head coach in the 2020’s.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login