Dicussion on STM yesterday - Does Leach have the "warmest" seat in the SEC...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Dicussion on STM yesterday - Does Leach have the "warmest" seat in the SEC...

conference outside of Harsin. He's very far from being let go but he could be the next in line behind Harsin.

Like if Harsin was #1, Leach would be #20 with nothing in between.

• Nick Saban, Alabama: cold
  • Brian Kelley, LSU: cold
  • Billy Napier, Florida: cold
  • Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M: maybe somewhat warm but they can't fire him b/c of the buyout
  • Kirby Smart, Georgia: cold
  • Mark Stoops, Kentucky: cold
  • Bryan Harsin, Auburn: hot
  • Mike Leach, Mississippi State: some warmth
  • Lane Kiffin, Ole Miss: cold
  • Josh Heupel, Tennessee: cold
  • Eli Drinkwitz, Missouri: maybe some heat
  • Sam Pittman, Arkansas: cold
  • Shane Beamer, South Carolina: cold
  • Clark Lea, Vanderbilt: It's Vandy

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I think maybe when looking at it as a cross section right now, but when I take into account the variability of other fan based/coaches actions, I think it’s very very unlikely that he’s the next SEC coach fired

Edit: while acknowledging Twittergate and cuncussiongate

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Napier’s recruiting class wasn’t the best in the few weeks that he had to fill that out. I bet his seat is warming up!!!***

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Who do you think it would be?

If I'm just making a bet on next SEC coach fired (outside Harsin), Kiffin is my horse due to the possibility of a blow up at any given time. But yeah Leach would be my next bet.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think Jimbo's seat is warmer. A&M won't blink at the buyout if he doesn't win. He's not being paid to go 8-4, and that's right where he's finished 3 out of 4 years on the job.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I'll be surprised if Napier makes it to his third year and shocked at the fourth.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, I don't think Leach's seat is anywhere in the vicinity of warm. Now we can have a discussion about whether that's a good thing or a bad thing - I certainly wish he had a little more pressure on him - but I don't think that's the case right now.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I agree with your assessment that it's Harsin then a drop off a cliff before anyone else. I'd say Leach is probably next but that his seat is barely lukewarm. Think most of it has to do with the massive upheaval we've had in recent years. Lots of guys still in the honeymoon phase. Now Leach drops 3 straight to OM and that seat is beyond scorching.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Drinkwitz is one to keep an eye on. They play at Kansas St next year, and some of their best chances to win SEC games other than Vandy are on the road - Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, South Carolina. They lost to Georgia, Kentucky, and Arkansas - get all of those in Missouri next year. He'll need to win 1 or 2 road SEC games and beat Kentucky or Arkansas.

I'd say he and Leach are on equal seats at the moment, but Drinkwitz doesn't have a long record of success as a HC to support him.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Yeah, I don't think Leach's seat is anywhere in the vicinity of warm. Now we can have a discussion about whether that's a good thing or a bad thing - I certainly wish he had a little more pressure on him - but I don't think that's the case right now.
Do you think he'd do better with pressure? I don't see him as being a guy motivated by fear. If we fire him I don't think he'd give a damn, unless we screwed up his pay or something like Texas Tech.

It'd be nice if our fanbase as a whole would just show up and support the damn team. I mean we have a 5-7 year stretch here where we know we'll likely win more than we lose, with a big year scattered here or there.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Leech's seat is warming up fast. If he loses to Ole Miss this year it will be white hot, as it should be.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Now Leach drops 3 straight to OM and that seat is beyond scorching.
I don't think so. I honestly think we need to purge that line of thinking out of the fanbase. What would have happened if Clemson thought like that in the early days of Dabo? What if Michigan had acted on that during the early days of Harbaugh?

Ole Miss is just another data point. Not THE data point.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Leech's seat is warming up fast. If he loses to Ole Miss this year it will be white hot, as it should be.
What if we're 8-4 or 9-3 with a loss at Oxford? And also assuming Ole Miss is in the same realm. You'd really want to fire him with the level of players we've brought in and the trajectory we'd be on?

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
If I was predicting who’d get fired next/leave on bad terms, I’d probably put Lane, Eli, or Jimbo up there with Leach. I think saying Leach is second warmest right now is fair, but I do think others have potential to go south quickly

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
What if we're 8-4 or 9-3 with a loss at Oxford? And also assuming Ole Miss is in the same realm. You'd really want to fire him with the level of players we've brought in and the trajectory we'd be on?
His seat will be white hot if it happens. The Ole Miss game MATTERS. Denying that is does is just stupid. Your scenario is very hypothetical though because realistically, looking at the schedule, we ain't sniffing that kind of record next year. We could be a better team and have a worse record.

