Currently 15 of 16 recruiting in SEC

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Really interested to watch how the portal changes high school recruiting over time. My sense is that some high school kids will never get an opportunity.
Nah. There will still be the same number of student athletes.

High schoolers will shift more towards G5s (SMTTT!**), lower divisions, and JUCOs.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Some teams are tossing around money like it grows on trees. We aren't.
And this is why we're not going to be having any of those up years any time soon. The college football world has fundamentally changed. Some schools are adapting. Some are being left behind. I'll let you figure out which is which in Mississippi.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Nah. There will still be the same number of student athletes.

High schoolers will shift more towards G5s (SMTTT!**), lower divisions, and JUCOs.

Minor league farm system, proven triple a and double A players get to move up to the top P5 teams, veteran free agents are the portal. The Yankees get to build a team through free agency $$$. the Oakland As have to rely on minor leaguers and cast offs.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
I'll let you figure out which is which in Mississippi.
We hire a "lebby" like hire last year, we possibly are 8-9 win team and everyone has a totally different outlook on poor ol Mississippi State.

If college football is going to sustain this pay for play that it is promoting currently, Neither of the MS schools will be involved in the playoffs. Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio St., Michigan, etc. will be the playoffs because once it becomes a free for all, those are the schools that can pay more than anyone else every year.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I don't care what OM fans smell. A NC?? GTFOH. 30 years of history says they need to try making an SEC championship game first. Kiffin can manufacture points, but they were nowhere near the real power teams in the country. Did you see what UGA did to them? They caught Bama early in the season and played them relatively close, and they outscored LSU because of their shittty defense. Yes they were miles ahead of our post-coach-dying-Arnett-led cluster17 but let's not pretend they were world beaters or national championship contenders, just because they keep telling everybody they were.

Some people are so worried about what ole miss does that they willingly continue to fall for their self-fellating marketing ploys every year. Don't be one of those people. That paper tiger will fall back to earth here soon.
I didn't "fall for their marketing ploys". I simply stated facts. They are #1 in the portal and they were at some points over the last 2 years. Their fans are throwing a lot of money at their NIL. They want a NC and they are demonstrating it with their actions. They hired a good DC from Alabama and their defense is already improved. When their DC gets his players Kiffin will be dangerous. Based on this year and Kiffen's track record I expect them to be in the playoffs next year.

Reactions: patdog and 85Bears

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
And this is why we're not going to be having any of those up years any time soon. The college football world has fundamentally changed. Some schools are adapting. Some are being left behind. I'll let you figure out which is which in Mississippi.

I don’t like it but you’re right.

At the same time though, College Football is fundamentally a horrible place to set aside money when you’re a fan.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You’re overreacting to a 1-game sample. Their QB wasn’t 100% coming in, played most of the 2nd half with a concussion, and they knew they didn’t need many points. Don’t kid yourself. They’re going to beat us a lot worse next year.
With Leach coaching we'd beat them by three TDs.

• Haha
Reactions: RockyDog and patdog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
You’re overreacting to a 1-game sample. Their QB wasn’t 100% coming in, played most of the 2nd half with a concussion, and they knew they didn’t need many points. Don’t kid yourself. They’re going to beat us a lot worse next year.
Our QB played the whole game with one shoulder. Our RB had an ankle. All our coaches were temporary. We both had excuses. They just didn't look like the serious national championship contender everyone is making them out to be, to me. Is anyone screaming about a national championship for Mizzou? They finished with 2 losses and are ahead of OM in the poll. Oklahoma? SMU? Nah, it's just OM being OM. The hype machine is revved up to give them their fix until signing day.

Same shitt different year.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I didn't "fall for their marketing ploys". I simply stated facts. They are #1 in the portal and they were at some points over the last 2 years. Their fans are throwing a lot of money at their NIL. They want a NC and they are demonstrating it with their actions. They hired a good DC from Alabama and their defense is already improved. When their DC gets his players Kiffin will be dangerous. Based on this year and Kiffen's track record I expect them to be in the playoffs next year.
Colorado was #1 in the portal last year... so I'm not sure that's the auto-bid to a national championship some people think.

I just think you (not you personally, but lots of people) are seeing the recruiting rankings and buying their bs (again.) It's been going on forever, it just used to be with high school recruiting rankings when that was all OM cared about. The almighty PORTALLLLLL is their latest obsession, and they will keep milking that teet as long as people keep lapping it up. All the OM recruiting addicts are just trying to get their fix until signing day, the second most important day of the year... right behind the day in August when the annual Barret Sally preseason dicksucking article about them comes out.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Colorado was #1 in the portal last year... so I'm not sure that's the auto-bid to a national championship some people think.

I just think you (not you personally, but lots of people) are seeing the recruiting rankings and buying their bs (again.) It's been going on forever, it just used to be with high school recruiting rankings when that was all OM cared about. The almighty PORTALLLLLL is their latest obsession, and they will keep milking that teet as long as people keep lapping it up. All the OM recruiting addicts are just trying to get their fix until signing day, the second most important day of the year... right behind the day in August when the annual Barret Sally preseason dicksucking article about them comes out.
When I said "at some point during the last 2 years" I meant at some point they were 1st. It is fluid until all players are signed. I think Kiffin is using the portal wisely. He is signing the players he wants while moving some into the portal because they didn't work for him.

1 year of successful use of the portal is like one year of high school recruiting. It will help but unless you sustain it it won't make much difference. My point was Kiffin is highly rated in the portal 3 years in a row.

