Dillon Gabriel in the portal

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
If lebby can't land his guy that followed him to ou from UCF we hired the wrong guy
It’s not that simple at all. Oregon’s a CFP contender every year in a 12-team playoff, and will be able to outspend us if they choose.

I hope he likes Lebby enough to follow him to a 3rd stop. He certainly liked him enough to follow him to OU. That’s really the only thing in our favor.

It’s very similar to Cam Newton….where we have the coach with deep ties to the player now as HC, but it’s still going to come down to some combination of money and prestige. We’ve gotta pay up….no two ways about it.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Did he get his spot taken last year? I didn't watch a down of Oklahoma football. But that does make sense.

Looking at @thatsbaseball's post, seems crazy to me to pay this dude in the realm of 1.2M for one year, when we don't have much around him.
He didn’t get his spot taken, but Jackson Arnold was a true freshmen. And he was really damn good in limited opportunities. The thinking is that he would overtake Gabriel by Sept 1st of next year easily.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It’s very similar to Cam Newton….where we have the coach with deep ties to the player now as HC, but it’s still going to come down to some combination of money and prestige. We’ve gotta pay up….no two ways about it.
Truth around all this (that nobody wants to talk about) is that once money is on the table, it becomes about what is the best situation/fit for you, as always, in crootin. Money just gets you in the game. It's always been funny to me that our fans think Auburn outbid us. No - they simply were willing to pay - just like we were going to do - and he picked them because he thought he had a better chance to win there. It's not rocket science. He was also from right up the road.

Just like Gabriel will probably do, and go to Oregon. He's from Hawaii, IIRC.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I am hoping this starts to stabilize in a year or two, once #1, all these COVID 6th year clowns are gone (they remind me of baby boomers just sticking around to 'GeT wHaTs MiNe') and the boosters at all these schools stop overpaying these guys once they see the lack of return on investment.

I guess sometimes you get lucky, which is what these guys did. But they'll find out the hard way about their lack of alumni loyalty once graduated. Many of the beloved athletes always have that to fall back on, and that won't be the case with these transfer-happy guys.
I doubt it. If the money keeps flowing its not going to end.

Didn't we have some on here saying the NIL fiasco was going to die down once these "kids" had to pay taxes. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Truth around all this (that nobody wants to talk about) is that once money is on the table, it becomes about what is the best situation/fit for you, as always, in crootin. Money just gets you in the game. It's always been funny to me that our fans think Auburn outbid us. No - they simply were willing to pay - just like we were going to do - and he picked them because he thought he had a better chance to win there. It's not rocket science. He was also from right up the road.

That’s not accurate at all.

There aren’t ever situations with high profile players where a player is like “well, school A and B are both offering the exact same amount, I guess I’ll just go where I like best”. Its not a blind auction. Teams get outbid….and the winner usually comes in with a number far in excess of the runner up to secure the signature. Because if you aren’t going to go way above the other guy, why offer anything and leave it to chance?

That shouldn’t be surprising to anyone. Its no different than any of us when we take our first jobs out of college. Does anyone turn down $70k to take a $40k job because they think about things like “how well they fit, does this company suit and augment my strengths, etc.”? Hell no. We all follow the money. And honestly, we can’t know the answers to those questions with 100% certainty, anyways, but we can damn sure know what our bank account looks like. Players are no different, they just do it earlier because their prime earning years start and end sooner.

Cam is a perfect example. MSU was a far better situation on paper than Auburn was in 2010. Outside of the QB position, our roster was better than Auburn’s. It was the exact offense Cam committed to out of HS, and already had familiarity with. Gus Malzahn had a grand total of 1 year of real OC experience in the SEC when he was being recruited….with very mixed results, obviously throwing out the puppet years under Houston Nutt. Yet he still chose Auburn….because Auburn’s deal was way better. End of story. Occam’s razor.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhredPhantom

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Why

would he leave ou? They can pay him as much as others and ou built well enough to win big:
Because OU wants him to leave. Because if he doesn’t, the 5* freshmen would leave.

Nobody has the luxury of hanging on to 2 high end QB’s over the offseason anymore. OU had to choose one or the other.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

There aren’t ever situations with high profile players where a player is like “well, school A and B are both offering the exact same amount, I guess I’ll just go where I like best”. Its not a blind auction. Teams get outbid….and the winner usually comes in with a number far in excess of the runner up to secure the signature. Because if you aren’t going to go way above the other guy, why offer anything and leave it to chance?

That shouldn’t be surprising to anyone. Its no different than any of us when we take our first jobs out of college. Does anyone turn down $70k to take a $40k job because they think about things like “how well they fit, does this company suit and augment my strengths, etc.”? Hell no. We all follow the money. And honestly, we can’t know the answers to those questions with 100% certainty, anyways, but we can damn sure know what our bank account looks like. Players are no different, they just do it earlier because their prime earning years start and end sooner.

Cam is a perfect example. MSU was a far better situation on paper than Auburn was in 2010. Outside of the QB position, our roster was better than Auburn’s. It was the exact offense Cam committed to out of HS, and already had familiarity with. Gus Malzahn had a grand total of 1 year of real OC experience in the SEC when he was being recruited….with very mixed results, obviously throwing out the puppet years under Houston Nutt. Yet he still chose Auburn….because Auburn’s deal was way better. End of story. Occam’s razor.
I thought we established it was because of Boobie's drunk uncle.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Generally most of these offers are pretty close, and anyone should raise an eyebrow when an offer is way out of the norm, as that means something is up. Common sense.