Aug 22, 2012
His seat will be white hot if it happens. The Ole Miss game MATTERS. Denying that is does is just stupid. Your scenario is very hypothetical though because realistically, looking at the schedule, we ain't sniffing that kind of record next year. We could be a better team and have a worse record.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You could make that argument that at this specific moment in time, that's true, but he'd almost have to go ETSU and 11 to get into the ballpark of not getting another season.

After this season:

• Nick Saban, Alabama: Could kick puppies and set babies on fire and he would still get another season.
  • Brian Kelley, LSU: If he doesn't win 8 games this year and/or loses to Southern, UAB, or New Mexico, then he's going to be on a copper throne in hell.
  • Billy Napier, Florida: Mullen left a mess behind. He's going to get a year to clean it up. He has to win in year 2 though.
  • Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M: Probably has the A&M job as long as he wants it unless there's some scandal, he has 4 win season, or Texas is back.
  • Kirby Smart, Georgia: Could kick babies and set puppies on fire and he would still get another season.
  • Mark Stoops, Kentucky: He can afford a bad season. They're recruiting well and the fanbase thinks it's turning a corner.
  • Bryan Harsin, Auburn: It will be a miracle if he reaches the season, much less the end of the season. He gone.
  • Mike Leach, Mississippi State: Has to have a winning season and/or beat Ole Miss. Needs to at least look competitive in losses. Year 3 is supposed to be the leap.
  • Lane Kiffin, Ole Miss: He peaked too soon. 10 wins in year 2? All the makings of Cutcliffe part 2. He'll be sitting on kindling if he only wins 6 this season, especially with their cake *** schedule^.
  • Josh Heupel, Tennessee: He can afford a bad season. He took over a train wreck.
  • Eli Drinkwitz, Missouri: As long as he runs a clean program and finishes over .500, he can keep that job forever.
  • Sam Pittman, Arkansas: The fanbase believes in this guy. He brought them out of the cellar into being respectable. He could survive a losing season.
  • Shane Beamer, South Carolina: Another fanbase that believes right now. He's had some nice wins and can afford a couple of flubs over the next 2-3 years.
  • Clark Lea, Vanderbilt: I didn't know who the Vandy coach was until today. Real nice, Clark.

^Speaking of Ole Miss's schedule, I see they play Tulsa this season. When Malik Heath ninja kicks one of the Tulsa players in the chest this time, will they celebrate him as a hero or start calling him trash again?

Last edited:

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I think it has to be.

That list is full of stable winners relative to their fan base or brand new. Leach is performing just fine relative to MSU history, but if he loses to OM for the 3rd time in a row, he goes from comfortable to red hot. It would take some special seasons for the fanbase to rationalize losing to OM every year.

Edit: Reply fail. I still haven't committed to memory that the "reply to thread" button is near where you would type a reply is garbage.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
conference outside of Harsin. He's very far from being let go but he could be the next in line behind Harsin.

• Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M: maybe somewhat warm but they can't fire him b/c of the buyout

I feel like Drinkwitz at Mizzou, Kelly at LSU, and Huepel at TN are on seats that are warmer.

I'm not sure anyone liked the 7-6 **** burger we saw last year, but we won't fire him for 7 win seasons if he does it often. (For those who want to counter with JoMo... it's a completely different ballgame with him cause he inherited a top10 team and drug their *** 8-5).

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Drinkwitz and Lea will both go before Leach does, and why is Heupel’s seat cold? He went 7-5 in a weak division at a school with an insanely irrational fanbase.

A more accurate description would be that Leach has the 2nd warmest seat in the SEC West.

Sep 9, 2012
I would have Leach and Drinkwitz tied for second hottest seat in the SEC, but both of those guys would have to have disaster 2022s to be in danger. It’s hard to see Hardin being the coach at Auburn 12 months from now, but he may be the only coaching change this year.

Sep 9, 2012

Exactly. What happens in the EB should matter slightly more than any other SEC game but not much more. If we win 8-9 regular season games in 2022 with an EB loss, Leach will catch **** from fans but will not face any serious level of pressure from the administration. Or at least he shouldn’t.

At the end of the day, if OM had gone 6-6 last year, there would not be nearly the level of unrest that there is now. It’s asinine but it’s true.

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
His bottom line is 6-6 with an Egg Bowl victory or 7-5 with an Egg Bowl loss. Any worse than those two scenarios and he’s fired. Therefore, his seat is warm and warming to hot.

Has anyone seen anything on a contract extension? When is the last time we let a football coach’s contract get down to the last year? Croom? At the end of the 2022 season, he’ll just have the one year left unless I missed an announcement.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

If you look at warmest as most likely to be fired next, I would bet on Napier and Heupel next before Leach. Hell, I would make an even money bet that Harsin's replacement gets fired before we fire our next head football coach.

