Dicussion on STM yesterday - Does Leach have the "warmest" seat in the SEC...

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I was making a point that he's just not getting fired barring extreme circumstances. Of course you all would run with that.

He's not going 3-9 anyway so you'll have to just continue to be big mad at ******* Leach.

You're right, responding to what you wrote was my mistake.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
conference outside of Harsin. He's very far from being let go but he could be the next in line behind Harsin.

Like if Harsin was #1, Leach would be #20 with nothing in between.

• Nick Saban, Alabama: cold
  • Brian Kelley, LSU: cold
  • Billy Napier, Florida: cold
  • Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M: maybe somewhat warm but they can't fire him b/c of the buyout
  • Kirby Smart, Georgia: cold
  • Mark Stoops, Kentucky: cold
  • Bryan Harsin, Auburn: hot
  • Mike Leach, Mississippi State: some warmth
  • Lane Kiffin, Ole Miss: cold
  • Josh Heupel, Tennessee: cold
  • Eli Drinkwitz, Missouri: maybe some heat
  • Sam Pittman, Arkansas: cold
  • Shane Beamer, South Carolina: cold
  • Clark Lea, Vanderbilt: It's Vandy

It's the SEC. Even a one game thrashing can turn the heat up on anyone but Saban, Smart and Fisher.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The last coach to lose 3 straight Egg Bowls and keep his job was Wade Walker 1958-1960, he lost the 1961 Egg Bowl and was fired/resigned. If Leach loses the Egg Bowl this year, there's going to be a lot of really pissed off supporters.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Do you think he'd do better with pressure? I don't see him as being a guy motivated by fear. If we fire him I don't think he'd give a damn, unless we screwed up his pay or something like Texas Tech.

It'd be nice if our fanbase as a whole would just show up and support the damn team. I mean we have a 5-7 year stretch here where we know we'll likely win more than we lose, with a big year scattered here or there.

I think he would do better with some higher expectations set for the program, as most coaches would probably do. 6-6 and Beat Ole Miss are pretty low bars, and on the latter one, he hasn't been able to do that yet.

I show up plenty. It would be nice if more did. But I understand the consternation of many about driving two or more hours one way to Starkville to watch us **** the bed in the middle of the day against Louisiana Tech. People will show up. Our fan base has demonstrated this in the past when there was a reason to show up.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Dabo beat South Carolina in his interim year and had his team in the ACC Championship during his first full year and won it by his 3rd full year.
If Leach gets us to Atlanta and wins it, then yes, it's easier to overlook a 3rd straight Ole Miss loss.

Overlooking the laughability of comparing Ole Miss to Ohio State, Harbaugh won the Citrus Bowl and had his team right outside the top ten during his first season and in a NY6 bowl in season 2.
If Leach had done that while losing to Ole Miss, then yes, it would be easier to overlook the Ole Miss loss.

The problem is that Leach has lost to Ole Miss twice, but hasn't taken the team to Atlanta, much less win there, and he hasn't gotten the team into a NY6, so if he loses to Ole Miss for a third time, he doesn't have the positive data points that Dabo and Harbaugh did during their first two years. I also checked and neither of them lost to Memphis.

Thank you for having some sense. Sure it is not THE data point, but like you said Leach doesn't have a stellar regular season record or an impressive bowl to fall back on. Sure, scUM loses a lot of production but winning on the road in a rivalry game is still a tall order. Leach would have to have a great record prior to dropping that game to have any goodwill left. 5-7, 6-6, or even 7-5 is not impressive with that loss.. I don't think Cohen gets rid of him if that happens, but he will continue to lose the fanbase

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
IDK a lot of MSU Fans will be satisfied with mediocrity in Football and Basketball after winning the Natty in Baseball, until Ole Miss wins one in Baseball.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
What if we're 8-4 or 9-3 with a loss at Oxford? And also assuming Ole Miss is in the same realm. You'd really want to fire him with the level of players we've brought in and the trajectory we'd be on?

A lot of State fans still measure their dicks with Ole Miss rulers.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
IDK a lot of MSU Fans will be satisfied with mediocrity in Football and Basketball after winning the Natty in Baseball, until Ole Miss wins one in Baseball.

There's that word everybody keeps throwing out to justify their little man disease of college sports.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
For me Drinkwitz followed by Lane.

With Lane, I call it the Mullen effect. If he seems to be making the jump to another program or always connected with potential job openings and not doing anything to quell the rumors, I could see the fan base and administration turning on him. I also think it's going to take one bad year with portal transfers not panning out for the mood to turn south quickly in Oxford.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
We were a decent FG kicker and 2 incredibly bad, literal game-changing calls from being 10-2 regular season. The Egg Bowl was a close, hard-fought game that we looked like we might even take over at one point. Things went south, but that happens with momentum.

If we go into the Egg Bowl 10-1 (wouldn't have taken much) or even 9-2, that EB might have had a whole different feel to it.

Leach is not and should not be on the hot seat. oh, and Kiffin inherited a squad much better suited to what he wanted to do, not requiring anywhere near the repetitions & learning curve Leach's system does. In the long run we will be better for it. Leach will have an offense with the players he wants running like a well-oiled machine. He's got plenty of talent on defense now, and if we can keep Zack for a while, we'll get to see a Leach offense paired with a very-good-to-great defense.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
conference outside of Harsin. He's very far from being let go but he could be the next in line behind Harsin.

Like if Harsin was #1, Leach would be #20 with nothing in between.

• Nick Saban, Alabama: cold
  • Brian Kelley, LSU: cold
  • Billy Napier, Florida: cold
  • Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M: maybe somewhat warm but they can't fire him b/c of the buyout
  • Kirby Smart, Georgia: cold
  • Mark Stoops, Kentucky: cold
  • Bryan Harsin, Auburn: hot
  • Mike Leach, Mississippi State: some warmth
  • Lane Kiffin, Ole Miss: cold
  • Josh Heupel, Tennessee: cold
  • Eli Drinkwitz, Missouri: maybe some heat
  • Sam Pittman, Arkansas: cold
  • Shane Beamer, South Carolina: cold
  • Clark Lea, Vanderbilt: It's Vandy

What is STM?

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Bookmarked. No coach on either side of the rivalry has survived 3 straight Egg Bowl losses. He may be the first, but he’s going to have to have a special season and win over some of the cigar boys he’s lost. 3-9 and he stays?? If he loses the first two games, he’ll be gone by the bye week.

How many of those times was the first of the 3 straight losses with a team that fielded 45 players and still played competitively?

We had that one and then in Year 2 we faced a Top 10 OM team with the best QB in the country while fielding a team that wasn’t even in the Top 25.

Context is important.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I don't think so. I honestly think we need to purge that line of thinking out of the fanbase. What would have happened if Clemson thought like that in the early days of Dabo? What if Michigan had acted on that during the early days of Harbaugh?

Ole Miss is just another data point. Not THE data point.

I agree with you here but there are a lot of Bulldog Smiths who keep their eyes focused on those Jonesing Rebels.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
His bottom line is 6-6 with an Egg Bowl victory or 7-5 with an Egg Bowl loss. Any worse than those two scenarios and he’s fired. Therefore, his seat is warm and warming to hot.

Has anyone seen anything on a contract extension? When is the last time we let a football coach’s contract get down to the last year? Croom? At the end of the 2022 season, he’ll just have the one year left unless I missed an announcement.

I think we renewed Croom in 07 (Liberty Bowl year) and fired him at the end of 08

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login