Dan Wetzel just said on Out of Bounds that Kiffin is the front runner for A&M

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Music Video Birdman GIF

Last edited:

Luka Legend

May 26, 2023
Seems like a reach for the type of cash they are throwing around. I hear great things about Traylor, but am gunshy about him for OUR job due to his lack of P5 experience.
Apparently Traylor's got really great contacts in Texas, no idea who ends up at ATM but if I were to make a guess I'd say they end up with Elko.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The people that cover A&M, i.e. Billy Liucci, say Kiffin isn't a candidate. Their list is Lanning, Norvell, Elko and Traylor.
I'm not sure how credible those names are, particularly when at least one of them has totally crapped on the rumors. Lanning stated unequivocally that there is zero percent chance he takes that job, for example. I don't see Norvell leaving FSU - there's no logical reason for him to undertake another rebuild so quickly. Elko and Trayor are good candidates but let's be honest - you just fired a guy and paid a huge buyout to do it - you almost have to make a splash hire. Neither Elko nor Traylor are splash hires. They may be the right hire long term, but neither is going to be splashy or sexy.

I think Lane is a real possibility there. He's demonstrated he can build a program. He runs an exciting offense. He wins. And he's splashy. It's the exact kind of hire I expect them to make.

Luka Legend

May 26, 2023
I'm not sure how credible those names are, particularly when at least one of them has totally crapped on the rumors. Lanning stated unequivocally that there is zero percent chance he takes that job, for example. I don't see Norvell leaving FSU - there's no logical reason for him to undertake another rebuild so quickly. Elko and Trayor are good candidates but let's be honest - you just fired a guy and paid a huge buyout to do it - you almost have to make a splash hire. Neither Elko nor Traylor are splash hires. They may be the right hire long term, but neither is going to be splashy or sexy.

I think Lane is a real possibility there. He's demonstrated he can build a program. He runs an exciting offense. He wins. And he's splashy. It's the exact kind of hire I expect them to make.
I don't doubt that Lane would win at ATM with their resources, I believe the way he bad mouthed jimbo/them rubbed them the wrong way. ATM is nothing if not emotional so I think his barbs may have disqualified him with some of their money guys. I think if they offered him 110 mil over 10 he'd be a fool not to take it.

Also the list of names is just what the people that cover A&M are saying, just passing that info along.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He'll win there but LSU, Alabama, OK, TX and Georgia are better programs even with all the cash the Aggies have.
If I'm Kiffin, I'm waiting to see if Sunbelt Billy gets fired. He'd be a better fit at Florida, and that's another one you could add to your list.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I don't doubt that Lane would win at ATM with their resources, I believe the way he bad mouthed jimbo/them rubbed them the wrong way. ATM is nothing if not emotional so I think his barbs may have disqualified him with some of their money guys. I think if they offered him 110 mil over 10 he'd be a fool not to take it.

Also the list of names is just what the people that cover A&M are saying, just passing that info along.
Lane didn't say anything about Jimbo that A&M fans weren't saying. That bad blood was with Jimbo, not the A&M faithful.

I'm not sure that Lane is a fit for A&M culturally, so that's my only hang up. But if A&M offers him, he's gone. And the fan base there will eat it up.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

There is alway$ one rea$on to go to Texa$ A&M.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
If I'm Kiffin, I'm waiting to see if Sunbelt Billy gets fired. He'd be a better fit at Florida, and that's another one you could add to your list.
I think Napier gets one more year unless the team quits over their last two games. It's not a slam dunk, but Florida really needs Napier to figure it out.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
If I'm Lane I am not leaving OM for TAMU. While I personally loathe Oxford and OM, it's a sweeter set up and more secure than TAMU.
That 'more money, more resources in Texas' b0llsh!t hasn't helped TAMU or UT yet.
If he is after a national title, his chances are no better at TAMU, particularly once the 12 team playoff kicks in.
But if he is just looking for a big payout not to coach, like Jimbo, he's might be gone.

Luka Legend

May 26, 2023
Lane didn't say anything about Jimbo that A&M fans weren't saying. That bad blood was with Jimbo, not the A&M faithful.

I'm not sure that Lane is a fit for A&M culturally, so that's my only hang up. But if A&M offers him, he's gone. And the fan base there will eat it up.
The fit is definitely weird, imagine kiffin at midnight yell.

And you might be right with the stuff he said, I do think some of their people are upset at how he said they had paid for the #1 recruiting class (which has an 11-11 record BTW haha). Even though they print money they still like to think their players come for love of Revellie and Yell leaders not $$.

Reactions: patdog

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The fit is definitely weird, imagine kiffin at midnight yell.

And you might be right with the stuff he said, I do think some of their people are upset at how he said they had paid for the #1 recruiting class (which has an 11-11 record BTW haha). Even though they print money they still like to think their players come for love of Revellie and Yell leaders not $$.
Well Ole Miss fans also believe that players go there because they have Ole Miss in their hearts, right?

That's not a thought exclusive to A&M.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Only a dumbass fool ole miss fan wouldn't think that is possible.
Oh hell.. you have to see them on other forums. They are big dogs now. They are equal to Georgia, Alabama, LSU, etc. They can pay whatever it takes to keep him. They are among the nations elite in NIL. Blah.. blah… blah…. Blah.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think Napier gets one more year unless the team quits over their last two games. It's not a slam dunk, but Florida really needs Napier to figure it out.
It'll be interesting to see what they do. I understand most people think he's safe, and he very well may be. If he wins 1 of these last 2 games, he's definitely safe. But if he loses out, I would fire him.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It'll be interesting to see what they do. I understand most people think he's safe, and he very well may be. If he wins 1 of these last 2 games, he's definitely safe. But if he loses out, I would fire him.
I definitely wouldn't call him safe. He just has a huge buyout and they're still paying other coaches, too. It's in their best interest that Napier works out.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login