Current available coaches with a “niche” or “system” for our next head coach?

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
Since we’re near the bottom I’m our conference with regards to NIL money being spent on recruits and transfers, I agree with the notion that the route we need to commit to here is a system either in one or both sides of the ball that the opposition doesn’t see every week. Similar to a Leach or naval academy approach to things. My question is, what available coaches are out there that fit this criteria?
Others have said it, but the correct answer to your question is Jamey Chadwell.

He runs a unique triple option RPO offense out of shotgun. Note the "P" in RPO... It's not all running though that is a key part of it if you don't stop the run. He gets that thing up and clicking everywhere he goes and he wins.

There are great arguments for other candidates - Herman, Lebby, etc., but if you're looking for a winning HC that has a niche system, the answer is most definitely Chadwell.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Rich Rod at Ole Miss was a failure. They went 4-8 and were worse statistically than Joe Moorhead’s offense here.

He had a losing conference record in the Big 10 and PAC 12 and wasn’t a good SEC OC. No SEC school in their right mind is ever going to hire that guy as head coach in the 2020’s.
Oh, I know they won't, because most think from a flawed viewpoint to begin with, just like you are doing here.

First, looking at the record over the whole tenure at Michigan is stupid. Totally revamped the offense, and he trended up each year, and had he come back in 2011 (Michigan brass were idiots like apparently a lot other people), they are a national title contender.

Speaking of revamping the offense, they went from the Air Raid under Longo at Ole Miss, to Rich Rod. And they were starting to roll under JRP. Failure? That's a load of horseshlt. Only reason they got fired is because of the piss and miss.

And he went to the Fiesta Bowl at Arizona. And he's winning now at Jax State.

So hey, a failure. FARRRRT

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That's the whole reason to run a niche offense, it maximizes talent. Of course people will figure it out, they already have, there aren't any secrets. But we would execute it so well, that's our advantage. It takes time to implement those things. Everybody knows exactly what we were going to run with the Air Raid. Everybody knows what's coming with the service academies. Still successful, because it's different than what others do.

I can't make you understand this. You just don't like things that are different and go against the grain, we've figured that much out.
Niche offenses are niche for a reason.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Niche offenses are niche for a reason.
No shlt. Because the teams that run them don’t have the caliber players the other teams do. DUH

Unless you have some method to get better players, we need a niche and you have no point.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No, because they don't work very well. If they worked well, they wouldn't be niche.
I’m still waiting for your new and improved recruiting plan.

Leach won. Rich Rod won. Gus won. Chadwell wins. Monken won. Kiffin wins. Shall I go on? Or will you?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I’m still waiting for your new and improved recruiting plan.

Leach won. Rich Rod won. Gus won. Chadwell wins. Monken won. Kiffin wins. Shall I go on? Or will you?
Rich Rod is where now? Gus is doing well now is he? Leach did NOT have a good offense here, it sucked as bad as what we are running now. Who and where is Chadwell? Big school? Where is Monken now? Kiffin doesn't run a niche offense.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Niche Offense
Gimmick Offense

We've seen the start of the good sense of a Niche offense. We are seeing what happens when the worst happens, and it does sometimes, no matter what. Real life sucks.

I can't deal with this mentality. Say what you want.

We have no idea what CFB will be after re-alignment and the NIL. To put all our chances on a 'gimmick' is a crock of ****.

We haven't beaten these guys straight up. I understand this as much as anyone. Who's to say we find someone new who figures out how to do it without a gimmick?

Of course, my opinion is not essential any longer.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
The only two coaches we HAVE competed pretty well with recently with did NOT run niche systems. What we actually need is someone who can run a system (and that involves a LOT more than Xs and Os) that fits well with the type of recruits we generally have access to.
Are you referring to Mullen and Jackie? Well Mullen basically ran the single wing out of the shotgun with Relf. Remember when we beat Florida at Florida and threw 5 total pass attempts? Remember when he beat ole miss running 2 plays? Yes he expanded on his niche, that’s becuse he’s a good coach, but nevertheless during mullens time with us he had a base niche system. And Jackie had a niche in his best seasons with us, it was on the defensive side of the ball. No one in the country at the time was running things the way Joe Lee Dunn ran things. Definitely not what the opposition saw every week that’s it sure. Not to mention in the early days Jackie also ran the option with Sleepy.

