Dan Mullen in discussion with ESPN

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
to be a studio analyst this fall. Can't wait to see Jimmy Sexton stiff a network.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I’m shocked he didn’t get picked up. Would’ve though a mid tier p5 program would’ve given him a chance. Wonder if he just decided to take the year off

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Well, ol’ Dan got his “dream job” and he failed miserably at it. Any Florida coach who can’t beat Georgia on a regular basis is probably toast-I imagine that the former “Ooh La La” coach will experience a similar fate-at least I hope he does. As long as Kirby is at Georgia, the Florida folks aren’t going to like the results.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
He made a lot of money working at State. He made a lot at Florida and got a lot when he left. He was probably smart with his money. He's not hurting. He will come back when he is ready. His kids are getting older and may want to spend time with his family.

HamSammich

Nov 9, 2016
If he coaches, he gives up part of his buyout.

Smart man to get some ESPN money until the buyout ends

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
If he coaches, he gives up part of his buyout.

Smart man to get some ESPN money until the buyout ends

I don't think Mullen had a clause in his contract that he would give up any of his buyout. It was $12 million. $6 million within 30 days and $1 million every July 15 thru 2027.

Stricklin helped out his boy with a very favorable contract including Mullen only having a $2 million buyout if he wanted to leave.

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
I think doing TV for a few years will make Dan a better coach.

If you think about it, when you coach at a major school, you don't stop & observe college football on a weekly basis because you're always playing. By doing TV, Dan gets to stay involved but from 30K feet. It'll help him see things from a different perspective

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
He’s banked a lot of money and his kids aren’t that little anymore, he may be content to just do TV and actually spend time with his family. The work schedule for a college football coach can be brutal.

I do think it’s time to start mending the fences between Dan and MSU and getting him back in the fold here in some way. Even if it’s just bringing him back to honor him at a game once or twice. He’s an important part of our modern history and his tenure here should be celebrated.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
He's done pretty well when they've had him on a guest analyst a couple of times. Lot of the coaches just talk about the players or typical coach speak - but he breaks things down more like some of the NFL analysts.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I’m shocked he didn’t get picked up. Would’ve though a mid tier p5 program would’ve given him a chance. Wonder if he just decided to take the year off

I mean... when you get fired from a school like Florida, you only have so many options:
1. You work for ESPN or Fox
2. You coach at South Carolina, but that job's filled
3. You become Nick Saban's Quality Control Assistant

So I guess he chose option 1.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
He’s banked a lot of money and his kids aren’t that little anymore, he may be content to just do TV and actually spend time with his family. The work schedule for a college football coach can be brutal.

I do think it’s time to start mending the fences between Dan and MSU and getting him back in the fold here in some way. Even if it’s just bringing him back to honor him at a game once or twice. He’s an important part of our modern history and his tenure here should be celebrated.

17 him and Judas Iscariot Stricklin

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
He's got a lot of PR to do before another shot. The wheels completely fell off at Florida based on the same gripes we had for a decade. He lost the team. They were celebrating a home win over Samford like they won a trophy. They barely beat a destitute FSU program. His exit from MSU was disgraceful also (lying to team leaders). He's also hard to work with.

He's a great developer of talent, but he's got to prove he can motivate and coach in-game before he'd ever be considered a great coach. He's got one more season as an analyst before he gets picked up, at least. That Florida fiasco was a high profile lead zeppelin

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009

Screw him ... he got replaced by Napier who has already had to apologize for last years recruiting ... the man has lost that energy and desire that made him a good coach

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If I was a recently fired coach with plenty money, a good income and other options I think I would be content to let the dust settle with this NIL thingy before I made another career decision....if he has one to make **

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
Good Place for him and that smug grin.
As long as he's not my coach. He is a one system coach that can't adapt.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Well, ol’ Dan got his “dream job” and he failed miserably at it. Any Florida coach who can’t beat Georgia on a regular basis is probably toast-I imagine that the former “Ooh La La” coach will experience a similar fate-at least I hope he does. As long as Kirby is at Georgia, the Florida folks aren’t going to like the results.
I think he should have tried to go to the B1G. Just don't think he was a good fit at Florida, or any top level blue blood really. He's just not that type. Penn State/Michigan State would be perfect for him. He needs that top 20 recruiter type place, but not necessarily the top 5 recruiter.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
NFL.

