Damnit Jackson…

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
This afternoon around 4pm I saw a white guy barefoot walk across Northside drive holding a gun. He didn't do anything but it was not pleasant to see and think what he might do

• Wow
Reactions: Msdeltareb

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
A few years back at the same Krogers, a car was stolen that had a kid in it (I believe the mother left the kid in the car on a late night shopping trip), when the perpetrator(s) discovered the kid, they killed him.

Reactions: 32 Dive

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Damn, the Kroger my Mom goes to if it's the one I'm thinking it is. In the Northside Dr & Old Canton Rd area?

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
This afternoon around 4pm I saw a white guy barefoot walk across Northside drive holding a gun. He didn't do anything but it was not pleasant to see and think what he might do
That's the baddest man in the hood right there. Nobody's messing with him.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Redirect her to Krogers in Madison or Flowood. That's way to dangerous when she could go to a safe 5 miles away.
Sad. She owned 3 retail stores in Highland Village back when it was Highland Village then stupid yankees bought it out and turned it into a pile of schit. She moved her stores to that nice place in Madison a few miles north once HV sold out and she's since sold it to a close friend / ex employee since she's 81 now. Was such a nice area back in the day. I was the guy who first programmed the electronic tall advertising sign that sits in the Shoney's parking lot back in '87 and before that bussed tables at TGIF as a teenager. Never forget getting permission to get off early to go see the 6-3 Bamer game.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
Sad. She owned 3 retail stores in Highland Village back when it was Highland Village then stupid yankees bought it out and turned it into a pile of schit. She moved her stores to that nice place in Madison a few miles north once HV sold out and she's since sold it to a close friend / ex employee since she's 81 now. Was such a nice area back in the day. I was the guy who first programmed the electronic tall advertising sign that sits in the Shoney's parking lot back in '87 and before that bussed tables at TGIF as a teenager. Never forget getting permission to get off early to go see the 6-3 Bamer game.
HV is still nice with some higher end stores. They put the city’s only Whole Foods there a few years ago.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
That's the baddest man in the hood right there. Nobody's messing with him.
it was literally like watching a real life breaking bad episode. gun drawn pointed at the ground, finger on trigger, crossing the street, tshirt, shorts, barefoot, like he had just held up a convienence store or headed to car jack someone. he didn't look like he was on drugs, just pissed off. it was in the mid 40's so barefoot was a bit even more odd. first time i have seen someone walking in public with a handgun drawn, it was surreal. broad daylight jackson mississippi. from the local news i guess he did not do anything, looked like he was about to though

Reactions: Msdeltareb

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I hate that Highland Village went the national brand route and ran off the local stores, but the place does look better than it has in years.

Just sucks this happened at the I-55 Kroger. Fortunately it is still big news when a violent crime happens in NEJ/Fondren/Belhaven, but if this keeps up it won't be.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I hate that Highland Village went the national brand route and ran off the local stores, but the place does look better than it has in years.

Just sucks this happened at the I-55 Kroger. Fortunately it is still big news when a violent crime happens in NEJ/Fondren/Belhaven, but if this keeps up it won't be.
I was going to ask what made this noteworthy compared to the other shootings in Jackson. Obviously the people in NEJ/Fondren/Belhaven are a different breed from most to stick around for the area's glorious amenities despite the crime (and lack of water? Or have those areas had a reliable supply of potable water?), but you'd think they'd be running out of patience at this point.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Concur HV is better than ever. Pro tip, the Lulu store has a nice collection of fine, fit women - at least it did, I haven't been since before COVID, but always did my old lady's birthday/anniversary/x-mas shopping there.

Reactions: Faustdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I was going to ask what made this noteworthy compared to the other shootings in Jackson. Obviously the people in NEJ/Fondren/Belhaven are a different breed from most to stick around for the area's glorious amenities despite the crime (and lack of water? Or have those areas had a reliable supply of potable water?), but you'd think they'd be running out of patience at this point.
These are all separate types of people. Belhaven and "The Fondren" are mostly do-gooders, medical professionals and aging hippies. FNEJ contains two sub groups, Eastover - where the richest families in the 'Sip live and the "the rest," or "northsiders" (some jokingly refer to themselves as "letfovers") folks who have/had a little money and are still trying to hold on to the status of living in FNEJ (which died with the new millennia). One common thread for most is they can't sell their house for what they think it is worth.