Out of all the coaches other than Harsin, I would say Leach is arguably the only one that has used up any of his initial goodwill. That first year was painful to watch and it was painful watching us come out not ready to play against Ole Miss. But Jimbo Fisher has probably burned up as much good will as Leach has in reality. Everybody else is new enough or has achieved enough to be more secure than the day they were hired (maybe not as far as how long before they could likely be fired, but as far as fan sentiment).

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don't think so. I honestly think we need to purge that line of thinking out of the fanbase. What would have happened if Clemson thought like that in the early days of Dabo? What if Michigan had acted on that during the early days of Harbaugh?

Ole Miss is just another data point. Not THE data point.

Dabo beat South Carolina in his interim year and had his team in the ACC Championship during his first full year and won it by his 3rd full year.
If Leach gets us to Atlanta and wins it, then yes, it's easier to overlook a 3rd straight Ole Miss loss.

Overlooking the laughability of comparing Ole Miss to Ohio State, Harbaugh won the Citrus Bowl and had his team right outside the top ten during his first season and in a NY6 bowl in season 2.
If Leach had done that while losing to Ole Miss, then yes, it would be easier to overlook the Ole Miss loss.

The problem is that Leach has lost to Ole Miss twice, but hasn't taken the team to Atlanta, much less win there, and he hasn't gotten the team into a NY6, so if he loses to Ole Miss for a third time, he doesn't have the positive data points that Dabo and Harbaugh did during their first two years. I also checked and neither of them lost to Memphis.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Edit: Reply fail. I still haven't committed to memory that the "reply to thread" button is near where you would type a reply is garbage.

Yeah, it's confusing. I've done it plenty of times too.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
His bottom line is 6-6 with an Egg Bowl victory or 7-5 with an Egg Bowl loss. Any worse than those two scenarios and he’s fired. Therefore, his seat is warm and warming to hot.

Has anyone seen anything on a contract extension? When is the last time we let a football coach’s contract get down to the last year? Croom? At the end of the 2022 season, he’ll just have the one year left unless I missed an announcement.
Hahahahaha fired? Yeah okay buddy, better adjust your expectations. He ain't getting fired even if he goes 3-9.

That said, 6-6 with a loss to Ole Miss will probably get his seat a good bit warmer. But even if that happened, chances are high that he'd rebound in 2023 and beat Ole Miss at home, so it's a moot point.

You guys hoping for Leach to fail or get fired are going to be disappointed. He won't do either of those, he's too good of a coach to be bad enough to get fired, especially this early in the tenure. Better off hoping he tweets out something dumb or locks a player in a shed.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Let's be honest: Current temperature is irrelevant as the SEC is a microwave for coaching seats

All it takes is one group of pissed off boosters, some sort of perceived bad optics, or something short of a 10-win season to kickstart this discussion

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
Bookmarked. No coach on either side of the rivalry has survived 3 straight Egg Bowl losses. He may be the first, but he’s going to have to have a special season and win over some of the cigar boys he’s lost. 3-9 and he stays?? If he loses the first two games, he’ll be gone by the bye week.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Bookmarked. No coach on either side of the rivalry has survived 3 straight Egg Bowl losses. He may be the first, but he’s going to have to have a special season and win over some of the cigar boys he’s lost. 3-9 and he stays?? If he loses the first two games, he’ll be gone by the bye week.

Brian Hadad had that stat wrong.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Hahahahaha fired? Yeah okay buddy, better adjust your expectations. He ain't getting fired even if he goes 3-9.

That said, 6-6 with a loss to Ole Miss will probably get his seat a good bit warmer. But even if that happened, chances are high that he'd rebound in 2023 and beat Ole Miss at home, so it's a moot point.

You guys hoping for Leach to fail or get fired are going to be disappointed. He won't do either of those, he's too good of a coach to be bad enough to get fired, especially this early in the tenure. Better off hoping he tweets out something dumb or locks a player in a shed.

Unless you're telling me those 3 wins are against Alabama, Georgia, and ole Miss, Leach's *** will be FIRED with aggression if he goes 3-9 in 2022.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Unless you're telling me those 3 wins are against Alabama, Georgia, and ole Miss, Leach's *** will be FIRED with aggression if he goes 3-9 in 2022.
I was making a point that he's just not getting fired barring extreme circumstances. Of course you all would run with that.

He's not going 3-9 anyway so you'll have to just continue to be big mad at ******* Leach.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

So many people not seeing that with the 2022 schedule. We will be at least a touchdown underdog in at least 6 games.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login