On the last paragraph, they went 13-0 and won a Heisman and national title. He made the correct decision. Auburn had more overall talent than us. Real talk.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

Incorrect. He didn’t come here because Boobie’s uncle is a big meanie.***

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
On the last paragraph, they went 13-0 and won a Heisman and national title. He made the correct decision. Auburn had more overall talent than us. Real talk.
This could not be more wrong.

2011-2013 NFL Drafts, MSU had 10 players selected. Excluding Cam, Auburn had 5. We literally had roughly double the amount of high end talent.

Want to look at 2011 only (after 2010 season)? Excluding Cam, Auburn had 3 picks….Nick Fairley, and two 7th rounders. We had 4 picks, including a 1st round LT (who would have been protecting Cam’s blindside), a 4th rounder - KJ, 5th rounder - McPhee, and 6th rounder - Chris White.

You don’t have a leg to stand on here.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

2011-2013 NFL Drafts, MSU had 10 players selected. Excluding Cam, Auburn had 5. We literally had roughly double the amount of high end talent.

Want to look at 2011 only (after 2010 season)? Excluding Cam, Auburn had 3 picks….Nick Fairley, and two 7th rounders. We had 4 picks, including a 1st round LT (who would have been protecting Cam’s blindside), a 4th rounder - KJ, 5th rounder - McPhee, and 6th rounder - Chris White.

You are correct. That 2010 team was one of the best teams we ever had, despite somewhat inconsistent QB play. Our biggest problem was playing in the SEC West, which ended the season with the 1 (Auburn), 8 (LSU), 10 (Bama), 12 (Arkansas), and 15 (us) teams. Also, I know it was a different time for all teams involved, but we beat Florida, Georgia, and Michigan in the same season, which is kind of crazy to think about.

I remember Herbstreit saying that if Cam had gone to Mississippi State, it would be Mississippi State playing Oregon for the National Championship. Even Finebaum admitted on his show that Cam was the main difference between Mississippi State and Auburn that season.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
The dude was not a highly sought out high school QB in the first place. Lebby helped him excel at UCF. He followed Lebby to OU because he was comfortable with that system. He would prefer to follow him here also. OU does want him to leave so they keep the much more desirable 5* from leaving. If any of you watched this undersized 3 star play at OU you definitely know we want him. He has a better chance of excelling here with a known system

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I get the draft numbers, but I don't buy it. Their WRs were definitely better, they had 2 good tailbacks, a good TE, and 5 senior OL. Our defense was better though, but they proved that an offense that high-powered can overcome a leaky D.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
A parent of one of the other OU players is standing in store and says it's a lock for us right now. He's told the buddies on the team he's aiming for starkvegas.

• Haha
Reactions: aTotal360

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The dude was not a highly sought out high school QB in the first place. Lebby helped him excel at UCF. He followed Lebby to OU because he was comfortable with that system. He would prefer to follow him here also. OU does want him to leave so they keep the much more desirable 5* from leaving. If any of you watched this undersized 3 star play at OU you definitely know we want him. He has a better chance of excelling here with a known system
That's why I see him going to state. Why would he go to Oregon and learn a new offense and staff he's not familiar with nor usc for that matter. He's got a better chance for success and comfortability at ou or with his coaches from ou now at state. At Oregon and sc he is small fish in a sea of 5 star big fish

Reactions: patdog

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Brutal. That's a rough blow. True there are others out there but not that already know this system. Looks like KJ time. Maybe the Ms connection will bring him home. Otherwise I would just as soon ride with Parson and struggle. Ya never know how fast he will pick it up

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's why I see him going to state. Why would he go to Oregon and learn a new offense and staff he's not familiar with nor usc for that matter. He's got a better chance for success and comfortability at ou or with his coaches from ou now at state. At Oregon and sc he is small fish in a sea of 5 star big fish
How long have you been a State fan? Hard to believe you still have this level of naivety. These things never make sense logically, but then again, it absolutely does. Reread your last sentence. That's exactly why he would go to Oregon or SC.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Brutal. That's a rough blow. True there are others out there but not that already know this system. Looks like KJ time. Maybe the Ms connection will bring him home. Otherwise I would just as soon ride with Parson and struggle. Ya never know how fast he will pick it up
There’s been nothing official on this one way or the other.

Could see McCord head to Oregon and Gabriel come to MSU. Who knows.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Now they are throwing DJ Ukulele name out there. I hope that's not accurate and just something one of us has made up. KJ would be better than him. Its a waiting game I suppose. QB and DC both.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Now they are throwing DJ Ukulele name out there. I hope that's not accurate and just something one of us has made up. KJ would be better than him. Its a waiting game I suppose. QB and DC both.
If we get DJ Ugalelei, I’m absolutely done with MSU football for good. Not because I think he’d be horrible (although he might be). I just can’t handle at least 365 days of trying to spell his name on the message boards. Its a bridge too far for me.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login