Dawgs finish #22 in final CFP rankings

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Pretty amazing considering all the wailing and gnashing of teeth from people on here. You’d think we would have a losing record. If we win our bowl game, this would be a better season than Dan Mullen ever had other than 2014.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Pretty amazing considering all the wailing and gnashing of teeth from people on here. You’d think we would have a losing record. If we win our bowl game, this would be a better season than Dan Mullen ever had other than 2014.
No offense but being ranked 22 isn't world beater status.

ETA: Laying an egg against Kentucky almost ruined the entire season.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022

The UK loss is all the Leach haters have so they will never let it go. We lost our best RB and O lineman in the first quarter and lost on the road at night. If we had won, these same guys would be talking about LSU. They will never be happy. Can’t imagine how miserable their wives are, if they have one.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007

Geez. It puts us in the top 17% of college football teams this year. There are 107 teams that played Division I FBS football that were ranked below us.

Only 16 teams are playing in bowls that have payouts higher than the bowl that we are playing in. We are 17th in that regard as well.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Geez. It puts us in the top 17% of college football teams this year. There are 107 teams that played Division I FBS football that were ranked below us.

Only 16 teams are playing in bowls that have payouts higher than the bowl that we are playing in. We are 17th in that regard as well.
Seriously??? 107 teams we're better than? 75 of them aren't even at our level (power 5). Give me a break. We shouldn't be pissed about this season, but it's not like we had a tremendous season.

Our bowl game is solid. Glad we beat Ole Miss or we'd be in the Libery Bowl.

• Sad
Reactions: PCHSDawg

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The UK loss is all the Leach haters have so they will never let it go. We lost our best RB and O lineman in the first quarter and lost on the road at night. If we had won, these same guys would be talking about LSU. They will never be happy. Can’t imagine how miserable their wives are, if they have one.
Leach haters keep moving the goalposts. They will never be happy with any success we have with him as our coach because they hate the offense so much. If he ran the power spread and finished ranked 22nd with a win over OM in Oxford they’d build him a statue.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Leach haters keep moving the goalposts. They will never be happy with any success we have with him as our coach because they hate the offense so much. If he ran the power spread and finished ranked 22nd with a win over OM in Oxford they’d build him a statue.
He could win the natty and they'd complain it wasn't the Super Bowl.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Nobody's sayin' it's "World Beater Status". We spent the entire year being unranked then whipped tsun at THEIR place knocking them out and replacing them in the polls. But if you wanna be miserable and continue to dwell about the KY loss, by all means knock yourself out.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Nobody's sayin' it's "World Beater Status". We spent the entire year being unranked then whipped tsun at THEIR place knocking them out and replacing them in the polls. But if you wanna be miserable and continue to dwell about the KY loss, by all means knock yourself out.
Dude I'm not miserable at all. I'm just not pumping threads and bragging to others about being ranked 22.

I was very excited we beat Ole Miss. It was the only time I rang my cowbell in our house all year! Would just be nice to not lose games we shouldn't and then have an offense that allows us to compete with the better teams.

I'm just seeing the forest from the trees. No disrepsect to your opinion.

ETA: spelled rang "range" originally.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
We just wanted a chance to compete with the top teams in the conference and we still aren't able to do that bc we can't move the ball despite thinking Mike Leach would be able to do it because he's re-written the record books everywhere he's been.

Yes he's a good coach, he's just not a great coach and he had he been a HC in the SEC at school not UGA or Bama, he'd probably have us in the same area Dan had us in.

I just hate seeing things like 27 straight passes like we did against Auburn. Even in the Ole Miss game we just kept trying to throw our way out of bad offense and yet it was our running game and usually is our running game that gives us our biggest wins under Leach.

We're not innovative on offense and we're playing the best defenses in the country every week. That's not great coaching.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We just wanted a chance to compete with the top teams in the conference and we still aren't able to do that bc we can't move the ball despite thinking Mike Leach would be able to do it because he's re-written the record books everywhere he's been.

