Dear Gautreau. Pack your damn bags clown.

Feb 23, 2008
Someone please justify his existence in our dugout. Please name me a single veteran hitter who’s made significant progress at the plate. Yeager is the only one and luckily he’s only had one year of Gautreau screwing him up. I’m sick of the guy and he can take his ******** chest pumping nonsense with him.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Not sure he has much to work with. Who are the guys that lemonis has brought in?

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Recruiting has been a huge disappointment. From hitters, to position players, to pitchers we haven't brought in much to replace ou best players the last couple years.

Feb 23, 2008
3 weeks ago I’d agree. I’ll give Fox the benefit of the doubt now though with his top guy and top bullpen guy lost for the year. And these last 3 conference games, I’ve seen progress on the mound. We have no excuse for this many veterans not hitting much better than last year.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
This is disappointing but the recruiting cycle is far too long to know this. As an example, Sims is a Cohen recruit.

Nunya.sixpack

Jun 10, 2019
This is disappointing but the recruiting cycle is far too long to know this. As an example, Sims is a Cohen recruit.

That's not true at all. This board is chock full of internet coaches who would be on their 20th straight natty. Just ask them.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Ok. I mean thats one guy in one season. And he is a great coach. Id like to see if Alford, Pico, Downs, Hines, Walker, etc pan out first. But I get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
I am a baseball fan who shows up three hours before a game to get a spot on the Berm (not complaining, it is what it is). Extremely disappointed in our players at bats. We got men on base, something we weren’t doing, then we go 1 for 15. Strike outs. No fly balls and no one beat the ball on the ground to put pressure on LSU’s defense. Strike outs.

Why are they tapping their chest still. Our players still slap the breeze like they did on strike one or two.

Jun 9, 2015
I am a baseball fan who shows up three hours before a game to get a spot on the Berm (not complaining, it is what it is). Extremely disappointed in our players at bats. We got men on base, something we weren’t doing, then we go 1 for 15. Strike outs. No fly balls and no one beat the ball on the ground to put pressure on LSU’s defense. Strike outs.

Why are they tapping their chest still. Our players still slap the breeze like they did on strike one or two.

It’s a small thing, and I shouldn’t care that much, but I agree. The chest tap was neat last year, because those guys battled with two strikes. It’s just not the case anymore.

Aug 3, 2011
I don’t understand why they looked completely lost against the outside part of the plate pitching that LSU threw for at least the 2nd half of the game. If these guys can’t go with the pitch and take it opposite field then there isn’t much hope. Damn near all our guys crowd the plate and still can’t hit a ball on the black on the outside. It’s like they just sat back and hoped for a miss by the pitcher to hit.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
You seem a tad bit tense considering what this coaching staff has accomplished recently.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007

Kinda sounds like you are complaining from the first word to the last…it is your right to do just that.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Sims is actually a Cannizarro recruit, but your point remains. Hancock and Brandon Smith are in fact Cohen recruits.

Ace-Leroy

Aug 23, 2012
Recruiting has been a huge disappointment. From hitters, to position players, to pitchers we haven't brought in much to replace ou best players the last couple years.

I agree. The hitting of this team is just sad.

We have 3 straight Omaha trips , a Natty and a stadium second to none and the best We can do is put together a lineup that has scored 3 or less runs in 6 of 11 SEC games? We have 6 players on the team hitting less than.230?

We either misjudged some of these players or have done a piss poor job coaching them. I think it may be both.

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t understand why they looked completely lost against the outside part of the plate pitching that LSU threw for at least the 2nd half of the game. If these guys can’t go with the pitch and take it opposite field then there isn’t much hope. Damn near all our guys crowd the plate and still can’t hit a ball on the black on the outside. It’s like they just sat back and hoped for a miss by the pitcher to hit.

