Did yall know Greg Knox’s family…

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Ace Ventura Good Call GIF by Jim Carrey

• Haha
Reactions: ChinaDawgSunflower

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
So why so many “no” responses to him being the head guy? Why do y’all not want the guy?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He was interviewed during the second half of yesterday’s game and said we need to run the ball more.

More 2 yard runs.

He is doing a good job in a tight spot. Just be prepared to run the ball Thursday night to try to shorten the game and keep Kiffin from getting the score over 50.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
You have to ask this after what we just went thru?

He's a good guy but never been a coordinator or a HC at a lower school.
That’s a valid point. We’ve also hired the hottest coordinator in the country and it be a complete failure. We recently hired a coordinator we thought was looking to leave us for bigger opportunities. I’m not advocating for Knox, but to disqualify him just because he’s not an in vogue coordinator isn’t a good reason to me.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
He was listed as "Senior Offensive Analyst" this season. What exactly about this year's offense did he analyze and what conclusion did he come to? I think that would be a legitimate question to ask if he's interviewed for being retained.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That’s a valid point. We’ve also hired the hottest coordinator in the country and it be a complete failure. We recently hired a coordinator we thought was looking to leave us for bigger opportunities. I’m not advocating for Knox, but to disqualify him just because he’s not an in vogue coordinator isn’t a good reason to me.
I think he’s being disqualified because he’s never had the minimum level of responsibility that makes him qualified to even possibly be a successful HC.

Here’s the list of long term success head coaching hires who were never at least a coordinator before taking the job:

/end list

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
So why so many “no” responses to him being the head guy? Why do y’all not want the guy?
He doesn’t call plays. We would constantly be reliant upon the coordinators who can bolt at anytime. The last two successful coaches at State either called plays or ran the offense.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I think he’s being disqualified because he’s never had the minimum level of responsibility that makes him qualified to even possibly be a successful HC.

Here’s the list of long term success head coaching hires who were never at least a coordinator before taking the job:

/end list
How many long term successful hires would you say we’ve had?

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Hiring Greg Knox as permanent head coach if he beats Ole Miss would be the most Mississippi State thing ever, seeing as a good number of our fans care only about beating OM. He’s a career running backs coach and wasn’t even an on field assistant this year.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
How many long term successful hires would you say we’ve had?
Sherrill, Mullen, and Leach since I’ve been around….we hit on every other one it seems.

Leach is arguable because of the untimely death, but I don’t think anyone with an IQ higher than their shoe size questions whether or not he would have kept us in that 6-8 win range every year had that not happened.

And FYI, my comment wasn’t only about MSU. Literally no one in the SEC / P5 should ever hire someone who has never at least been a coordinator at the college level. The track record of those hires is pretty much 0% success rate.

The only exception being Orgeron’s NFL Pro Bowl team that won the natty while he watched Joe Brady do all the heavy lifting….that’s all that kept his tenure at LSU from being a total disaster. But he still wound up getting the boot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I’d like to keep him on the new coaching staff. Good coach, good guy, and we've got a go to experienced interim if we have to fire the next coach.

Good coach, good guy, and we've got a go to experienced interim if when we have to fire the next coach.

FIFY.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Sherrill, Mullen, and Leach since I’ve been around….we hit on every other one it seems.

Leach is arguable because of the untimely death, but I don’t think anyone with an IQ higher than their shoe size questions whether or not he would have kept us in that 6-8 win range every year had that not happened.

And FYI, my comment wasn’t only about MSU. Literally no one in the SEC / P5 should ever hire someone who has never at least been a coordinator at the college level. The track record of those hires is pretty much 0% success rate.

The only exception being Orgeron’s NFL Pro Bowl team that won the natty while he watched Joe Brady do all the heavy lifting….that’s all that kept his tenure at LSU from being a total disaster. But he still wound up getting the boot.
Orgeron had HC experience when LSU hired him.