Yes he's a good coach, he's just not a great coach and he had he been a HC in the SEC at school not UGA or Bama, he'd probably have us in the same area Dan had us in.

I just hate seeing things like 27 straight passes like we did against Auburn. Even in the Ole Miss game we just kept trying to throw our way out of bad offense and yet it was our running game and usually is our running game that gives us our biggest wins under Leach.

We're not innovative on offense and we're playing the best defenses in the country every week. That's not great coaching.
How often has State been able to compete with the top of the conference? Very rarely.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
How often has State been able to compete with the top of the conference? Very rarely.
Yeah and we always gripe about it.

Look I give Mike Leach a B+ for the seasons results W/L wise, but I think his stubborness will always hold him back. You can say that about most coaches too.

I shouldn't have to see 27 straight pass attempts though and blow a 3 TD lead at home and be told be happy with what we got.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Dude I'm not miserable at all. I'm just not pumping threads and bragging to others about being ranked 22.

I was very excited we beat Ole Miss. It was the only time I rang my cowbell in our house all year! Would just be nice to not lose games we shouldn't and then have an offense that allows us to compete with the better teams.

I'm just seeing the forest from the trees. No disrepsect to your opinion.

ETA: spelled rang "range" originally.
We have finished the season ranked in a poll just 17 times before this season.
17. Fitting.
Only 4 times this century have we finished ranked on a poll.
Only 4 times this century have we finished with more wins than we currently have.

I simply think its really cool to end the regular season with an Egg Bowl win and be ranked. It clearly doesnt happen frequently and it seems OK to recognize the relative rarity.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Yes, the bowl bitchin' threads are blowing my mind. We had a really strong season - 17n GREAT by our usual Bulldog standards. We won the Egg Bowl and we are playing in a very good bowl in TAMPA on Jan 2.

I bet we continue to improve. Hell we may do even better next year, but for 17 sake it's really sad the some of us can't seem to enjoy ourselves every once in a while.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
I gave the season a B+. It's like some people just want to focus on what they don't agree with rather than the larger context.

I don't like Leach's offense or his play calling, but I'm not calling for him to be fired or a terrible coach. I just acknowleged we hoped to compete with top of our conference with hiring him and we can't.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Seriously??? 107 teams we're better than? 75 of them aren't even at our level (power 5). Give me a break. We shouldn't be pissed about this season, but it's not like we had a tremendous season.

Our bowl game is solid. Glad we beat Ole Miss or we'd be in the Libery Bowl.
I've been a big Leach critic but credit where it's due, 8-4 is a really good season at MSU.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Saw somewhere that despite all of our normal fan angst over whatever spectacular things Ole Miss is doing in their program, we have finished the season ranked ahead of them 10 of the last 13 years. That's gotta suck for them and their leftover ego from the 60's.
And yet they've been to TWO NY6 bowls. I'd trade the run they just went on for what we did the past few years. Actually didn't they win the Sugar under Freeze? So they've been to 3 NY6 bowls in the last 5-6 years?

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
And yet they've been to TWO NY6 bowls. I'd trade the run they just went on for what we did the past few years. Actually didn't they win the Sugar under Freeze? So they've been to 3 NY6 bowls in the last 5-6 years?
So you're entire basis of dissatisfaction is what Ole Miss has done? Why don't you go cheer for them?