I don't look at any Ole Miss propaganda so I'm not privy to their BS. I'm just posting what I see with the portal and their performance this year.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
Look at the top 15-20 programs--they are competing like hell for HS talent then supplementing their rosters from the portal to cover perceived needs. This is not rocket science as it is exactly what OM is doing and I think this is exactly what Lebby is attempting to do. Deep pockets are required to play this game at a high level...if you don't have the pockets then better hope your basketball/baseball seasons are fun.

StarkDog98

Nov 11, 2023
We failed to generate momentum in crootin after the 2014 season. That was failure to an epic degree on Hunchie and the country club. We are back to starting at square one with coach #4 since 2018.
I’ll never forgive Hunchback for that. Sh*tting his pants in Oxford and then following it up being a lazy clown in recruiting. He’s a special kind of idiot being a college coach and not even faking interest in recruiting. Thats why he’s doing TV now.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Look at the top 15-20 programs--they are competing like hell for HS talent then supplementing their rosters from the portal to cover perceived needs. This is not rocket science as it is exactly what OM is doing and I think this is exactly what Lebby is attempting to do. Deep pockets are required to play this game at a high level...if you don't have the pockets then better hope your basketball/baseball seasons are fun.
So I believe what you, "Dog Eater", are implying is that:

(a) ole miss is a top 15-20 program. Program.
(b) ole miss has deep pockets.
(c) State does not have deep pockets.

Are my interpretations of your implications correct? If not, what did I misinterpret?

Reactions: Dawg84

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
So I believe what you, "Dog Eater", are implying is that:

(a) ole miss is a top 15-20 program. Program.
(b) ole miss has deep pockets.
(c) State does not have deep pockets.

Are my interpretations of your implications correct? If not, what did I misinterpret?
(a) yes

(b) yes (at least at this momment in time--expect giving will drop dramatically if current spending doesn't yield on-field results in '24 and expectationas are sky high)

(c) honestly i don't know. Your AD says your funds are sufficient to compete at a 'championship level", but when I see the players you are attracting to the program I have my doubts about the AD's claim. Can't believe you guys haven't nailed down Stonka and a couple of others--think you end up with HS recruiting class ranked in the high 20s but a low ranked portal class if your spending doesn't pick up.

Reactions: patdog

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
The way I see it, the portal is the new Junior College circuit for MSU (aka JWS's strategy) . Guys who got a year or two of football under their belt, and can come in and plug a roster spot when we're in a bind, but aren't necessarily game changers.

What's hurting Mississippi State right now isn't the portal or NIL, it's these coaching changeovers. Mullen dropped the ball after he established momentum and it's been mostly downhill since. Moorhead was a total dud, Leach, for all his good didn't seem to love recruiting. Then this year's mismanagement by Arnett. Thats an awful lot of lost time to catch up on. But none of those things occurred because of the effect of the portal or NIL on starkville.

Lebby seems to be embracing things our former coaches weren't willing to. He seems more intense and willing to act. We'll see if that translates to wins but we're taking a necessary first step forward by recruiting for volume instead of quality.

We need Lebby and his staff to excite recruits about the potential of Mississippi State football, and he doesn't have to land a yearly class of four and five stars to get this. Bring in some coachable athletes and establish incremental momentum to build on, while our fans and alumni commit to the new realities of D1 football.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
The way I see it, the portal is the new Junior College circuit for MSU (aka JWS's strategy) . Guys who got a year or two of football under their belt, and can come in and plug a roster spot when we're in a bind, but aren't necessarily game changers.

What's hurting Mississippi State right now isn't the portal or NIL, it's these coaching changeovers. Mullen dropped the ball after he established momentum and it's been mostly downhill since. Moorhead was a total dud, Leach, for all his good didn't seem to love recruiting. Then this year's mismanagement by Arnett. Thats an awful lot of lost time to catch up on. But none of those things occurred because of the effect of the portal or NIL on starkville.

Lebby seems to be embracing things our former coaches weren't willing to. He seems more intense and willing to act. We'll see if that translates to wins but we're taking a necessary first step forward by recruiting for volume instead of quality.

We need Lebby and his staff to excite recruits about the potential of Mississippi State football, and he doesn't have to land a yearly class of four and five stars to get this. Bring in some coachable athletes and establish incremental momentum to build on, while our fans and alumni commit to the new realities of D1 football.
I don't disagree with anything you have said. My concern is about the future of the game-and the thesis is that with NIL the game has changed in a way that favors deep pockets. It is not accidental that traditional well financed powerhouses--Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, TAMU, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Fl State, etc., are among the elite HS recruiting teams. These top 20 teams have had and now have serious financial backing--can teams with more meager financial resources expect to compete? I love to see Appalachian State take down Michigan--just love "leftover" kids kicking a bluebloods tail. Also concerned that the financial disparity leads to one or two super conferences. It is not completely out of the realm of possibility that we could have one team representing Mississippi in the future--admittedly far fetched but not impossible, not unthinkable, if push comes to shove...

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015
You all might disagree but not having the South Endzone bowled in is hurting recruiting. Recruits see that and wonder why a P5 SEC school don't have a complete bowled in stadium. It's probably a negative in thier minds and thier parents minds.
I totally agree! Have lobbied that issue over and over, while we have some fans that think we need to take seats out just to make room for chairbacks. I think chairbacks would be great, but we don’t need to take away seating. 65 to 70,000 would work. We may not fill them for all the games, but tickets would be sold, and the marquee games would be filled.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login