Currently 15 of 16 recruiting in SEC

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
farts GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon13

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You all might disagree but not having the South Endzone bowled in is hurting recruiting. Recruits see that and wonder why a P5 SEC school don't have a complete bowled in stadium. It's probably a negative in thier minds and thier parents minds.

yakalot2

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, all that 5 star talent at Alabama going to the NFL is a smoke screen. Ole Miss being #1 in the portal hasn't helped them either. Meanwhile, we've been setting the SEC on fire with our 3 stars! ****
What were you expecting?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Yeah, all that 5 star talent at Alabama going to the NFL is a smoke screen. Ole Miss being #1 in the portal hasn't helped them either. Meanwhile, we've been setting the SEC on fire with our 3 stars! ****
You are correct if you are in top five class and have money too keep them on roster. We don't have the money and we will not be in the top five. But once you get past top five there is not much difference. Between 5 and 15 not much difference when you can have a large class but not four stars and still be in top 25. Go look at all my other post and you will see I said go the portal route.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Yep. We have several people that keep toting that "develop diamonds in the rough" mantra. We've tried that for decades now and weve only fallen further behind.

Developing a a guy for 3 years who may or may not stick around while the rest of the college football world rebuilds their team yearly, doesn't seem like the smartest approach. The world of college football has evolved and is much different than when Hunchback Dan took over.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You all might disagree but not having the South Endzone bowled in is hurting recruiting. Recruits see that and wonder why a P5 SEC school don't have a complete bowled in stadium. It's probably a negative in thier minds and thier parents minds.
Right. It's the end zone that's killing recruiting. **

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Right. It's the end zone that's killing recruiting. **
I don't think it is killing it but the way the stadium looks is in their minds when making a decision. I guess if we throw enough NIL money, they are good for one season. Then the next they will want more, and they will end up leaving.

• Haha
Reactions: Fishsqeezer

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
We should not spend a lot of money on high school guys. Just stay in top 30 every year and spend money on portal and guys would pan out. Portal guys once they are in will have to graduate to transfer or transfer and then sit out a season.

Libby will get it done. I faith he is getting his footing, and we will end up ok.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
You need to use sarcastrics with these posts.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
We should not spend a lot of money on high school guys. Just stay in top 30 every year and spend money on portal and guys would pan out. Portal guys once they are in will have to graduate to transfer or transfer and then sit out a season.

Libby will get it done. I faith he is getting his footing, and we will end up ok.
Are you drinking?

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Really interested to watch how the portal changes high school recruiting over time. My sense is that some high school kids will never get an opportunity.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
Not sure our record in 23 pushes us to front of the line for the top tier talent. Heck, I don't think we've gotten an abundance of top tier talent when we have had a pretty nice record.. Yeah occasionally we find a gem, but its not consistent. Right now we are who we are. Lets see about that in a few years.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Are you drinking?
Why spend money on guys who will leave you? Spend enough on high school guys but save most of it for the portal guys and guys who turn out to be good that is already on the team. If you buy them out of the portal, they are here and most likely not going anywhere unless they graduated.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
The only negative in their mind is when our $$ offer is below the competition.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Why spend money on guys who will leave you? Spend enough on high school guys but save most of it for the portal guys and guys who turn out to be good that is already on the team. If you buy them out of the portal, they are here and most likely not going anywhere unless they graduated.
That is what Kiffin is doing. Ole Miss is #1 in the portal. Ole Miss fans are smelling aNC and are throwing money at the program.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Honest question. How big a deal is recruiting anymore ?
I think that I would focus on highly rated players that grew up wanting to play at State. Give you the best chance to keep them if the turn out to be be good players. Even pre-NIL, it was just an offseason way to compare yourself to other teams based on how good "experts" thought the recruits were. I suspect all of that matters a lot less now. As soon as a player gets the PT to proved he's elite, the NIL offers will roll in. That most likely will be Sophomore year and result in the real recruiting battle to be how many portal Juniors can you get to school for 2 years to help your team win.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I don't understand why everyone is making this to be so black and white. The answer is you need to recruit HS players and the Transfer portal. Yes, a chunk of HS players will likely leave. But hopefully we can hang on to a few that are good and don't. No one is putting all their eggs into one basket. Even Ole Miss, who uses the portal as much as anyone is still getting good HS talent.

If we can't do both well because of limited NIL resources, then a balance must be struck. The last thing we need to do is focus solely on transfers at the expense of HS players, and vice versa.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don't understand why everyone is making this to be so black and white. The answer is you need to recruit HS players and the Transfer portal. Yes, a chunk of HS players will likely leave. But hopefully we can hang on to a few that are good and don't. No one is putting all their eggs into one basket. Even Ole Miss, who uses the portal as much as anyone is still getting good HS talent.

If we can't do both well because of limited NIL resources, then a balance must be struck. The last thing we need to do is focus solely on transfers at the expense of HS players, and vice versa.
It may turn out that it has as much, or more, to do with coaches who are able to quickly get players up to speed on their schemes. We may need new terms for referring to player tenure "he's a 3 school Senior out of Wetumpka, AL".

It almost seems like it could create tension between the need to simplify things greatly in college vs players wanting to be prepared for the NFL. Interesting times...

patdog

May 28, 2007
That is what Kiffin is doing. Ole Miss is #1 in the portal. Ole Miss fans are smelling aNC and are throwing money at the program.
They won't get a national championship. But they could get an SEC title game appearance and quarterfinals or even semifinals in the playoffs. They are going to be loaded next fall.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Not sure our record in 23 pushes us to front of the line for the top tier talent. Heck, I don't think we've gotten an abundance of top tier talent when we have had a pretty nice record.. Yeah occasionally we find a gem, but its not consistent. Right now we are who we are. Lets see about that in a few years.
We failed to generate momentum in crootin after the 2014 season. That was failure to an epic degree on Hunchie and the country club. We are back to starting at square one with coach #4 since 2018.

