Dillon Gabriel in the portal

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Believe it or not - yes*

He’ll have other options though, and Gabriel might want to put some NFL film out there in a different system. Or we might just get outbid.
He's got film with 2 teams now. He's been starting for 5 years. How much more does he need?

I have a feeling this is one of those deals that's about NIL and NIL only. Mercenary.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Dillon, it's time.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He's going to be wearing about 10 different uni combinations next season. And it aint maron and whit
I get the feeling you're trying to tell us something here. Just wish I could break this code you're speaking in. **

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He's going to be wearing about 10 different uni combinations next season. And it aint maron and whit
I tend to agree, somebody like them will swoop in, once he gets an idea of the depth charts.

Same. I will believe it when I see it. This like this never go our way. He has a better chance of winding up at some FCS directional school that runs the veer.
I remember Mullen saying that if the current portal rules were in place, then Cam would have gone with him to MSU. Guess we will find out if that line of thinking is true. I told people the other day that MSU never signs QB prospects like this that actually pan out, I was crucified, and told "It'S a DiFfErEnT eRa" as if I didn't know that. The same principles ring true.

TulsaLawDawg

Aug 24, 2012
I mean, it’s not like he left OU bc they don’t have NIL money or that the offense is dramatically changing. I think it’s pretty clear he’s following Lebby. He’s done it his entire collegiate career and it’s worked well for him.

• Haha
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I mean, it’s not like he left OU bc they don’t have NIL money or that the offense is dramatically changing. I think it’s pretty clear he’s following Lebby. He’s done it his entire collegiate career and it’s worked well for him.
One is not like the other. Oklahoma was a step up, with better players around him, from UCF. Why would you come now to a rebuild unless we pay him a bunch of money that he's not worth?

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I tend to agree, somebody like them will swoop in, once he gets an idea of the depth charts.

I remember Mullen saying that if the current portal rules were in place, then Cam would have gone with him to MSU. Guess we will find out if that line of thinking is true. I told people the other day that MSU never signs QB prospects like this that actually pan out, I was crucified, and told "It'S a DiFfErEnT eRa" as if I didn't know that. The same principles ring true.
Out of all of our coaches, I would think at least Lebby's system can take a mid tier QB and make him better. The problem is we have fans that, after we lose out on a couple of targets, will just start yelling to give the job to Parson and that doesn't need to happen. There are plenty of talented QBs out there besides Gabriel and Ward. If we lose out on Gabriel its not the end of the world, but Lebby knows who fits his system more than any expert on this board.

Aug 22, 2012
Out of all of our coaches, I would think at least Lebby's system can take a mid tier QB and make him better. The problem is we have fans that, after we lose out on a couple of targets, will just start yelling to give the job to Parson and that doesn't need to happen. There are plenty of talented QBs out there besides Gabriel and Ward. If we lose out on Gabriel its not the end of the world, but Lebby knows who fits his system more than any expert on this board.
Too much truth here....i don't believe you*

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He's got film with 2 teams now. He's been starting for 5 years. How much more does he need?

I have a feeling this is one of those deals that's about NIL and NIL only. Mercenary.
Normally you’d be right, but I think this is a passing of the torch situation. They’ve got a 5* on the bench that would be playing somewhere else for the next 2-4 years that would be gone if Gabriel wasn’t pushed out the door. Probably was asked to move on. And I think Lebby guaranteed him a spot already to make it a smooth transition if he wants it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Normally you’d be right, but I think this is a passing of the torch situation. They’ve got a 5* on the bench that would be playing somewhere else for the next 2-4 years that would be gone if Gabriel wasn’t pushed out the door. Probably was asked to move on. And I think Lebby guaranteed him a spot already to make it a smooth transition if he wants it.
Did he get his spot taken last year? I didn't watch a down of Oklahoma football. But that does make sense.

Looking at @thatsbaseball's post, seems crazy to me to pay this dude in the realm of 1.2M for one year, when we don't have much around him.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
This makes the most sense to me. Also I heard some of our podcasters talking about the complexity of Lebby's offense. If that's true, we need a guy who knows the language already for one year while the other QBs catch up.

Reactions: patdog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Did he get his spot taken last year? I didn't watch a down of Oklahoma football.

Looking at @thatsbaseball's post, seems crazy to me to pay this dude in the realm of 1.2M for one year, when we don't have much around him.
1. We need a guy who knows the offense or we won't have a chance next year. Gabriel gives us a chance.
2. Lebby and Selmon have been saying that State can be a national contender. If so and to prove that in the public's perception, you have to win high profile recruiting battles at least once in a while. This should be one we can win.

Reactions: eckie1 and AFDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
1. We need a guy who knows the offense or we won't have a chance next year. Gabriel gives us a chance.
2. Lebby and Selmon have been saying that State can be a national contender. If so and to prove that in the public's perception, you have to win high profile recruiting battles at least once in a while. This should be one we can win.
Understand. Of course, I'm always looking to the future, and it seems to me we will have another 'up' roster in 2025, so I was thinking we should groom the team to that, rather than spend a bunch of money to go 6-6 at best in 2024.

That said, if we bring in Gabriel, 2-3 OL, 2-3 WR.......that's another thing. But that's a lot of 'hits'.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Kind of wild to see his timeline:
June 2018 - Commits to Army
November 2018 - Decommits from Army
December 2018 - Commits & Signs to UCF
November 2021 - Enters Transfer Portal
December 2021 - Transfers to UCLA
January 2022 - Transfers to OU
December 2023 - Enters Transfer Portal

Kind of sums up modern day college football.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Didn't he also quit the UCF team 3 games into his JR season so he could take a redshirt? I hope we get him, but damn, I hate what college sports has become. And that's nothing against him. I'm sure hundreds of other college football players resumes look about the same.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

He follows his coach. I would be shocked if it's not msu. That winning drive was for a qb

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I am hoping this starts to stabilize in a year or two, once #1, all these COVID 6th year clowns are gone (they remind me of baby boomers just sticking around to 'GeT wHaTs MiNe') and the boosters at all these schools stop overpaying these guys once they see the lack of return on investment.

I guess sometimes you get lucky, which is what these guys did. But they'll find out the hard way about their lack of alumni loyalty once graduated. Many of the beloved athletes always have that to fall back on, and that won't be the case with these transfer-happy guys.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login