Dabo's reasonable response to the ACC's request to move the USC game to Black Friday

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Pretty much agree with him on all of it.

You'd be asking a lot of folks (students and recruits) to leave their homes on Thanksgiving Day to be in Clemson for a Friday game. It's also much better economically for a small town to have the game on Saturday.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
The major positive would-be national exposure of the rivalry without all the Saturday competition for TV audience but it would come with a cost/inconvenience to fans attending live.

Last edited:

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
It's him and his AD's choice and right to have refused, and he explained why he rejected and what he would be open to.

Positives and negatives for sure.

Hopefully we can do better and get the game more national exposure by being more relevant again, that would work for me.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
The major positive would-be national exposure of the rivalry without all the Saturday competition for TV audience but it would come with a cost/inconvenience to fans attending live.
Reminds me of a contract Southern Ole Miss had with Nebraska for a three-game football deal about 25 years ago. Two games in Lincoln, and one in Hattiesburg.

Nebraska asked USM about moving the third game to Kansas City from Hattiesburg and dangled extra $$$ in front of them. USM rejected it, stating that it was important to them and their fan base to have a high profile opponent play at M.M. Roberts Stadium in Hattiesburg.

It's nice to at least occasionally hear tales of a school showing (somewhat) non-monetary priorities.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If any change was made, it would be cool to see Big Thursday again. Not feasible these days though.

Reactions: atl-cock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
If any change was made, it would be cool to see Big Thursday again. Not feasible these days though.
Good point.

One of Clemron's complaints about playing in Columbia every year was that they were always in front of the east stands with the sun in their eyes. I don't think alternating the sidelines each year would have been enough to keep the game in Columbia.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Good point.

One of Clemron's complaints about playing in Columbia every year was that they were always in front of the east stands with the sun in their eyes. I don't think alternating the sidelines each year would have been enough to keep the game in Columbia.

Oh, yeah, definitely not these days.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Oh, yeah, definitely not these days.
Given that Georgia and Florida play each year in Jax (albeit close to the GA border), they seem to do a pretty good job of keeping the host environment neutral. About a decade ago I read that the sponsors were a little too publicly pro-Gator with the cocktail party, and Athens threatened to pull out if they didn't clean up their act.

To be clear for all readers, "pulling out" means that the series would alternate between Athens and Gainesville annually.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
The last program from 1959, I was always surprised by this program, our mascot looks ok, good drawing by somebody, LOL

Mountain guy

Jun 14, 2023
Good point.

I think other complaints were logistics and home town advantage, Think about the difficulty of transporting a team and equipment to Cola every year especially in the early 1900's and into the 20's, 30's, 40's and even the 50's. You didn't just assemble at the airport, lol. Surprised they didn't put out an ultimatum earlier to be honest.

Can you imagine our fans reactions if we agreed to play them the next 60+ years in Clemson even with much improved logistics? That is the time frame they played in Cola every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: will110

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I think other complaints were logistics and home town advantage, Think about the difficulty of transporting a team and equipment to Cola every year especially in the early 1900's and into the 20's, 30's, 40's and even the 50's. You didn't just assemble at the airport, lol. Surprised they didn't put out an ultimatum earlier to be honest.

Can you imagine our fans reactions if we agreed to play them the next 60+ years in Clemson even with much improved logistics? That is the time frame they played in Cola every year.
They didn't have that great a football facility in Pickens County until the 1950s I believe.

Auburn didn't have such a great facility either, which is why for most of their time as SEC rivals, Auburn football would travel to Atlanta to play Ga Tech.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
I don't see the issue. Most people will be off work anyway spending money in stores or online. Some will be watching other teams play football. I don't think the inconvenience outweighs the exposure of being one of a few games played on Friday. The students will come back to campus the next day anyway. They aren't doing anything on Friday. What shows that this is a cop-out by Dabo is that he would be glad to do it in Columbia. How is it convenient for us but so inconvenient for Clemson. No biggie but another BS, holier than though response by Dabo IMO. He has been doing a lot of that lately.

