Did anyone else hate the end of that Super Bowl like I did?

patdog

May 28, 2007
One, you hate to see a game decided by an official. And then you had the fiasco of the Eagles trying to let the Chiefs score, the Chiefs downing the ball at the one, and then waste the next 2-1/2 minutes (more like 10 in real time with the time outs), before kicking the field goal we all knew was inevitable. I mean, I get it all. The foul wasn't blatant, but it's a call you probably make in the 2nd quarter, so you should call it in the 4th. And I get why the Chiefs refused to score the TD. So I don't blame any of them. But man, did it ever make for a boring last 3 minutes of what had been a pretty good game for 57 minutes.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
One, you hate to see a game decided by an official. And then you had the fiasco of the Eagles trying to let the Chiefs score, the Chiefs downing the ball at the one, and then waste the next 2-1/2 minutes (more like 10 in real time with the time outs), before kicking the field goal we all knew was inevitable. I mean, I get it all. The foul wasn't blatant, but it's a call you probably make in the 2nd quarter, so you should call it in the 4th. And I get why the Chiefs refused to score the TD. So I don't blame any of them. But man, did it ever make for a boring last 3 minutes of what had been a pretty good game for 57 minutes.
I did hate the flag there. It was a borderline call...he grabbed the guy but it didn't look like it influenced his route. But credit to the player afterwards for owning it and saying it was a good call.

Philly really has nobody to blame but themselves. The turnover/TD was the difference in the game. They were controlling the game until then.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I did hate the flag there. It was a borderline call...he grabbed the guy but it didn't look like it influenced his route. But credit to the player afterwards for owning it and saying it was a good call.

Philly really has nobody to blame but themselves. The turnover/TD was the difference in the game. They were controlling the game until then.
The call was right but it was very weak. It’s sort of like offensive holding….you can find it on every play if you want to be picky. Just sucked it happened but I also agree that Philly had major problems in the second half. Kansas City never punted in the second half.

Reactions: DerHntr and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
The turnover/TD was the difference in the game.
I hate it because I like Jalen Hurts. But you're right. It wasn't even a forced fumble either. He was under some pressure but he just dropped the ball and then kicked it. Without that, it's 24-7 at halftime and I'm not sure the Chiefs could come back from that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The idea that a foul isn't a foul or shouldn't be call late in a game is idiotic. Hell I would commit a foul every time I feel like I am beat late in the 4th quarter, because they are NOT going to call it, based on this philosophy.
Agree. Like I said, it it's a foul in the 2nd quarter, it's got to be a foul at the end of the game.

3dawgpups

Jan 30, 2023
Yeah, I hated the call at the end. But the Chiefs had a touchdown called back that was really close. I thought the receiver caught the ball and turned which in my opinion is a football move and fumbled. They have way too many rules now for a legit catch, its too much. I thought it was a really good called game.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Loved the call and loved the ending. Great strategy to run the game down to 8 seconds. Very professional job by the coaching staff and the officials on the field. Too bad the officials weren't as focused at other times during the game when they let that kind of foul go. It was the best Super Bowl in the games history! ****

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Don't you understand an official NOT calling a penalty also effects the game? Therefore the officials have influence either way. There was a 3rd down hold/PI not called in the first half that was just as influential. And this call changed nothing except the time the Eagles had to try and score.

Reactions: olblue

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah, I hated the call at the end. But the Chiefs had a touchdown called back that was really close. I thought the receiver caught the ball and turned which in my opinion is a football move and fumbled. They have way too many rules now for a legit catch, its too much. I thought it was a really good called game.
I thought it was a clear incompletion. I was surprised when they even reviewed it. But I agree, the rules for catching a pass in the NFL are asinine.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
There were definitely some calls that went the Eagles way as well. Goddert didn't catch that 3rd & 14 pass before going out of bounds. That second fumble could have stood but was ruled an incomplete pass. On top of the play Bruce mentions.

In the end, the Eagles lost because their defense couldn't touch Mahomes. No sacks, after leading the league in sacks. Chiefs scored on every possession of the 2nd half. They deserved the win.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The NFL's existential crisis (or any sports league). Is it more important to protect the game of football or to entertain fans? It's an honest question.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
View attachment 309614

That's holding - He would have been beaten for a TD had he not held. Get it. It wasn't decided by the officials, it was by the player who held.
photo stills don't tell the story.

The grab didn't impede the runner, and the runner wouldn't have beaten him for the TD because the throw wasn't catchable in any way.

It's a penalty by the letter of the rule. But you can call that on every play. I wouldn't have thrown the flag there because it didn't impact the play.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Thought this was a really good analysis of two of the Chief's touchdowns:

This is excellent analysis. Philly was very predictable on defense and once KC figured it out, they kinda had their way.

Reactions: FQDawg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I loved the ending. Only because it had to cringe the rectum hurt for the Eagles. Their coach Nick Sybianni is an absolute vibratory tool. Andy Reid on the other hand is a cheeseburger eating, Hawaiian shirt wearing, fat dude that is the father in law we all wish we had...

andy reid football GIF by FOX Sports: Watch. Enjoy. Repeat.

Reactions: Chesusdog

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007

The grab didn't impede the runner, and the runner wouldn't have beaten him for the TD because the throw wasn't catchable in any way.

