Destin / Miramar / San Destin Restaurants

GTAdawg

Sep 11, 2010
Give me those restaurant dine-in or takeout recommendations for the Destin area. Will be staying on the Miramar side.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Bonefish grill*****

Harbor Docks has always been a favorite of mine. Fresh seafood… a lot of times caught that day. I believe the owner of the restaurant also owns his own commercial fishing boats.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Harbor Docks has always been a favorite of mine. Fresh seafood… a lot of times caught that day. I believe the owner of the restaurant also owns his own commercial fishing boats.
Correct.

Most of the restaurants down there are total crap, I'd say 80%. They come and go with the years. Harbor Docks is a constant.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Give me those restaurant dine-in or takeout recommendations for the Destin area. Will be staying on the Miramar side.
Be a little bit more specific as to what you want (Family, beachside, upscale, etc). We spend a lot of time there and know lots of different types.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Honestly, and this is just one Devil’s opinion, I think getting a beach front house and cooking is the best idea. I have been taking my family to Miramar since 1985 and pretty much all the restaurants down there are either overrated or overpriced. We have always had good luck taking a traegar with us and just making big family meals for a third of the price.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Honestly, and this is just one Devil’s opinion, I think getting a beach front house and cooking is the best idea. I have been taking my family to Miramar since 1985 and pretty much all the restaurants down there are either overrated or overpriced. We have always had good luck taking a traegar with us and just making big family meals for a third of the price.
Satan, there's a lot of truth to this, but if you do not go often, going out to eat is part of the experience.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We stayed in Santa Rosa Beach in the spring and really liked Shunk Gulley. Fun oyster bar.

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
Cafe Tango in Santa Rosa Beach is outstanding. It is a small and intimate fine dining establishment.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Dewey Destin (on the bayside) is always really good!
Stinky's off 30A
Goat Feathers off 30A

Its been a couple of years since I have been, so not positive if these are still there.
Dewey Destin has the best fried shrimp in the country.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
OK. Here goes. I am going to stick to Miramar Beach area, because you really do not need to go to 30A or Destin proper except to eat Dewey Destin fried shrimp which is a must (I recommend going for lunch)

Breakfast: Whale's Tale is ok food, but the beachfront porch is fantastic and the large mimosa is practically a whole bottle of champagne. Eastern European waitresses. There's also a Ruby Slipper there now, so if you've been there you know how awesome it is.
Beachfront casual: Pompano Joe's is probably the best (great shrimp poboy), but Surf Hut is cool too with a huge bar area and TV's. Royal Palm at Seascape is across the street from beach, but it has really grown on me.
Beachfront upscale: Captain Dave's. Fantastic view and great food.
Local place though not beachfront is Kenny D's. Cool place, decent food.
More upscale not beachfront: Tommy Bahama is great especially for lunch. Vintij Wine Bistro is outstanding. Tuscany is an Italian seafood and is recommended. As mentioned before, Camille's is great.
Carryout: There's a small place called Pascalli's Kitchen that is not really seafood, but has pizza, hummus, salads etc. Also has a small breakfast selection. Skipper seafood will cook you up a shrimp boil for pick up.

Again, feel free to be more specific, and I can provide more.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Satan, there's a lot of truth to this, but if you do not go often, going out to eat is part of the experience.
I would say it's not about how often you go to Destin/MIrimar, but whether you live in a place with decent food. There's not much there that isn't easily replicated in a decent sized town. Half the places are going to sell you frozen seafood regardless, so you're not really eating anything you can't get away from the beach.

Certainly worth doing if you just enjoy going out and the crowds and waits don't bother you. But generally you're not missing anything if you cook at the condo.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I would say it's not about how often you go to Destin/MIrimar, but whether you live in a place with decent food. There's not much there that isn't easily replicated in a decent sized town. Half the places are going to sell you frozen seafood regardless, so you're not really eating anything you can't get away from the beach.