RUMMENIGGE

Jan 31, 2022
In recent years the Arkansas vs Missouri game was usually played on black Friday but has changed to Saturday this upcoming season. The Nebraska vs Iowa game will always be the black Friday game.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't see the issue. Most people will be off work anyway spending money in stores or online. Some will be watching other teams play football. I don't think the inconvenience outweighs the exposure of being one of a few games played on Friday. The students will come back to campus the next day anyway. They aren't doing anything on Friday. What shows that this is a cop-out by Dabo is that he would be glad to do it in Columbia. How is it convenient for us but so inconvenient for Clemson. No biggie but another BS, holier than though response by Dabo IMO. He has been doing a lot of that lately.

As he said in his answer, his decision was based on what was best for Clemson (the school and the town). Obviously, if the game is in Columbia, that is all off the table.

It's a big recruiting weekend for the home game and asking recruits and their families to come to a Friday game would be a major inconvenience for them....and maybe impossible as he notes some of the recruits have Friday games. Clemson obviously isn't going to host recruits for a game in Columbia. So that's not a factor.

The economic impact of having the game on a Saturday vs Friday is significantly different. The game in Columbia obviously has no economic impact in the town of Clemson, no matter what day of the week it's on. So that's not a factor.

As to the students, yes, you will have a fair number of Clemson fans/students at the game in Columbia, but a very small fraction of what would be at the game in Clemson. So that's not really a factor.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
As he said in his answer, his decision was based on what was best for Clemson (the school and the town). Obviously, if the game is in Columbia, that is all off the table.

It's a big recruiting weekend for the home game and asking recruits and their families to come to a Friday game would be a major inconvenience for them....and maybe impossible as he notes some of the recruits have Friday games. Clemson obviously isn't going to host recruits for a game in Columbia. So that's not a factor.

The economic impact of having the game on a Saturday vs Friday is significantly different. The game in Columbia obviously has no economic impact in the town of Clemson, no matter what day of the week it's on. So that's not a factor.

As to the students, yes, you will have a fair number of Clemson fans/students at the game in Columbia, but a very small fraction of what would be at the game in Clemson. So that's not really a factor.
As I said, those same 18-22 year old students aren't doing anything. The adults for the most part aren't doing anything. Whatever we were going to do on Friday, we can easily do on Saturday. Those same poor people that can't travel will have the malls, highways, and Wal-Mart filled to capacity without a game. Most of them have cars. They would run up to Clemson no problem. I read every word Dabo said and its a cop-out just like his holier than thou position on the Transfer Portal. Just being resistant to change just because it's tradition. Doesn't matter if they have no idea what the tradition is based on. I may have been born at night, but not last night.

Last edited:

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I can assure you the economic impact on the retailers in Anderson would be considerable if the Carolina/Clemson game were played on Black Friday in Clemson, especially if it was a noon kickoff. Appealing to the TV gods would seem to be the only reason to move it to Friday, so I'm glad they refused the move.

And since I'm almost always at work on Black Friday, I can't think of anything worse than having to keep up with the football game (around which my entire sports year revolves) via occasional check-ins with ESPN.com on my phone. Yuck! Thanks, Dabo, for thinking of the fans!

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
I can assure you the economic impact on the retailers in Anderson would be considerable if the Carolina/Clemson game were played on Black Friday in Clemson, especially if it was a noon kickoff. Appealing to the TV gods would seem to be the only reason to move it to Friday, so I'm glad they refused the move.