Hail State

Dec 27, 2009
Lived in Starkville for the 2022/2023 school year while he coached at Buffalo.
I’m so glad the posters on this site have nothing to do with the hiring process. One glance at this board at any point since we fired ZA and it’s no wonder we spent 40 years wandering in the wilderness.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
Hiring Greg Knox as permanent head coach if he beats Ole Miss would be the most Mississippi State thing ever…
Actually, giving the job to an interim coach, who has no coordinator or head coaching experience but wins the Egg Bowl to finish 6-6, would be the most Ole Miss thing ever.

See Luke, Matt.

eta: gotta keep Coach Knox on staff though.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Orgeron had HC experience when LSU hired him.
Yes, in an odd circumstance he did have HC experience with no coordinator experience before he got his second chance as a HC….and he still never even picked up a DC gig in that 9-10 year period or whatever it was. And that first HC stint obviously failed miserably….with the second one failing less miserably but still failing nonetheless.

Orgeron is a poster child for why the “CEO hire” is a joke of a concept in college football, and it never works out over the long haul. He got two chances at it and failed both times.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Orgeron is a poster child for why the “CEO hire” is a joke of a concept in college football, and it never works out over the long haul. He got two chances at it and failed both times.
Would we say he failed at LSU? He won a National Championship.

Reactions: dickiedawg

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I appreciate him stepping up again and trying to get these guys focused and hyped up, but this coaching staff has not done a good job this year and I'm not for keeping any of them. It's been a huge failure both with game preparation and focus as well as recruiting.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
He was listed as "Senior Offensive Analyst" this season. What exactly about this year's offense did he analyze and what conclusion did he come to? I think that would be a legitimate question to ask if he's interviewed for being retained.
Great post. I can tell you’re very knowledgeable in how college football coaching staffs work

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Great post. I can tell you’re very knowledgeable in how college football coaching staffs work
Tell us then oh wise one, what exactly does this position entail? I Googled it and the ONLY offensive analyst that comes up is Kliff Kingsbury. Here is something I read about him, "Kingsbury cannot actively coach or instruct players, but will help the Trojans game-plan, lend another set of eyes to the quarterbacks and be a resource for players and staff, according to Riley, who added that he was hoping the NCAA would have passed a rule it has been discussing in recent months about allowing more coaches to work with players on the field, following the NFL model.

So, again, tell us old wise one since Knox and Kingsbury seem to be the only ones anywhere exactly what did Knox do for us this season, what did he discover, and what did he do to correct the issues?

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Tell us then oh wise one, what exactly does this position entail? I Googled it and the ONLY offensive analyst that comes up is Kliff Kingsbury. Here is something I read about him, "Kingsbury cannot actively coach or instruct players, but will help the Trojans game-plan, lend another set of eyes to the quarterbacks and be a resource for players and staff, according to Riley, who added that he was hoping the NCAA would have passed a rule it has been discussing in recent months about allowing more coaches to work with players on the field, following the NFL model.

So, again, tell us old wise one since Knox and Kingsbury seem to be the only ones anywhere exactly what did Knox do for us this season, what did he discover, and what did he do to correct the issues?
So Knox, an off the field staffer, was the problem with the offense?

cling84

Aug 22, 2012
From what I have seen and heard Knox does not enjoy being the head man, he only took on the interim duties here and at Florida because he knew it was a short term gig. He enjoys position coaching and recruiting more than being fully in charge. With that said he is an excellent position coach and recruiter and should be given a job with the new coach.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Would we say he failed at LSU? He won a National Championship.
He won a national championship with a Children’s Hospital funded All-Star team that was up there with 2001 Miami as being possibly the greatest college football team of all time. There wasn’t much of an opportunity for him to 17 that up.

He was still a failure over the mid to long term, which is what this discussion is about. Just like Larry Coker was, and Gene Chizik if you want to keep going down that path of bad head coaches who fell asś-backwards into NC’s. And since MSU is never going to have a collection of talent anywhere close to those Miami or LSU teams, the CEO route makes even less sense for us.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
So Knox, an off the field staffer, was the problem with the offense?

You're the one claiming to be so "knowledgeable in how college football coaching staffs work" (in your original post), tell us his role since there seems to only be one other one in the country........

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
He wasn't a coach this season. I think he worked for the Athletic Department as an offensive analyst. He will have a job in some compacity if he wants one.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login