I think it is where he belongs.
I don't. He's not nearly good enough with the play calling and scheming.

His strength was organization and putting the pieces where they need to be, and then polishing them. He's not a fit at all in the NFL. He's much better at the recruiting end than people think - at the right place. He's not very good with the primadonnas.

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
He was able to "adapt" enough to..

1. Make Chris Relf a serviceable SEC quarterback. He even won a few SEC games in 2009 with Tyson Lee!
2. Turn Nick Fitzgerald, with his only other offering being Sun Belt schools, into the all-time leading rushing QB in SEC history.
3. Take a 3 star QB and put him in the NFL at a school not know for putting offensive players in the NFL, save the occasional lineman or running back.

This does not even consider all the defensive line, etc. talent that came through our program under him. I wish we had some guys like that right now.

I think there is some truth to the 2nd stint for a coach not being as good, but you people who think we have been / will be better off with him gone are stupid.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah Dan Mullen did some great things for our program. Some people still just butt hurt their girlfriend left them for another dude.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And yet, he's the most successful coach we've had since the 1950s at least, and the 2nd most successful one Florida has had since Spurrier (and he had a pretty big part in Meyer's success there too).

Last edited:

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
And yet, he's the most successful coach we've had since the 1950s at least, and the 2nd most successful one Florida has had since Spurrier (and he had a pretty big part in Meyer's success there too).
The most successful at MSU since Allyn McKeen, and many of our fans hated him then and still do. I will NEVER understand that.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Mrs Mullen will send him back to work when she tires of just kissing him on the mouth

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
Mullen may think differently, but people will always associate him with Mississippi State.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
We’ll see how napier does, but if he has a similar record for 3 years, I don’t think Dan failed.

I think Florida is failing.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Slight hijack. If you were a YOUNG, marketable coaching candidate right now how would a school's NIL capabilities (or lack thereof) factor into your decision making right now ?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We’ll see how napier does, but if he has a similar record for 3 years, I don’t think Dan failed.

I think Florida is failing.
This is an interesting part of this. No idea what they are doing there. I don't think Napier will get it done either.

I think they are simply looking for the wrong things. They've always been based on speed. Not sure why they hired Muschamp, McElwain or Mullen. And Urban's offense (Mullen essentially) wasn't a great fit for them, but they were able to get Tebow and they best athletes in the country and make it work. Not to mention Urban can win anywhere, not sure about his magic touch but he's got something.

Spurrier showed them how to do it. They should be hiring someone in the Lincoln Riley or Lane Kiffin mold. I don't think Napier is that guy. He's more like Mullen.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I guess we found one of the cigar boys that wanted him gone. Crazy you didn't like him. Most successful coach outside of Jackie that we have had in the last 70 years. Did he not coddle your balls enough when you came to visit?

patdog

May 28, 2007
So, how's that working out for us so far with him being gone? I don't care that he's a smug, arrogant, *******. He won more often than any other coach we've had in my lifetime. I'd gladly take another Dan Mullen as our head coach tomorrow given the chance.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The most successful at MSU since Allyn McKeen, and many of our fans hated him then and still do. I will NEVER understand that.

People are just pissed that he wasn’t here to coach the 2018 team (That HE recruited) and the Yankee came in and fumbled all of that talent. I appreciate what he did but I don’t want him to come back.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
So, how's that working out for us so far with him being gone? I don't care that he's a smug, arrogant, *******. He won more often than any other coach we've had in my lifetime. I'd gladly take another Dan Mullen as our head coach tomorrow given the chance.

It’s working out the same as it did when he was here….we’re winning 6-8 games per year and not competing for anything of any consequence. We certainly haven’t downgraded at all.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
You know that’s pretty much all Jackie Sherrill did too, except for one year when we took advantage of a historically terrible SEC West and slipped into the SEC title game with an 8-3 record. Mullen is better than Sherrill and was doing it in an era where the SEC West is historically strong. I know he left us but you can’t have expected him to stay his entire career here. We should appreciate his time here and what he did for us, bringing us out of the Croom wilderness and making us relevant on a national stage.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login