And since I'm almost always at work on Black Friday, I can't think of anything worse than having to keep up with the football game (around which my entire sports year revolves) via occasional check-ins with ESPN.com on my phone. Yuck! Thanks, Dabo, for thinking of the fans!
Whatever the retailers in Anderson lose on a Friday, they would easily pickup on that Saturday or in the days leading up to Christmas. People are going to do their Christmas shopping at some point. I get your point that you have to work. However, many people do not unless you work in the retail, convenience or dining industries. Many are doing absolutely nothing on Black Friday. If Clemson would have said yes, a whole lot of people would have been like OK, bet and adjusted their schedules accordingly. I know all I am going to be doing anyway is watching Football and eating Thanksgiving leftovers. May as well take in a game. However, I realize when people get stuck in a tradition they get stuck.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Whatever the retailers in Anderson lose on a Friday, they would easily pickup on that Saturday or in the days leading up to Christmas. People are going to do their Christmas shopping at some point. I get your point that you have to work. However, many people do not unless you work in the retail, convenience or dining industries. Many are doing absolutely nothing on Black Friday. If Clemson would have said yes, a whole lot of people would have been like OK, bet and adjusted their schedules accordingly. I know all I am going to be doing anyway is watching Football and eating Thanksgiving leftovers. May as well take in a game. However, I realize when people get stuck in a tradition they get stuck.
But there's a reason they don't call it Black Saturday, isn't there? Yes, they'll shop, but never with the same intensity that comes on that day.

And I think there are far more people working on Black Friday than you realize or acknowledge. Yes, "many" are off, but it's nothing like a Saturday. Every government office and bank in America is open that day, for example.

At the end of the day, we each have our own perspective and that's fine. But it sounds like you can watch the game on either day while I can't - so I suspect my opinion on the subject is much, much stronger than yours. It has nothing to do with being "stuck" on tradition.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
But there's a reason they don't call it Black Saturday, isn't there? Yes, they'll shop, but never with the same intensity that comes on that day.

And I think there are far more people working on Black Friday than you realize or acknowledge. Yes, "many" are off, but it's nothing like a Saturday. Every government office and bank in America is open that day, for example.

At the end of the day, we each have our own perspective and that's fine. But it sounds like you can watch the game on either day while I can't - so I suspect my opinion on the subject is much, much stronger than yours. It has nothing to do with being "stuck" on tradition.
...and Black Friday just started maybe 20 years ago. It's a created "Faux Holiday" because they know most people are not doing anything. Further, most people are going to shopping online anyway and malls and retail stores are not getting the business that they once did. I get not wanting to change. So, just say that. I don't want to change or I am not comfortable with change. Instead of coming up with all these fake reasons why something should remain the same. No one is going to lose money regardless. It's Christmas time. Unless it's some apocalyptic type recession occurring, people are going to spend money during this time of year.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
...and Black Friday just started maybe 20 years ago. It's a created "Faux Holiday" because they know most people are not doing anything. Further, most people are going to shopping online anyway and malls and retail stores are not getting the business that they once did. I get not wanting to change. So, just say that. I don't want to change or I am not comfortable with change. Instead of coming up with all these fake reasons why something should remain the same.
Dude, please don't call me a liar. Fake reasons? I take you at your word when you say you have nothing to do on Black Friday and you "may as well take in a game." Please take me at mine when I say it is the single most important sporting event in the entire year for me but I probably wouldn't be able to watch on Friday, at least not without taking leave.

I'd rather play the game on the day when the most Carolina and Clemson fans can see it, period. I'm thankful Clemson didn't move the game to Friday just so a bunch of people around the country who don't have a dog in the Carolina/Clemson fight can see it. I value _my_ watching of the game over theirs.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I may have been born at night, but not last night.

...and Black Friday just started maybe 20 years ago.

Hmmm, you weren't born last night but think Black Friday started this century? lol What planet have you lived on?

Black Friday has been a thing since the 1950s. It was huge deal when I was a kid in the 80s. Hardly a recent phenomenon.

Reactions: Acmnni1

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
Hmmm, you weren't born last night but think Black Friday started this century? lol What planet have you lived on?

Black Friday has been a thing since the 1950s. It was huge deal when I was a kid in the 80s. Hardly a recent phenomenon.
Yep. Camping and socializing at storefronts like Woodstock for shoppers was huge in the 80's.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Dude, please don't call me a liar. Fake reasons? I take you at your word when you say you have nothing to do on Black Friday and you "may as well take in a game." Please take me at mine when I say it is the single most important sporting event in the entire year for me but I probably wouldn't be able to watch on Friday, at least not without taking leave.