Last edited:
Reactions: OG Goat Holder

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Are you referring to Mullen and Jackie? Well Mullen basically ran the single wing out of the shotgun with Relf. Remember when we beat Florida at Florida and threw 5 total pass attempts? Remember when he beat ole miss running 2 plays? Yes he expanded on his niche, that’s becuse he’s a good coach, but nevertheless during mullens time with us he had a base niche system. And Jackie had a niche in his best seasons with us, it was on the defensive side of the ball. No one in the country at the time was running things the way Joe Lee Dunn ran things. Definitely not what the opposition saw every week that’s it sure. Not to mention in the early days Jackie also ran the option with Sleepy.
Mullen ran a power spread. That was not a niche offense by then. Joe Lee worked because he was unpredictable. You can do that without running a niche a niche scheme. Joe Lee also had lockdown corners to begin with. Lots of schemes work when you have those. When you get into a niche scheme one of two things happen, people figure it out and it doesn't work anymore, or everybody starts running it to an extent. Sometimes both happen like with the wishbone.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Others have said it, but the correct answer to your question is Jamey Chadwell.

He runs a unique triple option RPO offense out of shotgun. Note the "P" in RPO... It's not all running though that is a key part of it if you don't stop the run. He gets that thing up and clicking everywhere he goes and he wins.

There are great arguments for other candidates - Herman, Lebby, etc., but if you're looking for a winning HC that has a niche system, the answer is most definitely Chadwell.
Seems to me like this is the guy who would satisfy everybody. Of course, just have to know he will take a bigger job at the first chance he gets.

What's up with his time at Delta State? One season of 3-7? Did they suck before he got there?

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Two years under JWS, one under Dan, we were right there.
What? No. Our best poll finishes ever were in 1940 (9th AP), 1963 (11th Coach's), 1999 (13th AP / 12th Coach's), and 2014 (11th/12th).

In exactly zero of these seasons were we in contention for a national title. Even if we'd won out in 1999 we wouldn't have played for a title because our schedule was considered weak and we had too many come-from-behind wins.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
What? No. Our best poll finishes ever were in 1940 (9th AP), 1963 (11th Coach's), 1999 (13th AP / 12th Coach's), and 2014 (11th/12th).

In exactly zero of these seasons were we in contention for a national title. Even if we'd won out in 1999 we wouldn't have played for a title because our schedule was considered weak and we had too many come-from-behind wins.
Actually, at the time we were in contention. You are looking at post season stuff. Quit with the revisionist BS.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Actually, at the time we were in contention. You are looking at post season stuff. Quit with the revisionist BS.
You do realize that other average programs have had seasons similar to what we had in 1999 and 2014. Where they started out with 6 or 7+ wins made it to the Top 10 then crashed at the end.

Kansas State 2012 - Started 10-0, ranked #1
South Carolina 2012 - Started 6-0, ranked #3
Baylor 2013 - Started 9-0, ranked #3
Baylor 2015 - Started 8-0, ranked #4
Louisville 2016 - Started 9-1, ranked #3
Miami 2017 - Started 10-0, ranked #2
Minnesota 2019 - Started 9-0, ranked #8

Perception of our 2014 season is skewed because we were #1 for such a long time. A ranking we earned by beating highly ranked teams that turned out to not be any good. Each of these seasons are probably viewed in a similar way that we do 2014.

But if any of these fan bases were reminiscing about how they were in contention for a national championship recently, you'd laugh in their face.

vandaldawg

Feb 23, 2008
Since we’re near the bottom I’m our conference with regards to NIL money being spent on recruits and transfers, I agree with the notion that the route we need to commit to here is a system either in one or both sides of the ball that the opposition doesn’t see every week. Similar to a Leach or naval academy approach to things. My question is, what available coaches are out there that fit this criteria?
Never triple option. Never.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
You first. We weren't in contention because we never finished a season undefeated, sans 1940 (and we finished #9 in the country).