It's a penalty by the letter of the rule. But you can call that on every play. I wouldn't have thrown the flag there because it didn't impact the play.
It wasn't catchable because of the hold. That hold slows the guy down by a step or two. Also holding does not take into account the catchability of the pass at all. It happens before the throw.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It wasn't catchable because of the hold. That hold slows the guy down by a step or two. Also holding does not take into account the catchability of the pass at all. It happens before the throw.
You're not being honest. Watch the replay. He wouldn't have gotten to that throw if he wasn't touched and had a rocket up his ***.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
The real winner of that game was Andy Reid. They totally out coached the Eagles' staff. And you know that destroyed the Philadelphia fans who remember how Reid couldn't get it done when he was their HC.

The Eagles had the team and talent to beat the Chiefs, but they did not have the coaching to get it done.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It doesn't matter the catchability. Like Bruce said, defensive holding is a PRE pass penalty.
I'm not saying it has anything to do with the penalty. I understand that catchability is not a consideration when an official makes that call. I only brought it up to counter the suggestion that the player would have been able to catch the ball if there wasn't a hold. That's just not the case.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
I always go with - if it’s a foul in the 1st quarter, it’s a foul in the 4th - the refs shouldn’t be calling or not calling fouls based on magnitude of the moment

patdog

May 28, 2007
He needed more than a step or two to make that a catchable ball. It was definitely holding. Not blatant, but a clear foul. But if he doesn't grab that jersey, the Chiefs are kicking a FG and we're set up for a potential exciting ending to the game.

wrapit

Nov 30, 2008
The idea that a foul isn't a foul or shouldn't be call late in a game is idiotic. Hell I would commit a foul every time I feel like I am beat late in the 4th quarter, because they are NOT going to call it, based on this philosophy.
No, you call the obvious/blatant fouls late in game with game on the line, but you (to borrow a term from basketball - "swallow your whistle") don't call the the soft fouls like that one. The foul did not deter much from the play. You want to let the players decide the game at that point in the game.

Same thing happened two weeks ago on the late hit against QB (was it Mahomes?) to move the ball up 15 yards for a late FG to win the game. Mahomes jumped up after the soft late hit. Officials overstepping again.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The call was right but it was very weak. It’s sort of like offensive holding….you can find it on every play if you want to be picky. Just sucked it happened but I also agree that Philly had major problems in the second half. Kansas City never punted in the second half.
I once had a boss who reffed JUCO and he told me there indeed are Offensive holdings on every down but a good ref will only call it when it impacts the play or if it's overly blatant.

Reactions: patdog

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Where was the ball when the foul was called? If it hadn't been flagged, KC might have made the field goal to go ahead by 3 then the Eagles would have had the ball for one last drive.
Would have been a hell of a lot more fun to watch the last few minutes then.
Particularly if Jones could have made a game ending sack.
But that call pretty much deflated the whole experience.... right call or not.

Reactions: patdog

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010

yes it did, the guy was beaten and grabbed him, slowed him down enough that he was able to recover. Otherwise he would have been wide open for an easy TD. There was no safety over the top.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012

As a general rule, anytime the official sees the jersey being pulled away from the body, it’s going to draw a flag. It was a clear tug on the jersey right out in the open. It’s going to get called.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
So, you just let the defense hold. NO, that was a penalty and should have been called.

Tell the DB not to grab him if he doesn't want it called.

For those that don't think it matters to the play: The WR had changed direction so fast that the DB was still going the other direction. He had to grab his shirt to help stop himself and to slow the WR to give himself a chance to get back in the play, otherwise the WR would have been wide open running free in the endzone.

The pass would have been on time and most likely a TD.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Where was the ball when the foul was called? If it hadn't been flagged, KC might have made the field goal to go ahead by 3 then the Eagles would have had the ball for one last drive.
Would have been a hell of a lot more fun to watch the last few minutes then.
Particularly if Jones could have made a game ending sack.
But that call pretty much deflated the whole experience.... right call or not.
So your argument is, it’s okay to ignore the rules if the result is more “fun?” That’s a take.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
I once had a boss who reffed JUCO and he told me there indeed are Offensive holdings on every down but a good ref will only call it when it impacts the play or if it's overly blatant.
I get what your former boss is saying but I hate this argument. I'd rather them call it every time they see it so that teams start to adjust and, you know, stop actually holding.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Absolutely hated it. I don’t care if it’s the “correct call”. Refs should swallow the whistle in the last few mins of games unless there’s a blatant pentalty. If that penalty wasn’t called, no one in the media would be discussing that ‘missed call’ today, we would be discussing the epic ending and how the Eagles managed or mismanaged their last drive. The issue is refs want to be a part of history because of their ego.

• Sad

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
yes it did, the guy was beaten and grabbed him, slowed him down enough that he was able to recover. Otherwise he would have been wide open for an easy TD. There was no safety over the top.
The only people who would say this are people who were rooting for KC. It's a very biased take and watching the replay with an open mind would be beneficial.

I didn't like either team, so I'm watching that play unobjectively. In the moment, I had the same reaction that Olson had on the commentary.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
So your argument is, it’s okay to ignore the rules if the result is more “fun?” That’s a take.
If you're not some rabid fan for one team or another, you want to be entertained.

The NFL hasn't really been a sport for 25 years now. It's about protecting a brand and audience entertainment.

I was not entertained.

...after the call anyway. Before that call, it was one of the better Super Bowls, I've seen. And I'm old enough to have seen all 57 of them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login