I'd rather play the game on the day when the most Carolina and Clemson fans can see it, period. I'm thankful Clemson didn't move the game to Friday just so a bunch of people around the country who don't have a dog in the Carolina/Clemson fight can see it. I value _my_ watching of the game over theirs.
If Big Thursday were to be resurrected, you would not be able to watch it unless it was Thursday night, which was definitely not in the spirit of the event.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
If Big Thursday were to be resurrected, you would not be able to watch it unless it was Thursday night, which was definitely not in the spirit of the event.
Just one reason why I've never advocated for resurrecting it.

Psycock

Joined Jan 20, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
Amazing how somehow Ole Miss-MSU somehow manage to play over Thanksgiving every year and somehow they get people to show up. Arkansas was playing LSU for years on Friday I think, then Missouri? Wow fans actually showed up then too. I remember when we could have moved it to Friday when Brad Scott was HC and he declined, was fearful of running out of turkey I guess. Both fan bases would have adjusted and we would be one of the few games on Friday. Instead, we continue to get buried in all of the other rivalry games on Saturday. It`s the most important game to our fan bases, but not for the average fan watching football that day. We would adapt and so would Clemson. Short-sighted in my opinion, Is it really that much different playing one day early over that weekend?

Mountain guy

Jun 14, 2023
Amazing how somehow Ole Miss-MSU somehow manage to play over Thanksgiving every year and somehow they get people to show up. Arkansas was playing LSU for years on Friday I think, then Missouri? Wow fans actually showed up then too. I remember when we could have moved it to Friday when Brad Scott was HC and he declined, was fearful of running out of turkey I guess. Both fan bases would have adjusted and we would be one of the few games on Friday. Instead, we continue to get buried in all of the other rivalry games on Saturday. It`s the most important game to our fan bases, but not for the average fan watching football that day. We would adapt and so would Clemson. Short-sighted in my opinion, Is it really that much different playing one day early over that weekend?
Yes it is a difference. Beyond the economic factors others have said, it is huge in recruiting players who would be playing their HS games on Friday night. Many, if not all, would not be able to come.

Reactions: Acmnni1

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
As you stated, they play on Thanksgiving every year regardless of who is hosting. Everyone who is going knows the exact date well ahead of time, so there is not a need to change any plans. In Clemson's case the request was to move the scheduled date, and they declined.
Frankly, I don't see this as a big deal.

Gamecock Vet

Feb 13, 2022
Pretty much agree with him on all of it.

You'd be asking a lot of folks (students and recruits) to leave their homes on Thanksgiving Day to be in Clemson for a Friday game. It's also much better economically for a small town to have the game on Saturday.

Dumbo is an idiot!!

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
Yes it is a difference. Beyond the economic factors others have said, it is huge in recruiting players who would be playing their HS games on Friday night. Many, if not all, would not be able to come.
They play on Friday in Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and 46 other states too. Doesn't seem to bother the ones that play on Black Friday.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Just so I understand the argument, we're mad at Dabo for not moving the game to Friday so _more_ people could watch us lose? Or we're mad at him for not moving the game to Thursday or Friday so our rivalry could have a similar level of notoriety as the Egg Bowl or the Arkansas/Missouri game? Geesh, folks, this seems like a ridiculous thing to worry about. Why are we unhappy that our game is played on the same day as all of the other big rivalry games?

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

RUMMENIGGE

Jan 31, 2022
Just so I understand the argument, we're mad at Dabo for not moving the game to Friday so _more_ people could watch us lose? Or we're mad at him for not moving the game to Thursday or Friday so our rivalry could have a similar level of notoriety as the Egg Bowl or the Arkansas/Missouri game? Geesh, folks, this seems like a ridiculous thing to worry about. Why are we unhappy that our game is played on the same day as all of the other big rivalry games?
I prefer the game be played in the evening time but other than that I do not care what day they play on.