Oct 17, 2023
Isn't this the exact opposite of what the Federal judge ruled last week? Didn't it say that players can now transfer every year with no penalty? I know that it's temporary and they can only play for 14 days, but what are the odds that they will go back and say now you can't play

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I don't care what OM fans smell. A NC?? GTFOH. 30 years of history says they need to try making an SEC championship game first. Kiffin can manufacture points, but they were nowhere near the real power teams in the country. Did you see what UGA did to them? They caught Bama early in the season and played them relatively close, and they outscored LSU because of their shittty defense. Yes they were miles ahead of our post-coach-dying-Arnett-led cluster17 but let's not pretend they were world beaters or national championship contenders, just because they keep telling everybody they were.

Some people are so worried about what ole miss does that they willingly continue to fall for their self-fellating marketing ploys every year. Don't be one of those people. That paper tiger will fall back to earth here soon.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
They won't get a national championship. But they could get an SEC title game appearance and quarterfinals or even semifinals in the playoffs. They are going to be loaded next fall.
They are set up just as good as BAMA and UGA or better to win it next year from a schedule and talent standpoint.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
I don't care what OM fans smell. A NC?? GTFOH. 30 years of history says they need to try making an SEC championship game first. Kiffin can manufacture points, but they were nowhere near the real power teams in the country. Did you see what UGA did to them? They caught Bama early in the season and played them relatively close, and they outscored LSU because of their shittty defense. Yes they were miles ahead of our post-coach-dying-Arnett-led cluster17 but let's not pretend they were world beaters or national championship contenders, just because they keep telling everybody they were.

Some people are so worried about what ole miss does that they willingly continue to fall for their self-fellating marketing ploys every year. Don't be one of those people. That paper tiger will fall back to earth here soon.
Ole Miss beat us 17-7 this year and we were bad. There high powered offense didn't show up much at all that night, and our defense was torched the whole season.. The sky isn't falling and they are not running away from us. Do they look better on paper than us, sure, on the field was a different story.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
They are set up just as good as BAMA and UGA or better to win it next year from a schedule and talent standpoint.
If the games were played in a computer or on some kind of paper, Ole Miss would have several national championships, but surprisingly they do not.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Ole Miss beat us 17-7 this year and we were bad. There high powered offense didn't show up much at all that night, and our defense was torched the whole season.. The sky isn't falling and they are not running away from us. Do they look better on paper than us, sure, on the field was a different story.
You’re overreacting to a 1-game sample. Their QB wasn’t 100% coming in, played most of the 2nd half with a concussion, and they knew they didn’t need many points. Don’t kid yourself. They’re going to beat us a lot worse next year.

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
Really interested to watch how the portal changes high school recruiting over time. My sense is that some high school kids will never get an opportunity.
A lot of guys that would normally make the cut to go to a lesser power 5 school are gonna have to take the route to JUCO or group of 5 and try to transfer up.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We failed to generate momentum in crootin after the 2014 season. That was failure to an epic degree on Hunchie and the country club. We are back to starting at square one with coach #4 since 2018.
Our recruiting class in 2015, after that season, finished ranked 18th. It was damn good. Those guys came in, many played early, and were the catalyst of the 2017 and 2018 teams.

Why do some of you continue to parrot a lie? Get your years right. It was after 2015, after Dak left, that Mullen truly gave up and decided he was out as soon as the opportunity presented itself. It was at this time that he tried talking to the likes of Maryland, Rutgers and the modern Miami, rather than the big money bluebloods. And then, it was the 2016 recruiting class that suffered. Thankfully the true maroon guys were able to land Jeff Simmons.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Whoa now. I get we are in a different era, and they seem to be taking advantage of all the uncertainty, but I don't know that I'd go that far just yet. They seem to me like Arkansas under Petrino. Very well coached and running smoothly, but when it's time to take on the big boys, the lack of mature muscle shows up and is exposed.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
A lot of guys that would normally make the cut to go to a lesser power 5 school are gonna have to take the route to JUCO or group of 5 and try to transfer up.
Seems like the same number of players would still be there. If anything, a lot of the portal guys may be left out.

Now, that said, I'm sure there is a glut right now with the COVID super seniors, who won't GTFO of the way. But going forward, once it smooths out, I bet it stabilizes some. Some of these portal guys are going to get their feelings hurt.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
You’re overreacting to a 1-game sample. Their QB wasn’t 100% coming in, played most of the 2nd half with a concussion, and they knew they didn’t need many points. Don’t kid yourself. They’re going to beat us a lot worse next year.
1 game sample... Our whole season was a wash... We beat Arkansas... barely... What was the reason for 3 points in the first half? Our defense did not get better overnight. They struggled against the pass all year. Ole Miss was touted for running the ball with Jurkins but the defense held him in check most of the night. We stunk almost all year and they were ranked almost all year. 1 game vs is all we have and we held up admirably.

Sadly, if you aren't a blue blood, you usually have up and down years. Our down years have just happened to come with the untimely death of a coach and the spontaneity of hiring a DC who was not ready for a HC job. There is a lot of ebb and flow in college football from year to year.

Some teams are tossing around money like it grows on trees. We aren't.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login