It's because they are all dead pull hitters. Not hard to pitch to dead pull hitters. Just throw it on the outside corner and either they won't swing or pull out which is why we strikeout a ton in key moments. It won't change until the hitters make an adjustment, which doesn't look like they are willing to do. It also doesn't help that we miss mistake pitches constantly or take balls right down the middle all game long. There were a lot of mistake pitches today that we didn't capitalize on.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
He was fantastic. There's no doubt he's one BA supervisor. I think there's question on how good of an architect he is though

Bednar was a Lemonis guy so that’s a major qualifier in the whole “he won with Cohen and Cannizaro recruits” argument.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
He was fantastic. There's no doubt he's one BA supervisor. I think there's question on how good of an architect he is though

The only knock on Lemonis’ recruiting that can even be made is that we have missed on a couple of JUCO and transfer pitchers that were targeted to address gaps left by Cannizarro / Cohen leftovers. And that’s not even a fair criticism to make because you can’t really even call them misses because they are 17ing JUCO pitchers for a reason. They weren’t good enough to get drafted or get any scholarship money out of high school….so its just a big roll of the dice on every one of them. And we’ve hit on plenty, too, but obviously Tullar / Walling and a few others aren’t going to pan out.

And by “gaps” I also mean roster voids left by guys who left for MLB and never showed up. So by no means am i saying Cannizzaro or Cohen couldn’t recruit or that they left us in a bad spot. But gaps were there, and Lemonis didn’t have much choice but to roll the dice on transfers. Enough have panned out that we probably would be more than fine if not for injuries to Sims, Simmons, and Hunt. But of course that’s not the hand we were dealt.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Someone please justify his existence in our dugout. Please name me a single veteran hitter who’s made significant progress at the plate. Yeager is the only one and luckily he’s only had one year of Gautreau screwing him up. I’m sick of the guy and he can take his ******** chest pumping nonsense with him.

Challenge accepted….

Justin Foscue, Jordan Westburg, Ryan Gridley, Rowdey Jordan, Tanner Allen, Kamren James, Logan Tanner, Elijah Macnamee, Luke Hancock, Hunter Stovall, Brad Cumbest, Dustin Skelton, and numerous others have all had substantial OPS jumps from their first year as everyday players to their last or current year. The lowest number on that list is Rowdey, who still had his increase by about .060 from Freshmen to Senior year. A lot of those jumps are in the .300 - .400 range.

So yeah, if just about every hitter he’s ever coached has gotten substantially better over his career at MSU, does that count?

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Yeah I just can't understand why we didn't have at least eight or nine freshmen ready to plug-in to our lineup. It's not like there's anything happening on a national scale to disrupt schools and sports our keep us from having games or opportunities to evaluate players just because he spent a year going to school remotely.
And it's not like we haven't recently had much turnover in our coaching positions from for the past 3-4 seasons so we've definitely had the established and constant group of guys year to year have to keep recruiting and meeting with players.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Yeah I just can't understand why we didn't have at least eight or nine freshmen ready to plug-in to our lineup. It's not like there's anything happening on a national scale to disrupt schools and sports our keep us from having games or opportunities to evaluate players just because he spent a year going to school remotely.
And it's not like we haven't recently had much turnover in our coaching positions from for the past 3-4 seasons so we've definitely had the established and constant group of guys year to year have to keep recruiting and meeting with players.

You're right. But, Other schools seem to have found a way. We have not. As for coaches, how long has Lemonis been here? We're past that. There were holes in the pen because of that, and we filled it with Juco guys. But the hitters don't have that excuse. We brought in a bunch of transfers, & really, Only one has been worth a crap. I'm not on the fire people boat. That's ridiculous! But it's easy to see all the misses and missteps. Hell, we weren't good before Sims got hurt and Simmons was really an unproven commodity because he wasn't special last year. We haven't developed much on the pitching side. We loaded up with jucos and missed on some electric arms that we couldn't get to throw strikes. Next year is going to be worse than this year. We're basically caught in a vicious cycle of transfers. Hard to build chemistry and develop that.
We need a huge influx of young talent.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login