Jul 5, 2020
We had a successful season by almost everyone on this board's metric based on my memory of what the preseason prognostications were going to be. I can't find my preseason predictions, but I think that I said we'd be between 9-3 (with several breaks) and 6-6 (with substantial underperformance). So, I would say that we did a little better than I expected. I'm happy with 8 wins, but I do think that we left at least 1 win on the field vs. Kentucky. I'm happy to be a little pissed about being on the margins of the SEC Championship game. If I'm upset about anything, it's losing during one of the few seasons that Bama, Aub and LSU were all beatable.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Fishwater would like to point out we didn’t beat any teams that finished in the top 25.****

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
I shouldn't have to see 27 straight pass attempts though

Rogers has a lot to do with that. Leach calls the formation. Almost every formation can be a run or a pass. Most of the time Rogers decides if it will be a pass or run based on what the defense is doing.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
So you're entire basis of dissatisfaction is what Ole Miss has done? Why don't you go cheer for them?
That's what you got out of that? Someone compared us to OM and I just made a comparison and said their run has been better and only an idiot would rather not go to 3 NY6 bowls instead of losing the Liberty and Outback bowls. I think we might have beat Wake and NCST in a bowl game over that stretch.

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is a misleading and meaningless comparison. Close to half of those teams have no business playing in the top division of college football. A better comparison is we're 22nd out of about 66 P5 (plus Notre Dame & BYU) schools. Still a good season.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Actually, we should have won both of them. Seriously.

Reactions: dog12 and patdog

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don't qualify my enjoyment of MSU based on what Ole Miss does and I don't want to trade a single thing with them. I want to be as far away from being like them that I can. I will say that if we lose to them in football, it tells me that we we are still not relevant in the SEC West hunt and that is frustrating because they are a perennial also ran.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Actually, we should have won both of them. Seriously.
SHOULD have? Come on now.
COULD have? Sure. But SHOULD have?...nah.

Claiming we should have won 2 games we lost is the same as claiming we should have lost to OM even though we won. After all, they outgained us, won the turnover battle, and more.

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack

patdog

May 28, 2007
SHOULD have? Come on now.
COULD have? Sure. But SHOULD have?...nah.

Claiming we should have won 2 games we lost is the same as claiming we should have lost to OM even though we won. After all, they outgained us, won the turnover battle, and more.
We outgained Mississippi offensively. And outgained them by a lot in return yards.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I gave the season a B+. It's like some people just want to focus on what they don't agree with rather than the larger context.

I don't like Leach's offense or his play calling, but I'm not calling for him to be fired or a terrible coach. I just acknowleged we hoped to compete with top of our conference with hiring him and we can't.

Agree. You were being mostly positive, and you apparently consider this football season to be "successful" (as do I).

However, your comments included some (reasonable, IMO) criticism. That will get under the skin of our sunshine-pumpers and lead to them accusing you of being too negative . . . as demonstrated in this thread.

Negative comments are frowned upon here.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Last time we finished the regular season ranked was 2017

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
I don't qualify my enjoyment of MSU based on what Ole Miss does and I don't want to trade a single thing with them. I want to be as far away from being like them that I can. I will say that if we lose to them in football, it tells me that we we are still not relevant in the SEC West hunt and that is frustrating because they are a perennial also ran.
I agree with what you said 100%. I just said their run of NY6 bowls has been better than our run of bowl games.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
That's what you got out of that? Someone compared us to OM and I just made a comparison and said their run has been better and only an idiot would rather not go to 3 NY6 bowls instead of losing the Liberty and Outback bowls. I think we might have beat Wake and NCST in a bowl game over that stretch.
So yeah. You wish we were Ole Miss.

As for me? I'd rather NOT
1) be an embarrassment and national shame by having a coach and admin lie about NCAA troubles to 'save' a recruiting class
2) Have two seasons nuked because of said violations
3) Have a bunch of losing seasons because we hired a dude based on the fact that he won an Egg Bowl
4) Promptly fire same dude because he loses two Egg Bowls in a row
5) finish behind my in-state rival 9 of the last 15 seasons
6) have a losing record to my rival over the last 30 seasons
7) have no appearances in the SEC championship game since the SEC has gone to divisions
8) act like we're God's gift to college football even though we haven't been relevant since before black people could legally attend our college.
9) crow about our roller-coaster program even though everyone knows the crash is right around the corner.

But that's just me. I'd rather appreciate another bowl year and winning record, knowing that at our worst we still have a better football program that those ascot wearing pricks in Oxford.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login