Dear Jim Cantore , Come back anytime

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
He is rumored to have dined and dashed from restaurants, maybe a restaurant owner got fed up.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
When was the resurgence?
I suppose my statement is very age dependent. I feel like in the 70's/80's Memphis and Jackson were similar in the desolation of the downtown area. Sometime in 90's Memphis revitalized Beale Street and a lot of downtown became safely walkable. I feel like that has been rolled back in the last decade or so. Or I was stupidly staying and walking around downtown when I shouldn't have been?

Here is an old article referring to the period that I recall: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/1990/12/02/memphis-blues-reborn-on-beale-st/

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I suppose my statement is very age dependent. I feel like in the 70's/80's Memphis and Jackson were similar in the desolation of the downtown area. Sometime in 90's Memphis revitalized Beale Street and a lot of downtown became safely walkable. I feel like that has been rolled back in the last decade or so. Or I was stupidly staying and walking around downtown when I shouldn't have been?

Here is an old article referring to the period that I recall: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/1990/12/02/memphis-blues-reborn-on-beale-st/
Memphis' last gasp died when Phil Trenary died. I think many people lost hope that day. I notice the guy who did it only got 25 years in prison.

Reactions: Doghaus

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

It was more tongue in cheek but you are right. 70s/80s Memphis was a little scary then about 94/95 it started to turn around and then it went back the other way. The last 5 years have been rough.

Reactions: Maroon13

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It was more tongue in cheek but you are right. 70s/80s Memphis was a little scary then about 94/95 it started to turn around and then it went back the other way. The last 5 years have been rough.
I needed this:

A sarcasm detector? Oh that's a real useful invention! *pow* : r/TheSimpsons

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Why do this?
no kidding - its a blue city we all know. kinda surprised a thug be out in this weather though. must have been some really low hanging fruit. weather man should know by now to not lock your doors....i mean damn

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I thought Memphis may rebound around 2011 or so. Many downtown buildings were being rebuilt. The south main district was taking off.

Then 2020 and "defund the police" and all that... the new DA.... I can tell you too the courts are backed up and nobody has any urgency to find a solution to solve the issue. So not only are there no repercussions for petty crimes but major crime as well.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
When I was in high school, my girlfriend and I would go to all the malls and to downtown a good bit to eat and go to the river…..and I mean TO the river. We’d walk down the cobblestones to right at the water just to hear it and watch. This was 1989…..can you imagine doing that now? Willie Herenton drove that city into the ditch and helped make DeSoto county what it is today.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Why do this?
Seems redundant for sure. Asking about the race of a person who committed a car burglary in Memphis is kinda like asking the race of someone who's meth trailer blew up in rural Kentucky, who stole the wheels of a car in Brownsville, TX, who brutally stabbed a bunch of coeds to death while they were sleeping in Moscow, ID, who committed a drive by in Chicago, or who started a ponzi scheme in Martha's Vineyard.

You hate to stereotype, but it's natural. So most of us wouldn't bother asking for a friend since we know the 95% likely answer in every case.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Seems redundant for sure. Asking about the race of a person who committed a car burglary in Memphis is kinda like asking the race of someone who's meth trailer blew up in rural Kentucky, who stole the wheels of a car in Brownsville, TX, who brutally stabbed a bunch of coeds to death while they were sleeping in Moscow, ID, who committed a drive by in Chicago, or who started a ponzi scheme in Martha's Vineyard.

You hate to stereotype, but it's natural. So most of us wouldn't bother asking for a friend since we know the 95% likely answer in every case.
Pretty damn well said

Doghaus

Oct 7, 2017
no kidding - its a blue city we all know. kinda surprised a thug be out in this weather though. must have been some really low hanging fruit. weather man should know by now to not lock your doors....i mean damn
Just so happened security couldn't get there and was off that nite...can you say inside Job
we should just wait for the mug shots
But they do have "BLACK ICE"

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login