Certainly worth doing if you just enjoy going out and the crowds and waits don't bother you. But generally you're not missing anything if you cook at the condo.
Shouldn't be crowds or waits this time of year. But yeah, we were just there for 3 weeks and went out a few times for lunch and a dinner or 2. Mostly cooked in. Hell I ate pimento cheese a couple night.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Gonna say a couple of random non seafood places that are nondescript.
Buffalo Reef, Strip mall restaurant but had great wings and solid pizza. Good for a Saturday to watch games too.
Johnny McTighes in Grayton. Great pub with solid food. It was cash only last time I was there not sure if it still is.
98 BBQ. Surprisingly good Q for Miramar. Sides are fantastic.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Gonna say a couple of random non seafood places that are nondescript.
Buffalo Reef, Strip mall restaurant but had great wings and solid pizza. Good for a Saturday to watch games too.
Johnny McTighes in Grayton. Great pub with solid food. It was cash only last time I was there not sure if it still is.
98 BBQ. Surprisingly good Q for Miramar. Sides are fantastic.
Buffalo Reef is only in Pensacola if I’m not mistaken ?
It does have really really good wings however.
Johnny McTighes is good but it’s an Irish Pub which I’m not a real fan of.
Pensacola to Santa Rosa is a 30 mile drive.
Neither close to Destin when having cocktail’s or have been drinking beer on beach all day.

GTAdawg

Sep 11, 2010
I appreciate all the info. Some good stuff in here.

One specific question - if you were going to call in a shrimp boil to pick up and bring back to home base, with shrimp by the pound and all the fixings…where would you call? Again, staying in the Miramar area specifically.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Neither close to Destin when having cocktail’s or have been drinking beer on beach all day.
Sorry man Buffalo Jacks. Buffalo Reef is in FWB and is my favorite wings place down here.

Reactions: ronpolk

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Buffalo reef is in fort Walton beach. And it is an awesome wing spot. I lived in FWB for a few years after college and spent a lot of Sunday’s at the bar watching the dolphins play.

This time of the year, that drive from Miramar to fort Walton is probably not too bad. During the summer, it’s miserable due to Destin traffic.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

One specific question - if you were going to call in a shrimp boil to pick up and bring back to home base, with shrimp by the pound and all the fixings…where would you call? Again, staying in the Miramar area specifically.
Don’t know about the one in Destin but we have a location here in GB. Blalock Seafood does a good job at our location.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Shrimp Basket and Waffle House
My legit first night dinner on the beach when we go during crowded times is Waffle House. Screw waiting in line for an hour with all the other first day people tryna eat seafood! I have a whole week for that!

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Agreed. We started renting a house a few years ago and spend way more nights at the house cooking. House has a charcoal and gas grill. My daughter and I typically go fishing one day, so we usually have enough fish for a couple meals and some to bring home. We still do typically eat out a couple times.

Reactions: Lucifer Morningstar

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Old Florida fish house on 30a, I think just past Seagrove. Nicer food but has a good play area.
Marina Bar and Grill behind the tennis courts on the bayside. Has a friendly parrot named Mary Anne.
Pompano joes and crap trap are good standards if not too busy.
Slick Lips in Baytowne Wharf.
Roberto’s in the wharf or Bud n Alleys pizza in Seaside for pizza.
Lagniappe if u want to go to other end of Destin.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016

Skippers at the east end of scenic gulf dr

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Buffalo reef is in fort Walton beach. And it is an awesome wing spot. I lived in FWB for a few years after college and spent a lot of Sunday’s at the bar watching the dolphins play.

This time of the year, that drive from Miramar to fort Walton is probably not too bad. During the summer, it’s miserable due to Destin traffic.
You’re right - my bad, and I was just there about a month ago for the first time.😳
Not a big fan of the mustard sauce wings tho - the hot, classic buffalo ones were as good or better than any wings I’ve ever had.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login