To have been in contention for a title in 2014, we would have had to make the playoffs. We didn't. And lost 3 of our last 4 games, to boot.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Here are the facts. 2014 was the only year we were truly in contention for anything, in the past 25 years, which is a good time to judge, since it's when the BCS started and it essentially the modern era of college football. If we had a 12-team playoff, we would have made it in 2014 - that's it. We would have been in contention in 1999, but we likely are left out. A few more years we had the talent necessary (1998, 2000, 2010, 2015, 2017, 2018) to be a 12-team playoff team but facts are we never got close in those years, looking at the final polls after the regular season.

So using the future playoff as a metric, we've made it 4% of the time. So as a whole, what we do doesn't work. All you can do is look at those years above and see what the common denominators were. What I see:

- Dominant, unpredictable defense
- Big time run game
- Fundamentally and physically sound

Do with this what you will, niche or not. Perhaps the answer is a niche defense? One thing is for sure, most of our recruiting efforts should be focused on that side of the ball.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You first. We weren't in contention because we never finished a season undefeated, sans 1940 (and we finished #9 in the country).

To have been in contention for a title in 2014, we would have had to make the playoffs. We didn't. And lost 3 of our last 4 games, to boot.
Dude, we were in contention till very late in the season. You know that as well as I do. Enough here.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Jamey chadwell is that guy. Look at his offense and defense rankings. He’s won at everywhere he’s been. He’s beat ranked teams and had costal Carolina finish 14.
Finished 14th, but didn't have to play Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, LSU, Ark, UK, and aTm every single year with playing UGA 3 out of the last 5 either.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
Mullen ran a power spread. That was not a niche offense by then. Joe Lee worked because he was unpredictable. You can do that without running a niche a niche scheme.
Mullen basically ran the single wing, that’s what it was at its base core plays. Everyone ran the single wing before world war 2. Now a days, and when Mullen was here, especially with Relf, our opponents didn’t see that type of offense every week. So I would most definitely consider that a “system” or niche offense. And Mullen then expanded on and around that base in time and with other personnel he acquired later. And Joe Lee was unpredictable because no one knew what the hell he was doing. You’re going to tell me someone else in power 5 football was running Joe Lee’s same scheme? No way. His defense at that time was absolutely a niche and unique system defense that he created. And no one saw anything like it until they played us.
I have figured out that you just like to argue ha. All good though and I appreciate it.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Mullen basically ran the single wing, that’s what it was at its base core plays. Everyone ran the single wing before world war 2. Now a days, and when Mullen was here, especially with Relf, our opponents didn’t see that type of offense every week. So I would most definitely consider that a “system” or niche offense. And Mullen then expanded on and around that base in time and with other personnel he acquired later. And Joe Lee was unpredictable because no one knew what the hell he was doing. You’re going to tell me someone else in power 5 football was running Joe Lee’s same scheme? No way. His defense at that time was absolutely a niche and unique system defense that he created. And no one saw anything like it until they played us.
I have figured out that you just like to argue ha. All good though and I appreciate it.
LOL, The single wing out of the spread, ok. Joe Lee's defense was so niche that it sucked without 2 great corners, like most defenses.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
LOL, The single wing out of the spread, ok. Joe Lee's defense was so niche that it sucked without 2 great corners, like most defenses.
Yes the single wing out of the shotgun. Do your own research, where Urban Meyer explains his spread origin and concepts on how his offense worked and how he evolved and settled on his scheme. You don’t know what you’re talking about and you obviously don’t know football when you see it. Just google and research Meyer and his single wing out of the spread. That’s why back in the early 2000’s and after Meyer and Mullens offense was definitely a system and a niche offense that was very different from what their opponents saw every week. Since that time their offense and concepts have been adopted not only by other college coaches but I’m the NFL as well. Again, at the time, becuse it was a niche and different system, Mullen was a perfect fit for us and something exactly that I’ve been talking about.
wnd Joe Lee was a lot more than just good corners lol. Again you don’t understand football totally.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login