Last edited:

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
it was literally like watching a real life breaking bad episode. gun drawn pointed at the ground, finger on trigger, crossing the street, tshirt, shorts, barefoot, like he had just held up a convienence store or headed to car jack someone. he didn't look like he was on drugs, just pissed off. it was in the mid 40's so barefoot was a bit even more odd. first time i have seen someone walking in public with a handgun drawn, it was surreal. broad daylight jackson mississippi. from the local news i guess he did not do anything, looked like he was about to though
Nothing in Jackson surprises me anymore. I took a bus load of kids to the state TSA competition. We were going south on 55 and when we crossed the Pearl River there was a guy walking down near the river walking down a trail with a stick and he was buck tooth naked. I couldn't believe you would see something like that in a state capitol city in America. It was 3rd world shite.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

Yeah, that's it. The vast majority of violent crime still happens outside of those areas. Not saying there aren't incidents, but just when there are it is still news.

And I know you're being slightly facetious, but for restaurants, shopping, and entertainment those areas have a lot to offer especially compared with the rest of Mississippi. Just the recent additions to the Belhaven neighborhood alone are worth a trip to Jackson. You make a heck of an afternoon / evening there between Elvies, District Donuts, the new Fertile Ground Brewery, Mayday Ice Cream, that little outdoor bar with the green space where the kids run around and the stage for an occasional musician.

You just don't get that kind of thing other places in MS.

Reactions: Old Fart Dawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Nothing in Jackson surprises me anymore. I took a bus load of kids to the state TSA competition. We were going south on 55 and when we crossed the Pearl River there was a guy walking down near the river walking down a trail with a stick and he was buck tooth naked. I couldn't believe you would see something like that in a state capitol city in America. It was 3rd world shite.
There is a low head dam down there that i have fished a couple of times, you may encounter some "interesting" folks I think a homeless guy(s) live across the south side of the river near the dam. There's also an old bridge down there (that is hard to see from water works curve).

There are well used trails from the Natural Science Museum and Leflure's Bluff that lead to the river.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah, that's it. The vast majority of violent crime still happens outside of those areas. Not saying there aren't incidents, but just when there are it is still news.

And I know you're being slightly facetious, but for restaurants, shopping, and entertainment those areas have a lot to offer especially compared with the rest of Mississippi. Just the recent additions to the Belhaven neighborhood alone are worth a trip to Jackson. You make a heck of an afternoon / evening there between Elvies, District Donuts, the new Fertile Ground Brewery, Mayday Ice Cream, that little outdoor bar with the green space where the kids run around and the stage for an occasional musician.

You just don't get that kind of thing other places in MS.
Yeah those areas are fine. And the people who live there laugh at the people who are scared to come and think it’s a war zone.

Reactions: Faustdog

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I took a bus load of kids to the state TSA competition.

Metal detector and pat down speed trials?

Sudden death full cavity search to settle ties? First one that roots around & finds the balloon full of drugs wins?

security airport GIF by truTV’s Those Who Can’t

big boy search GIF by South Park

All kidding aside, what is this?

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
I lived in Ridgeland 2000-2008 and then Madison 2008-2016, and worked downtown for all but the last few years. I felt like the area around this Kroger, and down to Highland Village were generally fine during the day, and were ok at night so long as you stayed aware of your surroundings. I never thought twice about eating dinner at Char or Bravo and staying late, but having said that I'd keep an eye out as I went straight to my car and left, not wasting a lot of time. To me, one of the biggest changes over my 16 years in the area was how much Northpark/County Line Road and the whole area south of there went down. Northpark, and all the increasingly-empty shopping centers all around it, are going to drag that whole area down fast, and there are a lot of neighborhoods all around there.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
A few years back at the same Krogers, a car was stolen that had a kid in it (I believe the mother left the kid in the car on a late night shopping trip), when the perpetrator(s) discovered the kid, they killed him.
I think I remember reading something about that. Unbelievable. From what I can tell jails and prisons have gotten so soft that perps aren't scared to go there anymore. They think of it as 3 hots, a cot, no bills and drugs that are evidentiary easier to obtain behind the wire than on the streets.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I was having a bad day…

Reactions: lazlow and patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login