Did any of you noticed this past weekend games...

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Teams getting hurt by the new clock and time out rules. I only watched parts of games.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It did make the game seem to go faster but one thing I saw said the games weren't really that much shorter in broadcast time because of added commercials

Reactions: onewoof

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It did make the game seem to go faster but one thing I saw said the games weren't really that much shorter in broadcast time because of added commercials
When they made the changes to shorten games I kind of figure the networks would take advantage and sell more ads.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
When they made the changes to shorten games I kind of figure the networks would take advantage and sell more ads.
Absolutely. I timed a Tv timeout in the Vandy game and it was 3 1/2 minutes. From what I read, the NFL is between 1 and 2 minutes and they require 8. CFB averages 12. It all seems so purposefully ambiguous.

I am not a fan of the running first down clock. That’s one of my favorite parts of CFB endings. It works in the NFL because those guys are so good at clock management and play selection, but I think it’s going to hurt the organized confusion of the last minute college football drive.

Also, as someone that watches from home, I don’t care about the length of the games. I could watch 6 hours of a thirteen OT LSU Arkansas game. If you told me at the end of the year I got to watch 48 hours of State football vs 36 hours, I’ll take 48 non Croom hours. Again, I’m not at the game so I can understand the actual attendees issues with it.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Absolutely. I timed a Tv timeout in the Vandy game and it was 3 1/2 minutes. From what I read, the NFL is between 1 and 2 minutes and they require 8. CFB averages 12. It all seems so purposefully ambiguous.

I am not a fan of the running first down clock. That’s one of my favorite parts of CFB endings. It works in the NFL because those guys are so good at clock management and play selection, but I think it’s going to hurt the organized confusion of the last minute college football drive.

Also, as someone that watches from home, I don’t care about the length of the games. I could watch 6 hours of a thirteen OT LSU Arkansas game. If you told me at the end of the year I got to watch 48 hours of State football vs 36 hours, I’ll take 48 non Croom hours. Again, I’m not at the game so I can understand the actual attendees issues with it.
I dont like it either but they are going to stop it in the final 2 minutes of each half.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I dont like it either but they are going to stop it in the final 2 minutes of each half.
That’s a good compromise. There’s no need at all for it for most of the game anyway. But this keeps it for the endings.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

Note to self, don't be down at the end of the half or game.

• Haha
Reactions: mcdawg22 and patdog

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I didn’t see anyone really bleed clock like they could have. A lot of unders hit though. I think teams with weak defenses will suffer the most. A fast-paced, effective offense won’t be able to bail out a bad defense as easily now. Kiffin is already giving public statements complaining and saying “defensive coaches” influenced the new rule. He’s basically giving the fanbase their excuse for 6-6 this year. It’s all Saban’s fault.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

Think About It GIF by Identity

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Honestly, about all of the games I watched were pretty non-competitive, so the stopped first down clock wouldn't have been a difference maker anyway.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login